TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Mafia 2 Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    I'm not too sure if I like the regenerating health mechanic. It just doesn't fit in; to be fair, neither does a health counter, but it just seems too easy now. Granted, this is possibly a very early mission in the scheme of things.
    The full game may include difficulty settings, and also this demo level could be intentionally made easy.

If a demo isn't demonstrative of what you'll get in the retail version, then it's a pretty pointless exercise.

Personally, I credit developers and publishers with enough intelligence to make a demo that is representative of the final code. I'm fully aware that this attribution is not warranted in all cases, but that's their problem as far as I'm concerned. Bad demo == bad product.

Not that I've played this one; I'm just advising against making any assumptions that things you dislike about the demo are likely to be different in the retail release.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 11th Aug 2010 at 06:46.

the reloading, the "carry 4 guns and ammo for ages", health-regen and objectifying sex trophy hunt for pimpled-faced kids straight out of puberty all work AGAINST the original Mafia's atmosphere of a real world with real problems and real danger. Going into a firefight in M1 was exhilarating and tense. Taking a shotgun meant no way to hide it from the police. In that demo I played the whole mission without guns by just punching guys in the face, its THAT easy. who needs a gun when you can soak up 3 shots and then kick the living daylights out of the guy. Niko Bellic greets you and shoves a hotdog up your arse. I PRAY for difficulty settings and a NO crosshair or "smaller crosshair than 80% of screen" feature.

having said that I still assume M2 will be a very good game, even excellent if they can keep up or excell the quality in that slice in terms of story/characters/setpieces but in terms of "feel" and "impact" it's a much lesser title and I blame - dare I say it - the fkn "we need to sell a game to EVERYBODY AND THEIR MOM" and "dying is no fun" shit philosophy. or it's consoles - either way it's a loss for me but not big enough to not be there on release day, stroking my hat and hiding my gun collection in my magic coat.

Quote Originally Posted by mothra View Post
    but in terms of "feel" and "impact" it's a much lesser title
    How can you judge it without experiencing the story? Start Mafia 1 in free mode and you'll also say it's much lesser than story mode.

I agree the auto-healing is bad, let's hope there will be difficulty settings that will allow to make the game really hard.

I played one mission. When I entered the distillery I had M1 in mind. I was roleplaying, trying to be Vito and doing the job but not getting killed, no charging in. Well, I made a mistake, I got shot 3 times, my screen turned a little red. Then I saw that my ammo never runs out and the reload doesnt waste bullets. then I ran out to the street with my shotgun and found out that I can hide the whole shotgun in my summer-shirt. When I replayed the mission I started punching the enemies in the face because the "impact" and "feel" of the old M1 was gone and I knew: you can dick around. When I killed someone on the streets it took 3 cops to kill me instead of one cop and one shot. That's how I do it. I play the game, I have a reaction, I make my assumptions and then I base my "buy decision" on that. That's what demos are for. And what that demo showed me is the promise of an good, easy and forgiving game with an menue that screams console in its lack of configuration and the biggest shit targeting reticule since ...... the original mafia. Why keep that ?

well, I still played it for 2 hours yesterday. bummer about the arcade shooting.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Well I'm loving the combat and I don't think it's too easy. I died twice on that mission. The world isn't as open as I'd hoped though, there are a lot of invisible walls. In some places you can park a car next to a wall, jump up on the car and then jump and pull yourself up over the ledge, but in other places you cant, even though the ledge isn't too high up. Not that there is anything up on the rooftops but I would still like to get there! :|

Here is a gameplay video I made, mostly of the driving but it also has the mission.

Chakat sex pillow
    Nice! What's with the random suicide jump off the building tho'?

You playing 360 or PC, henke? That controller's bound to make headshots and aiming a little more difficult. It's surgically accurate on the PC with a mouse and keyboard, which is part of what robs the impact from the firefights.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I was just checking to see whether I would survive that fall.

I'm playing on PC with a 360 controller. Yeah it does make aiming a bit harder, but driving and just moving around is a lot smoother with it. Anyway, there is a bit of auto-aiming when you use a controller, the reticule autosnaps to a target if you're looking in it's general direction when you push the aiming-button.

more fooling around with the unlocked demo: made a nice stack of cars and watched the hillarity ensue. Climbed a building and played Lee Harvey Oswald with the Police....no helicopters, thank god.
    replayed french connection under the bridge, only I was chased by the police, not the other way around.

please let there be option - please let there be options - please let there be options ... or at least some way to at least mod the HUD and difficulty

This game runs surprisingly well on my PC. So well in fact that it doesn't make any sense. I mean it looks gorgeous and it runs like a game from 5 years ago on max settings. I guess it is possible to optimize games on PC after all, who would have thought that. Or maybe it's because I just installed windows 7. Whatever the reason I wish it could happen more often.

Anyway the game itself seems pretty good.

Something awesome I did in the demo : Enter a weapon shop, buy a shotgun, shoot the shop owner with said shotgun (terminator style), rob the place of all ammos and weapons available, steal the money in the cash register, then proceed to call your contact in the police using the shop's phone to bribe him and get the cops off your back, get out of there free as a bird with a few thousand dollars in your pocket and a new arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Manwe View Post
    This game runs surprisingly well on my PC. So well in fact that it doesn't make any sense. I mean it looks gorgeous and it runs like a game from 5 years ago on max settings. I guess it is possible to optimize games on PC after all, who would have thought that. Or maybe it's because I just installed windows 7. Whatever the reason I wish it could happen more often.
    This interests me, considering my PC is 5 years old. What are your specs?

El Shagmeister

It slows down considerably in some parts of the demo, but nothing unplayable at medium range settings.

I had fun regardless

One of the things I like about the first game is when you press Tab to look at the map, the map overlays the game. That is, you can still drive and just tap to view where you are.

This seems to be missing in the demo. Press tab brings up the map and the game pause ala GTA 4 style.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    This interests me, considering my PC is 5 years old. What are your specs?
    Core 2 duo 6400 2.13 ghz with a geforce 8800 gt, and 2 gigs of ram. The best thing to do is to try the demo yourself.

Personally I thought the trailers did a way better job of "selling me" on the game than the demo. I just felt like something was really lacking - I also think there had to have been a dozen better missions for a demo, this one wasn't very exciting at all.

I agree that hopefully the real game is harder. I went to the gun shop, bought the revolver and headed down the street to the clothing store. I shot the first cop I saw, ducked inside, and then proceeded to kill every single person who walked by. I got a "Wanted" tag, and I was occasionally being assaulted by groups of cops with automatic weapons - but since none of them could see me covering behind the counter, or even bothered to look for me... all I had to do is wait for them to walk inside the shop, stare blankly at the wall, then turn and walk out, and that's when I'd pop them in the back of the head with my revolver.

Sometimes, multiple cops would come at the same time, so while I killed the dumb ox who waltzed inside, the others would see and take cover behind a police car parked outside. They are a terrible aim, so killing them is as easy as right click-left click headshot when they come out of cover, over and over and over. I seriously killed 5 dozen cops without ever losing health, and without them ever trying a different tactic.

The best part? After I killed the last wave and was bored, I just walked over to the clothing rack, changed my shirt, and the wanted tag went away. Just walked right out of the store and went on my way like it never happened.

I think Mafia 1 went a little too far with the ability to be randomly 1-shot by some nobody that gets a lucky head shot, but this is definitely also too far in the other direction. There was never any sense of danger when all I have to do is cover behind a counter and I become the new god of Empire Bay.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Well the reviews have started pouring in. Gamespot gives it a 8.5, IGN gives it a 7, and Eurogamer slams it with a 4. I think I'll wait until the price drops before picking up this one. Not that I was going to buy it on day 1 anyway.

Have any TTLGers played it yet? Are there any sidequests? Or are there any other reasons to explore the city when not doing a mission?

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Eurogamer slams it with a 4.
    I find it pretty hard to take Eurogamer seriously anymore, it's like they were just desperately trying to seek attention by slating and giving bad reviews for some "high-profile" games. It's funny how they blame Mafia II for a lot of things that sucked in GTA 4 as well (for example the checkpoints), yet GTA 4 gets 10/10 from them and Mafia II gets 4/10... Something tells me that Eurogamer may be a bit biased.

Then again, they also gave the first Mafia game only 4/10 and it turned out to be one of my favourite games ever. Reading that review, now that I've finished Mafia a few times, shows that Eurogamer were talking out of their arse there, so I'm just going to ignore their review of Mafia II as well and buy the game.

Well the reviews have started pouring in. Gamespot gives it a 8.5, IGN gives it a 7, and Eurogamer slams it with a 4. I think I'll wait until the price drops before picking up this one. Not that I was going to buy it on day 1 anyway.

Have any TTLGers played it yet? Are there any sidequests? Or are there any other reasons to explore the city when not doing a mission?
    I'll be picking up the CE PC on Thursday afternoon when it comes out

crack out since 22nd........release in EU later than US....guess what all the europeans are doing right now....

Everything I heard says it has no sidemissions and zero reason to explore the city.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Just like the first one then. Oh well as long as it has a decent main storyline and good missions it'll still be worth getting on the cheap.

Just like the first one then. Oh well as long as it has a decent main storyline and good missions it'll still be worth getting on the cheap.
    Yup. That's about what it is.

i like the story sofar. the shit gameplay is a little less shit but still typical 3rd person console cover shootie. started on hard and died only once yet and made it past act 1. what they got right is the atmosphere, detail, soundtrack, voiceovers and animations, just like in M1 and that's enough for me. I see it as a big tpp adventure game rather than a shooter or driving game. Actually, I never liked the driving in M1 either besides the nailbiting race and explosive delivery mission. The missions now seem smaller, I hope for a later epic misssion like the dock/trainyard in M1. Not sorry for full price.

Eurogamer's review is upsetting.

It's the ultimate example of a game designed to look nice in television commercials and achieve nothing else.
    It's a 14-year-old's vision of the mafia, although that slanders the many 14-year-olds who would see through this game's desperation to appear adult.
    Mafia II puts up such a convincing facade that it's hard to believe Empire Bay is, in fact, practically empty

yeah, the sidekick IS stupid. but not stupid enough. it's a lesser game because of the decisions they made: no clip lost, no one-shot kills, sidekicks are invincible, changing clothes/cars is boring, unlimited inventory, there was already a "collect stuff in 30minutes" GTA clone mission and the main character's motivation for being an asshole is not clear but the setpieces/vignettes mock the movies I like so I am very entertained.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast