TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718232833 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 Multiplayer Beta Released

The next update should be released within the next few days, if not sooner.

I decided to add a few more features than I'd originally planned during the down time. In addition to a host of other fixes, I've (mostly) fixed the problems with picking up projectiles. I say mostly because the fix does not yet apply to rope or vine arrows that players fire into surfaces in the world and those still can't be picked back up, but every other type of arrow (and rope and vine arrows that were pre-placed in the mission) can now be picked up.

Additionally, I've finally begun to make some progress with figuring out the Dark's engine's UI code. I doubt any of this will be in the next build, but I've been able to create a new (though somewhat rudimentary) menu screen, and draw System Shock 2-style overlays on the screen. This means that there is some hope for eventually abandoning the Windows GUI for T2 MP and moving it all in-game, and *possibly* drawing books and the automap on-screen in the game world rather than switching back to the menu to display them (and pausing the game for everyone in the process). At the very least, an overlay will be used to display toggleable statistics for all of the players in the game such as names and ping.

Here's a few very early screenshots:
    The first page of System Shock 2's multiplayer menu in Thief, modified a bit
    Drawing SS2's on-screen map overlay
    The quite incomplete player statistics overlay

jtr7
    Fantastic as always, Tos.

An obvious point probably not worth noting, since you know it anyway, but I hope if you put in those overlays that you make them suitably Thiefy and medieval in their aesthetic.

Getting everything in-game would be a terrific improvement!

I'm actually pleasantly surprised how quickly and substantially this has been improving since you released the first beta version. I was really under the impression that that first version was already pushing the boundaries, and that it was really a bug-fixing sort of beta and further improvements would be slow and small. But it's just been getting better and better every new version, and your ambitions just don't slow down, and you released it more for our sakes to start playing with it right away.

A little humbling to think how lucky we are.
    Consider me a card-carrying member of the chorus of appreciation.

Permanently Enlarged
    I have no idea why, but the SS2 menu just looks... Right. I know, I'm weird.

Exceptional work as always, mein freund.

My goal is to integrate this as smoothly as possible with the original game, so the SS2 resources are definitely just temporary. I'm thinking I may reuse Thief 2's options menu artwork for the multiplayer menu, since that will give me plenty of room to display information and settings. I still have a ways to go with this before I can get a menu that complex working though, I think.

I'll be removing the black background on the player statistics (which is currently only there so I can tell where the borders are) and I hope that I'll be able to darken the game world in the background so the text stands out a bit better while the overlay is being displayed. I'm not completely sure that the engine can do this yet, but it's worth a try.

Permanently Enlarged
    Perhaps a (modifiable) gamma override?

I dunno though, I actually have grown to like the windows multiplayer screen as it is now. The only thing about it I don't care for is the alt tabbing. But I guess when it's in-game there will be no more alt tabbing and will be easier to use?

Hm... I've tried my own FM with the MP mod and now I have a strange problem with it. I created a winrar archive and installed it as a general fan mission with Darkloader. But in the game I didn't see the other player and he didn't see me either, only e.g. the arrows.

I chose a different way afterwards: I copied the single folders and mission files into my Thief 2 directory and started the MP mod...and Windows sent me this error message:

I have no idea what it wants to tell me.

I think that my own gamesys could be the reason for this crash but on the other hand I really doubt it. Any help appreciated.

Ah, I've seen that message before. have you tried Ignore? (or whatever it is in german that is) If it pops up again, hit ignore again. Should still load.

The invisible person thing has been discussed, please look in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrot View Post
    Hm... I've tried my own FM with the MP mod and now I have a strange problem with it...
    Sorry for the lack of explanation in that error message. That means that Thief MP failed to create the player avatar archetypes during the mission load, which probably explains why you're unable to see each other. It may very well be related to your custom gamesys somehow (did you remove or rename the "Garrett" archetype?). You should definitely try it with the default gamesys, just to see what happens. If this happens every time you load the mission and you're still unable to figure out what's causing it, upload your FM somewhere and I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by RavynousHunter View Post
    Perhaps a (modifiable) gamma override?
    I think that would affect the entire screen (including the overlay), which isn't really what I wanted. I was able to get the engine to apply a transparent black layer to the game world when the overlay is active though, and it looks much better now with that and the old black background removed.

I used the command /s by mistake (should be /summon) and the game crash with this errormessage:
    Last edited by davidsung; 1st Feb 2009 at 13:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Tos View Post
    Additionally, I've finally begun to make some progress with figuring out the Dark's engine's UI code. I doubt any of this will be in the next build, but I've been able to create a new (though somewhat rudimentary) menu screen, and draw System Shock 2-style overlays on the screen. This means that there is some hope for eventually abandoning the Windows GUI for T2 MP and moving it all in-game, and *possibly* drawing books and the automap on-screen in the game world rather than switching back to the menu to display them (and pausing the game for everyone in the process). At the very least, an overlay will be used to display toggleable statistics for all of the players in the game such as names and ping.

Here's a few very early screenshots:
    The first page of System Shock 2's multiplayer menu in Thief, modified a bit
    Drawing SS2's on-screen map overlay
    The quite incomplete player statistics overlay
    This is so exciting.

/s is actually a shortcut for /summon and will do the same thing. The command was crashing the game if you didn't specify an object name, and I've fixed that now.

Build 205 has been released, and the Thief Multiplayer website has finally been launched:

http://thief.procyonserver.com

A list of changes is available on the site. This is also the first version to include an automated installer, which I recommend using rather than downloading the .zip version, though that is still provided. The installer will allow you to choose whether or not to install the versions of dark.gam and gen.osm that were distributed with the Thief 2 1.18 patch. Installing them is not required, but Thief 2 will no longer start if you do not have the 1.18 version of gen.osm.

The installer will also automatically detect whether your game executable has already been patched and will no longer overwrite it if so (which used to force you to reapply patches like ddfix or widescreen). If you are upgrading from an older version the .exe will still be overwritten since the file version was changed in build 205 to facilitate the auto-detection, but any upgrades you do from this point on will not replace it.

AWESOME. Thanks Tos

Quote Originally Posted by Tos from website
    - The default text color used for chat and some other on-screen messages can now be edited in ThiefMP.ini using the TextColor setting. Standard HTML color codes will work.
    Is there any limitations on colors, or would any HTML color codes work?

Btw, the website looks fantastic.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 1st Feb 2009 at 15:59.

Well done.

Incredible thing you are doing here! A random day of wanting some classic gaming, and my all time favorite gets a complete makeover. Who would have thought it?

*Sighs*

I foresee long hours of thieving and dromed experimenting once again...

And of course thankyou for all you have done on the project Tos; a few minutes look through the forums and its obvious you are wholeheartedly dedicated to it. I swear, thief is more popular now than it has ever been

Quote Originally Posted by Homepage
    • Reworked AI speech broadcasts for clients. Clients can hear speech regardless of how far the host is from them, and idle sounds are now audible.
    - Clients can now trigger events linked to marker objects (such as conversations).
    Quote Originally Posted by ReadMe
    AI Issues
    • Conversations can only be triggered by the host of the game.
    • Guard voices will not play for clients if the host is a long distance away from them.
    I think, the readme is not up-to-date?

hmm, did you install it with the installer program? The manual version appears to have the up-to-date readme.

The readme appears to be up-to-date for me with both versions. Are you sure it was installed correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    Is there any limitations on colors, or would any HTML color codes work?
    Anything should work, as far as I know. Give it a try.

Build 205 has been released, and the Thief Multiplayer website has finally been launched:

http://thief.procyonserver.com
    Tos, this is really awesome.

I'm curious, for fan mission purposes, about why certain OMs are more compatible than others... Has this been explained elsewhere? And also, what needs to be changed in the .gam file in order for a mission to be mp compatible? The reason I ask is that I'm wondering about fms with custom .gam files...

Sorry if this has already been explained before
    Last edited by all; 1st Feb 2009 at 17:15.

All, did you completely miss page 12?

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...52#post1811352

Your second question was already explained on page 12. Take a look there.

Keeper of FMs
    Congrats, Tos! Nice website. I am looking forward to playing with the new patch. Thanks again for all your hard work.

Are you sure it was installed correctly?
    My fault.

Thanks for the new release Tos!

Last night I had a minor issue while playing with a friend on Eavesdropping. When I picked a holy hammer (I believe it was a hammer) in one of the underground crypts, i couldn't throw it away! I mean, i was hitting 'throw' and 'drop' buttons like a madman, but the hammer just glued to Garrett's hands and stayed with me. It took me a couple of minutes to get rid of the junk. I really have no idea what could've caused such a strange bug.

Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718232833 ... LastLast