TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast

Thread: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

Quote Originally Posted by 242 View Post
    SoC was more dark, more mysterious, which I always like.
    And that's exactly what I would be looking for in CoP. One of my favourite gaming moments was randez-vous with controller in Agroprom Underground. Scary! Is something like that in CoP?

Quote Originally Posted by bukary View Post
    And that's exactly what I would be looking for in CoP. One of my favourite gaming moments was randez-vous with controller in Agroprom Underground. Scary! Is something like that in CoP?
    There is. But generally, SoC was more dark. CoP is more RPG, more mild in terms of atmosphere, you don't feel yourself as lonely as well. There are many friendly/neutral NPCs on the maps.

Taking a break
    Thanks 242, but I couldn't wait for your answer so I replayed the whole thing(In fact I just saw the outro). Took me about 5 minutes when I knew what I was doing. And yeah, looks like it's a bug.

It should be. I don't get why is that a bad thing.
    Because localizations in Poland suck, plain and simple. They suck when they have no budget and they suck when they hire famous actors. All the "famous polish translations"(BG, Torment) were simply laughable when you compared them with originals.

Admittely, it's much easier to do russian to polish translation than english to polish. On the other hand, there is a lot of spoken dialogue in CoP, so they'll probably take a few meneli spod bloku to read all the lines... ugh.

Oh well, the polish version will almost certainly have StarForce anyway, so it's moot either way to me.

Anyway, I was expecting some more detailed info about why CoP is better than SoC. But thanks.
    I'll wait with the review till tommorow, but I can link you when I finish

In short: no. It's pretty much what 242 said. There is only one "lab" level in the game, and it's pretty short. Intense, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    Because localizations in Poland suck, plain and simple.
    Well, you are wrong. And not only because such generalisations are usually false. I am well aware of bad quality of some translations. But at the same time I am responsible (as translator or proof-reader) for many localizations (e.g. all Thief games, Crysis, Deus Ex, Guild Wars and others) that were very well received by gamers and journalits.

If you are so certain that our localizations are bad, could you elaborate why, for example, Thief in Polish, as you say, sucks? I wonder if you play localized versions of video games at all. If you don't... well... I have no idea what makes you throw shit at them so easily. My guess is that you are talking about bad acting (so called full localizations) mostly... or you're one of those people that hate their own language and believe in evilness of all (Polish, French, German etc.) game translations.

On the other hand, there is a lot of spoken dialogue in CoP, so they'll probably take a few meneli spod bloku to read all the lines... ugh.
    As I said before, there will be no actors involved. Only one voice-over (lektor). It was the same with SoC and, as far as I know, people really liked that.
    Last edited by bukary; 12th Nov 2009 at 16:33.

Taking a break
    My guess is that you are talking about bad acting (so called full localizations) mostly... or you're one of those people that hate their own language and believe in evilness of all (Polish, French, German etc.) game translations.
    I believe in evilness of all translations, not because I hate my language, but because there are too many differences between english and polish(and probably also french, german, etc.) to do it. For example, genders, a bane of tranlsators because they need to stand on their heads to make the dialogue gender-indifferent. Even something as simple as word translation can fail because the words have different connotations. And that's when you have the translation ready in the first place; majority of modern fantasy and to lesser extent sci-fi was created in english, so it has NO equivalent in other languages and you need to translate it literally, which usually ends up retarded.

And that's all assuming the translation is perfect.

Of course that works both ways. I wouldn't give ten groszy for english translation of Pan Tadeusz. Or WilQ.

As I said before, there will be no actors involved. Only one voice-over (lektor). It was the same with SoC and, as fas as I know, people really liked that.
    You mean like in movies? Turn down the volume of the speaker and record the translation over it? That's... certainly an odd way of doing it.

And that's all assuming the translation is perfect.
    I see you're one of Robert Frost's followers ("Poetry is what gets lost in translation"). And I wholeheartedly disagree with your statements. Even the most difficult language traps can be avoided by talented translator in a way that makes the translation feel natural and pleasing. As for sci-fi and fantasy... I think you are wrong again. I guess you haven't read Robert Stiller's translations of "A Clockwork Orange" by Anthony Burgess, or Stanisław Barańczak's translation of Le Guin's "Earthsea", or Zelazny's "Lord of Light" translated by Piotr Cholewa... etc. etc.

Here's my article (courtesy of CD-Action) about game localization, if you're interested. Lots of examples there.

Are these translations in Polish version of Thief worse (from aesthetic point of view) than (or that different in meaning from) original? IMHO the last one is even superior as it makes better use of Garrett's irony and cynicism (with the inclusion of idiom that refers to lowlife).

Code:
    Dark waters surged flooding the world as they bore life,
    Hard earth then rose giving substance and strife,
    Storm breath blew binding the land in halos of wrath
    Last came raging flames cleansing minds for the final path.

Mroczne wody, w głębi łona niosąc życie, świat zalały;
    Twarda ziemia wnet powstała, zrodziwszy surowce, skały;
    Oddech sztormu zmierzwił lądy wichrem ryczącym zwycięsko;
    Aż wściekły ogień oczyścił myśli przed końcową ścieżką.
    Code:
    Where doest thou wander, 
    oh lady of the cinders?
    Upstairs and downstairs, 
    and in thy nightly chambers...

Gdy mglisto i noc grobowa, 
    gdzie błądzisz, Popielna Pani? 
    I w górę, i w dół, po schodach, 
    między twymi komnatami.
    Code:
    If [...] there's a dark age coming... then Docks is where to start search 
    for it. It's about as dark as this city gets.

Jeśli [...] nadchodzi Wiek Ciemności, to jego poszukiwania należy rozpocząć
    właśnie w Dokach. Tutaj jest tak ciemno, że gubią się nawet... 
    typy spod ciemniej gwiazdy.
    You mean like in movies? Turn down the volume of the speaker and record the translation over it? That's... certainly an odd way of doing it.
    That's exactly what I thought when I heard about it for the first time. But, surprisingly, it worked pretty well in SoC.

From what I read it seems that you really enjoyed CoP. The fact that you also liked Crysis (so did I) and your reputation of hard to please gamer definitely make me want to buy CoP. I am looking forward to some extraordinary gaming experience then...
    Last edited by bukary; 12th Nov 2009 at 18:51.

242, did you have/do you know about some memory leak bug in COP ?
    Since I installed the german version on win7 x64 dx10 I noticed that after exactly 20minutes my fps drop into the single digits. When I restart (not reload) the game I'm back to 60fps. until the next 20min pass. And this already happens in Zaton. I didn't remember that while playing the russian version (which was on win xp x32 dx9)

Quote Originally Posted by mothra View Post
    242, did you have/do you know about some memory leak bug in COP ?
    No, I didn't experience that (win xp x32 dx9, not patched). Maybe it's becuase the German verion is already patched with the first patch and the patch is defective, just a presumption. Try it on winxp maybe?

Taking a break
    I see you're one of Robert Frost's followers ("Poetry is what gets lost in translation").
    Yes. I should also mention that most of polish "fantasy" sounds just silly. I have no problem with, say, "Meat Wagon"(W3). Polish equivalent, that is, Wóz Mięsa/Mięsny/etc. sounds just silly. Ray of Light? Go ahead. Promień światła? Erg. Well, that's (one of) my deviation(s).

From what I read it seems that you really enjoyed CoP. The fact that you also liked Crysis (so did I) and your reputation of hard to please gamer definitely make me want to buy CoP. I am looking forward to some extraordinary gaming experience then...
    "Reputation of hard to please gamer"... haha. Anyway, now you can read all about it.

Yes. I should also mention that most of polish "fantasy" sounds just silly. I have no problem with, say, "Meat Wagon"(W3). Polish equivalent, that is, Wóz Mięsa/Mięsny/etc. sounds just silly. Ray of Light? Go ahead. Promień światła?
    Mięsny wóz and promień światła sound just fine, what's wrong with them?

Quote Originally Posted by 242 View Post
    Mięsny wóz and promień światła sound just fine, what's wrong with them?
    Exactly (although I don't know the context of these expressions and it should be "wóz mięsny", not "mięsny wóz"). Besides, your argument is wrong, Koki, if you play CoP in English. Let me remind you that you are playing translated version of the game.

Why would you choose English translation over Polish? I really think you simply dislike your language... And your knowledge about Polish localizations (and literary translations) is, as it seems, limited. You did not even bother to refer to my examples (from literature and Thief games). Not that it matters much as it was off-topic discussion anyway.

"Reputation of hard to please gamer"... haha.
    Euphemisms are one of the easiest ways to avoid flame war (and make someone look like a pusssy).

Thanks for the link to your review!
    Last edited by bukary; 13th Nov 2009 at 10:58.

I live in Poland and I have to say I don't know what to do. We're getting CoP in two weeks which sounds great. Unfortunetely, I don't know if you guys that know the deal are familiar with that, but CoP will not only be localized, it's gonna have a lector, just like SoC and CS. A freaking lector. After SoC I've decided to buy CS from UK so that I can avoid that shit and was planning to do the same with CoP. But now that's messed up. Get a game in two weeks but play with the lector you can't turn off (and even if I did, all dialogs would be in Russian)? Or wait another 2-3 months for an English version, which is gonna be out in a UK shop a week later, and it's gonna have it's release on Friday which means I will wait over a (another) week for it?

I don't mind Polish localizations if they're subtitles only... but a dubbing and, even worse, a lector is just... beyond unacceptable for me. And to think that after two stalkers with a lector people ASKED for another version like that...

Here's a taste if you're not familiar:

CoP lector
    First 10min of SoC with lector

Quote Originally Posted by Vicarious View Post
    Here's a taste if you're not familiar
    I am familiar with this localization as I finished SoC in Polish. And I really liked it! The idea of "lector" seemed quite strange at the beginning, but it worked pretty well in this case. No wonder people wanted CoP to be localized that way. Of course, Russian with subtitles would be great too. To each his own. For me SoC in English (without Russian dialogues) would lost a lot of its appeal.

Taking a break
    242, did you ever meet a Controller in Creek/Zaton? I found one in a "secret" cave next to a dead body of a guy named Myron, is there a purpose to that location?

242, did you ever meet a Controller in Creek/Zaton? I found one in a "secret" cave next to a dead body of a guy named Myron, is there a purpose to that location?
    No, except in that place. I though he could be a part of a quest, but I killed the poor thing (with a LOT of reloading) even before I got to Skadovsk for the first time, so I don't know for sure. It was the cave where I foolishly decided to hide from the first blowout

Anyway, now you can read all about it.
    I've just read this. You don't have to wait 4 months (?) for official Polish version; it will be released this month.

And, Koki, in spite of your horrendous language (a terrible mixture of swearing, "cool" neologisms derived from English, teenager's slang, foreign and local words, wrong punctuation, spelling and even ortography) this "review" was quite useful for someone who considers CoP purchase.

And, Koki, in spite of your horrendous language (a terrible mixture of swearing, "cool" neologisms derived from English, teenager's slang, foreign and local words, wrong punctuation, spelling and even ortography...

"He say you brade runner, mister Deckard."

I am familiar with this localization as I finished SoC in Polish. And I really liked it! The idea of "lector" seemed quite strange at the beginning, but it worked pretty well in this case. No wonder people wanted CoP to be localized that way. Of course, Russian with subtitles would be great too. To each his own. For me SoC in English (without Russian dialogues) would lost a lot of its appeal.
    English version has a lot of Russian dialogs. Which is stupid. I mean ok, it's cool for a minute but you know what, I'd rather understand the campfire stories and so on. I can't believe how much cool things I've missed because everybody (both English and Polish versions) decides not to translate things like that.

Each to his own, yes, but everyone's making it hard to be like that. If I don't like the lector I can't turn him off. I can't set subtitles. I can't do anything. I mean, how much effort would it take to set all those ready-to-go sentences that the lector "translates" into subs?

Seems that Cenega forgot how they've handled NecroVisioN. You could install either full English, full Polish or Polish with subs. But stalker, nooo, everyboby loooves the lector so we wooon't give any options, any at all.

Taking a break
    I've just read this. You don't have to wait 4 months (?) for official Polish version; it will be released this month.
    You just don't give up, do you. Fun Fact: Russian version has StarForce while German version has SecuROM; We'll see again in what part of the world Poland really is.

(a terrible mixture of swearing, "cool" neologisms derived from English, teenager's slang, foreign and local words, wrong punctuation, spelling and even ortography)
    Don't forget inside jokes. I'd have to be one stuck-up dork to write a "proper" review when I'm not even getting paid for it. Hell, if I had to write properly I probably wouldn't bother at all.
    That, and last time I actually wrote regularly in polish was in High School.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicarious
    If I don't like the lector I can't turn him off. I can't set subtitles.
    You can't set subtitles because there is quite a few talky in-engine TPP cutscenes, and the engine doesn't even support displaying text like that(as far as I know). So it's either lector or full dub.

You can't set subtitles because there is quite a few talky in-engine TPP cutscenes, and the engine doesn't even support displaying text like that(as far as I know). So it's either lector or full dub.
    Hm. Then I'd prefer full dub, even in Polish. The best would be if I could install either Polish or English dub but since English version is already a translated one rather than original, that's never gonna happen. Lector makes it sounds fake.

Hey Koki, could you give a quick translated summation of that post? I'm interested in knowing what you think has been improved etc in this one and I can't read polish.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Dust View Post
    Hey Koki, could you give a quick translated summation of that post? I'm interested in knowing what you think has been improved
    "Everything"

Taking a break
    Why do you make me doublepost? Why?

Is there a way to solve the
    spoiler:
    Monolithan
    quest without befriending either Duty or Freedom? Both of them say they don't trust me, and I can't talk to anyone else about it.

Is there a way to solve the
    spoiler:
    Monolithan
    quest without befriending either Duty or Freedom?
    AFAIK, no.

hey ladies, anyone checked the released swissgermanaustrian edition for english language? or for any other language than german for that matter...

Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast