TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3813182328293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 Multiplayer Beta Released

DromEd Archmage
    There is a weird thing. Yesterday, I played with Phantasmagore the same mission that DrK and I have tried, and we could do it perfectly.
    She was just unable to unlock the doors and all that she found appeared in my inventory. But It was good!
    The host do more thing, but the client can explore a part of the mission while the other explore an other part.

For the rope, this is really embarrassing... I hope that a new version will fix that

Unfortunately, I don't see a new version appearing any time soon (if ever.) Tos has moved on from Thief development and I'm not sure he's interested in working further on the patch. Who knows, he may surprise us one of these days.

As for the mission, I'm not clear what mission you tried but that's weird that it worked better this time around. I have no explanation for that. Really all I know is that "your mileage may vary" with fan missions. FMs were never officially tested with the patch, so some may be quite broken (I know of one personally; Hammerite Deathmatch) or partially broken (such as A Thief's Holiday 2004.)

DromEd Archmage
    The latest version's source code is always available right?
    If our fellow do nothing, surely somebody else will replace him!
    The NewDark team could develop it, who knows?

We tried a Cosas Mission Gathering in the Inn, I have just added a second starting point in the mis and send it to my parteners.
    With DrK, we tried Hammerite Deathmatch, but the teleport trap worked with one guy only. The other was stucked in the beginning room...
    I think that we need more MP maps. That should do it!

If you plan on making any yourself, please keep in mind that only gen.osm and convict.osm work officially with multiplayer. NVScript or other custom scripts don't seem to work well in multiplayer, at least for the client player.

DromEd Archmage
    Good news, I never used any custom scripts, only gen and convict ^^
    I know them too well to need something else! (...for the moment)

I'll contact you If I need testers. My first MP mission would be a mission for 5 players.

Multiplayer was intended for only four players. I'm not sure you can even have more than 4 players on a server.

DromEd Archmage
    Are you sure?
    When you host you got a list where you see that you can have at most 8 players...
    Even if we think about it, we're not numerous to play with the MP patch, so, It's not really important.
    If I do it, I'm expected to play with two or three persons...

Oh, sorry. I thought it was limited to 4.

Well, despite that, I thought Tos had said something about 4 being what multiplayer was intended for, and anything above that could be problematic. I could be wrong though, this was a while back. I'm not even saying you can't have 8 players, I'm just saying it may not work out too well.

yea , i wish to play in mulytiplayer
    if anthing is frobbable Thief become like
    Quake 1 ? have a Deathmatch! or a capture the flag...

DromEd Archmage
    Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    Oh, sorry. I thought it was limited to 4.

Well, despite that, I thought Tos had said something about 4 being what multiplayer was intended for, and anything above that could be problematic. I could be wrong though, this was a while back. I'm not even saying you can't have 8 players, I'm just saying it may not work out too well.
    I dunno, I never played a MP mission with 8 starting points and 8 players XD
    Who knows? Perhaps it's true that even if we host with 8 slots, only 4 players can join...

That ask for 8 testers and because everybody is running with newdark now, It won't be easy because they may install thief2 again and installing the necessary stuff to make it work (especially Win7 users).

Spider92: It's not Deathmatch of Flags Capture alas... It's cooperative missions only. Monster Area is the only offical MP mission.
    The other are Single Player mission where the users has created a version with two starting points instead of one...
    We need more mapper, sNeaksie and now, me, we are the only taffer mappers who think about the MP pacth...
    The other run with NewDark and don't want to find again the Old Dromed's bugs ad crashes...
    Because NewDark and the MP patch cannot get married...

Hi everyone.
    I don't know if anybody has asked this before, but here's what happens with my screen every time I try to launch the game after installation of t2mp:

Not sure if this would help, but here are the laptop characteristics:
    Acer Aspire v3-771g
    Intel Core i5-3210M CpU 2.50 GHz
    8 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
    I thought the reason for this could be that the game is using Intel integrated video processor, but NVIDIA GPU was set as default in videocard settings, compatibility mode or running game as administartor doesnt' help, and seems that there's no way to try start game in windowed mode. So I'm out of ideas.
    The game I've tried this on is from gog.com, and seems that it contains some mods already, maybe they are the reason for this.

Zombified
    what version of T2 are you running? because to run the T2 multiplayer, you have to be using T2 1.18, and that will not be very compatible with new pcs.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    what version of T2 are you running? because to run the T2 multiplayer, you have to be using T2 1.18, and that will not be very compatible with new pcs.
    GOG version of the game has 1.18 update installed already, and it works fine on win7. The strange thing is that it doesn't even crash on start, it just makes these strange lines all over the screen, but menu elements are still clickable, and it is even possible to launch the game in this acid trip mode.

Zombified
    GOG version uses NewDark (1.21), and the multiplayer mod is not compatible with NewDark (1.19/1.20/1.21). nothing you can do about it.

Interesting, I wanted to double check so I looked at the store page and you're absolutely right. What's weird is that they've marked it version 1.18 (newdark 1.21) It's either 1.21 or it's 1.18. Perhaps that should be reported to the GOG team to make it more clear.

I'm also quite surprised they'd patch the game to an unofficial patch, and that's in addition to the possible legal implications of doing so as well. Maybe a non patched version should be offered for those who are interested in the multiplayer such as F-rey.

Zombified
    it's the latest version of the game (v1.18) patched with the NewDark engine update (v1.21) so the description is pretty accurate. also, the old exe can be restored I think, it should be in the backup folder. as for the legal stuff, if I remember correctly, the NewDark docs explicitly state that anyone is free to use NewDark for any purpose, so unless someone proves that there is something illegal in the files, it should be safe to use.

Well, the Dark Engine code is evidently in NewDark, and that's illegal (as far as we know). But someone from GOG actually posted here last year trying to get contact information for the NewDark author(s). (Many of us have been calling the author(s) Le Corbeau for expediency, but in one Ariane4ever post Le Corbeau apparently said that they were "the messenger". Still, I think that the name has stuck.) I would guess that GOG has privately cleared it with Squeenix, since between 1.19 and 1.20 the NewDark legal text gained a clause licensing redistributors "such as GOG and Steam…as long as they also have been granted permission by Eidos/Square Enix to do so".

Anyway, on F-Rey's graphics problem, I don't think it's related to GOG using NewDark. All the rendering code is in the thief2.exe executable, so switching to its T2MP version should replace that entirely. The NewDark-specific rendering configuration variables are in cam_ext.cfg, which is ignored by OldDark (including T2MP). If anything, this seems like it might be a DDFix problem: either you still need to patch T2MP with DDFix, or you need to adjust something in the DDFix configuration.

Thank you guys for answering so quikly I thought I'd have to wait a couple of days or so. Guess I'll need to get myself non-gog version after all.

But what's confusing is that a friend of mine installed t2mp on the same GOG version of the game on his PC and it works just fine. I mean, we haven't tried to play the game in multiplayer yet for obvious reason, but he says that the game launches OK and he has both windows (thief2 and multiplayer) running without any issues.a
    Last edited by F-rey; 22nd Sep 2013 at 05:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    It's still the fact that T2MP was made in Microsoft C++ software, right?
    The original Dark Engine is MS C++ (with COM, no less ), so any patch or alternate version is almost certainly going to be too. (The two of us can dream of a *nix port, but I doubt anyone else would notice. )

Quote Originally Posted by F-rey View Post
    But what's confusing is that a friend of mine installed t2mp on the same GOG version of the game on his PC and it works just fine. I mean, we haven't tried to play the game in multiplayer yet for obvious reason, but he says that the game launches OK and he has both windows (thief2 and multiplayer) running without any issues.a
    In that case I'd even more strongly guess it's a DDFix issue, related to differences between your graphics cards. I recall that the UseSysMemOverlay variable often needed to be adjusted in these cases, but someone with more DDFix experience could help you better.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    it's the latest version of the game (v1.18) patched with the NewDark engine update (v1.21) so the description is pretty accurate.
    I still say it's going to cause confusion. F-Sey was incorrectly assuming the game was 1.18, when it's technically 1.21. You can't call something version 1.18 and 1.21 at the same time, that was my point. Needs to be more specific such that making the distinction is more clear. For example, the page could say "Official Patch version 1.18 (Updated to unofficial NewDark 1.21 Patch.)" Otherwise, it might as well just say NewDark 1.21 without even mentioning 1.18.

Yeah I'm being picky, but I think it should be absolutely clear. The mentioning of the version should also be when you go to download the game. I'm curious what GOG shows what version it is there since I don't have a GOG copy of Thief 2. F-Sey, does it just say version 1.18 when you go to download the setup file for Thief 2 on your GOG shelf? I'm just curious what made you think you had 1.18 when you actually have Thief 2 patched with NewDark 1.21.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 22nd Sep 2013 at 11:58.

Seems that I've missed something, cause on Gog.com it says "version 1.18 (NewDark 1.21)", but as was mentioned, installation of t2mp should override NewDark completely, as it seemingly does on my friend's machine. I've tried to change the value of UseSysMemOverlay in ddfix.ini according to commentaries in that file, but that was of no use.

So let me make sure I'm following you.

You've replaced your GOG thief2.exe with the one from the t2mp patch, correct? You've also said that your friend has done it and he's had no issues, right?
    So if you've done the same process as him and it's not working, then that suggests to me an incompatibility with your hardware. Unfortunately, I don't see any kind of solution. Looks like nobody else has anything to say either, or they just haven't seen your post/had time to respond.

Do you maybe have a second computer you could try installing the game to? Oh, one thing I just thought of. You may want to set compatibility modes onto your t2mp thief2.exe file. Actually, I just checked and I don't have that set on mine. Wouldn't hurt to try this though. I did check disable display scaling on high dpi settings on mine.

We decided to have some holiday fun with my brother and play Thief II in LAN. I installed Thief II using Tafferpatcher 103 beta (the latest pre-1.19 beta with DDfix), configured bloom, and installed Darkloader 4.3.1 and all user made scripts. So far everything works great (original and FM), but I just want to be sure: did I do something wrong? And now for the multiplayer mod... And obviously, since MP mod doesn't support NewDark, we can't use EP2, but are there any other graphics mods for old Dark than the ones already in Tafferpatcher?

And is there any list for all/some FMs that are reported to work (near) perfectly with MP?

As far as I know, no, there is not any list with compatible FMs. This would have to be done by forum-goers, as Tos only ever tested and made sure that the OMs worked for T2MP.

Regarding multiplayer, I'm not sure what you mean by "did I do something wrong?" As for mods, I've used EP with my version of Thief 2. I haven't tried EP2, but that one requires NewDark right? Graphics mods? All of them are already in tafferpatcher I think, except for NTEX. Well, there's also Necrobob's texture pack as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kdau View Post
    either you still need to patch T2MP with DDFix, or you need to adjust something in the DDFix configuration.
    A couple of months late, I know, but this caught my eye. It's both. The exe that comes with T2MP needs to be ddfix patched, and these need to be set in ddfix.ini:

Code:
    [MemAddr]
    FovModification=0
    AspectCorrection=0
    I don't know what F-rey's problem is/was exactly, but all I did was to take a working T2+ddfix installation, install T2MP on it, patch the exe and add the settings in ddfix.ini, and it appears to work.

Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3813182328293031323334353637 ... LastLast