TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

If the speed bothered you at all, try Search and Destroy first. It's a no-respawn gamemode, so everyone is generally much more careful about their actions. On the flip side, depending on the group of players you get, you could end up in a horrible campfest with claymores galore.

Are the grenades still as big a problem as they were in the last one? I am so happy that they fixed them in singleplayer, but I would assume that people still throw them STRAIGHT UP upon spawning to get easy, unavoidable kills.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of coop as well and this new resurgence that it's getting in gaming is great. I STILL don't get why the campaign itself couldn't have easily been made two-player as well, though.

I wish I could find some other way to link to the video in this forum post, but I haven't found one. So just click on through for mucho lulz.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    I used to think the same as you and in many cases I still do. But that doesn't stop TF2 from being glorious.
    TF2 being constantly "impoved" by adding unnecessary complexity is what keeps it from being glorious. I miss the way the game played as shipped.

El Shagmeister

Quote Originally Posted by poroshin View Post
    Yeah, but I think it's just a namesake. What COD retrospective?
    Probably like Cid for the Final Fantasy series

Well, a bit about it's history, found it on GameTrailers (forget the link, though ).

C'mon, give MP a chance!

Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    I wish I could find some other way to link to the video in this forum post, but I haven't found one. So just click on through for mucho lulz.
    My god, that poor kid bought the ps3 version.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffer36 View Post
    Are the grenades still as big a problem as they were in the last one?
    Nope. So far I haven't seen a 3-frag option. The physics for the grenades have also been altered, so they're harder to throw long distance and bounce/roll more.

The biggest improvement to stop grenade spam though, is making grenades an "equipment" piece. Sure, you can carry a frag grenade. Or instead you can carry a throwing knife, blast shield, tactical insertion, Semtex, C4, claymore, etc. As such, some people don't even carry frag grenades anymore.

Add to that the fact that martyrdom is now an optional death streak (you need to die four times in a row before you can use it once) and grenade spam/random explosion death has been fixed beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDuck View Post
    Well, a bit about it's history, found it on GameTrailers (forget the link, though ).
    Found it, here's a direct link. Thanks for the heads up.

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    TF2 being constantly "impoved" by adding unnecessary complexity is what keeps it from being glorious. I miss the way the game played as shipped.
    If you're complaining about the new weapons, who gives a shit? Sure, it took Valve a couple tries but they really don't change the balance in any meaningful way.

It's not about the game balance, it's about adding an unecessary layer of complexity. TF2 out of the box was beautiful because of the utter simplicity - hell, it even says that directly in the developer commentary. I never really understood why they felt they had to more maps and rewards for grinding/cheating. Each patch they've released since the Medic update has just blurred the differences between TF2 and every other shooter to me, and made me less and less interested in the game. The simplicity as released lent itself well to a focus on team strategy and meant that you could jump into the game and not have to spend 5 hours familiarizing yourself with the classes/maps. That was TF2's strength. Now it's hard for me to justify playing it instead of BF2 or Enemy Territory or something.

Taking the Death Toll

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Yeah, TF2 sucks now because it's become inaccessible to casual players. Achievement grinders take priority over everyone, it seems.

Taking the Death Toll
    Do you guys actually play TF2 or have you abandoned it since the medic update? And it's still plenty accessible to casuals.

I've gone back to TF2 after the medic/pyro/heavy updates and didn't think they did much for the game. The heavy update wasn't bad, but giving the medic offensive ability and the pyro a ranged weapon was stupid.

What? The medic always had a syringe gun. They just changed it slightly. And the pyro's range attack is not exactly a rocket-launcher - basically, it annoys puts people (especially snipers) off. You'd be lucky to kill someone outright with it.

The whole debacle with Valve's response to the idling program turned me away from TF2.

Friends, confess, who among you killed civilians in the airport mission?

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    The whole debacle with Valve's response to the idling program turned me away from TF2.
    Cheaters deserve what they get.

Quote Originally Posted by vorob View Post
    I fired one shot that mission, from a grenade launcher, to clear the last line of cops since I had been sitting at that point for about 10 minutes and it was becoming obvious no one else was going to do it.

Cheaters deserve what they get.
    Maybe the reason for there being a debate over it in the first place was because it wasn't unequivocally cheating (not interfering with other players nor gaining an unfair advantage), nor was it condemned by Valve.

But no, punishing the cheaters wasn't enough, they had to go give every dumbfuck who never heard of the idling program or just idled in-game a halo for 'taking the moral high ground'.

The whole thing was rather immature and I really don't feel like playing a game where half the players are wearing eyesore halos over their heads.

Edit: I'd understand if Valve said that they would not tolerate idling and gave everyone a 24-hour grace period to stop, and not enacting retroactive punishment. I'd also understand if they cracked down on all idlers, not just people using the program. But as it is, Valve decided out of the blue to say that using this program is bad, and retroactively punish everyone who used it, give a childish reward to the other 98% of players, and through their actions state that idling with a program is BAD and WRONG but idling in-game is A-OK.
    Last edited by catbarf; 17th Nov 2009 at 17:17.

Taking the Death Toll
    Maybe if you didn't cheat you wouldn't have this problem.

El Shagmeister

Quote Originally Posted by vorob View Post
    Hell, I was the first one to open fire

And by God, I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDuck View Post
    Hell, I was the first one to open fire

And by God, I loved it.
    No shit. I watched it on YouTube today and I was like "MAN, I would tear that airport UP".

Ok, I finished act 2, so now I officially would not be surprised if Ghost and Gaz were supposed to be the same person. I also wouldn't be surprised if characters from the first 2 Call of Duty games showed up in wheelchairs and started barking orders, either.

Is anyone else getting shitty performance on the PC version? I've tried basically every graphic option and it still does the "fluid for 10 minutes, insane stuttering for a few minutes" thing. I installed the version of DirectX9 that comes with the game, since it's somehow a newer version than the 9/09 release on Microsoft's website. It seems weird that I can pound my monitor's refresh rate at full detail in CoD4 but in this I'm having intermittent performance issues.

Maybe if you didn't cheat you wouldn't have this problem.
    I have the halo, so the durrhurr 'you're angry becausse you cheeted lul' is bullshit. I never cheat in any game. Even if it is cheating, the punishment was applied retroactively for something that had never been condemned (unlike, you know, real cheating). And then Valve compounded the stupidity by giving the other 98% a childish, petty reward, including people who idle but do it in-game.

Read the post again. Read for comprehension. If it's too many words for you I can give you a tl;dr version.

Is anyone else getting shitty performance on the PC version? I've tried basically every graphic option and it still does the "fluid for 10 minutes, insane stuttering for a few minutes" thing. I installed the version of DirectX9 that comes with the game, since it's somehow a newer version than the 9/09 release on Microsoft's website. It seems weird that I can pound my monitor's refresh rate at full detail in CoD4 but in this I'm having intermittent performance issues.
    I got right about the same performance as CoD4. Some drops in smoke-filled areas, but fine everywhere else.

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    I have the halo, so the durrhurr 'you're angry becausse you cheeted lul' is bullshit. I never cheat in any game. Even if it is cheating, the punishment was applied retroactively for something that had never been condemned (unlike, you know, real cheating). And then Valve compounded the stupidity by giving the other 98% a childish, petty reward, including people who idle but do it in-game.

Read the post again. Read for comprehension. If it's too many words for you I can give you a tl;dr version.
    wah wah wah

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast