TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: T2 FM: Thief II - The Golden Project - First City College (8-VII-09)

I remember Thief 2X had a similar reception, because a lot of people expected to see a Looking Glass style game, thought it was stressed it's not an official expansion. I probably was because of the name of the project - "Thief2x"

Same goes here.

Yet, First City College was based on the unfinished T2Museum. But have you tried to open T2Museum in DromED? It's just a huge empty box that barely resembles a building - no textures, no furniture, no AIs, no stairways... Nothing! (Probably except the corridors which had some textures, but that's all).

I could have easily changed only textures and add furniture. But that's not enough. The mission would have looked very unrealistic. I had to make a lot of modifications so it could look like an actual building.

There's one big difference between me and LGS. It's that I don't get paid for that. It's because I have a life to live and it's a little more important than a Thief II Gold based FM. But I can assure you that I created the FM with passion and love, thought not professionally.

I don't think anybody's trying to criticise the mission or argue, just curious as to why you based the mission on one of the T2Gold missions when it has changed so much you may as well have started from scratch?

It's like, say you took Life of the Party, deleted 90% of the brushes and just left the bell-tower you start in, retextured it to look ruined, and then built a haunted castle around it. In that example, why use LotP as a base?

Please don't think I'm trying to criticise the mission - I know better than anyone how much work is needed to turn that museum into a playable building. My half-finished efforts are testament to that.

A good question!

Firstly, because of the experience. We have seen many FMs based on OMs and I was curious how to do that. I have tried to convert my own T1 FMs into T2 FMs (as well of converting part of Undercover to T2, thought I never released the result).

Secondly, because T2Museum was a good base. You analogy with the clock tower is incorrect IMO. When I saw the unfinished T2Museum I already had a vision what to do with it (thought I did a mistake and turned it into school). I said to myself - Aha, the front airbrush will be the foyer. This one in the middle - a library. There will be several classrooms next to the library.

And thirdly, because of the PR.

You can still finish the Museum mission. I'd like to take a look of it and see the differences when it's finished.

Thanks for the mission, I enjoyed it It's always fun to play an undercover FM, it's a nice change of pace from everyone wanting to kill me. I'm not really sure what the fuss is about, either just enjoy the FM or go do something else if you have qualms about it.

I think a few people in the community are suffering from stick-in-the-mud syndrome and need to relax. That'd be my guess.

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010
    Yeah, It's better to: " Chill!, Baby Chill!" Is the water to muddy?

The mission has been reported here:

http://darkfate.ru/

There's a very good description in Russian, plus new download sites. Special thanks to the Russian kru!

Quote Originally Posted by Thor02 View Post
    Uh, oh, uh... um... uh.... *hides in the shadows, gets on some rafters and slowly sneaks away*
    You'd better

Gloria Creep
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

http://www.thiefmissions.com/info.cg...rstCityCollege

A lootlist by PotatoGuy had been added on the site.

Clearinghouse
    Хорошая работа, B_T Thanks!

Спасибо, clearing

I agree! Good Job!

I thought it was pretty good.

One question though - what's the frobbable thing (mould?) in front of the smelter for? When I click on it, it acts as though I need a key, or at least some type of object to activate it, but I never found anything to use there.

This is just a mold plate. By default the player would place a mold on it, and then commence to pour liquid metal in it. I dont think it serves as anything except just for show.

Yes... just for show... But I do have a mission in the past (for Thief 1) where the player has to made a key with a mold.

Enjoyable enough a mission, but in terms of the architecture everything felt a little too big - a common affliction on a lot of fan done levels. As already mentioned the monstrous single occupancy dorms were a far cry from what one would expect (where most dorms usually have just enough room for a table, dresser and twin size bed per person), but every room was at least twice the size I'd expect given it's purpose - hell, two of those dorm rooms stacked atop each-other would measure about the same size as my entire house! All that unused floor space also makes the lack of stuff in the rooms all the more apparent. (the gallery comes to mind)

I'd consider shrinking the size of every room in the level 50%... just something to keep in mind for your next FM.

Oh, believe me, I really thought about creating an even bigger mission - for example I dream of making a huge mansion with a lot of place to explore, plus a lot of secrets. I didn't know there are people complaining about that...

But I admit, sometimes I also get bored when I see a huge and empty space.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulgarian_Taffer View Post
    Oh, believe me, I really thought about creating an even bigger mission - for example I dream of making a huge mansion with a lot of place to explore, plus a lot of secrets. I didn't know there are people complaining about that...
    The size in terms of physical space itself wasn't bad. I love large levels - the problem was more a matter of filling it with something.

But I admit, sometimes I also get bored when I see a huge and empty space.
    Which was the point. If upstairs you had put in two or three times as many dorm rooms, and downstairs doubled the number of classrooms in the same amount of space, the subject probably wouldn't have come up.

A Night In Rocksburg is a great example of this, the first two levels FEEL really huge, when in fact the overall maps of both are quite small (ANIR 1 is actually smaller than the southquarter hub in TDS). Lots of turns, twists and very little wide-open empty space can make small levels feel large - while giant empty rooms can make large levels feel, well, incomplete.

This is what some of the original missions also have?

For example, I felt "Shipping ... and Receiving" as a dull, huge, empty box.

It was fine for an early mission, but could use more work on the skills of decorating and making things more intricate. However, I understand it also takes a lot of time, but it's well worth the effort. But it was a fun and functional mission, fun to play, nothing spectacular, just a fun small mission. It did seem to end too soon but oh well.

I should wait some of the official reviews of the mission where everything should be summed up - what you liked, what you didn't like, did you get what you expected or so.. Reviewers - SneakyJack, The Mike, all the others - it's up to you now

I agree, a good job. (I can't know what those funny letters mean, can I?) lol

Quote Originally Posted by clearing View Post
    Хорошая работа, B_T Thanks!

Хорошая работа means "good job" in Russian

Yep I know... I can read/write/speak it a little.

Хорошая работа means "good job" in Russian

This is what some of the original missions also have?

For example, I felt "Shipping ... and Receiving" as a dull, huge, empty box.
    Shipping ... and Receiving was a warehouse district in the docks. It was supposed to be a huge empty box.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolknaz View Post
    Shipping ... and Receiving was a warehouse district in the docks. It was supposed to be a huge empty box.
    Yes, but if SaR is empty, then about 3/4 of the FMs may be considered empty too. Architecturally, it looks perfectly like a dock area, it has right proportions, right space, right buildings, right atmosphere and there is a lot of interesting side-stories and details in there.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast