TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast

Thread: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

Oh, ok, must have missed something.

Although I have to wait a couple more months to play it, with this practicular franchise, it's always a good thing. With SoC and CS I've avoided a great deal of bugs because when I was finally able to obtain each of them, there was already the first patch released. With CoP, who knows, maybe when I'll get my hands on the game, there will be another patch, further "stabilizing" the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Vicarious View Post
    With CoP, who knows, maybe when I'll get my hands on the game, there will be another patch, further "stabilizing" the game?
    It's stable, I just was unlucky and got a rare bug which allowed me to get the gauss rifle on the first map, which ultimately led to the related game stopping bug at the end of the game. The game is good, this time it's 50% RPG / 50% shooter. (Some may say that RPG has to allow to level up, and Stalker doesn't allow that, but upgrading suits and weapons is exactly the same thing.) Pripyat seemed to me somewhat underdeveloped though, compared to the first two maps, it's large and open ended, but there is just a few quests. At least there I felt myself lonely enough, unlike other maps.
    Last edited by 242; 20th Oct 2009 at 18:15.

Taking a break
    How is the CoP modding scene?

Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    How is the CoP modding scene?
    I can't say, I haven't been interested in the mods yet.

I'm getting the dreaded entering Pripyat level crash.
    Anyone encountered and fixed this?
    I don't want to replay previous levels btw
    Can wait for first patch I suppose which may fix it.

But I did find some real goodies backtracking.......!

Quote Originally Posted by zakisbak View Post
    I'm getting the dreaded entering Pripyat level crash.
    If you use a noDVD, it could be the cause, at least I read a certain noDVD causing that.

Taking a break
    Holy Thief Batman! Is there a "trick" to the mercenary stealth mission or should I just come back at night?

Holy Thief Batman! Is there a "trick" to the mercenary stealth mission or should I just come back at night?
    There is. Sneak inside via the pipe from back of the building, it leads directly to the docs. But make sure you save before the operation (somewhere outside the perimeter) because if they spot and warn you, you will have no more than 10-20 seconds before they start firing. If they spot you when you have not yet reached the exit of the pipe, then load and start another attempt. When you'll come out of the pipe they almost surely will see you, so grab the docs and get out of there ASAP.

In my observations, night or not night doesn't matter.

Taking a break
    I hoped at night everyone will have flashlights on so it will be easier to check where they're looking/going.

Too bad about the pipe, if the security was a bit lighter it would make an excellent sneak mission.

I just saw a flash ad on GameSpot for Call of Pripyat. Said the release date for the US was February 2nd. I, for one, can't wait!

Taking a break
    Well, I can, since I'm already playing. So far, the game is pretty damn good. And huge. Huge. HUGE.

Biggest problem is the graphics. There are some great distances in the game, but the engine draws grass only so far, so instead of beautiful panoramas you get green-brown crap.

Guess I'll have to look into upgrading to windows 7.

Biggest problem is the graphics. There are some great distances in the game, but the engine draws grass only so far, so instead of beautiful panoramas you get green-brown crap.
    Can you edit the grass view distance out of its normal bounds through the .ini, or is it hardcoded?

Hardcoded.

What? What reasons do they have for doing that?

After the disappointment of Clear Sky, there's no way I'm picking this up unless it has one of these in it:

http://englishrussia.com/?p=5033#more-5033

You shouldn't pick up this one then

....but on the other hand, the guides have much bigger speed than that...

Taking a break
    Call of Pripyat is pretty much polar opposite of Clear Sky.

I may have to check it out then. Is it better than SoC?

it is different. different balancing and focus. I am playing the official german version (came to my house yesterday, no more pirating !!!) and I love it sofar. I did not play it till the end but this is so many leagues better than CS. It's certainly GOTY 2009 contender for me. hell, even the russian version floored me but then again, I'm a STALKER fanboy.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    I may have to check it out then. Is it better than SoC?
    Oh, definitely. But that doesn't say much, my opinion on SoC being what it is.

I just got stuck in X8 and I don't know if it's a bug or what.
    spoiler:
    After getting all the docs I go back up but the door to the corridor leading to the surface is locked. There's a Controller behind them(I can hear him and he drops my health with HIS MIND) but... well I'm on one side, he's on the other. The hell should I do? There is a small closed door to the side, but it's locked. It says I need a card which I don't have.

Oh, definitely.
    Why? I really, really liked SoC, but haven't played CS. And I am thinking about getting CoP when it's released in Poland. Is it really that much better than SoC?

Taking a break
    Read the rest of the sentence... I thought SoC was mediocre.

CS was, heh, heheh. Heh. Let's take the worst and most annoying aspect of CoP and make it a primary feature. That couldn't end well. And it didn't.

But CoP is serious business. Very serious business. In fact I can hardly believe it's from the same company which made the previous two games. I didn't finish it yet, but if it keeps up delivering(and really, there is no reason why it wouldn't, I can already see Pripyat is a real third playable location, and not just there so it's there) it will be a buy. Assuming EMPIK will ship them. Because polish version will probably have SecuROM and be in, well, polish.

and be in, well, polish.
    It should be. I don't get why is that a bad thing. I was working in game localization business for some time so I might be biased, but I really liked the way they handled SoC translation (Russian with well-known Polish voice-over instead of subtitles). It's the same with CoP.

Anyway, I was expecting some more detailed info about why CoP is better than SoC. But thanks.

I just got stuck in X8 and I don't know if it's a bug or what.
    I think it's a bug. The Controller should have appeared before the door, not behind.

As for which game is better, IMO it's like this: CS ---------------> CoP ---> SoC. SoC was more dark, more mysterious and atmospheric than CoP, which I always like. Also, CoP is a little bit too RPG-like than I would prefer, actually it can be considered as RPG.
    Last edited by 242; 12th Nov 2009 at 13:03.

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast