TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: TAC Affairs of Wizards Nov.30/08

Lady Rowena: the voice acting was a bit... muffled in places. I had to reload and listen to some of the lines a few times before I understood them, even with English being my native language. But basically, he said something along the lines of "The only thing left to be done is to kill the only person who knows I was behind this whole thing."

Quote Originally Posted by MrMunkeepants View Post
    I think I found another bug, though: any time I try to pick up the loot by the fireplace in the library, t2 crashes to desktop
    That happened to me, too, but when I reloaded after the crash, it didn't happen the second time.

I tried to open this mission in DromEd, but it's just... confusing, to say the least. It's very impressive, with receptrons everywhere, but sweet Builder... I guess the author has never heard of custom scripts...
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 3rd Dec 2008 at 17:54.

d. 30.4.16 Always remembered
    @nightshifter
    First of all, I haven't found the 4th key. I searched for it while the lord/mage was still....inactive, no luck.
    Now that he has some reactions, how can I search for the key without being killed?
    How come that Yandros killed the taffer if you are not allowed to kill anyone? I didn't even try.....

well, I'll try again once I will have finished the one I'm playing.

@NV- Thanks for the explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    I tried to open this mission in DromEd, but it's just... confusing, to say the least. It's very impressive, with receptrons everywhere, but sweet Builder... I guess the author has never heard of custom scripts...
    Most entertaining part in my opinion is to enter info_window command. Brushes to objects ratio is even more impressive when stated in numbers, than if you just see all that stuff displayed as wireframes

Yeah, that's crazy. 69 to 1376.

... We've just thoroughly confused all the non-DromEdders, haven't we?

Lady Rowena - if you want to get the 4th key, you pretty much have to kill the mage; it doesn't effect the no-kill objective. After that, you have to get to the library, past those 2 guards (recommend saving a flashbomb for this).

In the Library - (spoiler) look around the fireplace, then check the nearest shelves for a frobbable book.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
    you have to get to the library, past those 2 guards (recommend saving a flashbomb for this).
    flashbomb???, my blackjack did the job there

the most interesting thing for me was, that you can actually choose either to run off or challenge this mage bugger and then look for the missing key without beeing notified in the obejctives menu.
    very well done.

Ok, I have killed the mage, (it wasn't even difficult) I had blackjaked the two guards before and searched the place after reading the posts in the forum. I found nothing.
    Now that I've killed the guy nothing has changed. No frobbing book, nothing in the fireplace, I can't find anything.
    Any help please?

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Lady R, the book to frob is to the left of the fireplace in the mess hall. Next to the statue which has scratch marks on the floor by it (I loved that touch!)

I'm stuck and this is my situation:

I have all 4 elemental keys, I have the strange object what was inside the sarcophagus but the objective with bringing the keys to him doesn't tick off.

After getting the 3 keys from the portals, I went directly to him but nothing happened, then I found the key in the library and went to him again. Nothing. I used all keys on the sarcophagus but still nothing happened.

Any clues?

I encountered some other minor things as well:
    I've seen guards walking throughs walls on the ship but this seems to be a common problem in this FM. Garrett also slides down the stairs when he isn't moving and walking on the stairs doesn't make sounds. The physical dimmensions of some objects didn't fit: the gambling table in the guards room (I bumped into air) or the table in the chamber with the 3 magicians (they walked on the table and fall "into" it).

But the architecture is very nice

on page 3 in this thread there is a patch mentioned for your problem

Thank Yandros, I've got everything now. BUT....hear hear, I reloaded a previous save, I went and take that hidden stuff BEFORE killing the lord and meeting the mages a new objective popped up!
    Then the final changed....!

@intruder, you have to install the patch.
    Last edited by Lady Rowena; 3rd Dec 2008 at 21:53.

Yep, the patch does the trick, even in a virtually complete savegame.

Hints about the 4th key needs to be tucked away somewhere; combing over the map without clues is not fun. The annoyed torch-relighting fire mage got a genuine chuckle out of me. Fortunately, gassing the earth mage solved my dilemma in that situation.

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by redface View Post
    Everyone who has objectives problems, here's a patch from the author. Extract it to your thief 2 folder and overwrite the old .gam file:

The Affairs of Wizards patch

It should fix the problems without having to restart the mission, however you will have to go back and forth to another area first for the fix to take effect.
    Great Thanks for the patch!

I placed the patched gam file in my Thief2 folder, and after some trial and error I finally got the guy to talk to me. It was a little flaky, though. I went to him with three keys not placed in locks - nothing. I went all around, BJ'ed all the guards, placed three keys in locks - nothing. I got the 4th key and diary - nothing. Finally I placed the diary as instructed and then, and only then, did the script come alive. After a speech, all 4 mages showed up, including 2 I had BJ'ed and tried to fire-ball me. Was there another more benign script that should have occurred earlier?

All that notwithstanding, I enjoyed playing the mission. Thanks to the author.

I didnt have to kill him to get the 4'th and finish but it was hairy to say the least. I think this one is gonna be the winner unless there is another masterpiece tucked away somewhere I have not gotten to yet.

This FM has high quality architecture and nice textures but for some reason it was pain to play for me. First, that bug with bringing keys to wizard objectives didn't work me - but thanks it was fixed by patch posted here. Second, movement in some places - for Garrett and for other AIs - was far from perfectness, Garrett was enable to stay on stairs, slowly falls down, guards stuck in different objects, it was very hard to return to the portal in fire "realm". Third, framerate was not nice in some places. I think all these issues were result of author hurry related to contest deadline. Otherwise it would be definitely nice art and it is sad that it isn't because of technical problems

I noticed one wall in fire "realm" looks as secret I'm unable to open, it is near 2 chests on stone shelves - one with loot, another was unfrobable. Is it secret? On finish statistics shown me 1 secrets from 0

Most of the technical problems you mentioned, aside from the bug fixed by the patch, are a result of how the FM was made and not any hurry on the part of the author. The construction of this FM is revolutionary, but that's of course only interesting to Dromeders.

I'd say this one wins the technical award....we need to have categories for voting like in previous KOMAG contests...I cannot just not vote at all for several of these they are so good.

just got around to this and its gorgeous! loved the portals and the storyline was quite gripping. i did have a few minor frame rate issues but aside from that, good work author!

Before I even started the mission I was about 99% sure the author was Nameless Voice.

Not because of the fact that it caused Thief to crash but something else VERY familiar.

But now the mission is started I'm gonna see if I can back up that theory.

I thought of that in first instance...such techstuff there..
    and I suspected NV to fool us with his comments
    but I really can't imagine him not using a single custom script....

must be someone who dislikes custom scripts to pull off such circus without any... ( makes me think off vlad midnight allthough I haven't seen him around lately)

Don't forget Komag's contest mission Mind Master which had thousands of links. Although in his defense, there were no custom scripts back then (or else only VK's). Maybe the host submitted an entry?

The tech here suggests Otto but the look does not.

Next guess would be R Soul but again the look is not consistent.

NV is my best guess but again something seems out of sorts.

In short....I dunno.

It could be a NV's challenge against himself to prove his wizardry even without using his own scripts.....

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast