TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: TAC Affairs of Wizards Nov.30/08

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_in_the_shell View Post
    EDIT: Never mind, I found second clue with alternative solution how to get the key. But shouldn't ruby work too?
    It does! But only after the other way. It saves you having to take the fire key by force.

Aaah, thanks Yandros, I must try it next time. Probably I didn't understand the clue well enough. Or maybe the elemental is saying something about giving it to him? I must admitt that I didn't understand all his words, my English skill is better when I read than when listen.

Anyway I'm affraid I stuck again. Got 3 keys and went back to the mage - nothing happened. I tried with placing them in the coffin's locks but after that still mage doesn't respond I tried reload previous save but this time an invisible object blocked my way to mage's room. So nothing again. I play on Expert. Probably something went wrong and I can't finish without replaying it from start?

d. 30.4.16 Always remembered
    Again, same here. I didn't understand a single word of what the lord/mage said.

I got all the keys, and the 3 objectives are checked. But nothing happens when I unlock the (coffin?). Was there another way to "bring him the keys"?
    Really a pity, this mission is so outstanding! I loved the special effects, expecially the "fire entity" or whatever it was.

Another weirdness: my blackjack has become transparent......
    Well, I will try again. BTW, I'm playing on Normal.

i'm not sure what happend right now, but after installing this mission with darkloader 4.3 my pc crashed. after a restart not only darkloader-files were damaged but also some t2 folders weren't accessible anymore. now i'm about to reinstall the whole game

replayed the mission again, got all the 3 keys, all other objects are ticked off, but velleme is still refusing to see me and the objective to bring him the 3 keys won't tick off , anyone a suggestion??

velleme mentioned he got the 4th key.. is it to be found somewhere.. I really want to know what is in the coffin

ofcourse after writing this I found the 4th key.opened the coffin/chest, went back to the mages to put the diarry on the table

but still no change on the 3 keys objective , so no way to end this mission for me
    Last edited by nightshifter; 2nd Dec 2008 at 19:38. Reason: went on a bit

okay seriously, where is the vell's key at? I can't find it anywhere

in the library

bigger spoilerthere is a frobbable book, that will open a compartment in the floor near the fireplace

O.K. I progressed in the plot: I found 4th key, but I don't think I would without a clues I've read here. There was a diary too which revealed new objectives for me, but I think there wasn't any objective earlier to look for 4th key or hidden book or anything like that, so I think it's very weak point of the objective's chain. Anyway I managed to fullfill all new objectives: looted the coffin and also I left the book in Mages area on the table. But still I can't satisfy "bring 3 keys" objective. If it's broken I will consider the mission completed

For now my impression is that it's extreme high-tech mission. I took a look at it in Dromed and what I can say is that it's totaly different way of building the mission. Which was already mentioned in this thread, but I mention that again to add that I really appreciate the effort of this mission's author. He shown great creativity and used well his mind to break the chains of the contest's space limit and he succeed. Plot is interesting too, it's just that for now some things seems to don't work well enough to let the player fully enjoy gameplay.

This one is definitelly a FM which I won't forget. I already told one of my non-dromed friends how amazing idea appeared in this FM to extend it's space still obeying contest rules. Thats very positive aspect of the contest limits - they stimulates creativity.
    Of course non-dromed friends usually just looks at me this sceptic way when I say anything about Dromeding...

Oh, so you can find the fourth they can open that containery thing?
    I'll have to replay this one after I've played the others and give that a go!

In any case, I was able to complete the mission without it? The mage guy started talking to me as soon as I came near him after getting the (three) keys. Maybe it's some kind of bug?

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    The mage guy started talking to me as soon as I came near him after getting the (three) keys.
    Lucky you. I didn't manage to talk with him after retrieving 3 or even 4 keys. I suppose there are some bugs in objective setup. I suspected that the objective with 3 keys should be cancelled when finding fourth key and a diary (new objectives appears then, quite opposite to cooperating with the employer in my opinion), but if you say that you talked to the guy and finished the mission this way then probably the things are a bit more complicated...
    "Reliance upon others is weakness for the strong, but strength for the weak. Wisdom and balance lie in knowing your own nature over time"
    The Box, WL

Of course non-dromed friends usually just looks at me this sceptic way when I say anything about Dromeding...
    yeah, I know what you are talking about.. this morning I tried to explain to my wife how amazed I was by this mission and it's techwizzardy and she just looked at me and rolled her eyes..

No way, the guy refused to talk to me, I couldn't finish the mission.
    I haven't played them all yet, but maybe this is the best if not for the bug. I am amazed!

I think to know who made this one, but maybe is too soon for the guessing thread, right?

Classical Master 2008
    For now my impression is that it's extreme high-tech mission. I took a look at it in Dromed and what I can say is that it's totaly different way of building the mission. Which was already mentioned in this thread, but I mention that again to add that I really appreciate the effort of this mission's author. He shown great creativity and used well his mind to break the chains of the contest's space limit and he succeed. Plot is interesting too, it's just that for now some things seems to don't work well enough to let the player fully enjoy gameplay.
    Oh yeah. Initially, I was thinking, "why so many receptrons? There is no reason for that!" Then I looked at it in Dromed. Wow. Socks blown right off. This is diabolically clever.

The technique may also have uses in non-contest missions, BTW, for building dynamic or semi-dynamic environments; e.g. a room that will change when you visit it at a later date, or something -- Constantine would love it! I really hope the author does a "How I did it" after the contest has concluded.

Playing on expert, I found all four keys, opened the coffin thingy, etc. I also could not attract the attention of Velleme at any stage, before or after inserting the keys.

I agree melan....I can't even wrap my mind around what I am seeing....I knew some of the walls were objects....but this is way too many...it is impossible to see in dromed with the way it handles objects....and burricks? oh dear god, some of that wierd stuff on the ship makes so much sense now....so the author basically alters a room via moving walls around....unbelievable...well unfanthamable

Quote Originally Posted by Iceblade View Post
    I agree melan....I can't even wrap my mind around what I am seeing....I knew some of the walls were objects....but this is way too many...it is impossible to see in dromed with the way it handles objects....and burricks? oh dear god, some of that wierd stuff on the ship makes so much sense now....so the author basically alters a room via moving walls around....unbelievable...well unfanthamable
    and texturetraps...

funny thing:in my first round I dropped the cheap bronze ring into the fire where the "fire-ghost" comes.. later on in the game I found it back in the library near the fireplace. .. later I realized what was going on....

Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post
    Constantine would love it!
    Constantine did it, that's my bet about who is the author
    Noone else could try something so insane in Dromed and get so FEW bugs in return

No - Velleme won't talk to me either, whether I use the 3 keys or not. And no book in the library will frob, so can't get the 4th key
    This FM has so much going for it - technical skill, graphics, gameplay & humour - but if you can't complete it, how good can it be?

EDIT: will replay this later on a lower setting & hope that works. Got most of the others to play first.
    Last edited by Sticky Fingers; 3rd Dec 2008 at 07:17.

Everyone who has objectives problems, here's a patch from the author. Extract it to your thief 2 folder and overwrite the old .gam file:

The Affairs of Wizards patch

It should fix the problems without having to restart the mission, however you will have to go back and forth to another area first for the fix to take effect.

Ok! That patch works a treat - finished without a problem (got the 4th key & all).

So that doubles my thanx to the author; with that 'bug' fixed this is a first-rate FM, contest entry or not

Damn, those mages are a bad lot!

And thanx, redface, for hosting the patch (did as you suggested & re-entered one of the portals first).

Are the download site and mirrors patched?

Probably not. I'm sure Shadak/Brethren will update the corresponding files.

I'm having the same trouble with the keys objective; haven't tried the patch, though, so that may fix it. went ahead and did everything else (including the fourth key) and finished as best I could.

I don't dromed, so I don't really know what specific technical wizardry you are all so excited about, but I thought that the use of mists for water and lava, and the fire god were all pretty impressive. very cool mission!

I think I found another bug, though: any time I try to pick up the loot by the fireplace in the library, t2 crashes to desktop

The patch worked, when I returned to the mage, he talked to me, then he tried to kill me. I run down the stairs and the mission ended in the kitchen.
    I have to admit that it was a little disappointing. The "coffin" remains locked, and there is no explanation of what happened. But maybe it's just because I didn't understand anything of the conversations.
    An outstanding, beautiful and challenging mission anyway.

lady rowena,

don't know about velleme trying to kill you. ( still have to install the patch, at work now... ) but when you got the 4th key (see post above) you can open the coffin with the 4 keys..

I read in a yandros post above that he killed velleme and than went on, when you find the 4th key and the diary you get new objectives...

so I think worth to give it another try

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast