TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3813182324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 Multiplayer Beta Released

Hey, I was wondering if there was any way to run Thief MP with the widescreen thing on.
    I says that "The requested screen mode could not be set" and gives me an ugly and narrow view.

edit: I just tried installing it before ddfix or widescreen. It worked fine after installing ddfix, but after the widescreen install it wanted me to install directx7 or something?
    Last edited by DotDotDot; 13th Jun 2011 at 12:23.

Check this:
    http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...9#NeedDirectX7

Also, i dont know what version of ddfix you are using, but I've heard that the newer releases now have widescreen included so you don't even need the "widescreen patch"

Other information:

You should post in the legacy gaming tech help forum, not in the thief general discussion.

See this thread for a comprehensive list of technical troubleshooting FAQs

Unfortunately it has still not been stickied, so you may want to bookmark it or save the link for future use.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 13th Jun 2011 at 15:21.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post

Also, i dont know what version of ddfix you are using, but I've heard that the newer releases now have widescreen included so you don't even need the "widescreen patch"
    Well that explains it then I guess. Thanks for your help!

The problem is that posting in those threads, you don't get an answer for days, and he got an answer here in a few hours.

Anyway, I'm getting the same "DirectX version 7 isn't installed" error with ddfix. I extracted ddfix.zip into my root folder, use the prepatched exe, the ddfix.dll is sitting in the root directory, & I didn't touch the compatibility settings. So I don't understand why I'm getting the error, since the FAQ makes it sound like those are the only two ways you can get it (not having the .dll in the root folder or compatibility settings.) Or did I miss something? But reply in the thread I posted above so this doesn't go off topic.

Edit: I already feel bad posting here, but I was waiting a long time in the right thread and when I saw the above I just trigger posted, sorry...
    Last edited by demagogue; 14th Jun 2011 at 09:59.

Problem starting

Hello, I am new to these forums. I come to address a problem I am experiencing with your multiplayer game. Whenever I try to start the thief2.exe program, this happens:

The console window opens up, then this pops up.

'Thief2: The Metal Age has stopped working. Windows will try to look for a solution.'

It looks for one, fails, then closes the program. I am running on windows 7. I've tried running as admin, no dice. plz halp

Firstly, welcome to the forums. Secondly, great name you got there

To address your problem, let's try working on compatibility mode on the exe:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thief2_compat..png 
Views:	9 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	979

Try Disable Desktop Composition

and

Run this program in compatibility mode for:

Windows XP Service Pack 2

If it doesn't work, try just one or the other.

Nope, none of that seemed to have worked either. I really don't understand the problem here... The program opens up all fine and dandy, no errors, but I get the "stopped working" message about 1 second after it opens. Very strange

Also, thanks I like my name too

Edit: It may have something to do with my video card? Windows is saying it needs to switch to "basic" color scheme for the program to work. It doesnt help, though. Also, I before got a message on the console screen that said something like "Doesn't run avi's"... That must mean my AVI graphics card. The drivers are all up to date. I've tried rolling back to a previous version of Thief MP. No luck. Perhaps Tos would know?
    Last edited by What_The_Taff; 21st Jul 2011 at 19:43.

Ok, are you using ddfix as well, or just the mp patch?

Not using DDfix, no. Should I? Would that solve the problem?

Well, all i can say is it is worth a try. What you need to do is back up your exe first , and then apply the ddfix patch to your exe (or download one of the prepatched exes, which is why you'd want to back up your old exe.) Here's a link.

Also, any other technical questions you have should be directed in the same forum the above thread is in, as this forum here is more for discussion rather than tech help.

Hmm. I don't see how DDfix would help, since it is a fix for Nvidia cards, which I am not using... Honestly, I don't see why it's not working. It just crashes when I open it. Does it have to do with multiprocessors? I know the Thief games don't like multiprocessing. There must be SOME fix for it. I wish Tos would address this problem.

Ddfix has a multicore processing fix included. (It may be meant for nvidia but it works on ati as well, I'm using it as we speak.)
    Speaking of which, d'oh, why didn't that occur to me? That may be your issue. If you don't want to use ddfix, then I suggest trying to run the game with one core if you haven't already tried that.

I haven't heard from Tos in a while , and I have a feeling he's not interested in this project anymore. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, Tos.)
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 21st Jul 2011 at 23:40.

Well, that's great and all, but it's hard to set affinity when the program crashes right away. I mean, i can get to the set affinity option, but it just says "The operation could not be completed. Access is denied." So i can't actually set it to run on one core. Unless theres a way to make it so it starts with only one core inthe first place.

Hey, i'm trying to help, so work with me here. Yes, there's multiple ways to set up processor affinity. May I suggest you check out this FAQ thread.

So the ways that come to mind are:

-ddfix

-using task manager ; obviously you can't because the game crashes too quickly, which also suggests it might not be an affinity problem after all (just occured to me.) From what I understand, the dual core related crash happens after playing the game for a few minutes. (Game just freezes.)

-using a program like FlipTIB from morosetroll or RunFirst

-using imagecfg (check the FAQ thread please)

-using windows vista/7's affinity commands on the shortcut

Quote Originally Posted by What_The_Taff View Post
    Also, I before got a message on the console screen that said something like "Doesn't run avi's"...
    Try renaming MOVIES folder. This will eliminate the possibility that the crash is because of intro movie codec problem.

I've been a fool. I didn't set up the Thief MP properly in the first place. I should have extracted all the files into my existing Thief2 folder, but instead i created a new one. No wonder it didn't work! I tried to run it with over 100 files missing! It works now. Gee, I'm an idiot. What The Taff was I thinking?

Oops. You mean you were trying to run thief2.exe from a seperate folder?

Oops. You mean you were trying to run thief2.exe from a seperate folder?

Yes. Exactly that. Do'h!

So, who wants to play co-op?

If you're looking for people to play with, you may want to check here.

Me and WTT are going through T2 together.
    Don't think he mentioned this was his first time playing it. Interesting watching someone's first time playing. I get to show him a few easter eggs like dancing zombies. He doesn't get the story very well in MP, but still a lot of fun.

Damn... 2 servers, yet they're closed due to playing.

The best thing to play in coop with completely unknown (and large) FM missions. (for example When Still...)

T2X nearly played through - time for new maps and new Thief2MP version ;p

Lot of fun!

Is the project dead?

Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3813182324252627282930313233 ... LastLast