TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 271217222728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 Multiplayer Beta Released

I've finally managed to get the multiplayer window to launch, after downloading MSVCP71.dll and placing it in my Thief 2 folder, but I'm unable to host.

I press "OK" on the host window, the game maximizes to a mostly black screen as if it's about to work, then crashes.

I'm running the Steam version of Thief II, on Windows 7. Idears, anybody?

I want it to work with 1.19 ..

Well the source is out there for T2MP, but it uses Windows C++ stuff. So unless someone steps up to the plate and has the proper version of the C++ compiler, then no attempts to making it 1.19 compatible will be made.

If I'm sounding redundant, it's because I feel your pain.

Okay, but now I want it to work with 1.20 instead

Any news about compatibility with New Dark?

Nope.

The issue is it needs somebody that (1) knows how to code for multiplayer kinds of things, (2) is familiar with Tos's code with Tos gone (at least it's open now for people to look at), (3) is familiar with the mystery dev's New Dark code with mystery dev not around (and it isn't even open, is it?), and after all that (4) has the time & energy to do it. Those are four big hurdles that I think limits who can even take up the task.

Yup, that about nails it.

Last News

Hell, if it's not too hard, perhaps I could take a look at it if it's simply rerouting stuff into the new thief2.exe. I'm not really a coder, but maybe if Tos gave me or someone else around here some pointers on what to do that'd be cool. I know he doesn't really feel up to doing anything right now. Well, at least from last time I talked to him. Another problem is getting his code to work in whatever IDE one is using.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple.

Since T2MP relies on patching specific memory locations in thief2.exe (all of which will be different in the new .exe), someone would need to disassemble the new .exe and manually inspect the assembly code (likely comparing it with the original 1.18 thief2.exe) to figure out where it has moved to. This would be a lot of work given the number of patches T2MP makes, and would need to be redone each time the .exe is recompiled.

Thanks for sticking your head back in here Tos.

So there you have it aspiring coders out there. If you really wanna see T2MP in NewDark, get crackin with the inspection!

Thanks for the response Tos. The ideal would be for Tos's code to be integrated into New Dark so they update together from now on. I just wish we could get a message to mystery dev to take it into consideration.

Yeah. If anyone from this forum knows french perhaps someone could relay that over at that french forum and maybe Le Corbeau will see it.

Zombified
    Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    Yeah. If anyone from this forum knows french perhaps someone could relay that over at that french forum and maybe Le Corbeau will see it.
    1.19 bugs that were discovered and mentioned here on TTLG got fixed in 1.20/1.21, so the general assumption is that the Raven is watching.

I sent a PM to Briareos H about it anyway, since I saw him posting in that thread and I think of everyone in that thread he's maybe the most active over here too, and is around...

Edit: And now a post is up at Ariane4ever. Thanks Briareos H.
    Edit: And according to Stefan Key in that thread, Le Corbeau has been directly emailed about it now too.
    Last edited by demagogue; 29th Jun 2013 at 13:43.

I'm happy to report that Tos fixed the server browser.

Quick question : Does anyone still play the original release or have all moved on to 1.21 ? I'd like to try the Multiplayer sometime this summer.

I've actually been in beta testing with a friend of mine for a multiplayer-centric FM. We've also been playing an FM in multiplayer. He's not from the forums though. If you want to try to get in on it, add me on steam. (Assuming you have steam, if you don't, you could reach me on AIM, Skype, Raptr, or Xfire. Take your pick.)

I imagine there's a few folks that still play this. What I did was I created two installs of thief so I could benefit from both versions.

Multiplayer beta file Mirrors

Sorry for double post but felt it was necessary. I've just discovered today that the original links (and his website) are broken, so I've mirrored the latest patch on my dropbox account:

Version 218 - T2 MP Mirror

Here's some older versions should you want to try an older version of the MP patch:

Build 215
    Build 210
    Build 205

Anyone else that wants to mirror them please do so. Can't ever hurt to have more than one mirror, especially if my links ever become broken.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 27th Jul 2013 at 18:07.

DromEd Archmage
    I have a question: How do you proceed to organize a multiplayer game? Is there a day where everybody is connected?

Because I have just installed it and saw that I was alone...

Another question too: May we set our router to launch a game? I know that I some other games you must set in into DMZ mode.
    Is it necessary with Thief?

And a last one:

Is it normal that each time I launch it, the connexion board and the game are launched at the same time forcing me to reduce it?
    (I'm with Win7, with DDFIX etc, it was hard, although, I could play a mission alone with no crashes and all the features contained in that patch).

Thank you!

Clearinghouse

Hi Firemage, also thank you clearing.

I'll try my best to answer your questions, Firemage.

You can take a look in the multiplayer player contact list thread to try and contact some folks to organize a game. As for your second question, I think it's really not standardized when someone is online, seeing as how there are folks who are in other timezones/countries and will have varying times on when they are online.

That said, just recently I was testing with a friend and noticed some servers were up on the browser, so you may just be able to catch a game. If the game is closed or has ??? then it's not join-able as far as I know.

As for your question about router... It may be that you'll need to allow thief 2 through your firewall/router firewall for it to work, I don't really know for sure though. Each person has varying firewall software or routers, so your case may be different than mine. What I would suggest is testing the game with a friend without messing with router or firewall and see if he can join. If not, then there's your answer.

As for your last question, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking but it sounds like you mean the multiplayer window that pops up along with thief 2 when you launch it. Yes, this is normal and you will have to alt+tab out of thief in order to access the multplayer menu every time you want to play. Tos never implemented multiplayer directly into the thief menus like System Shock 2 has, so you just have to work with having to alt tab out of thief. I hope that helps!

DromEd Archmage
    Thank you sNeaksieGarrett! ^^
    Yes, these hints has unlighted me very well!

Ok, so, I must test to know if the router can hold it.

Alt+Tab? I'll write down this in my brain!
    And let see this contact list...

Thanks again!

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    With Firemage I'm trying to play properly in multiplayer, but I have a major problem, as a client I can't frob anything. objects, items to pick up, nothing works. There's basically no point in playing as I just follow the host around. It seems it's a known problem but I can't find a solution, is there any ?

DromEd Archmage
    We got a problem too. Rope arrowas became untakable.
    Frobbing it just remove the rope but don't return the rope arrow.

You should read the documentation about known bugs for this multiplayer patch.

Having said that, I'm almost certain that what you're telling me is due to an incompatible FM with multiplayer. If the mission relies heavily on custom scripts it will not work properly in multiplayer for the client. The first time I discovered this was probably in the FM A Thief's Holiday 2004. The client was really only able to sweep the floor and use keys from what I recall. The host had to do everything else.

I had to actually postpone my multiplayer FM for a while until I could figure out a respawning solution that didn't involve using custom scripts (like NVScript.)

FireMage, yes, this is normal in multiplayer. You cannot retrieve rope arrows as far as I know. This means you must be more careful when using them.

Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 271217222728293031323334353637 ... LastLast