TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152025 ... LastLast

Thread: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

*** little spoilery ***

more monsters at night, less, far, far less enemies, only small patrols and a few structures as enemy strongholds. so far I raided one location which had about 9 bad boys, combat seems better than in CS/SOC, meaning it's tougher to hit them, they seem to avoid more than stand in plain sight getting shot. I don't leave the level since I don't wanna spoil the rest without proper translation. so far I encountered dogs, pseudodogs, a pack of snorks and 2 bloodsuckers (they rule - I saw how they attacked a group of stalkers out of cloak, they must have waited for them at a crossing, 1 flew through the air, it was glorious. and yeah, it's a very "empty" space, some buildings can't be entered (maybe they only open up for missons). but it's impressive in scope nonetheless and makes sense that it's so desolate. the ship (aka bar) is much better detailed and stuffed with little things and there are more interesting NPCs (one had a pseudodog as a housepet)

I only managed to complete 2 missions with my bad russian and intuition:
    - raid an stranded enemy freighter near the new "bar" ship
    - follow some stalkers to uncover artifacts

there is big crack in the swamp level (don't know what it's called) where you can get in, it's a pretty maze down there and dark at day, that's where I had my snork attack.

all in all the animal AI seems more agressive but not stupid as in - much more evading and hopping around like crazy, except dogs, they just charge you like crazy. and they do not give up. in soc if you shot half of them the others would run away.

another spot was some kind of power station where this invisible electro-thingy charged me and killed me with bricks and crates. there I found one of the missing helicopters the game revolves around and when I "used" it, it played some ingame cutscene with the avatar explaining something or talking to himself. every group of stalkers you meet have one guy that can give you missions, trade works with everybody but they only take some things, prices are higher than in SOC I think and weapons have no value, only artifacts. there was one blowout after which I found a few dead stalkers lying around which I could loot for some pretty good stuff (like sidirovich would say) I can't confirm if anomaly fields did change, the blowout was pretty soon and I think part of the tutorial.

upgrading is in, and you pick up many nades, too much for my taste but I won't complain (you need 'em for the enemy strongholds, going in is mostly suicide, they just coverfire every entrance and you are toast), hmm, tracers at night looks awesome, especially 'cause the level is pretty flat and you can see fights a mile away (note to self - wait for shooting to stop, then go looting)

bugs: occasional AI got stuck in the ship at some ladders, a friend got the old nvidia "shadow follows you bug" from SOC, I don't.

now and then some fights break out between stalkers but nothing of CS levels, respawns are seriously towned down. No spawning in your face if you stay at a place you just cleared.

visuals are AWESOME. only works on win7 for me and I had to turn down most of the same stuff as in CS (like godrays) to get it working with decent framerate.

artifact hunting is in and tense like it was in CS (my most beloved feature).

all in all, I love it sofar, a clear improvement over CS but I can't say shit about story and if it will get to SOC levels. (no underground found yet).

I found the transition to the next map but some guys didn't let me through, so I miss the proper completed missions or just answered wrong

they have a few new stuff to pick up which I can't place yet, some looks like a repair/tool kit but I can't use it on the guns although they light up when I select it.

inventory is nice, you can see right away at the icons of your guns in what condition they are. but hud is just too big for my taste.

next step: extract all text and put it through babelfish/google to have my own monty python english translation.

I will not buy this record, it is kaputt.
    Last edited by mothra; 27th Sep 2009 at 20:48.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by mothra View Post
    they have a few new stuff to pick up which I can't place yet, some looks like a repair/tool kit but I can't use it on the guns although they light up when I select it.
    Probably a repair kit?

How are the weapons? Are you still running with shotguns or do you get something good in very first location?

Any possible screenshot of the "huge" UI?

Let's hope AMK2 will be on time this year so I can replay SoC before CoP hits.

screenshots after work, I got hold of good guns easy by killin but no sniperrifles yet.but most guns have already scope/launcher/suppressor attached (at least the ones in the building with the 9 bad guys had) i have not spot any new guns yet.

I can't confirm if anomaly fields did change, the blowout was pretty soon and I think part of the tutorial.
    I haven't played it but I know the fields change after blowouts. Thanks for the report, seems the game is much better than CS at least.

ok spoiler continues, look away if you don't want to.
    i only got pictures of the first level where you spawn, the starting gear and few surrounding structures. blowout as well and .... wet surfaces, my most beloved dx10 feature.
    and you see the (imo) ugly and big hud

I'm the captain

my kinda weather

blowout

starting gear

the bar

tower

btw, the old nvidia "shadow follows you" bug is in again, some graphical errors here and then but I'm still experimenting with my user.ltx to get the best out of it.
    x-ray version is 1.6 but the game is prerelease it seems, don't know if this is the final gold master.
    Last edited by mothra; 28th Sep 2009 at 19:33.

Look great! Do the pistols go to actual iron sight or is it still retarded like in CS?

ironsight

Oh great, Photobucket just got in site maintenance. Geez!

Though, from what I can tell from the thumbnails... it's pretty cool.

Released?

Am I to understand the game is already released, in some places? It seems this thread goes from discussions of when it'll be out (in various parts of the world), to saying the whole thing has been pushed back to Q1 2010, to what seems like a review of what I'm assuming is a Russian-language version.

this is the ukranian gold-candidate afaik. stolen & pirated from the production facility before public release. it will be out officialy on october 2nd in the ukraine and rus, in november in germany, austria, switzerland and start of 2010 in the US/Rest of World. they have a small german publisher for world-release (germany has a big, big PC market), GSC is publishing themselves in the east. The current version has a twin-copy protection:

- either you activate online and disable the cd-check
    - or you install some driver that checks your disk (smells like targes to me, didn't check)

as you can see, both copy protections are very, very effective.

Taking a break
    The current version has a twin-copy protection:

- either you activate online and disable the cd-check
    - or you install some driver that checks your disk (smells like targes to me, didn't check)

Clearinghouse
    as you can see, both copy protections are very, very effective.

this is the ukranian gold-candidate afaik. stolen & pirated from the production facility before public release. it will be out officialy on october 2nd in the ukraine and rus, in november in germany, austria, switzerland and start of 2010 in the US/Rest of World.
    AFAIK, it's not a gold-candidate, but retail version.

or you install some driver that checks your disk (smells like targes to me, didn't check)
    Starforce. It's cracked so fast for Win7 only because the drivers don't correctly install/work under that OS. Yet. I think that will change when the first patch arrive.
    Last edited by 242; 29th Sep 2009 at 05:12.

it said gold-candidate in the readme that came with it (did not get it over a torrent site, I might add, this version is not "publicly" available) and the crack is not the one with the mini-image you mount to fool the driver, it actually uses an virtual proxy to circumvent the online activation if I saw it right (I had process explorers and performance/handle monitor open and unplugged my PC from internet and homenetwork and ran some thorough virus scans afterwards). anyways, most important thing is no crash yet. I actually stopped playing since I don't wanna spoil the other maps for me and i can buy the full game in november which aint far off.

Don't want to stop in for some day-time screenies first?

will do laterz. (and I take back bug-free, had a few crashes already) I stopped playing since I pretty much emptied the whole map and like I said (even though I got some bad babelfish translation to english now) I don't wanna change to another map and spoil it for me without proper explanation/voiceovers. This is so much better than CS so far. the animals are hardcore. after a blowout there seem to be much more of them. had a fight with wild boars and snorks and didn't have enough shotgun shells so I had to run away ! the barren landscape actually is more appealing to me, makes it so much more depressing. And it seems (although random) the weather is much worse than in SOC. dusk and dawn are most beautiful, will try to screenshot them.

I'm going to buy it tomorrow, actually I'm kind of excited after reading many good opinions from fans of SoC.

i emptied the first map. all on stop until november german release. I went to a friend and his is already in pripyat. he said he played yesterday around 10hours in a row. he says it's glorious, showed me a few of his most beloved quests and all I can say is: we are in for a treat. it's sooooo much better than CS. much more character and unfortunately no good day-screenshots by me because I got constant bad weather (which I like). most of the quests are multi-parted so no "fetch-only" quests, each one progresses nicely over more than one objective and location.
    STALKER IS BACK !!!!!

<3

Taking a break
    "STALKER is finally out!", you mean

i emptied the first map. all on stop until november german release. I went to a friend and his is already in pripyat. he said he played yesterday around 10hours in a row. he says it's glorious, showed me a few of his most beloved quests and all I can say is: we are in for a treat. it's sooooo much better than CS. much more character and unfortunately no good day-screenshots by me because I got constant bad weather (which I like). most of the quests are multi-parted so no "fetch-only" quests, each one progresses nicely over more than one objective and location.
    STALKER IS BACK !!!!!
    Would you say it's more of the same (but in a good way), or that it takes the Stalker: SoC template and takes it to new places while pushing all the right buttons?

By the way, the game's still got separate areas rather than new areas being streamed in la GTA or Oblivion, right?

OK, for now I have only 1 question: what's with textures?

First, they can't be set on maximum anymore in dynamic lighting mode on my system with 2Gb of RAM, 512Mb of video RAM and WinXP (they reset to 75%); second, all look like crap with 75% textures.

I think it has something to do with much bigger maps in CoP, but it's idiotic solution for optimization. It really looks like crap with textures on 75%, and even 100% textures aren't exactly hi-res by today's standards.

*Textures of CoP are exactly of same resolution as textures of SoC and CS. They aren't any more hi-res, however I can't set them on 100% anymore. As the result, the game looks much worse than either SoC or CS.

there is a "high texture option" additional to the sliders....
    I don't see what you mean, I don't have the sliders at 100% and the game looks good. and I meant what I said, STALKER is back, meaning it left during ClearSky being a bad COD simulator.

I'd say this game is even more confusing if you didn't play SOC than CS was. it certainly takes SOC and adds bigger maps, more loose AI-life, harder(!!!) animals, blowouts with monsterspawning, hunger, sleep....many of the things the original STALKER omitted. So it's like GSC's re-interpretation of their own game mixed up with old concepts and inspirations from mods. It certainly won't please the most modders/hardcore gamers out there but that's what modding is for, GSC still has to think of "normal" gamers that don't wanna plan for minutes or sneak around for minutes to get the best tactical position before attacking.

Clearinghouse
    242, попробуй для исправления бага с текстурами низкого качества в user.ltx заменить texture_lod 1 на texture_lod 0

Clearinghouse
    242, problem solved (but Win 7 32bit only): http://forums.ag.ru/?board=fps&actio...tart=1000#1010

Last edited by clearing; 2nd Oct 2009 at 09:52.

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152025 ... LastLast