TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Fallout game by Obsidian?

Taking a break
    And people say I'm a dick.

I'm in a playthrough of FO1 right now, and other than the awesomeness of major aspects of the game being time sensitive, I don't really find it to be better or worse than FO3. I can't compare it to FO2, but I think Bethesda really nailed the spirit of the original.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zygoptera
    I just don't like Gamebryo much- F3 does have rather nice art direction but the engine itself has some fairly significant and obvious flaws.
    I'm not a huge fan either. But despite some of the annoying little pimples and pockmarks that pop up here and there, it does ultimately put out a fairly pretty picture, and can do some spacious landscapes. It isn't too half bad, all things considered.

I think Obsidian is gonna do some great things with it. When you think about it, the Black Isle folks have always sucked when it comes to rerigging engines for their games. Look at Vampire Bloodlines for a good example. The art was great, the story was nifty, and the gameplay was about a damn kick in the pants. But the goofy crap they did with Source almost brought the whole thing down. And then there's NWN2...oh god. I still can't get that game to run halfway decently.

Now they're set up and have an engine ready to roll before they've even started, and have all the time in the world to do what they do best. Because of that, I think the new Fallout is gonna shine.

I missed TTLG. Went for a one week holiday and was just wondering where all the bile in my life had gone. It's good to come back to all those things you love.

That said, this is excellent news and I have half a mind to go masturbate to it. Obsidian have so far given story-telling a fair go, and with an open world like F3's, things could get very interesting. It remains to be seen if they manage to keep it quite as open.

Quote Originally Posted by Zygoptera View Post
    I just don't like Gamebryo much- F3 does have rather nice art direction but the engine itself has some fairly significant and obvious flaws.
    Here's to hoping Obsidian find some way to polish up the game's controls. For a title that fancies itself part action, I sometimes feel I could achieve similarly accurate results by banging my penis against the keyboard while reading CommChat on the laptop.

10 note
    Isn't that how you're supposed to play xbox?

Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    And people say I'm a dick.
    LMFAO

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    As I understand it they have the rights to the name and setting but may not have the rights to use the D&D ruleset itself any more, hence the Dark Alliance series being spun off from it.
    I presume you mean IPLY? They haven't had the rights to even Dark Alliance for half a year, it was part of their settlement with Atari/ WOTC, and Icewind Dale's TM got registered by Atari roughly a year ago. Bioware's trademarks of Baldur's Gate got transferred to WOTC in January. The only company that can make D&D computer games are Atari.

Well, probably, remembering the mess that was who owned Pool of Radiance.

Obsidian don't own the rights to anything, they even had to pimp Alpha Protocol to Sega. Funnily enough though, Feargus U himself (or perhaps Obsidian as a whole) bought up all the concept art etc from the original Fallouts just after Obsidian was established.

Quote Originally Posted by AxTng1
    Hello I am a woman in the future you must walk around this bit and collect four things and then bring them back to me then we can go someplace else and get four more things and then I will betray you hard and then you get four more things and then we fight and you persuade me to become good again and then I die tragically and you kill the boss.
    Poor old Obsidian, always being mistaken for Bioware.

Fair enough. Damn factual accuracy getting in the way of cheap shots. Now if BioWare were coding and Obsidian were doing the story... Beth could texture. Maybe get id to help with the engine and get Epic to do the marketing. Playtesting and publishing by Valve.

oh fine it can be 2d and turn based and need windows 95 OSR2 are you all happy now?

Taking a break
    Yes!

Also, if you read the Codex thread about it you might notice there's quite a few Obsidian devs giving some more info.

You might also notice that Codex is the incarnation of Malal and not Khorne like you probably thought.
    Last edited by Koki; 22nd Apr 2009 at 03:23.

BR796164
    Since when Obsidian has license for Fallout? I don't follow, somebody please explain it to me like to a 12 years old.

is Best Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by Zygoptera View Post
    I presume you mean IPLY? They haven't had the rights to even Dark Alliance for half a year, it was part of their settlement with Atari/ WOTC, and Icewind Dale's TM got registered by Atari roughly a year ago. Bioware's trademarks of Baldur's Gate got transferred to WOTC in January. The only company that can make D&D computer games are Atari.

Well, probably, remembering the mess that was who owned Pool of Radiance.
    I am a year or so behind in my understanding, then - thanks.

But please don't ever mention Ruins of Myth Drannor again, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Keeper View Post
    Since when Obsidian has license for Fallout? I don't follow, somebody please explain it to me like to a 12 years old.
    Bethesda own the rights. They're outsourcing the engine/license to Obsidian to make a new non-sequel (i.e. Fallout New Vegas) while they work on the next DLC and Fallout 4, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by AxTng1 View Post
    Beth could texture.
    Ugh... Please no.

BR796164
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    Bethesda own the rights. They're outsourcing the engine/license to Obsidian to make a new non-sequel (i.e. Fallout New Vegas) while they work on the next DLC and Fallout 4, apparently.
    And with IPLY supposedly making the MMORPG, the Fallout franchise suddenly branches to confusing heights. Well at least everyone can pick up his preferred post-apo adventure.

I dunno, I don't see a reason why Avellone and Co couldn't continue doing the west coast-centered Fallout games while Bethesda continued making games that focused on the east coast.

What would really be amazing though, is if someone would make a Fallout game that started a new story thread outside of the USA/Canada/China. There is a ton of untapped material waiting to be written in South America/Australia/Europe/Africa/Asia/etc. In fact, there's no reason those games couldn't have an entirely new backstory and entirely different technology and factions to the NA fallouts.

Edit: Totally random Fallout setting idea - How about a game centered around a cargo cult in an area that likely wouldn't have been hit by bombs in an a 50's post-apoc scenario, like the Amazon or some place. The Brotherhood finds out that the US government had a small, secret base in some remote jungle in South America where they were airlifting supplies in advance of the war breaking out, and you're tasked with going down, locating the base, and recovering technology from the indigenous people who have set up a religion around a nuka cola bottle that fell from the sky. A little Fallout, a little Far Cry, a little The Gods Must Be Crazy.
    Last edited by Jason Moyer; 22nd Apr 2009 at 12:47.

The Architect
    And then there's the Fallout movie/series... http://movies.ign.com/articles/974/974264p1.html

Taking a break
    What would really be amazing though, is if someone would make a Fallout game that started a new story thread outside of the USA/Canada/China.
    There was a polish project like this, Burżuazja - then renamed Afterfall. They even secured a publisher and became real developement studio or something, but it's stil vaporware.

Re original post: day one purchase

Taking a break
    STALKER with brown haze? nothx

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

There was a polish project like this, Burżuazja - then renamed Afterfall. They even secured a publisher and became real developement studio or something, but it's stil vaporware.
    Google brings up this press release. Both links at the end of the page are dead, look like it will remain vapourware.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Keeper View Post
    And with IPLY supposedly making the MMORPG
    Not anymore.

STALKER with brown haze? nothx
    Yeah, I can see that now. I guess I was a bit over-excited about the prospects of someone doing a non-SCIENCE! post-apoc game with proper nuclear winter type atmosphere. Or at least, that's what I took from that short clip. I guess it could have just been Fallout/Stalker with horrible brown dust everywhere.

o_O
    Nomen est omen and all that shit..
    See?
    Rainbow Six: Vegas
    Fallout: New Vegas
    ??
    Crap is about to hit the fan(s).

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by MorbusG View Post
    o_O
    Nomen est omen and all that shit..
    See?
    Rainbow Six: Vegas
    Fallout: New Vegas
    ??
    Crap is about to hit the fan(s).
    Quit huffing paint, Nostradamus try hard.

Fallout 3 had already been designed for consoles from day one, FO: NV is just a stand-alone expansion pack.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast