TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: T2 FM: Thief II - The Golden Project - First City College (8-VII-09)

Quote Originally Posted by 242 View Post
    Architecturally, it looks perfectly like a dock area, it has right proportions, right space, right buildings, right atmosphere
    That is kind of what i was saying to Bulgarian_Taffer

Probably yes, but it doesn't change the fact it's my least favourite mission in Thief 2

... along with Soulforge (which is also huge and empty)

Congrats on doing all this from scratch in 4 months and trying to keep faithful to the original series.

I would have liked to have seen a 'RETURN BACK TO THE START' objective so I could have explored more - as soon as I met the loot total then the game ended.

More light switches in the rooms.

Down the sides of the College, the sound of the students coughing was bleeding through the walls.

Not very many doors were locked.

Apart from that well done ! You had the nads to carry on with the project all alone and you refused to let it die.

Glad you liked it

I'll first write the positive things:

I liked the fact how the place really felt as a former museum, not like a college.

I also appreciated that the guards and AI turned in their routes rather than suddenly facing a different direction.

The board with the functions was a nice touch, too.

Negative things:

I thought that there was something hidden nigh the guard at the campfire thing (or was there, and I just didn't find it?)

Why don't students and teachers react to me? Also, one of the classrooms was locked, which seems pretty silly to me.

I would have liked to see more books, with more stuff in it.

More students, and more teachers, but! asleep. It's meant to be night, after all. You could have done a couple of dorms full of sleeping guys and "secret" late-night class with an eager teacher and his/hers most beloved pupils.

Alchemy, anyone?

Some of those little doors with the double wings, dunno if they have a name, had black lines appearing above them when closed.

Few, and illogically placed loot.

Illogically placed stuff: f'rinstance those boxes in one of the stairways. What was that?

Actually, not a bad mission, but I hope you spend some more time on it, improving it.

No. This will be a final version. And this will be the last mission of the Gold outtakes I'm working on.

That's final.

I'll be moving to a new project.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulgarian_Taffer View Post
    this will be the last mission of the Gold outtakes I'm working on.
    Really? That's too bad. I was looking forward to seeing more of your work on them.

No. Obviously not everyone appreciates my efforts to work on these "sacred holy relics, released to the community several years ago" with my "dirty hands".

After what I saw - it's really not worth the effort

Quote Originally Posted by Bulgarian_Taffer View Post
    No. Obviously not everyone appreciates my efforts to work on these "sacred holy relics, released to the community several years ago" with my "dirty hands".

After what I saw - it's really not worth the effort
    Oh, come on. It's really not like that. Some were probably expecting a miracle out of it, sure. And it looks like it was somewhat rushed too. So basically there's no need to rush. I'm sure your hands are clean enough to touch these holy relics.

I guess some taffers just built up their expectations to the point where all things must fall short. I'm sincerely sorry that they got to you.

Bulgarian_Taffer, we have a statement here that says: "De beste stuurlui staan aan wal" which means: they who think they can stear a boat better than the captain, allways are standing on the shore. This is the actual translation, but I know you know what I mean to say here.

So, I do hope you will make other missions for all of us, who are willing to sail with you to other beautifull sceneries you create.
    I'll be the first one to offer my help in testing the next one

Gloria Creep
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

I will be releasing other FMs, of course. But I don't think I'll ever work again on a big project like this.

Looks like big projects always gets bad receptions. Remember Thief 2X - it got a bad reception from some people on this same board:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97070

So why should I work on big projects? People will never appreciate it.

"If you risk nothing you gain nothing"
    Bear Grylls

Sometimes it's worth facing down the naysayers and doing what you want regardless of their opinions. Don't let them dictate what you can and cannot do, don't let them win.

Probably.

I found a very interesting review here:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpos...56&postcount=2

Looks like the author of the review succeeded in ghosting the level. There are positive and negative things mentioned.

Finished the mission, but 140 loot short. Any way into the area on the 1st floor at the front of the building with a big question mark on the map? Next to the observatory.

Uh? Can you be more specific? The observatory is on the second floor. Below the observatory with a question mark is the Mechanist office - just simply lockpick it.

Next to the observatory, not below it (I've been in to Hammer/Mechanist areas).

Next to the observatory there's no room. Search carefully for gold candlesticks there. We have only a bathroom and an observatory on this side of the building.

This is the full lootlist:

http://www.thiefmissions.com/lootlis...ityCollege.txt

First off, I didn't realize the mission was released! I've just downloaded it today.

Either brethren hasn't realized the counter points, or he's ashamed of himself to reply in this thread.... In any case, I just wanted to say after reading all the comments on here that there was a misunderstanding between FM players and B_T. While brethren had some good points, he came off as way too harsh, and was also corrected by B_T himself when he said that (in another thread I know) it had moved on from being a project about thief 2 gold. Now, if this extra tidbit of information had been non-existant, I can see how people would expect such a mission that resembled LGS' vision for T2GOld. However, considering that B_T did state that it was not to be a direct T2Gold mission, the criticisms here are hardly valid. But, I see that most people either ignored what B_T said from the original thread, or had missed the information... oops!

B_T, I'm sorry the negative feedback crushed your will to work on T2Gold stuff. I've started to learn, personally for myself, that I have to cool it when it comes to criticism and realize that it comes with the turf and to not take things too personal. I know that it's one thing to say something like "it sucked" and another to say "I liked the mission but..." - I don't have a problem with the latter, it's the former that has no place on these forums, and just makes me angry. Consider though, that brethren was the only one that said what he said in a rather harsh way, whereas everyone else explained themselves with positive and negative feedback... I see however that no amount of encouragement will help you anymore, as you've made your decision, but I felt I had to comment.

Note: I hope no one took offense from what I said above, I was only pointing out an observation based on this threads turn of events. I mean not to make trouble, if possible.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 11th Aug 2009 at 11:35. Reason: Tried to fix a sentence that was written poorly

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    Either brethren hasn't realized the counter points, or he's ashamed of himself to reply in this thread
    Not true - I stand by everything I said earlier in the thread, but there's just nothing further to say, so, I haven't. I think I stated my opinion quite clearly, and for the record, it was nowhere near the neighborhood of just saying "that sucked." I don't know where that comes from at all, in fact, I went out of my way to state that I wasn't criticizing the quality of the mission in the least, just the intentions of the project.

*I understand where you were coming from brethren, but your post was still unjustified. If you now know that it wasn't intended to be a pick up of the thief 2 gold assets and creation of a thief 2 gold mission, then you should understand. Doesn't matter what was intended with the assets, he wasn't going for a thief 2 gold mission. Would be a different story if it had been.

Quote Originally Posted by brethren
    I stated my opinion quite clearly, and for the record, it was nowhere near the neighborhood of just saying "that sucked."
    I know that, I wasn't trying to imply that you said "it sucked" since that was never written. I worded that sentence poorly... I was talking about in general, and not necessarily someone writing "it sucked" literally. I need to go edit my post. I kind of went off on a tangent talking about something I've seen on the internet that's not exactly related to this particular thread.

I think nicked (and you) had a great point, but B_T came back with his reasoning for why he did what he did.

Note: In following the original thread, I have to admit I was disappointed that B_T was changing the focus of the mission, but then I thought, hey you know what, it's his choice to make and we should just be thankful he's building something out of an abandoned mission. However, that doesn't stop me or others from wanting the Thief 2 Gold levels to be completed based on LGS' visions.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 11th Aug 2009 at 11:47.

Like it or not, criticism (constructive or otherwise) is always a part of modding. Granted, thief FM community has always been somewhat gentler, than say Morrowinds, but there comes a point when people don't like a particular decision a modder makes. Should they be not allowed to voice their opinion?

Albert
    No, they should have stones thrown at them in the streets and robbed of all their clothes...

Nah, seriously: Criticism is the main thing people in the modding community need to keep a look out for. Some criticism may be unhelpful, but you never know...

Unlike the film industry...

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    Note: In following the original thread, I have to admit I was disappointed that B_T was changing the focus of the mission, but then I thought, hey you know what, it's his choice to make and we should just be thankful he's building something out of an abandoned mission. However, that doesn't stop me or others from wanting the Thief 2 Gold levels to be completed based on LGS' visions.
    I was out of the city and there are few new comments.

Of course nothing stops you (and the others) from wanting a Thief 2 Gold levels to be completed based on LGS visions. But nothing stops you (and the others) from actually building and finishing the project either. I'm amazed that the missions were released in 2006, yet nobody (except myself) actually worked on the missions.

This is hard to explain. Perhaps, we need to make a contest (something what Digi suggested). This is the only way that can speed the development.

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010

Anyone else for taking on future work on Gold?

I would be interested later, after I release "Dark is the Lair" and my other TG
    mission.
    Later on, if someone would point me to some descriptions of the original Gold synopsis. I have studied the LGS style for sometime modifying OM's and such

I would rather enjoy a project like this, but I would make no promises on a finish or release date.

edit: I am sure that it would be at least a Year before I could possibly before I could actually commit myself to these projects. Right now, Dromzilla has been defeated, but I am sure it will show it's teeth soon.

Again B_T, I thoroughly enjoyed Your work in the College edition. Dromed is a consumer of time and patience.
    Last edited by darthsLair; 14th Aug 2009 at 14:28.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast