TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Mafia 2 Impressions

is Best Pony
    I actually quite like what Star Trek Online has done re DLC of that sort - you can now or will soon be able to buy the rest of the retailer exclusives through their in-game store (you have to buy points, mind you). The only thing that will not be on offer will be the exclusives given to those who signed up for lifetime accounts prior to launch, which I think is right and proper - though I'm sure even those will be offered eventually.

so everybody else has to wait for a GOTY edition to get any cut content - just like they did with Batman:AA, actively making you pay twice instead of the difference between the standard and collectors edition. that is not how you build a long-lasting customer relationship. I got the Bioshock2 SpecEd and it was worth it, goodies like the record and artbook and superior packaging justified the steep price and it had at least the same bloody game beneath it.

Specs are out

OFFICIAL MAFIA II PC SPECS

Many of you have been asking for this update, and now, it's finally here! The PC requirements and recommendations for Mafia II have now been finalized - it's time for you to check out your computer's specs and get it ready for Mafia II on August 24th.

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP (SP2 or later) / Windows Vista / Windows 7
    Processor: Pentium D 3Ghz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ (Dual core) or higher
    RAM: 1.5 GB
    Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8600 / ATI HD2600 Pro or better
    Hard Disc Space: 8 GB
    Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
    Peripherals: Keyboard and mouse or Windows compatible gamepad

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP (SP2 or later) / Windows Vista / Windows 7
    Processor: 2.4 GHz Quad Core processor
    RAM: 2 GB
    Video Card: nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX / ATI Radeon HD 3870 or better
    Hard Disc: 10 GB
    Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compliant card
    Peripherals: Keyboard and mouse or Windows compatible gamepad

PHSYX/APEX ENHANCEMENTS SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP (SP2 or later) / Windows Vista / Windows 7 Minimum Processor: 2.4 GHz Quad Core processor
    Recommended Processor: 2.66 GHz Core i7-920 RAM: 2 GB

Video Cards and resolution: APEX medium settings
    Minimum: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 (or better) for Graphics and a dedicated NVIDIA 9800GTX (or better) for PhysX
    Recommended: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 (or better)

Video Cards and resolution: APEX High settings
    Minimum: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 (or better) and a dedicated NVIDIA 9800GTX (or better) for PhysX
    Recommended: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 for Graphics and a dedicated NVIDIA GTX 285 (or better) for PhysX NVIDIA GPU driver: 197.13 or later.
    NVIDIA PhysX driver: 10.04.02_9.10.0522. Included and automatically installed with the game.

I've heard (second hand, but the original source works at 2k) that they've stripped a ton of the content out of this (went from four possible endings to one, and pretty much all of the side missions are gone). You might want to put your expectations in check.

The gaming industry is dead. Long live the gaming industry.

So it won't be Windows 7 only as I had heard before and will work on XP, yessss

Quote Originally Posted by Fafhrd View Post
    I've heard (second hand, but the original source works at 2k) that they've stripped a ton of the content out of this (went from four possible endings to one, and pretty much all of the side missions are gone). You might want to put your expectations in check.
    there is an video diary explaining why they ditched it. It's not that they try to hide it, they made it publicly themselves thinking it shows their dedication to the best possible story/game. I don't know, Mafia1 had no different endings, I'm OK with that.
    But damn, those specs are HIGH.
    What I really fear is this damn DLC-business where stories get butchered for content to be inserted into the game later on. I just don't wanna buy a normal OR special ed anymore because later down the road they suddenly come up with stuff that "should" have been in the game or was already, just removed to make more chash later.

Quote Originally Posted by mothra View Post
    But damn, those specs are HIGH.
    RAM: 2 GB
    Video Card: nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX / ATI Radeon HD 3870 or better
    as recommended are high?

As for the quad core, it seems devs always exaggerate CPU requirements, they were fair in the pre graphics accelerators era, but not now. I found that as far as you have a good graphics card, 2-2.4Ghz Dual Core is quite enough for modern games (and latest too) .

quad cores become a necessity nowadays. And yeah, a quad-core in recommended is a high spec for me. And no, they don't really exaggerate this imo, a quad-core in BF:Bad company DOUBLES your frames/sec in comparison to an DualCore or threaded core. I would rather get a 8core if possible and not too expensive at this time. My PC will pull through I guess but I'm sure I will either play on lowest quality settings so I can hold my 1680x1050 reso or have a lower-res and blurrier picture but more fancy stuff turned on.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

If you're building a computer NOW, then you really should be getting a quad core at minimum. Also 4GB RAM minimum.

That being said, you can probably count all of the games that genuinely benefit from have a quad core on one hand. ArmA 2, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, GTA4. Maybe Metro 2033 as well? I don't know since I've never played it.

A high clocked dual core should probably still be fine for 85% of the games out there. Most of your Core 2 Duo's will probably still be good enough until the next gen of consoles launches, which are probably not til 2012/2013.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 13th Jul 2010 at 07:29.

even crysis1 scales with the CPU cores. as does supreme commander, the new starcraft and a few other rts titles. which aint my genre to be honest but it's starting to make sense - even when only upgrading my current system. I wanna hold on to my PC as long as possible so a CPU upgrade would give me enough boost for the next year. I already have 4GB RAM and bought a GTX260 cheap. I wanna sit this HW generation out but games like STALKER or Mafia I wanna play at the best possible settings, getting a core7 would mean that I have to change everthing.

double post for news: 2K seems to have cancelled the PC CE over night and only offer it for consoles. The only existing collectors edition for PC will be for Poland, was limited and already sold out and not done by 2K directly. All preorders are getting cancelled as reported by 2k forum users where an own thread discusses the change without 2k aknowledging or denying. Oh, Elizabeth, were are thou ?
    Or better...how far has it come. 2k forum is pure poison, I don't mean the posters, I just read the overall general guidelines, rules and advices by 2K in general and 2K Tobey in particular and its like: all are guilty until they themselves prove otherwise. We assume only the worst and want our discussions limited to hype. But when we give some new information we want you all to join hands around the fire and inform all of your friends that they should buy this game.

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=65

Originally Posted by 2K Elizabeth View Post
    Hey guys,

We do have the CE on PC - but not in all regions. Here is a list of major regions that will be getting it:

North America
    France
    Italy
    Germany
    Spain
    Belgium
    Netherlands
    Luxembourg
    Australia

There are also some other European areas that are not on my list that will get some, but I don't have them all on the sheet I was given.

Demo out Aug 10th

well, i couldn't find any in germany. I call that list bogus. the german amazon page only lists it as "maybe existing" but doesn't know either price nor release date.
    http://www.amazon.de/2K-Games-Mafia-...0997422&sr=8-1

is Best Pony
    Huh. I'm surprised the UK won't be getting it given that no translation or anything would be required.

i found out why it's not listed with german retailers: in germany the electronic store SATURN gets the collectors edition EXCLUSIVELY, meaning nobody else (besides ebay) is allowed to sell it.
    WTF ?!

If they make me to jump through hoops to give them more money for a CE then I'm sorry. Normal Edition, here I come.

In Australia the demo was released at 5pm today (steam). Anyone play it?

epic. so what can we do ? can we dick around in the city forever ? is there a mission or two ? I still got hours before I get home and don't know if it's out in the EU already.....

is Best Pony
    RPS comments seem to suggest that there's a 10 minute time limit on it - enough to do the first mission or just mess around.

Clearinghouse

well, hearing that I already found a "unlock timer" crack for it....let's hope it works. I don't know why they do that, they could just lock the missions and give us the city or more locations.

Played the demo.

IMO, it's gorgeous.
    Smooth, nice driving and (fire)fight mechanics, beautiful, detailed, and realistic graphics, impressive cutscenes and living city. I loved the first game, and I'm pleased with this demo.

Chakat sex pillow

played it

The bad, first: After exiting the game, it seems to have triggered some hidden UAC warning window or equivalent somewhere, so my screen's stuck at a gamma level of -50 while the mouse cursor is positively fluorescent in contrast.

Antialiasing is weird. I don't know what the default level of AA is since you can only turn it On or Off, but it doesn't seem to help much, if at all, apart from bringing the frame rate down. The game is also slightly schizophrenic in terms of remembering whether AA was set to on or off, especially if you run the benchmark afterwards. It actually runs butter-smooth otherwise.

I'm not too sure if I like the regenerating health mechanic. It just doesn't fit in; to be fair, neither does a health counter, but it just seems too easy now. Granted, this is possibly a very early mission in the scheme of things.

The original Mafia had some uncannily realistic faces on top of ridiculous polygonal bodies. In Mafia 2, they just look like they're aiming for uncanny - as in, the valley.

The good: it's Mafia, all right. The atmosphere and attention to detail's all here (just rove around Vito's digs at the start and you'll see what I mean). The one mission (yeah) seems to reiterate they still know how to execute a good mission hook.

The cars are from the 40's so there's some actual muscle under the hood, and they're a joy to drive. Until you hit the cops. The cops are less tenacious than in the original Mafia, but they still give you some pretty dogged pursuit, and are likely to swamp you if you take a wrong turn.

While I don't like the regenerating health, the combat feels perfect. The cover system works, and the gunplay's just right. I think they took out the realism in terms of the reload mechanic, though - if you reload with a non-empty clip still in a gun, I don't think you lose any of the remaining ammo in the old clip. That's a shame.

Also, apart from that uncanny valley syndrome, it looks good. Really good.

I'm probably giving this one a purchase as soon as possible. They just got to iron out those bugs I mentioned on top.

The best part is the soundtrack. Going on a rampage in a bus while listening to Rock Around the Clock is awesome fun.

The second best part is that the collectable items are pictures of naked ladies.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast