TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Thief Gold FM: Invitation to Castle Morgoth (December 30th, 08)

Where can i find the sword?

Quote Originally Posted by griswold View Post
    Never mind,found it thanx to youtube

Quote Originally Posted by griswold View Post
    Never mind,found it thanx to youtube

Finished on Normal in 1 hour and 8 minutes with 3915 of 4015 total loot.

Similar to Lord Beilman‘s Estate, Invitation to Castle Morgoth could have been one of my favorite fan missions for T1/TG, but a couple of odd design choices ruined it for me. Both missions have a hidden area with experimental rooms and jokes. In both missions, I found the hidden area about two thirds in. The wacky stuff in these rooms broke my immersion. Furthermore, both missions use music from popular media franchises: In Invitation to Castle Morgoth, a theme from The Lord of the Rings trilogy plays in the menu, and in one area of the castle, a safe room theme from the Resident Evil series can be heard. This also broke my immersion. Then there were the gravestones with in-jokes about TTLG forum posters and DromEd: another immersion breaker. Room 21 felt like a bandaid to prevent players from getting themselves into an unwinnable state. This could have been solved differently, without magic reappearing powder kegs. Lastly, I did not understand why the Bafford room was necessary. It felt out of place.

On the other hand, I want to give high praise for the atmosphere in the first sections of Castle Morgoth: It is incredibly oppressive. Through the clever placing of decaying walls, copious use of ambient sounds, and stark contrasts between darkness and the scattered light sources, Vlad Midnight created one of the most atmospheric scenarios I ever played.

The mission also does a great job of providing hints for the player on what should be done next. The only time I got stuck was when I missed the Courtyard Key. The room was very dark and I did not see it when I turned the corner.

A puzzle with a portable ladder was interesting. Haven't seen that done in other missions.

On NewDark, I could easily jump to and mantle on to the wall near the entrance to the crypt. Below me was a blue plane. I jumped down and then walked along the outer wall of the castle. In the darkness near a tree, I found a small red button floating in midair. When I pressed it, I heard an explosion. I then reloaded and got back to playing the mission properly.

I have destroyed the statue, found the ladder, and found the gate key, but I still need the teleport coin and the skull. Where can I find those?

Skull: Have you been to the crypt in the garden? In the crypt, frob the force field with the Magical Can, a haunt will appear and then die, the skull will fly around the room and drop somewhere, shoot a water arrow at it, then you can pick it up.

Teleport Coin: Use the Library Basement key on the Mages Lock in the library and then take the torch off a man and follow the path.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234