TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

is Best Pony
    Get someone to buy it in another region and gift it to you? Can that be done, perhaps?

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Get someone to buy it in another region and gift it to you? Can that be done, perhaps?
    It certainly can be done. I've done so in the past to get a couple titles that were unavailable in my region (Max Payne 1 & 2).

The game highly likely uses Steamworks DRM on every copy, so Steam activation would be required regardless. A year from now I might buy a dirt cheap CD key off one of those e-tailers that deals in them. As a multiplayer title, it's a lost cause but the SP will probably pretty good.

is Best Pony
    True!

I'd just like to put it out there that if anyone from a different region would like to try that, I'd be up for helping them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    True!

I'd just like to put it out there that if anyone from a different region would like to try that, I'd be up for helping them out.
    Same here. I'll put my hat in the ring and say that if I can help in any way save you guys the bullshit extra costs Steam imposes upon you, I will do what I can via gifting and/or whatever else needs to be done.

Nobody's playing it? But it sold five million copies in a day.

For my part, I'm loving it. But then again, I'm a COD whore. No one does frenetic action like COD.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by poroshin View Post
    Nobody's playing it? But it sold five million copies in a day.
    Everyone already finished it :hurrdurr:

It wants to be generation kill. It's not. It's pretty good though, although as always I'm halfway through and have yet to have ANY idea what's going on (except 'russians' or something) because all of the exposition is done via 'pithy' cut-scene/CSI bullshit-o-vision one-liners that sound like the baldwin in Pearl Harbour and people trying to be heard over the noise of a helicopter. Shooty bang is a particularly fine example of such, however.

Didn't buy it, never intended to (even without all the console port crap), and never will. I just don't enjoy linear shooters as much as I used to. I tried to replay COD 2 recently. Boring as fuck. Same with the World at War demo. Maybe it's the WW2 setting that's getting old, because I did enjoy the COD4 demo a little bit more. But the gameplay still boils down to the same thing, shoot, reload, shoot, reload, and shoot some more. I swear you can finish those games with your brain turned off (possibly even with your eyes closed), you don't even have to aim or anything, most enemies go down automatically, you just have to shoot randomly and keep advancing. The game basically plays itself most of the time.

I mean they're still somewhat fun because of all the nice scripted sequences but it really only works the first time around and considering these games are usually barely 5 hours long, they're really not worth more than 10 euros for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    Everyone already finished it :hurrdurr:
    A million copies sold for every hour of gameplay. Wonderful!

What of the controversial airport terrorist attack mission?

It's uh... well, it's not that big a deal, actually. You walk around slowly and people shoot other people, it has that same lack of death impact the whole game suffers from - cursors move and people fall over, you never really get the feeling lives are ending. It was a good idea, but the whole 'killing is bad' message necessary to give it suitable gravitas is totally missing from the rest of the game, which is very much on the side of 'killing is awesome'. Plus, they're russians. The intro told you that all russians hate you, so screw them.

Also it comes directly after a mission in which you wander around with some clancyesque 'heartbeat detector'. This is a motion tracker. Given the whole semi-realism schtick the series seems to go for, giving you a sci-fi motion tracker jars a little. And then you drive a snowmobile one-handedly over 100 foot jumps while headshotting russians (i think?) with the other hand while going a billion miles an hour. This frivolity makes it seem more like a NOLF game, which is no bad thing, but you can't go from that to 'serious face' with only one of those shitty spinning logo cutscenes by way of a segue.
    Last edited by Vivian; 12th Nov 2009 at 19:52.

fucking russian cursors

Mister Science
    Modern Warfare 2 can't make a choice between war is horrible and war is fun it seems. I like World at War better it's edgier, airport scene is cool but feels out of place. Multiplayer is good, no surprise. Worth a buy if you never played a Call of Duty game, if you have you know what to expect

I played the Modern Warfare 1 after reading some of the glorifying reviews and honestly just didn't understand what was so fun or special about it. Just another totally linear shooter. Had much more fun with Black for PS2 after it, at least the latter was challenging enough for my taste.

Mister Science
    It are quality games with great production value, but great production-value can't always mask that the gameplay is kinda straightforward. I get every one though, I apreciate the care that was put into it to make it cinematic.

OK finished. The logic behind the main twist in the story totally escapes me. Sp Shepherd kills you as revenge for the nuking in MW1? Or he kills you to make sure people join the army? Or he hired Makarovokovnivich or whatever to start a war with russia, fuck up the US mainland, and then killed you to stop everyone finding out (which was silly because you had no idea till he shot one of you), and all to boost recruitment numbers? Thats retarded. The ending sequence is actually pretty cool in an arnie sort of way, however. I give it three and a half stars, but haven't tried the multi yet.

Epilogue: multis ok shooty blah blah, the lack of servers means you dont really know where to go for a decent game and the customisation is far from clear. All in all, I wouldn't bother buying this, it reeks of mediocre idiotness. And because it's now permanently welded to my steam account, Im forced to throw it in the bin rather than sell it. Fuck you, activision.
    Last edited by Vivian; 14th Nov 2009 at 20:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
    OK finished. The logic behind the main twist in the story totally escapes me. Sp Shepherd kills you as revenge for the nuking in MW1?
    Correct. He's pissed because he believes that nobody helped when the nuke went off, so he's all FUCK YOU DIE DIE RAAARGH. At least that's how I saw it

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Super optimised for PC, eh?

Well, that's embarrassing.

El Shagmeister

Enjoying it like crack-covered cookies

Also, Ghost's skull face warmer (the right name for it eludes me, alas...) = WIN!

actually, i think this is the gaming equivalent of Harry Potter

[most of this post is made from my reply in the Eurogamer review comments section]

Damn, every media is furiously jacking off over the airport scene in a way or the other and it's rather unnerving.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurogamer
    what will shortly become the most notorious scene in gaming
    To which I replied:
    Naively superlative.
    No, "No russian" will not become the most notorious scene in gaming, though many journos will use it as a reference and generate facepalms in their readers for the years to come. Yes, it was interesting to see such a narrative choice coming from the biggest gaming blockbuster of the year, but it will have little impact on the maturation of games as art / narrative media.

Incidentally, they gave the game a 9 and though CoD6 is often enjoyable, I expected better of both the "game" and Eurogamer. I play games mostly for their solo part, as social experience is not what I seek in escapism, so I can understand a few additional points for the -apparently good- multiplayer counterpart. The SP, however, is extremely average, borderline annoying and too short : the loose presentation of the story didn't bother me and rather made quite some sense... until it all finished so fast that it didn't have a sense of general closure. I also didn't manage build quite the same affection for the characters in all the frenzy, though I was delighted to play MacTavish again.

Thinking about it now, I find it incredible how the design assets are used and thrown away in the same minute while so much could be done with them. Think about any flawed infiltration military game of our PC past, take for example Project I.G.I or Delta Force. Now think about the time you would have spent infiltrating and carrying out various objectives in the same snow base assets as the second "real" level of the game and compare it to the 15-20 minutes it took you to finish "Cliffhanger".
    I have enjoyed those minutes but in the end they left me nothing, while a successful infiltration in those other games left me with a feeling of accomplishment and a real respect for the game.

In that sense, Modern Warfare 2 is frankly disappointing as a game. An interactive first person movie with finely tailored sets yeah, but nothing as satisfying as what I'm accustomed to in gaming.

Infinity Ward is clearly made of many people who put all their heart in their project, but in the race to please Activision and create a blockbuster, they managed to build something that felt less of a game than their previous titles...

tl;dr:
    - 7/10 if the multiplayer part is really that good
    - not giving me the most optimistic view for the future of FPSes

Are you saying it's relatively worse than Modern Warfare 1, or just no improvement?

Because even the developers never really seemed to make any promises beyond "it's prettier and more intense!" so I don't really know what you were expecting. Though I could certainly see how Eurogamer disappointed you!

Worse.
    It's not really prettier but I find the graphics nice enough. However, it's not more intense, just shorter and frenzier - at the expense of both characterization and lasting impact.

The "No Russian" level would be awesome if it worked as part of the narrative. The way it's worked into the game, it basically serves no purpose. It's like someone at the office said "hey I have a press-generating idea, let's put in a level where you can kill civilians" and tried to shoehorn it into the plot in a really stupid way.

If I were Infinity Ward, I would have probably done the entire beginning of the game differently, starting the game from the perspective of an actual member of Makarov's group (who could have died in a scripted scene at the end of the mission), putting the airport scene as the second mission, and having the obligatory COD training mission take place in Makarov's compound or something. The whole jump from "ranger fighting (over-aggressively) in Afghanistan" to "promoted to a CIA operative infiltrating a terrorist group" in the span of 3 missions is seriously LOL worthy. They could have also used that opportunity to have your character lead a group in a separate part of the airport from Makarov, meaning you'd actually have to pull the trigger during that mission for reasons other than "FFS I'm not waiting an hour for these assholes to kill 4 cops".

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast