TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520253035 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 Multiplayer Beta Released

"/summon ladder" is a fine workaround for missing ropearrows.

Hey, I ought to try that!

Its a little bit tricky, but with a combi of ladder and table (for e.g.) it is possible.

I got in contact with Beldrama for a bit of thievery, but we seem to be having the same problem with avatars being invisible to the other player. We tried up to Trail of Blood, and in some one was invisible to the other, and in others we were both invisible.

The only missions that worked right were Running Interference, Framed, Ambush and Trail of Blood.

We're both running Thief version 1.18, but I had to send Beldrama my DARK.GAM because he's running the Sold Out Software version. Maybe it has something to do with that?

Edit: I forgot to mention, Ambush! Seemed a bit broken to me (I was a client)... Some guards just sat there and twitched and wouldn't do anything if I tried to knock them out, and others (Specifically in Garrett's house) were just these glowing floaty things. The ones that were glowey thingies to me looked normal to Beldrama but once again, would just stand there and he couldn't knock them out.
    Last edited by Vahkrin; 29th Dec 2008 at 10:57.

I suspect that there are some differences in the Sold Out version's mission files that may be causing that. I've certainly never seen anything like what you described on Ambush, at any rate.

Try sending him your .mis file for one of the missions that did not work (where you were unable to see each other) and see if that helps. I found that even minor differences in the players' mission files is enough to cause the invisible avatar problem or worse during testing, so it's very likely that it will go away once you both have the same files.

Hi Tos, did you have a good christmas?

I'm guessing you took a break from the patch, eh?

Oh, by the way, I replied to you on the previous page.

Great, thanks.

Yeah, I've fallen a bit behind on the update. I'll try and get it done soon -- it's mostly complete, but I still haven't found a fix for the bug that's causing loot totals to be displayed incorrectly that you reported earlier. It's not too critical so I can release it without it I suppose, but I'm going to give it one more try before I do. The readme is also badly in need of an update at this point, and there are a few other things I'd like to add if time permits.

I did see your response. I still don't know what was happening with the crate problem that you ran into since I haven't been able to duplicate it. It's possible that I inadvertently fixed it somehow in my current build, but I doubt it.

I noticed, that I cant hear the noise of a client, if he hits a metaldoor for e.g. with a sword or blackjack (maybe also arrows, untested).

The time limit does not work as it should do. The timer starts already during synching and "waiting for players".
    Last edited by davidsung; 30th Dec 2008 at 05:02.

I don't know if it has been mentioned before, but I'd like to see the loot sharing thing not popping up in the inventory. It's kind of annyoing if you want to unlock a door and one of your... associates plunders a vault and de-selects your lockpicks all the time.

Plus, anyone experiencing odd problems with more than three players? It might be an issue of different game versions (and we'll try to synchronize the mission files as you suggested), but just in case.

davidsung, the noise problem is already known. Unless it happens ALL the time, but I've noticed that sometimes the sound works, sometimes it doesn't.

Edit:

Okay, I don't think this has been mentioned before, but if it has I apologize. I was hoping you might be able to fix this in a new build if you can figure out why it might be happening.. Anyway, occasionally in multiplayer my controls f. up and my character moves as if he's being remote controlled by someone else. For example: sometimes i'll just start walking really slow without even pressing buttons... I have to go to the menu screen or constantly press buttons (like mash them) in order to get control back. And I'm pretty darn sure this only happens when im playing online. Don't ever recall this occuring in singleplayer. Oh, and I second the notion of finding some way to make it where your inventory doesnt change when someone picks up loot while you are tryign to pick a lock...
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 2nd Jan 2009 at 23:18. Reason: Rather than double posting thought I would just update this post.

T2X (MH.TheFreak and davidsung)

Does Zaya has an avatar ? I wonder how she looks like.

Oh, I wanted to ask you Tos, is there any reason why you decided to use pink for the in-game text? And is there a way to change it?

Permanently Enlarged
    That's odd, my ingame text was always white...

Quote Originally Posted by davidsung View Post
    I noticed, that I cant hear the noise of a client, if he hits a metaldoor for e.g. with a sword or blackjack (maybe also arrows, untested).

The time limit does not work as it should do. The timer starts already during synching and "waiting for players".
    The only way I can think of to fix the collision sounds right now would be more effort than it's worth. Other players do not know when your sword or blackjack has hit an object, so their client would need to be told to play the collision sound when that happens. Unfortunately, playing networked sounds like that seems to be a major contributor to the sound corruption issue I mentioned in the readme, and I try to avoid sending sound packets whenever possible. This isn't a problem with projectiles though, just melee weapons.

I knew about the problem with the timer, but didn't feel it was enough of a problem to remove the time limit feature. With the way it's implemented right now I can't really get it to pause when time isn't passing, but I may go back and rework it at some point in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    I don't know if it has been mentioned before, but I'd like to see the loot sharing thing not popping up in the inventory. It's kind of annyoing if you want to unlock a door and one of your... associates plunders a vault and de-selects your lockpicks all the time.

Plus, anyone experiencing odd problems with more than three players? It might be an issue of different game versions (and we'll try to synchronize the mission files as you suggested), but just in case.
    I'd definitely make sure that the mission and gamesys files are synchronized between everyone. While most of the pre-release testing was done with only two players, I don't think you should run into any unusual problems with more than two.

I found a somewhat hackish way of preventing auto equip for shared loot items even if you have auto equip on in the game options, so that'll be in the next release. Lockpicking shouldn't be interrupted any more if another player picks up loot.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    Oh, I wanted to ask you Tos, is there any reason why you decided to use pink for the in-game text? And is there a way to change it?
    Er, it looks red to me actually. No particular reason though, I just used the same color that SS2 does for player 1's chat in MP. I can add an option to change it.

Not sure why some people are getting white text. It shows as red for me on both of my computers with or without ddfix.

Okay, I don't think this has been mentioned before, but if it has I apologize. I was hoping you might be able to fix this in a new build if you can figure out why it might be happening.. Anyway, occasionally in multiplayer my controls f. up and my character moves as if he's being remote controlled by someone else.
    Does this happen after you send a chat message? If so, try pressing t and then enter when it happens again. SS2 has the same problem with the chat box, so blame the Dark engine for this one instead of me.

I honestly don't know, I haven't been checking if it happens afterwards. It seems more like it happens at random.

I finally got around to downloading A Thief's Holiday 2004 (or more accurately, sNeaksieGarrett's modification of it), and I made some changes in the current build that have fixed most of the objectives that previously couldn't be completed by clients. These changes should improve compatibility with FMs across the board, and may fix some things in the original missions as well.

Turns out that most of the problems with that particular FM were being caused by the fact that the Dark engine won't propagate the reactions that an object make to stimuli across the network if that object is being hosted by another player. This has now been changed, and certain types of reactions will now be sent to the owner of the object (usually the host of the game) if a client does something that initiates one. Networked reactions will have to be added on a case-by-case basis though since some of them should remain un-networkable, so let me know if there are any other strange problems with fan missions after the next release.

Even better, this new system has allowed me to completely fix the problems with client blackjacks. Guards that are knocked out by clients will now play the correct death animation and sounds (and no longer alert nearby guards with their death screams, thankfully).

I believe that the client can now complete all of the objectives on A Thief's Holiday on normal difficulty, with the exception of the one that involves using matches on the fireplace. That one's going to take a bit more work unfortunately, because whatever's causing some objects to begin the mission in an "activated" state for clients (the lights on the tree, the fireplace, and the faucets for example) is breaking that. I have a feeling that this one is going to be difficult to fix...

Quote Originally Posted by Tos View Post
    Even better, this new system has allowed me to completely fix the problems with client blackjacks. Guards that are knocked out by clients will now play the correct death animation and sounds (and no longer alert nearby guards with their death screams, thankfully).
    Keep up the good work

This has now been changed, and certain types of reactions will now be sent to the owner of the object (usually the host of the game) if a client does something that initiates one.
    Would this change resolve the bug with the (gas)mines (mines by other players do not detonate if they come to close)?

Quote Originally Posted by Tos
    Turns out that most of the problems with that particular FM were being caused by the fact that the Dark engine won't propagate the reactions that an object make to stimuli across the network if that object is being hosted by another player. This has now been changed, and certain types of reactions will now be sent to the owner of the object (usually the host of the game) if a client does something that initiates one. Networked reactions will have to be added on a case-by-case basis though since some of them should remain un-networkable, so let me know if there are any other strange problems with fan missions after the next release.
    Not sure what you mean by all this, as I'm no programmer, but sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by davidsung View Post
    Would this change resolve the bug with the (gas)mines (mines by other players do not detonate if they come to close)?
    Do mines detonate if you get near them in single player? If not, I very much doubt this will change that -- the game probably just doesn't consider players to be valid targets for mines. That shouldn't be very difficult to change, though.

The player and AIs can activate mines (Singleplayer). So I noticed (as host) that my clients can't activate my mines by nearing. Maybe someone else would like to try to reproduce this (?) bug?

Hey Tos, I've got a new report:

I finally just beat another fan mission with pavlovscat (yes I know it's not an original mission and is not priority to fix problems in fan missions, but I at least wanted to mention what I found as observations.) It's called The Skull of St. Yora (pretty good mission I might add.) Anyway, on subsequent reloads of our saved game, we found out that a key we needed to beat the mission was deleted from pav's inventory. Never had anything delete itself before, but apparently there's something wrong with loading saved games, as she told me she didn't have the key (and some others were "deleted" as well it seems.) Luckly, I figured out that I could summon the key we needed thanks to your "/summon" command, and we were able to beat the mission. Yay for /summon.

Another bug that I am not sure has been discussed before is respawning of the host player. For some reason in this fan mission, if the host dies it's game over. I would briefly respawn, and then we'd get the skull n' crossbones. Could this perhaps be a conflict with some script in this fan mission? I know the host can spawn in other missions, such as the OMs.

Oh btw...

I think it is after using text that movement gets messed up... I also get this other strange thing that happens after typing a message and hitting enter: my inventory items will come up and be changed. Like, in St. Yora's, my rope arrow would be equipped and the ancient scroll would suddenly be shown in inventory.

I forgot to mention (it's only happened once so far, and I don't know how to make it happen again) that I got this really weird error message one time when trying to connect online:
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 5th Jan 2009 at 17:32. Reason: Forgot something...

Keeper of FMs
    While we were playing Skull of St Yora as a client, I noticed that when I threw mines at a bot, it didn't set them off, neither did I.

Okay, I've fixed the problem with mines. They should work much better now.

Hey Tos, I've got a new report...
    The saved game problem is odd. I'm not sure what could cause objects to be deleted from the inventory after loading one -- is it relatively easy to reproduce this bug? Would I run into this problem shortly after beginning the mission, or would I need to play for a bit to run into it?

The mission ending when the host dies sounds like an objectives problem to me. Maybe dying in that FM causes a required objective to fail and ends the mission?

The text box problem is unfortunate and I'm not yet sure how to fix it. Most of the chat system in T2 MP is my own creation (since Thief didn't have any existing code for it), but it uses Dark engine functions to manage the chat box and they seem to be responsible for this problem in Thief and SS2.

The assertion error that you got means that the archetype for the avatar you had selected in player settings wasn't created properly. Not sure how that could have happened. If you figure out how to get that to happen again, let me know.

Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520253035 ... LastLast