TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mafia 2 Impressions

Clearinghouse

Mafia 2 Impressions

many thanks !!!!!

well, they updated the obvious things compared to the old game (cover and aiming system, mellee, destructible environments and streaming), I just hope the story holds up to the old one. The part about the police was interesting, I think it's nice that they stop chasing you for a traffic violation after some time but mostly that leads to you bumping into another cop car along the way and the whole thing starts over again. We'll see how smart they are. And faster cars .... I don't know, I liked Mafia for it's slow cars so the transition to the sports cars or the race car was much more memorable in terms of speed and handling. No word about the HUD though. And although Mafia1 had an "open" world, the story was much more focused, giving you a linear set of missions to tell a STORY, and a good one it was, giving you a nice set of different missions and characters to interact with. If they can mix it up a little with missions to choose from or ways to achieve them, it could be an improvement but also source for frustration - but again, nothing mentioned here. Well, it all sounds like a true sequel to the old one and that keeps me very interested !

looking forward to it very much
    Last edited by mothra; 17th Apr 2009 at 04:00.

Clearinghouse
    Original was great. Hope this one follows the same path.
    Also new video Mafia 2 GAMEPLAY.

Cheers for the links, guys. One of the very, very few games I'm genuinely excited for and can't wait to play.

Is it still set in Lost Haven?

No, it's a new city called Empire City, twice the size of Lost Haven.

Yeah, I heard about the size, I just wasn't sure if it was the same city. Thanks a bunch David. I figured you and ST would be watching this one!

Like a hawk!

New screens: http://games.tiscali.cz/clanek/screen.asp?id=12318

As someone who's played the original religiously - very unimpressed with the driving. Physics seem non-existent.

The first Mafia is possibly the best game that I've ever played, it's definitely on my Top Five list, so I'm really looking forward to this as well.

I actually loved driving in Mafia (ok, the first cars were a bit too slow) so I hope they haven't changed it too much. In fact I hope that they keep the driving somewhat realistic. I hope that there'll be some little side quests too or some additional content, the story in Mafia was a bit too linear so you couldn't find anything new after you had finished it once. That, and the stupid "boss fight" at the end, were just about the only bad things about the game.

Still, it's one of the few games that I've played through more than once, in fact three times. And I'll probably give it one more go before Mafia II comes out... I'm gonna have to upgrade my computer anyway, so I'll have lots of time.

I wonder if it's going to run on Windows XP, does anyone know?

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/18/fi...nplay-cursing/

Here's another video, enjoy!

I really, really enjoyed the first game. Definitely on my replay list.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    I wonder if it's going to run on Windows XP, does anyone know?
    They'd be incredibly stupid not to, considering that XP install base dwarfs that of Vista. 360 is likely the primary platform and I very much doubt that there'd be PC exclusive graphical enhancements options that take advantage of the better/newer hardware on offer (I.e. DirectX 10 effects like god rays and SSAO).

RockPaperShotgun has another Mafia2 writeup and it sounds mighty impressive. they still keep the story tightly under wraps - which is good, i don't wanna be spoiled - but on the other hand is the most important thing about the mafia series for me. mafia 1 had good cinematics, dialogue and story. the carhandling and way the shootouts played was always less important to me. here they only showed graphics and gameplay which seems to be the only seller nowadays but they promised great things for story and voiceacting. so, still on the right track if you can believe them. Mafia2 is THE most eagerly awaited game for me.
    (and they said that there WILL be enhancements made for each platform, no "targetplatform" developement where you get the ugliest of all worlds, so I imagine there WILL be DX10 enhancements)
    Last edited by mothra; 20th Apr 2009 at 07:13.

Link is always handy.

Pertinent quote that made me smile.

...The team proudly explain its linear nature. This is about telling one powerful story.

yeah, but i don't wanna do all the work, so your fingers stay trained

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009...view-mafia-ii/
    sounds even more awesome. I just reinstalled the old mafia. nothing beats that game. the car race is still insane, i can't believe I finished it back then without the difficulty patched and with damage on. i remember taking turns with my friend for 6 hours. but when we finished it we CELEBRATED !!!! hurray, we can progress and see more of this amazing story. I hope mafia2 will have the same highs and lows and push you to the end in an endless stream of twist and turns and human emotions. I was so proud when I got my girlfriend back home in one piece or crashed that rival mob car into a tree and riddled their bodies with dozens of bullets from my machine gun. it actually had me stop ZenoClash for a short time

I think I'm going to have to get my hands on the first game. I never knew it was so well loved but it's a shame I already know the ending. That must have been one hell of a punch!

Chakat sex pillow
    It was, especially when one of my friends told me that "this Mafia game is awesome" and immediately proceeded to play the very last mission before my eyes to prove it. :sigh:

So anyway, seven years later I'm pretty intrigued seeing how the sequel's developing. I'm so intrigued that I've decided to finally play the original game, and I'm very impressed. It does quite a few irritating things in the name of authenticity, but the story it tells is wonderfully compelling.

Hopefully when the sequel rolls around, I won't have had the ending completely ruined again to put me off playing the game for another 7 years.

i wouldn't mind knowing the ending, i can remember that the whole game, the ups and downs were the thing it shined. the ending was just the cherry on top and in retrospect the only thing they could have done if they wanted to stay true to the game. And they did. And that's why I think it's one of the best and I can truly recommend it and that's why I kept coming back to it.

My first experience was the day the PS2 version released. Ugh. Had like a 30 second loading time when you went over the main bridges. Horrible textures, and the car controls (driving and shooting) were near impossible. But there was a feel to it, and a great story.

I quickly bought the PC version (I had never heard of it before). What a cool game. Starts slowly, but when it hits the '30s it just gets incredible. Poor Tommy

I remember spending long frustrated hours trying to complete that race, thank god for the patch when I replayed it a year or so ago. It held up, mostly, but christ some of the voice acting and cutscenes early on are as hammy as porky pig. Still a fucking fantastic game though and what I love about it is the freeform world without the stupid freeform gameplay, I love that I have a rigid set of tasks to accomplish in the gameworld and in between I can do some general havoc-wreaking etc but otherwise it's story, story, story.

Accelerate and brake in straight lines only, and "coast" around corners at speed.

There's no reason to not win the race by a large margin (lap nearly everyone) on your second/third attempt.

Clearinghouse

I've waited this long, I can wait a little longer.

Doesn't bother me at all, in fact I think this is good news. They now have more time to polish and tweak the game and make it even better. I'll have to upgrade my computer anyway before I can even dream of playing any modern games.

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast