TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6111617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat

Thanks, mothra.

How do I open the gas container on the bridge?

You need two keys, to find the first you should try to think about where the commander was when the bridge broke off. You'll also have enough info for the second one.

i finished it and immediately restarted. I thought it was a fitting end to the series and a good little taste of things that might come or get explored in possible future games ? also - can you somehow find out who hired the mercenaries (the ones from the sniper mission for example) that wanted to get into the lab themselves

Taking a break
    Nope, the mercs stay a mystery.

Did you get the "Stalkers rush to Pripyat" ending?

no, seems gari (the guy I should have brought 2 artifacts so he can leave the scientists) warned them all to NOT go there or something like this....

i got the whole:
    - strelok, sokolov, me, the chief of military and danilo survived, blabla
    - zulu got silver medal of duty (I left him dead in the tunnel)
    - permanent zone observation created in pripyat
    - sadovsk is A-OK, many stalkers there and in zaton (since no mutants left)
    - scientists are heroes, they get more money for studies
    - Zano (crazy guy) defends his ship against snorks with little pseudodogs
    - me goin back to zone, soldiers are a mystery

I loved the patchwork epilogue, it all depends on the missions you did, just like it should be:

unfinished missions at the end of the game:
    - find magpie
    - find 2 friends of kardan
    - get duty/freedom to take in the monolith

In X8 I found 5 documents (including the original one), killed one gnome, a few snorks and didn't manage to get into a peculiar white chest/credenza. It said: "it is locked". it's in the same room as the gnome with the childvoice.

on another floor you find a room with some computers and a picture of some guy on the wall. in this room I can clearly hear those hamsters and a gnome walking behind the wall but I couldn't find any way to get there. in all I just encountered one gnome and the 2 artifact thingies that hurl objects at you.
    somehow I think I missed something.

--------------

another question about the ending:

before you reach the helicopter you pass a building where a controller-attack gets triggered (although no controller to be seen around) and the doctor gets down. I then got him back up and off we went. Was there anything I missed there ? did anyone go back there using the freeplay option (I decided to leave to see the end-movies) ?

well, I restarted anyway to replay on Master, no crosshair, no NPC detection and now I will make an effort to find stupid magpie and end the other missions as well.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by mothra View Post
    no, seems gari (the guy I should have brought 2 artifacts so he can leave the scientists) warned them all to NOT go there or something like this....
    Same here on both playthroughs. No one seems to know how to make it so he doesn't scare everyone away, and it IS possible(You can watch "best ending" at YT). Word on the street is, you need to have some soldiers survive the assault at the hospital.

unfinished missions at the end of the game:
    - find magpie
    - find 2 friends of kardan
    - get duty/freedom to take in the monolith
    spoiler:
    Magpie is Flint, the annoying Freedomer who talks all the time in Janov. There are two ways to expose him, either find dying Silver in the Quarry, or just listen to his "stories" after you do enough quests.

spoiler:
    The friends quest is a bitch if you get it late because then you'll have next to no chance to find both, and you probably will get it late since you're not going to upgrade(and thus give him the vodka to mention it) before you explore most of the map. Anyway, once you get the quest, you can find one of them in the tunnels under the burned village(watch the minimap for dead body mark) and the other is just a skeleton with a PDA next to it south of Pineoak.

The Freedomers not taking in Monolith must be a bug, do you play with the patch?

In X8 there are total six docs, four are easy to find(follow signs on the walls) and two are on normally inaccessable floor; you need to get to it by going through the elevator shaft and jumping into a broken elevator. How could you find a total of 5?

before you reach the helicopter you pass a building where a controller-attack gets triggered (although no controller to be seen around) and the doctor gets down. I then got him back up and off we went. Was there anything I missed there ?
    Nope, AFAIK that's it.

I must say, during X8 and later last missions my mouth was foaming with geek-saliva. I was in stalker-nerd-heaven. Or in the tunnel, as clunky and ridiculous the cutscene for the "start of mission - descend into tunnel" was, I was so tense and full of expectations, didn't have that feeling in a game for a long time. When all of my buddies (zulu, danilo, sokolov) said "I'm ready, let's do this" I WAS PUMPED ! history in the making. today pripyat, tommorrow THE WORLD !!! When the end credits played after the "conclusion" movie I wanted to stand up and salute all my fallen comrades and stalkers of all factions.

i had 5 docs including the original one, so I only found 4 in the building.....but I did jump into each elevator, I spent 3 hours in that building, I even pushed around some furniture to build myself a little tower but nothing....I must be blind.

hospital - wow, yeah, that should be very, very hard on master to accomplish. the solider guys went down in like, 1 minute.........maybe I just lower the difficulty for that one......

magpie - I knew it was some guy in janov (got tip from owl) but I never noticed that option on flint.....was lazy I guess

kardan - hmm, i was in that tunnel (it's full of other anomalies) but was too busy not dying and I did find that skeleton but no pda....

anyways, I already restarted on MASTER, no crosshair/identify and turned on all graphic features. screw my framerate, I already know the game so a little more challenge via low fps is welcome as long as I get those gorgeous illuminated mornings and scary nights their full glory.

I'm so happy that COP is what it is. It could have been so much other things after CS strayed away from the path. Next thing I will replay the whole trilogy: clear sky - shadow of chernobyl - call of pripyat

I don't know, I'm a few hours in Prypiat and it's a bit a letdown again. It looks bland and there's too much soldier shooting missions in a typical FPS attitude. I thought it was going to be the zone psi monsters anomalies weirdo madhouse.

I just fired up SoC with the Complete Mod again and that first few hours up until the bar, ah well... this is where I wanna picnic.

you have to explore to find the monster closets - doom style . yeah, pripyat is barren but that makes it so creepy imo. after hours of swimming through swamps I was very happy with full out military action. btw there are snorks, chimeras, controllers, some gnomes and a few hidden spots and crazy anomalies to find, if you don't run straight to the obj marker (and stay up at night) I found it to be very atmospheric and crazy. well, to each his own. SOC is certainly richer in content but some of the situations/missions in COP surpassed it easily imo. SOC has also the "first time" bonus. But COP came pretty close. GSC redeemed themselves, they sure looked a little out of their league or direction in CS after key members left.

UPDATE: replay, found joker and barge it's pretty hard finding anything without crosshairs
    I also ran into a funny bug. under the burning village is a gravi artifact (it's actually not a gravi but similar, can't remember the name in english) and when it is "detected" it appears on the ceiling of the cave. although I get the "pick up" dialogue I CANNOT pick it up......
    maybe because it sticks to the ceiling ?
    Last edited by mothra; 3rd Dec 2009 at 03:17.

I very rarely go out at night. TOO SCARY!

I will finish it and probably go for a 2nd run. I could simply do with less military stuff bangbang. A Stalker game with no military or factions shootouts would work just as well. Just living in the zone collecting artifacts as a hired artifact collector to make a living. Skillfully navigating through anomalies in a spooky landscape while fighting mutants. And maybe you even have some personal reasons to go to the centre, to the wishgranter or whatever waits there. That would've been more than enough content. Not even SoC was this straight.

But it's still a great game and an unique experience, not argueing with that.

Taking a break
    Honestly, snauty, I agree, but why are you bringing that up against Call of Pripyat of all STALKERs when in CoP you were fighting ten times as much and CS... well that was like UT3 single player? CoP is by far least shooty of the three.

Quote Originally Posted by mothra View Post
    I also ran into a funny bug. under the burning village is a gravi artifact (it's actually not a gravi but similar, can't remember the name in english) and when it is "detected" it appears on the ceiling of the cave. although I get the "pick up" dialogue I CANNOT pick it up......
    maybe because it sticks to the ceiling ?
    Actually quite a few gravitational artifacts levitate. That's because they're... gravitational You need to get really really close to it to get it, which usually means shooting it out of anomaly and hoping it will respawn in a different place.

By the way, I finally know why it's so hard to keep the military alive during the hospital raid. It's because of the... grenades. AI throws grenades in a really high arc, so the chance a soldier will actually throw it out through the small window is next to zero. So they try to throw a grenade, it hits the roof and falls under their feet, killing them. One way to avoid it is sticking close to them, another - a lot of quickloading.

Of course, you still need to take out the Preacher ASAP and as many snipers as you can for them to even have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by snauty View Post
    I very rarely go out at night. TOO SCARY!

I will finish it and probably go for a 2nd run. I could simply do with less military stuff bangbang. A Stalker game with no military or factions shootouts would work just as well. Just living in the zone collecting artifacts as a hired artifact collector to make a living. Skillfully navigating through anomalies in a spooky landscape while fighting mutants. And maybe you even have some personal reasons to go to the centre, to the wishgranter or whatever waits there. That would've been more than enough content. Not even SoC was this straight.

But it's still a great game and an unique experience, not argueing with that.
    sim stalker ? nah, I'm in it for the shooty stuff as well as the creepy exploration stuff. and of this COP has both. it's more linear in its main quest but there are more combinations/permutations of the "middle" part of the game than SOC ever had (and it is handled better), much better than CS and FAR LESS shooty than SOC (and CS of course).

but why do I even bother, you just admitted that you don't go out at night. discussion over, critique noted but unqualified (at least regarding mutant density and creepiness)

--------

Question: when you get the mission by owl to raid the mercenary camp you find:
    2 PDAs from the mercs discussing the situation
    1 notebook containing the letter from the jackal eluding to the meet&greet later witnessed in pripyat

if you return the notebook to Owl the mission gets accomplished
    you can then additionally sell both PDAs to Owl

- does this somehow affect the end/stuff to find out later in pripyat if I e.g. keep the jackal-info (and PDAs maybe as well), will this info be used by the Secret Service or is it just a tease for things to come ?

Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    Honestly, snauty, I agree, but why are you bringing that up against Call of Pripyat of all STALKERs when in CoP you were fighting ten times as much and CS... well that was like UT3 single player? CoP is by far least shooty of the three.
    I'm not bringing that up against Call of Pripyat. I wrote "a stalker game". I already expressed my fascination for CoP, especially its middle third, where it comes quite close to my idealised setting and that's what lead me to bringing it up in the first place. Don't mix up. The letdown was that towards the end it too moves to shooty actiongame military talk and drama, though less than CS and SoC. And playing as a special agent dude on a covert mission is kinda meh, too but I tend to forget this while playing anyway. Still better than generic amnesia stuff, mind.

Mothra, the night thing wasn't to be taken this seriously.

And again, I like it. One of the best games in a long time. No ranting there. Don't get me started on Fallout3 or Oblivion or Bioshock...

yeah, please bear with me, I tend to get overprotective of STALKER. it reached almost DeusEx levels of fandom for me although not justified if compared.....
    well, there is just nothing else like it out there (don't get me started with AngryCheckpointCry2 and LOL-TA4, games I both own and played)

I found one in a "secret" cave next to a dead body of a guy named Myron, is there a purpose to that location?
    Where exactly is that cave?

Neither did I
    okay, so wtf were you talkin bout

Taking a break
    Christ you're thick. Go to a goddamn torrent site and get the goddamn game.

Quote Originally Posted by bukary View Post
    Where exactly is that cave?
    Here.

Also, anyone noticed how there are several Monolith signs out of Pripyat? I think I already posted the antenna in Jupiter, and if this is Monolith symbol, there's another one in the Forest Authority(No screenshot, it's in the same building where there's a stash with SPAS-12).

Also also, when "exfiltrating" Mikayel or whatshisname from the Bandit base you can jump from this pile of sand and on the container possibly skipping the encounter with Dwarf.

the signs mark monolith stashes. you find that info in a pda in pripyat.
    and that cave is the controller-cave for zaton, aint it ?

btw, I found out how you can get magpie/flint:
    - do the bloodsucker mission in zaton
    - find the controller in above mentioned cave
    - give Gari the maps for getting easier to zaton

in zaton you can then make flint shut up for all his claims and lies he's telling since YOU were the one that did them. then outside of zaton directly under the giant wheel (where you find Streloks stash/pda) is a freedom guy (splinter) lying and dying. you can help him/leave him to die but if you ask him how this happened he tells you flint ran away with the artifact leaving him to die. after that you just get the "flint==magpie" message and then can go and tell Duty, Freedom or the original requestor: Gonta.
    Tell it Gonta and you get the most money.

Koki: what are you talking about ? what dwarf encounter ? isn't that the mission where you get the hostage ? there was no dwarf, only differnent ways to start it (ends always in a fight afaik)

Taking a break
    How the mission goes depends on what you tell the guys who give it to you. You can say they should do it the diplomatic way, then they give you a Goldfish and send you to give it to the bandit leader; or you can just assault the base, with their support or alone.

If you go the diplomatic route, you talk to the leader and either give him the Goldfish or pay 15k. Then as you're getting out of the base, a guy nicknamed Dwarf blocks your way and tells you to pay extra for "hospitality"(~3-4k IIRC). That's the encouter you can (Presumably) skip by taking the container route.

Christ you're thick. Go to a goddamn torrent site and get the goddamn game.
    nah, not gonna ruin it with crappy translation

imma wait for a proper english version while dying to play

ok, 2nd playthrough: got the boss achievement for helping sultan after the whole compass/detector/shady business quests, found kardans friends, uncovered magpie, found the oasis (that fucker took me almost an hour), got gari his 2 artifacts, found a new home for rogue and have only jupiter to clean out and then head again to pripyat. my mission: keep everybody and anybody in the tunnel and pripyat alive, except the monolith and monsters. that should net me the "full" good ending (with the exception of beard I assume but I helped him last time).
    since I now know which missions to take in succession and which ones to take together I could shorten the playtime but the good old "let's go out at night" still gets me.
    my grenade launcher calls out for chimeras
    this playthrough was even more epic although I already know all the monster closets, disabling the crosshair and no sleep (so I don't skip emissions, adds to tension especially with the exo without sprint - yet) made it happen.
    Last edited by mothra; 4th Dec 2009 at 20:15.

Taking a break
    There's still the case of dying military. Even though I managed to keep two of them alive during the hospital raid I still got the bad end.

Maybe there's a way to save all these patrols from dying? Like going and killing the Controller ASAP?

1st post here.

Have barely begun CoP, but I am quite impressed. This is so much more the game I wanted the original Stalker to be. I like almost everything: exploring, humans remaining friendly or neutral, large view distances, the general feeling of a much more realistic world, that is not dangerous all the time, but will surprise and kill me sooner or later. I also like that anomalies are not only dangerous but also not explained very much, so I have figure them out myself, which means I have to move into danger.

If I had to sum up I would say that I am now really playing a Stalker and not a killing machine, something which for me brought down the first part (I never tried the second since it was obviously even worse).

There are some concerns I have, e.g. I don't understand is why it is almost impossible to find any hidden stuff. Is there none, or is it just hidden too well? It would be a shame if GSC had created this huge explorable area and then missed out on the opportunity to place the rewards (on hard to reach places of course). So far I have found some valuable drugs in a tunnel, but that's about it.

Another is that some things about the interface are done badly. For example it almost impossible to compare weapon stats, since there is only a bar without numerical information and they all look just the same before my eyes.

Taking a break
    I also thought CoP was empty, even after playing it for two weeks. Yesterday I found detailed area maps from some russian site and... holy cow. There are tons of stashes EVERYWHERE. The stash locations you get from quests wouldn't even add up to half of all stashes on any given map.

The problem is, most of CoP maps are wilderness, so most stashes are in a middle of nowhere. I.e. you'd need to check out under every tree and around every rock to find them.

As for comparing the weapon stats, just equip one weapon and then hover the mouse over the other. You'll get a nice overview of how the stats relate ot each other.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalExplorer View Post
    Another is that some things about the interface are done badly. For example it almost impossible to compare weapon stats, since there is only a bar without numerical information and they all look just the same before my eyes.
    The difference is indicated by color. Red - a characteristic is worse, green - better. Mouseovered weapon is compared with appropriate equipped one.

Damn Koki, you're fast.

Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6111617181920212223242526 ... LastLast