TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thief: TIS - Volume One: Cop In The Shadows - Playing Feb 10th - Feb 24th

Thief: TIS - Volume One: Cop In The Shadows - Playing Feb 10th - Feb 24th

(Hopefully no one minds me borrowing a bit of the circles art for the title card)

You'll find the Thief TIS explanation (what the group is and what we do) along with all the past volumes here: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125237

Welcome everyone to the first edition of Thief: Together In Shadows - where we playthrough a mission together and share our thoughts, experiences and general discussion about the mission at hand. Please let us know what you enjoyed about the misson, what you didn't enjoy, if you successfully ghosted the mission or any other accomplishments you'd like to list.

This is the very first volume, so the structure and feel of it may change to be more simplified or more complicated in the future - feedback on the group is greatly encouraged. Please PM me your suggestions for future missions to be chosen for the group or your thoughts on things I could change to make it more fun or run more smoothly. This group is run by the members of this forum, I'm just the mouthpiece. Without further ado, lets get this party started!

Together In Shadows Volume One: Cop In The Shadows - Playing February 10th through February 24th

Mission Information:
    Fan mission Name: Cop In The Shadow
    Author: T. Nagy Levente
    Originally Released: November 2003
    Build Time: 11 Months
    Equipment Store: No
    Custom Graphics And Textures: Yes
    Custom Sounds: Yes
    Multi Language Support: Yes

The Story:

I have no choice but to help him my darling. She is an idealist, she thinks the town guard can gain hold of the situation by some legal process. The fact is that we are two, and it isn’t recommended to go outside after 9 pm. I would definitely be interested to know what happened to the owner of the warehouse. I’m sure something low brow and altogether criminal has happened to him. He hasn’t left the business he worked for of his own free will. My guess is that he was dealt with by the mechanists. Maybe he could be found in the warehouse, a prisoner of his own ‘home’, assuming they haven’t silenced him permanently yet. But there is another greater problem than this – Lord Archer surely knows I was a crook and pickpocket before joining the police. He bragged about having obtained evidence against me. I can’t let it get into anyone’s hands. It is also disquieting that he has formed an alliance with Ramirez as of late.. or at least tries to. I have to take care of this mess quickly without getting my hands dirty – but first I have an appointment with Basso. He took a long trip to bring me those lockpicks.

Sincerely,

Garrett

Starting Objectives On Normal:

• Meet Basso to obtain your lockpicks.
    • Find The President Of The Warehouse
    • Break Into The Estate
    • Steal the valuable ancient mask
    • Steal the evidence
    • Grab 1800 Loot
    • Don’t kill any innocents
    • Make it back to your room

Additional Objectives On Hard:

• Grab 2000 Loot

Additional Objectives On Expert:

• Grab 2200 Loot
    • Don’t kill humans or robots!

Screens:

Mission Download Links:
    Keep Of Metal And Gold
    Southquarter
    The Circle

That should get everyone started. Have fun, discuss and enjoy!

Note: If you need help on the mission please check this thread first: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71856 - this is a discussion thread about the mission itself, not a bug report or help me thread and you should find what you are looking for.
    Last edited by SneakyJack; 13th Feb 2009 at 09:37.

(here is one example of a typical post for one of the playthrough threads - though it can be in any format you choose, and you can also include anything else you like such as screenshots etc)

How I played:

Difficulty: Easy
    My Playstyle: Knockout King
    Ghosted: No
    Secrets: 0 out of 0
    Loot: 2144 out of 2729
    Pockets Picked: 3 out of 6
    Knockouts: 25
    Kills: 1 (Ramirez, that guy is relentless!)
    Total Time: 51 minutes 11 seconds

General Mission Thoughts: Initially I was worried about beginning without the help of my trusty blackjack (I’m the type of player that hands out knockouts like candy on Halloween so this move by FM authors always bugs me) but that problem is quickly remedied in the first building that you start in.

This mission looks very plain for the most part – the city is large, twisting and turning but for the most part many areas feel very empty. Often times you’ll find yourself trudging to the very center of a building just to pick up one small loot item with not much to see along the way. That being said, things pick up once you are inside the Lord’s estate and look much better. Loot could have been a bit more plentiful for me – as a lot of the areas you encounter have you finding one small bit of loot or none at all – and there were many rooms filled with up to five textured fake doors with nothing else to see.

Standout Mission Traits:
    I thought the mission was very fun from a gameplay perspective though not much to look at visually. The story was done pretty well and tells a tale of lies, deceit and doublecrosses. There is somewhat of a “boss battle” when Ramirez seeks to battle with you that may bust ghosting for some, and he’s pretty tough to take down if you don’t catch him with the blackjack. Overall this is a very balanced mission.

Mission Oddities: I found a floating object or two here and there but nothing really strange to speak of.

Replay Value: This is one of those missions that once I’ve seen it once – there probably isn’t a lot to bring me back to it. Definitely worth at least one playthrough, though.

Personal Mission Accomplishments: Can’t say I really accomplished anything I thought was amazing with this one – 25 is a good number for knockouts, so I guess I’d choose that.
    Last edited by SneakyJack; 10th Feb 2009 at 21:15.

bikerdude
    sweet, downloading now - and Im first post

PS: Sneaky, can you put a date in the title of the 1st thread..

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    sweet, downloading now - and Im first post

PS: Sneaky, can you put a date in the title of the 1st thread..
    Absolutely, thanks for reminding me!

Maybe pick out the next title so we can plan on making time to play it?

Quote Originally Posted by uncadonego View Post
    Maybe pick out the next title so we can plan on making time to play it?
    Will do soon enough. Please send any general suggestions to me via PM so we can keep the threads based around discussions of the fan mission we're playing

Cool

Is this the mission of the week? So the next mission will be picked next week, yeah?

Awesome! I shalt go forth and download this little gem and play it tonight!

YES!!! I SO loved Cop in the Shadows 1 and am dl'g part II now.

Guess who's not going to bed at a reasonable hour tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Dia View Post
    YES!!! I SO loved Cop in the Shadows 1 and am dl'g part II now.

Guess who's not going to bed at a reasonable hour tonight!
    There is a part 2? Regardless, we're playing part one. I think most folks posting in here are so far are missing the plot, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkThiefsie View Post
    Is this the mission of the week? So the next mission will be picked next week, yeah?

Awesome! I shalt go forth and download this little gem and play it tonight!
    Two missions a month, Bi-Weekly posted threads. There is a sticky explaining everything. I don't understand why people are so worried about next weeks when they haven't posted their thoughts or playthrough stats for the first one?

Please refer to the Thief: Together In Shadows sticky thread at the top of this subforum for any future questions about time frames and such (not to mention the playthrough times are listed in the thread title!)

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyJack View Post
    There is a part 2? Regardless, we're playing part one. I think most folks posting in here are so far are missing the plot, so to speak.
    Yep. You're absolutely right. I totally, absolutely, unequivocably missed the 'plot'. Have to go back & re-read your original post now. I was under the impression you'd be playing newly released FMs (to be announced here?). Sorry; my mistake. No more speed-reading. Promise.

Carry on.

No worries, I just thought you discovered a part 2 that I didn't know existed and now I'm sorta bummed that it doesnt

It'll take a day or two before we see the reviews and thoughts start coming in im sure - most people need to find time to play the missions and get their thoughts together. Hopefully we get a good turnout every two weeks - I'm willing to keep this going for as long as there is an interest from the community for it to continue

I'm not trying to be picky here SneakyJack but bi-weekly has to be the most confusing word ever. It means both twice a week and fortnightly. Initially I thought I was going to have to play 2 a week. Or maybe it's an age-related issue and you young'uns all know it means every two weeks.

bikerdude
    would it be safe to ask if this is sorta like a beta testing of sorts as Im confused to what EXACTLY this is..

I don't know how to make twice a month any more clear for folks (I put twice a month in parentheses all over the place, I put the playthrough dates in the thread titles and in the thread themselves along with in the index - you can plainly see that it adds up to 14 days) and I think ya might be thinking a bit too hard about it.

Read the last couple pages of the General Discussion Megathread, read the Sticky topic devoted to explaining it and then read this one if you are still confused. I'm afraid I really cant explain it better than that.

Twice a month we choose a mission to play, review together and share discussion about. Really, its not as hard as you are making it.

Its going to take a few missions to really get it rolling and get everyone clued in - but honestly - this shouldnt be such a tongue twister if everyone has read all the info that I explained in detail

I amended the stickied thread again to try to help: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125237
    Last edited by SneakyJack; 11th Feb 2009 at 11:13.

Southquarter.com/fms
    It's amusing how confused people are getting about this - I think it's explained very thoroughly in the first post. Maybe bullet points will help:

• A previously released Thief fan mission is selected.
    • People play this mission during a two week period.
    • People share their thoughts on the mission during same two week period.
    • Select new mission, repeat.

Is that really so hard?

bikerdude
    Most of us are quite intelligent people, but the fact it has confused a number of would suggest that there is something about the title/thread... For some of us this is the first time we have come accross this btw.
    Last edited by bikerdude; 11th Feb 2009 at 12:47.

Good luck getting this going, Sneaky (especially since people are hung up on the term bi-weekly).

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    Most of us are quite intelligent people, but the fact it has confused a number of would suggest that there is something about the title/thread... For some of us this is the first time we have come accross this btw.
    I linked the index/explanation thread in this one - if you follow that link it will bring you to the stickied thread that gives more detail of what this whole thing is about

Master Builder 2018
    Think of it like a book-of-the-month club where the members read the same book at the same time and at the end of the month they all get together for drinks or dinner and discuss the book, sharing their thoughts and impressions about the story, the characters, the author's choices etc.

This is the same thing for fan missions. We all play the same mission and get together (here in this forum) do discuss the story, the characters, the gameplay, the design, the author's choices etc.

And we play and discuss a new mission every two weeks.

I like the drink_and_dinner part...

who's place for the first round??...

How I played:

Difficulty: Expert (killing of humans and robots not allowed)
    My Playstyle: Iron Man (= strive for as few reloads as possible)
    Ghosted: No
    Secrets: 0 out of 0
    Loot: 2539 out of 2729
    Pockets Picked: 4 out of 6. I did not miss any I know of. I think one is Lord Archer´s key, the other is probably the classical T2 bug.
    Knockouts: 25
    Kills: None
    Total Time: 2 hours, 3 minutes, 25 seconds

Looking at my 'Fan Missions Megalist' spreadsheet, I could see that I had played this mission before, but there was no written comment about it.

Once I made it out of the inn, I recognized some parts.

General Mission Thoughts:
    For me, the city areas do not feel "alive" enough. They are very sparse and there is not a whole lot going on, and many of the buildings you can enter seem to be there only because Garrett needs to go there to find a piece of loot. You do not get that good vibe (that is the trademark of most good FMs) that the world lives and exists without Garrett.

However, once you get into Lord Archer´s estate, things change for the better. A lot. This place looks beautiful and both the gameplay and the readables are of high quality.

"WTF?" moments:
    * Why was the key to Basso´s block with that sleeping guard? I mean, did he lock the door after Basso went in, or can Basso actually lock doors using the picks?
    * "Hmm, what dirty little secrets do you keep in your locked box, Ramirez? A Pool Room Key? Isn´t that the exact same type of key I just lifted off your belt about 10 seconds ago?"
    * Me: "OK, now I exit this Machine House building. I wonder where I am in relation to the steet parts I´ve already seen."
    Garrett: "I need to find a key for this."

"Yay!" moments:
    * Making the crucial early jump from rope arrow on the first try (no falling down and taking damage)
    * Mantling up an open door in the warehouse office building. This meant I could visit all the rooms here without needing the key I found later.
    * Finding 20 more loot than last time (even though I spent a lot more time loot hunting back then)
    * Actually completing the mission without a single reload!

Replay Value: I may go back to my last save and try to find the missing loot, but I´ll probably not play the whole thing again.
    Last edited by jiansonz; 12th Feb 2009 at 07:11.

warehouse

can someone tell me how to get into the warehouse?

@blow:

You need to take a look into an open window close to the gate to the left of the big warehouse door.

I am stuck now! I just entered the pub, in the second part of the city, made my way via the rooftops into the machine house, got the key for that same house, got to the attic (only found a piece of loot there), and now I am stuck! What to do now? is something else at the machine house attic? I can't see anything there, it's too dark. Or do I have to find a way into the estate or the warehouse? (Cause I didn't find one still)
    Somebody could give me a hint (a big one?)

Great post jiansonz, your writing style is humorous and provides for a great read

You also caught a few of the mission's missteps that I didn't in mention in your WTF moments section - I laughed as I read over them. I was confused about Garretts fetish for keys being spouted at odd times too

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast