TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: TAC The Tower November 30, 2008

Thanks, Snork and Sticky Fingers. Snork, that DID make sense and I'm having better luck with the place you described. Sort of. Still can't seem to make the jump, but I'm working on it. lol Tried for nearly half an hour last night before I gave up in frustration. Of course that stupid woman wandering around crying for help every time she spotted me didn't help. I finally ended up knocking her head in for her and dumping her in a corner out of my way. (I usually leave servants and civilians that are harmless, but sheesh was she annoying. lol)

I'll get in tonight and see if I can actually make the jump tonight.

I might suggest to the author, that perhaps a little tweak to make this part not *quite* such a challenge might be in order? It is a little on the frustrating side.

I found it frustrating too until I managed that bit. I'd tried the other beams opposite the balcony but that far one was the only one I could do the jump from as long as I got the rope arrow in the top left bit of the beam, as high up as possible, jump and mantle. If you're really stuck I have a save game just after the jump.
    Last edited by Snork; 17th Dec 2008 at 04:26.

Yeah, thats the only part I had any real trouble with. But. . .Finally made it. Woo hoo!! Thanks for the help. Finally had to use the next beam over, then aim for the corner of the balcony and I got up and in. Phew!
    But yeah, once I was up there, the rest went great!

Very enjoyable mission for one so tiny. Lots of story packed in, loved the bonus objective (wasn't very hard figure out too, happily), found one of the secrets, which leaves room for replayability trying to find the rest. lol

Apart from that one issue getting rolling in the first place it was a lot of fun!

The only other place I had any trouble was at the top of the tower. Tried five or six times to deal with that ghost before finally just ghosting it myself. He seems to be invincible, even when sneaking up on him and backstabbing. *sniffs* But I suppose we left it for the living lord to deal with. Serves him right for being such a twit. I should have dragged the notary guy up there and left him to wake up to a nasty surprise.

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Elentari View Post
    I should have dragged the notary guy up there and left him to wake up to a nasty surprise.
    I dumped him the cell with the 2 corpses.....

Did ANYONE else get the bonus objective? No one mentions it.

If you mean the one about the pregnant woman, yes. Probably quite a few did (Tannar explained how to get there in this post, back on p2).

Or is there another one?

Yes, the pregnant woman, and the notary.No one had mentioned it, so I thought I would.
    I had no problem finding my way into her place. One of the things I love about Thief, the exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenArts View Post
    Did ANYONE else get the bonus objective? No one mentions it.
    I did it too and mentioned it (in spoiler tags)
    A propos, are there some other bonus objectives maybe?

Not in this one.

Master Builder 2018
    BA - yes, I got the bonus objective also. I've always liked missions with these little side quests. Makes for a much more engaging story.

I sometimes like that it shows Garrett with a heart. Makes for a nice story line imo. The human side of Garrett. Beneath that tough exterior of his, there does lie a heart of gold.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenArts View Post
    I sometimes like that it shows Garrett with a heart. Makes for a nice story line imo. The human side of Garrett. Beneath that tough exterior of his, there does lie a heart of gold.
    Yeah, I like to think his 'tough' exterior is mostly for show. Or maybe for survival, as its sort of a tough world he lives in, and being a thief. . .well yeah, he's sort of fallen off the social class ladder and even his associates would probably stab him in the back if he gave them a chance, so showing anything that can be interpreted as weakness isn't a great idea. . .but all in all, I don't see him as a bad guy. I like missions where we can do stuff like this and show him as a bit more human with multiple 'sides' to him.

Yeah, thats the only part I had any real trouble with. But. . .Finally made it. Woo hoo!! Thanks for the help. Finally had to use the next beam over, then aim for the corner of the balcony and I got up and in. Phew!
    But yeah, once I was up there, the rest went great!

Very enjoyable mission for one so tiny. Lots of story packed in, loved the bonus objective (wasn't very hard figure out too, happily), found one of the secrets, which leaves room for replayability trying to find the rest. lol

Apart from that one issue getting rolling in the first place it was a lot of fun!

The only other place I had any trouble was at the top of the tower. Tried five or six times to deal with that ghost before finally just ghosting it myself. He seems to be invincible, even when sneaking up on him and backstabbing. *sniffs* But I suppose we left it for the living lord to deal with. Serves him right for being such a twit. I should have dragged the notary guy up there and left him to wake up to a nasty surprise.
    I was able to kill the ghost in all three difficulty levels. On normal, a couple of flashbombs and frontal sword attack did it relatively easily. It took more effort on higher levels, and on expert he did a number on me - I lost about 70% of my shields

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewPhD View Post
    I was able to kill the ghost in all three difficulty levels. On normal, a couple of flashbombs and frontal sword attack did it relatively easily. It took more effort on higher levels, and on expert he did a number on me - I lost about 70% of my shields
    That could be why. I was playing on expert. Didn't use any flashbombs, though. Just sneaked up on him, backstabbed, then kept whacking him so that (ideally) he didn't have a chance to hit me back. But he still managed to slaughter me every time. Heh I figured it would give the owner of the tower something to think about thought. Maybe he wouldn't be so mean to people. lol

That could be why. I was playing on expert. Didn't use any flashbombs, though. Just sneaked up on him, backstabbed, then kept whacking him so that (ideally) he didn't have a chance to hit me back. But he still managed to slaughter me every time. Heh I figured it would give the owner of the tower something to think about thought. Maybe he wouldn't be so mean to people. lol
    I was not expecting to be able to finish on expert, given the difficulty I had with him on hard. So imagine how happy I was on expert when I kept slashing and suddenly saw him go "pfffff"

He looked very funereal too
    Last edited by AndrewPhD; 21st Dec 2008 at 01:50.

Could be a deathstage 12 bug? I had no trouble killing him in straight mle combat.

Wonder if someone can help me out here.

I just left the mechanics hideout. Once you leave you can mantle up onto a ledge with a fairly narrow window showing an area I've yet to explore. I've tried a rope arrow there but can't seem to get in. Is it possible?

You cannot go through those small windows there, but there is another way.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelg View Post
    Wonder if someone can help me out here.

I just left the mechanics hideout. Once you leave you can mantle up onto a ledge with a fairly narrow window showing an area I've yet to explore. I've tried a rope arrow there but can't seem to get in. Is it possible?
    Hi Michaelg,

The narrow windows show a roof and a goblet is visible. You cannot get there through any of these windows. Go to the notary's building. When you are in the notary's building, go to one of the windows on the top floor (if I remember correctly, it is the window next to his bed). Open it, and across you will see a ledge that is higher than your eye level. Quick save before you jump, although it is a very easy jump. You will mantle up to a long, rather broad ledge and at its end you will find the area you were looking at through the narrow windows outside the mech hideout. Aside from the goblet, there are some coins on the floor too.

Hope this helps

AndrewPhD.

Thx for the tips.

Didn't use spoiler just yet, although I may need it later. Good to know I can't get through those small windows. I must have tried for 1/2 an hr to no avail.

BTW; Fantastic mission. I very rarely get scared in any game, however when I got to the top of the tower, I was genuinely spooked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Could be a deathstage 12 bug? I had no trouble killing him in straight mle combat.
    It may also be that sometimes I am not that good at swordfighting spectral meanies on expert

Best,
    AndrewPhD

You don't even have to kill him. Just stick to the walls, don't make a sound and this way you can easily crouch behind his back and take anything you want without him noticing you. Do the way back in the same manner.

cannot find key to locked door where Leanora is

I got Leanora, but there is a door outside her cell locked, cannot find a key to it. Searched the posts and did not see anything unless if overlooked it.

any hints appreciated.
    "To live in the light is to see everything, to live in the dark is to see everthing you missed in the light."

safriend - if you mean the metal door to the left of Leanora's cell, you open that with the same key that opened her cell.

Fantastic mission. It is amazing how much gameplay the author managed to fit in such a small space!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast