TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 112 of 119 FirstFirst ... 126267727782879297102107108109110111112113114115116117 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,800 of 2958

Thread: General Fan Mission Review And Discussion Megathread

Quote Originally Posted by The Mike View Post
    The Dark One, your reviews are really making me wanna catch up on The Dark Mod. At this point I'm like 5 years behind all of the releases in that community...I think it's time I used your reviews as a guide on where to start and just binged.
    I dunno if my reviews are the best. D: I'm playing in a rather odd order: single missions first, then creators who have done multiple missions. So my order is all over the place. But still, happy to help!

And I have an advantage in that regard, since I never played the original games. Though I see how it can be a little...disorienting. XD

The Outpost

I'm back.

The Outpost by angua & greebo is, if the archives on The Dark Mod aren’t lying to me, the second mission made for it. Made in about 50 hours to showcase was the mod was capable of, and it did a good job of it.

This time, Not-Garratt is aiming for a Builder outpost with a huge ingot of gold lurking within. And that’s it. That’s the whole story, and it works well.

Graphics-wise, it’s decent. The outpost is a small, green brick building, without a whole lot of graphical flair. It doesn’t really need said flair though, as it does a good job of giving the impression of a simple building, and it is a believable layout.

Difficultly-wise, it’s pretty fair. Even though Expert makes you indulge in the hated forced ghosting, it works far better than most examples. This is partially due to the small mission, and part of it is because the creators play perfectly fair with you. The guards are fairly placed, the shadows are abundant, and it all works very well. It actually might be a good mission for newbie ghosters, honestly. The loot is in plain sight, for the most part, and finding it is not difficult (even if there is at least one piece I can’t find). You have plenty of arrows to work with, even a rope arrow or two to make getting into the chapel easier.

All in all, very fun. The review is short, but this is mission is both fun and replayable. Recommended, especially for newbies or novice ghosters.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this but I didn't want to make a whole new one so,

are they any FMs that use this thing? From what I understand it's an enemy that was shown off in pre-release screenshots that didn't make it into the final game, but is actually buried in the data somewhere. I'm curious if it is actually usable and if so, if anyone made use of it.

Důttirin klśūist oft můūur mŲttli
    This is the ogre mutant. You can find it in some DEDX-based FMs like A Journey into the Underdark
    http://thiefmissions.com/m/JourneyIntoTheUnderdark

Thanks, I will check that out. I wish there was a taggable/sortable database for FMs to find stuff like that quickly, like there is for Quake maps, but that's an extraordinary thing I think--not even Doom has one as far as I'm aware.

Briarwood Cathedral

Disclaimer: This review is a lot more disjointed than I wanted it to be, the end result of writing it on and off while insanely busy. I honestly did like this mission, because, technical issues aside, it was fun. Just not sure if it comes off that way.

Briarwood Cathedral (buck28 again) is a mission I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with. Not because itís bad; itís quite good. The problem that my computer hasÖ.issues with content-heavy missions and missions with lots of things happening at once, so a few bugs kept marring my enjoyment of what is honestly a pretty good mission.

The plot is simple: Not-Garrett sets off to break into the titular cathedral, which is currently in a state of disarray due to the murder of two members, apparently making it the best time to slip in and look for loot and a treasure chest said to be beneath the cathedral. This bit doesnít seem like it meshes well, but eh, you arenít here for plot.

Graphics-wise, the mission isnít particularly beautiful, but it still meshes together well. You do feel like youíre in a cathedral, with what felt to me like a realistic and plausible layout, barring the maze like catacombs which you think someone would have cleared out years ago.

The mission does have some good atmosphere going for it, with the cloudy sky outside, and some well timed sound effects in certain places. Again, itís hard to pin down, but it honestly felt creepy, especially in the bottom parts, when you know that youíre surrounded by undead, and (in my case) have to take to creeping around with holy water arrows to take them out.

Difficulty-wise, itís harder than Lockton Manor, mainly due to the crypts. If you want to find that chest (and on Expert, you have to) you better be able to find a button shoved in a corner, or technically go the wrong way. Donít want to get into fights? Too bad! You almost have to to have a chance at figuring out whatís going on here. Donít like hunting for out-of-the-way buttons? Ha! You have to for an objective! And getting out of the dang crypts is a feat in and of itself.

And yet, I still love this mission. I donít know what primal part of my brain the creator tapped into, but I honestly loved this mission. Was it annoying in places? Yes. It could have done with less keys, for one. But, even though Iím not really getting my point across wellÖ.it was fun. Not the best, but fun. Recommended.

P.S. I like the money trap, except for the fact that it stays in the air. But I like it.

And thanks for the offer of assistance if I need it, but my house-spider has been cool lately. Our uneasy armistice continues.
    I've recently discovered that the house spiders I've been turning my nose up at are actually great for killing the spiders I really don't like. I'm much more careful with my hooverthing now.

My apologies for lack of response and updating of OP but I've been away quite a lot over the last few weeks. I will get my act together soon. In the meantime, thanks to The Dark One for keeping up with the reviews - it's very much appreciated.

Swing

Swing (by Komag) is...different. Very different from anything Iíve played in The Dark Mod.

Designed for a vertical contest challenge, Swing places you in the role of a recruit for the Kingís Navy whose initiation take is clambering all over the official Kingís Navy swing to find a replica of the kingís crown. ďSwingĒ is literal by the way. And the ship you were recruited from, Vertigo is also apt.

Like I said, this is a very different mission from normal. Thereís no stealth, the whole mission takes place in the day, and itís more or less a platformer. Yes, a platformer. Credit where credit is due however, because the mission creator took full advantage of the mantling system to make the whole thingÖ.not painless, but at least far simpler than it would have been.

Difficulty-wise, itís pretty high up, no pun intended. The path up is mostly clear, but there are plenty of difficult jumps to get there. The more sensitive falling damage doesnít help matters, though that probably was intentional. Itís mostly intuitive, except for a but near the end, when the player has to notice that distant blocks are in fact wood (though you do have a spyglass, and it may be my fault for not using it) and the actual descent. Finding all of the bottles you need can be a pain as well, especially on higher difficulties (hint: look near the machines)

I might as well do a disclaimer that I cheated to beat this. I was testing noclip for a mission I need it for, and thought, ďEh, why not?Ē But I would have beaten the mission on the next lowest difficulty so it still counts. I think.

You might have noticed that I havenít mentioned the graphics. Thatís because I want it to be a surprise. It doesnít start off too impressive, but once it gets going, it gets...very impressive. I was more or less repeating, ďOh, wow.Ē on loop the first time I played it.

Also, physics donít exist here. Just a heads up.

All in all, pretty fun. Itís short, so you should at least give it a try. Unless you have vertigo or something. Then maybe not. Recommended.

BANNED
    The Dark One, your reviews are really making me wanna catch up on The Dark Mod. At this point I'm like 5 years behind all of the releases in that community...I think it's time I used your reviews as a guide on where to start and just binged.

The one problem I have getting into Dark Mod is the thing you mention quite a bit: playing as "Not-Garrett" in "Not The City." I know they had copyright laws to tiptoe around, but it all feels like you're playing in the off-brand Sam's Club version of the Thief universe. I know it's a petty complaint, but it always takes me out of things a bit when I read something that mentions "The Builders" and have to stop for a second and go "Who? OH RIGHT, the Not-Hammers." That, and I never felt like the Doom 3 engine had the same kind of immortality the Dark engine does.

Still, they've accomplished something crazy ambitious with The Dark Mod. I need to stop being a big ol' whiner and just give it a whirl...I haven't played it since the stand alone release.

There are a little over 100 missions for TDM right now and quite a lot of them are short 20-40 minute deals, although a lot of those especially in recent years have ended up being pretty high quality. You can easily catch up or just hop in and play some of the greatest ones. Not many large campaigns or huge 4+ hour missions to be had. Even some of the greatest ones like Requiem, House of Locked Secrets, William Steele series, Penny Dreadful series, Thomas Porter, Ulysses and lots of others are 1-2 hours length max.

I say you shouldn't let the "off-branded generic" aspect of TDM bother you since a lot of Dark engine Thief missions are basically "Garrett's non-sequitur adventures" whereas these as "generic thief man or not-Garrett-with-a-name" although most of the better written ones don't play your character up as some kind of master of thievery at all. You can easily hop right in and enjoy it because it's familiar enough. There's a small learning curve of the mechanics because it actually is harder than Dark engine games unless you turn the AI difficulties down, but there's also some novel aspects like having a togglable lantern as standard equipment in most missions, limited amount of item physics manipulation, etc. You're missing out on a lot of good content.

I guess what would help a lot of people who haven't tried Dark Mod for whatever reason yet is probably a thread with recommendations of what people think are the greatest missions and/or best beginner missions. The Dark One is basically just trying a bunch of random missions out to review them, not really reviewing the best stuff but the average quality of Dark Mod missions IS better than Thief1/G/2 missions because they have a lot of community collusion to help out newer authors. Bikerdude does a lot of that kind of work it seems, with helping optimize and add detailing. There aren't very many newer (as in last few years) missions that are of low quality at all and few that you'll get completely stumped on what to do if you're paying attention, either. It's pretty nice.

BANNED
    The Sun Within and The Sun Without

This is a medium-sized mission for Thief 2, by Qolelis, from the year 2010.

Very novel setting once you figure out where the teleport near the beginning takes you. The setup to the story is you're Garrett and you're out to rob some kind of unhaunted tombs underneath a noble's home looking for two twin gems named The Sun Within and The Sun Without. The reality is that you end up getting transported to a set of two large asteroids, partially hollowed out and built upon to chase a thief that stole some of your things as soon as you entered the tombs. The title becomes more appropriate as you progress through the mission as there is a very angry sun that actually tries to kill you by shooting exploding fireballs at you when it sees you, which is also part of the overall mission story.

Some unusual game mechanic usage (tossing up crates onto ledges and roping up onto them, exploding large boulders to pass barriers as a couple examples) are utilized. The hinting wasn't as good as it could have been. The visuals are quite good for what the author was going for which is an unusual combination of mines settings, lost city style buildings and... OUTER SPACE! It took me about 2 hours to complete. Lots of save/loading will probably be needed for most due to the amount of rope arrows, deadly ledges and other death traps are about. Not many AIs except for spiders and frogbeasts to deal with, so the difficulty is almost all contained in other aspects rather than pure sneaking.

By the time you complete the mission you'll find out that the mission title has a double meaning outside of the gems. All-in-all I would say that this is a fairly good mission. The author's first (and only) mission and worked quite well for the extremely unusual setting they were going for, and as their first mission I would also say the quality as pretty high.

BANNED
    A Keeper of the Prophecies

A Keeper of the Prophecies is a campaign for Thief 2, by frobber, released in 2005.

The setting is a period of time in between Thief 1 and 2. You open by being told that your new mechanical eye is being delivered to you tonight, and shortly after the first mission starts you find a murder happened outside of Garrett's apartment of the person carrying the eye. So obviously, you have to go retrieve it and get to the bottom of this mystery!

This is a "9 mission" (although this is deceiving) campaign, with a few very large missions.

Mission 1: The Enterprise

The first small mission is basically a story intro where you see the setup of the person bringing your eye to you is murdered and you figure out where the culprit went with it. It's only a few minutes long. You also get a story bit that builds on the next mission in the sad dead homeless family and note next to them near the exit gate of this mission.

The second mission is absolutely massive. Lots of hallways, lots of floors, lots of places to explore. Many, many guards. This mission is very visually mixed. Some areas look really awful while others are fairly good. The setting is that you're on the village's local mountain where some insane industrial company called Solustice Industries that does a lot of nefarious things operates, and that you're here to reclaim your stolen mechanical eye.

You'll probably spend 2-3 hours wandering around here looking for clues to find The Master's Key so you can open up all of the locked things and eventually finish the mission. Story-wise this is all great but the big issue I had with this mission is a lot of the areas are maze-like and not very distinct. The map isn't much help. It's an absolutely huge complex of buildings with few landmarks. I spent much of my time knocking out guards and hiding the bodies just so I could run around more freely.

Mission 2: Hallucinations

Carries on from the end of mission 1. You're back in the village, but poisoned! Keepers are involved and the plot from here on is trying to find a cure for this poisoning that has occurred.

This mission is during the winter time and has a lot of slippery ice and even ice cold water that will damage you. There is a time limit, in more than one way--as you will slowly take a point of damage here or there and healing potions are limited but also because if the clock reaches a certain point (there's a clocktower in town) you will fail. You're trying to get to the Hammerite cathedral near the village as part of the objective before the time reaches 10 o'clock, but actually the difficulty is based on the difficulty level and it's 65 minutes on Expert mode, 95 on Hard, and a little over 2 hours on Normal

Again, large mission but less of a chance of getting lost in this one unlike the previous one since areas are more distinct. This wasn't hard to navigate and find the objectives in unlike the first mission, and good thing too due to the time limit.

Mission 3: The Insurrection

Takes place directly after mission 2. You're at the huge Hammerite cathedral, and the objective is to reach a precursor time-travel device before the Hammerites destroy it. You have the same time limits as the previous mission depending on difficulty and you're still poisoned and will periodically take damage. This is a HUGE cathedral but luckily there's no forced loot objective and not a lot of real things to see. The backdrop is an actual battle going between Mechanists and Hammerites. In fact it begins as soon as the mission does. You have to find the device, find a way to power it, and then use it before it gets destroyed.

The sequence at the end of the mission was pretty cool. Everything about the mission was a step-up visually from the last two missions. Much more coherent. At the end you make a mad dash for the objective and the campaign continues in #4.

Mission 4: Oracle of the Prophets

This is a very odd mission. Apparently you're in some time between time with weird monsters all over the place, on an asteroid and the objective is to find a way out. Not much to say about this other than the surreal settings and monsters were a bit unique and although it wasn't executed very well it was a bit memorable. Story segments are in notes scattered all over the mission.

You're still poisoned and take damage, but the ultimate objective is to power up a way out of here and continue on. The only time limit here really is if you die because of taking too long and running out of healing potions.

Mission 5: The Other Side of Time

You're back at the Cathedral, except on the other side of time--in the past. This is actually a very short mission with no hostile enemies other than you can't be seen by a certain someone or you fail. The objective is to overhear a conversation and then follow the special person to the gates of the village and follow them there.

A few of the sections that were accessible before aren't now, and also there's a lack of damaged parts of the building as this is obviously before the Mechanist/Hammerite battle. You can also find a small scene with Karras here. It's got someone else trying to mimic his voice and wasn't done all that well, but it's still neat. Oh, by the way, you're still poisoned.

Mission 6: Reversing the Order

Surprise, still poisoned! You're back in the village, and it's expanded. The objective is to prevent Alicia from being murdered in this new altered timeline, and to kill her killer with a non-direct form of death either by getting her to fight him and kill him or as I did, crushing him under an elevator. The village's new accessible areas suffer from the mission 1 problem of not being very distinct and easy to get lost in.

Additionally, trying to prevent the one character from dying can be difficult and frustrating. She has very high health and can easily win 2-3-on-one fights, but there are a lot of enemies that will try to kill her so the best way to do this is simply to spend the early parts of the mission running around and knocking out everything you can except for the one target the objectives say you can't. This mission was probably the worst executed of all of them. There are a lot of gas arrows, some gas mines and other things you can find to aid you in doing this.

Mission 7: Moving Day

This is a short mission, modified off of Mission 1 Part 1. The gist is that you're not poisoned anymore, Alicia is not a dead person and ghost anymore and you need to make your way to The Enterprise again. Something's different this time, though, as you find notes strewn around town about a sort of peasant revolt against them using fire weapons. You can find some extra supplies about town even though you probably won't need them.

Mission 8: The Inheritance

Again, another modified map. It's the same map as mission 1 part 2. Not many guards about, though. The objective is to get into the more important part of the mission which requires you look for traps and use the not-very-oft-used mechanic of lockpick disarming landmines so you don't get blown up by them. You CAN find about 1000 loot about this map if you'd like to really explore but this is just a different version devoid of much of the content that was in mission 1 part 2 so there's not much to see here. Unlike the first mission you don't need to find a key to get into the objective areas.

Mission 9: Under the Raven Moon

This isn't actually a mission! It's just a bunch of Camvator segments set in Mission 2/6's village. It wraps the story up, and it's the end of the campaign.

In conclusion, I can see why a lot of people weren't so hot on this campaign. It had a lot of poorly executed ideas in terms of gameplay; Very ambitious but didn't quite pan out. The story was the strong part. It's not actually as long as you'd think as some of the missions "repeat" and of course in the "repeated" versions you don't have as many constraints or things you have to do, for the most part, so they're much shorter.

I think it was an alright experience, having played it for the first time just a few days ago but I can't say it's going to top any of my lists for best missions.

Master Builder 2018
    Thanks for the reviews, GUFF and The Dark One! I haven't finished reading them all yet, but I'm enjoying reading them.

For the record, GUFF, TSWATSW isn't Qolelis' only mission. He also did Heartcliff Islands.

BANNED
    Ah, right, my bad. I was using Thiefmissions.com and clicked "show all missions by this author" and it was the only one. I forgot that the site hasn't had a mission update of uploading all of the new stuff for almost a couple years now and that the other mission was released maybe a year and a half ago.

I did play his other mission. I remember Heartcliff being a pretty good mission too, with some unique gimmicks such as that area with the floaty zombie ghost you need earplugs to survive, but highly confusing in how to proceed so it took many more hours to complete than you'd think it would.

Důttirin klśūist oft můūur mŲttli
    Quote Originally Posted by GUFF View Post
    The Sun Within and The Sun Without

This is a medium-sized mission for Thief 2, by Qolelis, from the year 2010.

A Keeper of the Prophecies

In conclusion, I can see why a lot of people weren't so hot on this campaign.
    How would you know this? You don't.

BANNED
    Ulysses: Genesis

Mission is for The Dark Mod, and was by Sotha from 2014. It introduces you with a (voiced over) intro about the not-Garrett character you play as, an amnesiac who believes he's named Ulysses and seems to be a bit deranged in that he thinks demons and the builder speak to him. The setup to the story is that he's captured in some cell and being poked with needles periodically.

You start with no gear in your jail cell as is typical with this kind of mission beginning and have to work your way out and find some new gear. This mission introduces a dark mod version of servants, except of course these are guards unlike the base T2 mechanist creations. They're completely silent aside from the steam sounds they make while moving and have a sort of steampunk Star Trek Borg aesthetic, plus also tie into the overall mission story.

All of the visuals are about as good as you can expect from The Dark Mod. The mission is set in a multi-floor, multi-basement floor manor and your job is initially just to find out what the hell is going on with your captors, plus hoard some loot to donate to a builder church. You can find most types of the standard Dark Mod weapon arsenal and will need to use some form of lethal force to meet the objectives, although you can do it without any major alert if you use the proper tools and planning.

The patrols are a strong suit as well as the fact that the AI is setup to notice certain things in many cases i.e. missing items in some cases, many of the lights especially if electric ones with on/off switches--something that made one of Sotha's previous missions, the revenant(haunt)-filled Lich Queen's Demise quite a bit tougher since they'd relight virtually anything you put out--and lots of other touches that make a mission memorable including voiced conversation segments which tend to be Dark Mod's strength since the original cast of voiceover artists for the various NPC types can and has been used to do lines for various missions.

It's a medium-sized mission with medium-level difficulty that will probably take you upwards of one and a half hours if you're trying to "ghost" it as much as possible given the objectives. I remember the uniqueness of the setting, the not-servant creatures and peculiarity of the story and main character stood out to me when I first played it. It has one sequel mission so far which while not as good as this one built on the player character a bit more who probably has a very dark past. Maybe Sotha will continue the series someday. It's certainly good so far with two medium-sized missions where the objectives and story tend to be a bit different from the standard fare.

Quote Originally Posted by Unna Oertdottir View Post
    How would you know this? You don't.
    From comments in the threads. It wasn't that well liked in terms of how it was executed, it seems. It also did suffer from the problem that a lot of huge maps (the "Five Tigers" missions have this issue too) in that there's a lot of running around in virtually empty space with not a lot of interactivity. Which is why huge areas aren't always a plus and don't always make a mission longer or better, with for example the cubed contest mission Zealot's Hollow as an extreme example of space usage since you could play it for hours trying to find everything in that relatively small space.

Thank you very much for these reviews. I'm, hopefully, now up-to-date in adding them to the OP.

Deceptive Shadows

There are a little over 100 missions for TDM right now and quite a lot of them are short 20-40 minute deals, although a lot of those especially in recent years have ended up being pretty high quality. You can easily catch up or just hop in and play some of the greatest ones. Not many large campaigns or huge 4+ hour missions to be had. Even some of the greatest ones like Requiem, House of Locked Secrets, William Steele series, Penny Dreadful series, Thomas Porter, Ulysses and lots of others are 1-2 hours length max.

I say you shouldn't let the "off-branded generic" aspect of TDM bother you since a lot of Dark engine Thief missions are basically "Garrett's non-sequitur adventures" whereas these as "generic thief man or not-Garrett-with-a-name" although most of the better written ones don't play your character up as some kind of master of thievery at all. You can easily hop right in and enjoy it because it's familiar enough. There's a small learning curve of the mechanics because it actually is harder than Dark engine games unless you turn the AI difficulties down, but there's also some novel aspects like having a togglable lantern as standard equipment in most missions, limited amount of item physics manipulation, etc. You're missing out on a lot of good content.

I guess what would help a lot of people who haven't tried Dark Mod for whatever reason yet is probably a thread with recommendations of what people think are the greatest missions and/or best beginner missions. The Dark One is basically just trying a bunch of random missions out to review them, not really reviewing the best stuff but the average quality of Dark Mod missions IS better than Thief1/G/2 missions because they have a lot of community collusion to help out newer authors. Bikerdude does a lot of that kind of work it seems, with helping optimize and add detailing. There aren't very many newer (as in last few years) missions that are of low quality at all and few that you'll get completely stumped on what to do if you're paying attention, either. It's pretty nice.
    There are a couple of rec threads, actually: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/1...ons-out-there/

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/1...-tdm-missions/

And I do have some idea of playing order. :P I'm deliberately playing the not-as-well-known-and-esteemed-ones because I want to save the best for last.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    Thank you very much for these reviews. I'm, hopefully, now up-to-date in adding them to the OP.
    No worries!

Anyway.

I think that Deceptive Shadows (by Shadowhide) is the first Dark Mission Iíve played that I didnít like on itís own merits.

Iíve had issues with other missions, such as Briarwood Cathedral and The King of Diamonds, but those were technical issues that didnít really hurt the missionís quality. This was the first where I just didnít like the thing.

The plot is slightly more involved than normal. Not-Garrett takes aim at a Builderís purse and bungles the job, getting knocked out for his troubles. After coming too in a cell and escaping (and pain in and of itself), he finds out that the entire building is under Pagan siege and is on magic lockdown, making escape a tad bit more involved.

On the bright side, the focus on the Pagans is slightly refreshing, as most Dark Mod missions go for either the Builders or the City Watch, and seeing the more mystical elements in a mission is good. It also allows for some good visuals when you reach the overtaken basement, with plants and fog obscuring things. There are a few good bits, such as a jumping across a void, and the finale, while flawed, is definitely thrilling.

The problem is that itís so dang tedious. Someone in the comments of the YouTube walkthrough I watched because I have no shame said it felt like an adventure game, and I agree. A Sierra-era adventure game. Or one of those dang Japanese room escape games that I love yet am terrible at. The things you need to escape are scattered all around the place, and youíd better be ready to look into every nook and cranny to find them. Thereís a lever lying in the corner, rope arrows crammed behind a bookcase, getting the (thankfully optional) loot goal requires careful searching and in one case going out of your way back into a room you have no reason to return to.

The tedious part comes in that if you miss any of this youíre stuck wandering up and down the place trying to find whatever it was that you missed. I replayed this mission a week or two ago to see if the issue the first time was just me being a moron. Turns out that yes, it is that tedious, even if you know what youíre doing.

You also donít get a good reason why half of this stuff is anywhere. Why is the key to a hidden door in a lock box and the key to that is somewhere else? Why is a key hanging in plant room under an altar? And then we have story questions: How can a personís body decay in a few days, at most? How did no one notice a boarded up door? Why break the lever on one gate but not the other? Why is there a demon gargoyle in this place? Why does taking a random amulet cause the place to start shooting lightning at you? (This bit, while fun, is also annoying, because you have no idea what to do when it starts.) Normally I wouldnít nitpick this much, but the creator seemed to be going for more of a story bent, so Iím talking about that.

And the top floor is too dark. Canít see the dang guards half the time.

All in all, itís an interesting mission, but the sheer tedium is simply too much. Not Recommended, sadly.

Added to OP, thank you.

I've just realised that this thread has been going for 8 years and 1 month, (yes, I am usually late for important dates these days). My sincere thanks to everyone who's contributed over this time. Amazing dedication!

Closedmouthed Shadows

Disclaimer: After posting this thread on The Dark Mod forums, I was informed that this was made from the demo version, before the mod was even publically available. I'm not sure if this changes my final view on it, but do consider my review with that in mind.

Closemouthed Shadows (by LordSavage) is a different sort of mission, being more of an assassination mission. Not-Garrett is recruited by a friend to kill said friendís neighbor because he has stolen from said friend. Itís a short and sweet set-up, and I admit I enjoy a good assassin mission every now and then, if just because the bow is fun.

Like I said, this is short. Very short. About five or so rooms total. Thatís not to say you canít have a good mission with that size, see Thieves Den, but this feels too short. It was the authorís first, so I canít blame him, I suppose, but I still would have liked more to do.

Difficulty-wise, pretty simple, with finding a key into the apartment you need to get into being the only part that might cause trouble. I admit, I do have to wonder at why the friend is perfectly fine with letting his friend rob his own apartment as well, but maybe we can assume a creative interpretation of the request. Some of the loot is hidden, but you shouldnít have any trouble hitting the goal.

In the end, Iím having a harder time recing this that I thought. While itís true that a short mission can still have plenty going for it, it feels too short. While the last mission I reviewed was as well, it felt like there was more content. It was a first mission, but there just doesnít feel like there was enough here, though with some expansion it would be much better. I can neither recommend or not recommend, too good to dismiss, too short to rec.

Poets and Peasants

This is slightly out of order, as Iím trying to review these in rough playing order, but eh, itís short.

Poets and Peasants (by Digi) has Not-Garrett angling for some good old-fashioned payback. A chance encounter in a bar leads him to the home of Flowers, a thief who ripped Not-Garrett off sometime ago. Now that he has money, itís time to strip it from him.

Graphics-wise, itís nothing special. Not in a bad way, just that thereís nothing overly standout about it. I do think itís one of those missions where you need to keep an eye on your light gem to see how illuminated you actually are, because itís easy to feel like youíre so lit up that multiple Vegas casinos want to hang you when youíre perfectly fine. That being said, I did like the mild variety in locations for such a small mission.

Difficulty-wise, harder than you think. Getting the loot total requires you to duck around one of those guards who canít be knocked out, and while itís easy when you get the timing down, it wasnít what I was expecting in the mission. Getting into the school is also harder than it looks, though part of this is due to needing to make a jump that doesnít seem possible, if you want that sweet sweet darkness, anyway..

All in all, itís a fun little mission, nothing amazing, but still solid. Recommended.

Rightful Property

Rightful Property (by jysk) is another city mission. The plot is simple: Not-Garratt has stolen an orb from a Builder church, and is moving to hand it off to a fence when a raid forces him to flee...without his money. Since Not-Garratt is not a man to go without money, he decides to track down his fence, get back the orb, and maybe hit a bank while heís at it.

This mission is, in contrast to the previous two Iíve reviewed, quite long. The city, while linear, has quite a few places you can slip into, which I enjoy. Due to the linearity, you canít really get lost. I did wish that it was clearer about which houses you could go into, but thatís a minor issue.

Difficulty-wise, itís...up there. The loot goal is high, and youíll have to dig around a bit to find everything. Guards are abundant, and the bank contains the bane of all thieves everywhere, especially those who wear tap shoes: marble floors. But the placement is mostly fair (I feel like there are a few too many outside of the inn, but that was on my first playthrough, the second was much smoother), and this mission actually provides a reason for so many guards on the streets, which you have to find out to complete an objective. Interestingly, you can complete it in two different ways, which I appreciate, since one way is very easy to miss.

Since the graphics are standard (so, good), I figured Iíd talk briefly about the horror aspect of this mission, which, while minor, is good. The build-up and foreshadowing is done well, giving the player a sense of foreboding, waiting for the threat to emerge. Itís minor, but I knew what was coming and was still caught off-guard by it. Very well done.

All in all, a very solid city mission with a dab of horror. Recommended.

I've finally updated the OP with these last three. Feel free to pm me if I forget to do them again.

Classical Master 2008
    Lord Beilman’s Estate by Vlad Midnight

This is one of the two mansion missions Vlad Midnight made for Thief 1 in 2009. The two were released in rapid succession, and both are fun – Invitation to Castle Morgoth is slightly better, while Lord Beilman’s is rather easier. What they have in common, though, is some seriously dark graphics. The ambient light is cranked way low, and this is barely illuminated by various light sources. The results are good-looking, and particularly interesting in this mission’s combination of Thief 2’s Victorian mansion aesthetics and Thief 1’s darker lighting scheme in a former three-level hotel converted into a rich lord’s private residence. It is always pleasant, with a consistent attention to detail – nothing excessive, just a nice, cohesive feeling.

Story-wise, Lord Beilman’s is about another priceless stock trinket (the beloved golden skull) and the clues you have to figure out before you can nab it. This is a nice, medium-difficulty task (with a few curious red herrings), and the rest of the mission is mostly about avoiding the interlocking guard patrols (they are complex and well realised), hunting loot and… some pretty silly stuff to access an even sillier bonus area. There are also some places where you can listen to InfoWars (no, really), which is fun, but rather out of place smack dab in the middle of an otherwise thematically consistent FM. The negatives also include some minor issues with patrols – sometimes, guards stop in their tracks and you have to club them, which is not good news at all if you planned for ghosting. These are only small complaints, though, and the rest makes up for them.

So that’s it: no masterpiece, but nice to look at, and nice to play.

Added, thank you - nickie

House of Theo

Disclaimer: This was done on the lowest difficulty, because I like knockouts. :P

House of Theo (by Theothesnopp) is a slightly atypical mission, maining due the aesthetics. This time, Not-Garrett has been hired by no authority less than the Emperor himself to infiltrate the titual house of Theo to find information on possible weapons, gold, a moll, etc.

The mission is mainly different in itís presentation, which is the best part of it. The mission starts with you staring out at a nice looking skybox with a sorrowful piano tune playing, and then you turn around and see a whole castle looking down on you. Itís honestly very well done, and sets the scene of this large, desolated area quite well. The castle itself, however, is a tad too big, which a little too much open space. This may have been needed though for the higher difficulties, which restain knock-outs. While I didnít beat it on that difficulty, it seems like it's very fair, based on my observations. I also hope you like that piano, because it never stops playing, and gets repetitive after awhile, not to mention loud, which makes listening for guards that much harder.

One review I read said that thereís a little too much backtracking in this mission, but I donít think I agree. For the most part, itís simple to get from one area of the castle to another, and most of the backtracking is short. The only parts of the mission that will almost definitely give you trouble are the atic and a first floor hallway. The former has a guard whoís a pain to knock out, and the latter is a door you need to go into in pitch darkness. And a guard whoís sole job is to stand there and let you bump into him because you canít see where youíre going.

All in all, good mission, though itís quirks can annoy. Recommended.

Master Builder 2018
    Thanks for the reviews, Melan and The Dark One! I enjoyed reading them. The Dark One, it would be helpful if you would include the game the mission is for in each of your reviews. Some of us might know, but many will not.

Page 112 of 119 FirstFirst ... 126267727782879297102107108109110111112113114115116117 ... LastLast