TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722273237 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 Multiplayer Beta Released

I have big problems with my main computer when trying to host, join or view global server. I can't find the global server even if I shut down my firewall. When I try to host the game I get these messages:

Failed to initialize server. (80158180)
    Successfully hosted game. Awaiting connections.
    Failed to create local player.

Any help would be great.

EDIT:

Also on my laptop I've tried to create a new server when using WLAN. My server is visible in global server but ping is ???. When I refresh it the debug console says it tries to ping my LAN IP address, not my WLAN IP address. Is this how WLAN works or am I missing something here?
    Last edited by Wille; 13th Jan 2009 at 10:15.

Did you see this Wille, few posts up?

Quote Originally Posted by Tos
    That means that the server did not respond to the ping sent from your computer, but that the global server did do its job and sent information about the server to you (it sends everything about the server to you other than the current number of players and the ping -- that information is only retrieved when you successfully ping the server). If you can't ping the server, then it's very unlikely that you will be able to connect.

If the server doesn't respond to the ping, it usually means that the host is behind a router or firewall and hasn't forwarded the port ...

Yes I saw it and I have forwarded the correct port 5198. However I still can't find the global server let alone host or join a game. I was able to create a game on older version though.

EDIT:

It seems I cannot create a game on older version anymore. I wonder what's wrong because even if I disable firewall it still doesn't work .
    Last edited by Wille; 13th Jan 2009 at 15:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Wille View Post
    When I try to host the game I get these messages:

Do you still get the "failed to initialize server" error if you uncheck list on global in the host game window? With build 195, you'll get the rather cryptic "failed to initialize server" even if the server itself hosted just fine, but you were unable to connect to the global. This has been fixed, and the next build will have much more detailed error messages. Which older version were you able to host with?

Just to be absolutely sure, you might want to run dxdiag (Go to start, run, and type in dxdiag) and make sure that you have at least DirectX version 9.0c, and that no errors are reported in the Network tab.

When I refresh it the debug console says it tries to ping my LAN IP address, not my WLAN IP address.
    Are you sure about this? According to the global server's logs, and assuming you were hosting "Wille's Thief 2 Server", it doesn't look as if the global server was listing an internal IP address for you (it wasn't a 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x address.).

Quote Originally Posted by Tos View Post
    Do you still get the "failed to initialize server" error if you uncheck list on global in the host game window? With build 195, you'll get the rather cryptic "failed to initialize server" even if the server itself hosted just fine, but you were unable to connect to the global. This has been fixed, and the next build will have much more detailed error messages. Which older version were you able to host with?
    I was able to host with 185 I guess but that was weeks ago, something might have happened after that.

I tried hosting without global server and got these messages:

Just to be absolutely sure, you might want to run dxdiag (Go to start, run, and type in dxdiag) and make sure that you have at least DirectX version 9.0c, and that no errors are reported in the Network tab.
    DirectX version is correct. However, there seems to be lots of errors in dxdiag's network tab regarding DirectPlay8 settings. Could this be the problem?

Are you sure about this? According to the global server's logs, and assuming you were hosting "Wille's Thief 2 Server", it doesn't look as if the global server was listing an internal IP address for you (it wasn't a 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x address.).
    I hosted both WLAN and LAN server today on my laptop and I was able to ping the LAN server. WLAN server pinged wrong non existing LAN IP address.
    Last edited by Wille; 13th Jan 2009 at 16:26.

I will now host a WLAN server on my laptop. Can you see its IP somewhere Tos?

There seems to be lots of errors in dxdiag's network tab regarding DirectPlay8 settings. Could this be the problem?
    I think that definitely is the problem, especially if you're only getting "failed to initialize server" on that one computer. Could you paste the errors from the network tab here (or at least a few of them if it's a lot)?

Regardless, you should try re-installing DirectX. If you have Windows XP, you can get the DX 9.0c redistributable from here.

I will now host a WLAN server on my laptop. Can you see its IP somewhere Tos?
    Yes, I see it right now. I won't post your entire IP address here, but I will say that it begins with 88, so it's definitely not an internal network address.

I think that definitely is the problem, especially if you're only getting "failed to initialize server" on that one computer. Could you paste the errors from the network tab here (or at least a few of them if it's a lot)?
    It's all in Finnish but they are all registry related. Following network items are broken:

Directplay8 TCP/IP Service Provider
    Directplay8 IPX Service Provider
    Directplay8 Modem Service Provider
    Directplay8 Serial Service Provider

And I think I know why they are broken. I installed Fallout 3 not long ago and managed to skip the Windows Live install using my firewall (no need for that garbage). That must have damaged my DirectX somehow.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what's doing it. Reinstalling DirectX will probably clear it up.

If you still aren't able to get it to work even once those error messages have been taken care of, try again once I release the next update. T2 MP will tell you exactly what went wrong if it fails to connect to or host a server from the next build and on, so it should be a bit easier to figure out what the problem is.

It's working at last !

I had to revert all the way to some November 2008 Windows XP recovery point to fix the DirectX, but it was worth it .

Thanks again for your help and of course for the multiplayer itself .

Just how important is the T2 .gam file for a FM to be multiplayer? I'm completely redoing my gamesys, almost from scratch, for design purposes. To what extent will this affect my FMs compatibility with multiplayer, and do I have to add anything for it to work?

That's unclear, seeing as compatibility varies from FM to FM. Some FMs work fine, others do not. I believe it has to do with how complicated they are with scipting and what not. As far as what FM designers need to "add for anything to work," nothing (though this is just observation on my part, wait for Tos to respond); except if you want multiple spawn points (so people don't spawn inside each other) - if you want to see how I did the spawn points, check out my recently re-released version of Yandros' A Thief's Holiday 2004 Multiplayer Edition

Quote Originally Posted by all View Post
    Just how important is the T2 .gam file for a FM to be multiplayer? I'm completely redoing my gamesys, almost from scratch, for design purposes. To what extent will this affect my FMs compatibility with multiplayer, and do I have to add anything for it to work?
    You shouldn't need to make any changes to the .gam for it to work. When a multiplayer mission is loaded, T2 MP applies the changes to the gamesys that it needs for multiplayer to work by itself (in memory obviously, the file is not written to). This will override anything you've changed in the gamesys yourself. If necessary, I can provide a list of the changes that are patched in, but I don't think they'd be of too much interest to an FM designer as they're mostly changes to some archetypes' multiplayer properties.

All in all, there isn't really anything you should have to do to make a fan mission work in multiplayer. There are a few things you should stay away from for now (such as using certain types of switches for elevators that will break them for clients or requiring that players pick up arrows -- see the list of known issues). Creating multiple spawn points would be good, but it's not required either. The problems that were occurring due to multiple players having control of the items linked to the mission's starting point/loadout cache will be resolved in the next build, so you don't need to worry about linking unique objects to each player's starting point in order to fix that.

On a (somewhat) unrelated note, does anyone know if there are multiple versions of gen.osm floating around or if any fan missions have included a version of it that differs from Thief 2 1.18's? With the way I have things set up right now, the next build is going to require an unmodified 1.18 gen.osm in order to fix some problems with the original scripts in multiplayer.

It seems as if the Sold Out version may have a different version of it according to this thread, but if that's the only different version I have to contend with I can just include the original gen.osm in the T2 MP download. If there are some fan missions that rely on a different version of gen though, I may have to rethink my implementation of the script changes.

The problems that were occurring due to multiple players having control of the items linked to the mission's starting point/loadout cache will be resolved in the next build, so you don't need to worry about linking unique objects to each player's starting point in order to fix that.
    If I understand you correctly, does that then mean that players will have their own unique inventories? Therefore, multiple spawn points (will still be needed, right?) will not need any linking to unique player inventory objects?

Regarding gen.osm: Can you post the specifications of the gen.osm? My guess is it is the march 27, 2000 version, correct? I found an FM with that version of gen.osm in my FM folder on a quick look. I think your best bet on finding out is to ask in the fan mission forums, or in the editor's guild. But your guess is as good as mine as to how many gen.osms are floating around. I would guess maybe 3 versions? Thief 2 1.18's, Sold Out Software Thief 2 1.18's, and maybe a T2 Premiere one? No idea, just speculation.

I can just include the original gen.osm in the T2 MP download
    I think that is a good idea.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 15th Jan 2009 at 15:23.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    If I understand you correctly, does that then mean that players will have their own unique inventories? Therefore, multiple spawn points (will still be needed, right?) will not need any linking to unique player inventory objects?
    That's right, everyone has their own inventory now.

Disgustingly enough, it turned out that the whole problem could be solved by changing a single byte in the executable from 0 to 1 before the players synchronize. Imagine my frustration when I found this out, considering I'd been attempting to fix this for nearly a year now.

edit: Yes, my version of gen.osm is dated 3/27/2000.

jtr7
    Oh man, Tos, that's terrible!

Whew! Disgust indeed. Thanks for your awesome dedication!

I suppose my comment on the ease of setup comes from me using the Vista kernel (on Windows 7 now).

Basically, every time I update to a new build, I have to run a virtual machine with XPSP2 to apply DDFix and the Widescreen patch properly, which is of course NOT something you're responsible for fixing. There is something that you might be able to identify though. I could apply DDFix manually to the executable and that works fine, but then when I apply the Widescreen patch I get corrupted graphics and (in Running Interference, for example) the game crashes if I turn the camera in any direction.

I'm guessing it's due the the large changes in code? I don't really understand since I repeated the manual steps with the "vanilla" executable and had no problems, same with Thief Gold, but now I'm required to run the GUI version or it fails terribly.

In short, for Vista (kernel) users, the method required to properly patch your MP executables for DDFix and then Widescreen requires about 6-7 minutes worth of work for a 30second job. It really only applies to users on that platform, but I assume that it'll only get worse and perhaps there's something that either you or I am missing?

Also, can you give me a brief explanation as to why picking up Arrows/etc is broken? Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BioGenx2b View Post
    Basically, every time I update to a new build...
    Hmm, not sure what to tell you about the ddfix and widescreen patch issues since I'm on XP. There's an easy solution though: there's actually no need to replace the executable when you upgrade to a new build. The .exe was only modified to load ThiefMP.dll at startup, which is what's responsible for all of the real changes. The .exe file in the archive is actually the same one that's been distributed since the first release, so if you already have it there's no need to extract it again.

I'll be switching over to an installer for the next release (though I'll still give people the option of downloading a .zip), and I'll see if I can have it run a CRC check on the executable to determine whether it's already patched or not and avoid replacing it if so. Thanks for letting me know about this.

As for the arrows, I posted an explanation of this a while back here, a few paragraphs down. The next build will fix the pick up problems for every type of item other than projectiles, but I'm not sure how I'm going to fix those just yet. Not being able to pick them up is definitely an annoyance and coming up with a fix is pretty high up on my to-do list, so I hope to have it solved eventually.

Somthing I recently experienced at Gervasius' after I died. This was even stuck in the saves.

I was glad to be on a laptop so I could turn the whole machine and see correct again. Just in 10:16 tallscreen.

Ah, the infamous post-respawn bug. I've had that happen to me as well. Rather strange isn't it? Not sure why it happens though, but it was mentioned once before.

------

While I'm on the subject, I have a request for anyone who knows more about DromEd than I do: is it possible to create a trigger of some sort that will apply the Knockout stimulus to an AI and actually knock them out?

Right now, when clients hit an AI object with a blackjack the host determines whether the AI is currently aware of the player or not, and then applies a BashStim with an intensity of 9999 to it if they're not (thereby killing it, which is why they appear to die). ...
    Hmm, I was going over an old post of yours, and was wondering if you had done just what you asked from there, as I know that player blackjacking works correctly in the latest build now.

It's been my experience that health potions always work, but some of the throwable inventory items (mines, flash bombs) will occasionally either not work at all for some players, or will appear to have infinite uses (the number remaining won't go down in that player's inventory, but it will actually disappear from your inventory anyways when you're out of them).
    Could you add this little bit to the readme? I know you mention that items "won't work properly" in the readme, but that's rather vague. For the benefit of those that don't feel like reading through all these posts, it would be nice to mention the "appearance of infinite uses" bug.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 18th Jan 2009 at 18:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Child Of Karras View Post
    Somthing I recently experienced at Gervasius' after I died. This was even stuck in the saves...
    Hmm, I don't know why this keeps happening. It seems to be extremely rare (at least for me), so I haven't had much luck tracking it down. I don't suppose you were doing anything unusual at the time it happened or have any idea how to reproduce it?

I did find a minor problem in the respawn code that could have been causing this, but it's hard to say whether I've fixed it or not since I don't know how to get it to happen. If the problem persists into the next release, I may have to just disable the whole "head tilting" thing on death in multiplayer games to stop this.

Hmm, I was going over an old post of yours, and was wondering if you had done just what you asked from there, as I know that player blackjacking works correctly in the latest build now.
    Blackjacking was fixed when I found a way for players to forward some act/react events to the hosts of remote objects.

Could you add this little bit to the readme? I know you mention that items "won't work properly" in the readme, but that's rather vague. For the benefit of those that don't feel like reading through all these posts, it would be nice to mention the "appearance of infinite uses" bug.
    This has been fixed already, along with the other inventory problems.

I see. Well, I can't remember having done anything unusual, well, it was a cannon ball that sent me to hell.

Permanently Enlarged
    I noticed that if you die again after that happens, it seems to correct itself. It might be a problem in respawning that the timer doesn't give the tilting time to elapse fully, causing you to slowly tilt.

The next build should be released within the next week or so [...]
    Did I miss the new Build while ttlg.com was down?

Nope, I was helping Tos test recently; it's not ready yet as far as I can tell. We found an issue with the server browser, but I know that it has been fixed now.

Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722273237 ... LastLast