TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

* Max Headroom
    All i remember is the darn head - my respective foreign language skills at the time were probably too shoddy to expect more. Has it aged well? Worth a watch?
    From my perspective, it's aged hilariously. It's an 80s vision of cyberpunk distopia. It's supposed to be a caricature, and it has a cult following. It's production value was pretty good for the time, at least.

Looking at your other reviews, I don't know what you'll think though. Contrary to the other guys' suggestion, you don't strike me as a cult watcher but someone just looking for good scifi/alt-fiction shows. I don't know if this passes or not. It had its share of cheese.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by zombe View Post
    Oww, :/ ... why?
    Your criteria for what constitutes a good TV show don't come out from that list, and 95% of what you've seen is apparently not worth the time, so that limits the potential to recommend... just about anything. Having said that, you should probably take a gander at True Detective since it's pretty short, and excellently made.

I'm mildly surprised that you've written off Farscape as childish crap, but I guess muppets do that to people, and the first season really was all over the place. It's anything but childish however - there's swearing, murder, eyeballs being pulled out of skulls, sex, and even rape. If the characters and setting don't gel with you though, there's very little reason to watch Farscape.

Yeah, True Detective skirts the line between police procedural and alt/weird. That's part of its charm.

Quote Originally Posted by zombe View Post
    Wait what? There is a series coming? Well, yes, please do - i currently have only one series i give a damn about right now.
    Sure is. Let me find you the link to the article I read about it. It was the entire reason that I eventually ended up watching the movie, since it inspired me to go watch the trailer for the movie etc.

And here you go. Enjoy .
    Last edited by icemann; 22nd May 2015 at 03:30.

I watched the first episode of True Detective today. Didn't find it anything special, and it didn't hold my attention - plus I can barely hear past the accents. I don't think I'll watch any more.

I finished Daredevil a while ago. I really liked it, and would definitely recommend. The show plays with your expectations of who the heroes and villains really are by presenting Fisk as a socially awkward and yet brutal giant, who feels incredibly misunderstood and is trying to be the good guy by keeping the bad guys in check, while Murdock, who believes himself to be doing the right thing, is also impeded by others' doubts about his intentions and his own morality. It helps that Charlie Cox and Vincent D'Onofrio put on stellar performances. The acting is really good all around. The dark-and-grittiness is also not over-the-top as in Man of Steel - there's a nice balance between the realistic side and the more absurd elements (Matt's exceptional senses). One complaint I have is with the episode with Stick: the Black Sky plot leads nowhere, although I hear Black Sky and Madame Gao are both just teases for Iron Fist.

Also, Person of Interest S4 and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S2 just completed. This wasn't the greatest season for POI, but it was still really good, and it gave us some great episodes - If-Then-Else and Terra Incognita, aka the stock exchange episode and the one with the Carter flashbacks. Root and Shaw got some great character development going, too. One thing I didn't like was that effectively the status quo has barely shifted between the beginning and the end of the season. What happens, really? Shaw is off the team, the Machine has reduced capabilities, and Martine is dead. Arguably, the journey was the whole point, but the final destination seems to be almost the same as the starting point. On an episode-to-episode basis, the show still remains awesome, but the season as a whole could've been a little better.

AoS, on the other hand, had an amazing run this season. It only got better, and the characters are definitely my favourite part of the show. Ward is a hundred times more interesting a character than he was in episode one. Skye ... well, now we've finally figured out why the show insisted she was so important back in S1, and now we're not just being told she's important, she actually is important. She's still not my favourite character, but she's grown. Fitz and Simmons have arguably changed the most drastically between seasons, and it makes sense. They both have more depth now, and I'm waiting to see how Simmons' final scene in the final episode changes things. In terms of new characters, Mack and Trip don't impress that much - Trip doesn't get enough time to shine so his death doesn't bother us that much, and Mack doesn't come into his own until the 'real S.H.I.E.L.D.' arc kicks in. Bobbi doesn't have much depth either, and I felt that she was more there to give Hunter some interesting scenes. Speaking of Hunter, his character is very fun to watch with his neverending quips and interesting history. On the villains side, the Inhumans had some great characters, while HYDRA didn't impress that much. Jiaying was a great and unexpected villain, and Kyle MacLachlan was easily the best villain of the show with Cal - except for that scene in the finale where he turned into Jim Carrey.

In short: everyone should watch Person of Interest. If you've got nothing to do, give AoS a watch too.

In the movies department:

Mad Max: Fury Road - I liked it. Don't see why everyone loves it so much, though. It was really good, but (imo) it was a really good action movie, and the kind of reviews it got were unprecedented. The action was intense though, and Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron were great. They might as well have called it Mad Max and Furiosa since she was more the main character than he was; Max himself felt very sidekick-y. Not saying it's a bad thing, but I would've liked to see a little more of Max.

Tomorrowland - Went in with low expectations and came out very pleasantly surprised. It has a very Disney look and feel, but it's also more adult. It's not a nostalgic, old-style Disney movie, it tries something new. The main cast owns the movie - although I was a little thrown off by the inclusion of Keegan-Michael Key. The only things I would complain about: the very obvious villain reveal (we already knew Nix was the bad guy, and all the reveal did was make him ... a badder guy?), and the heavy-handedness with which the moral message came. Recommended, especially to those who grew up with Disney movies.

Big Game - Again, I went in with low expectations and ended up liking it. Samuel L Jackson avoids being typecast as the usual badass by playing the rather useless President, while Onni Tomila plays an ambitious kid with too-high expectations for himself. The action is nicely paced and not overdone, and the dialogue avoids being too cheesy, but this movie shares one criticism in common with Tomorrowland: an obvious villain reveal. The VP being the bad guy has been done already. On the other hand, they subverted it very nicely with the reveal of his accomplice. Overall a fun watch.

Next up is Ex Machina ... Yes, I have too much time on my hands.

Chakat sex pillow
    McConnaughey's mumble is pretty annoying, I'll grant, but TD pays dividends the more you watch. I'd say don't give up on it just yet - it's quite well-developed and directed.

And speaking of well-directed, Hannibal turned out to be one of the more compelling shows I've watched lately. I fully expected it to be a run-of-the-mill case-of-the-week show with the villain front and centre, like an edgier take of Dexter. Boy was I wrong. It does frame itself as case-of-the-week at first, but it never tries to be episodic - every case links into the larger thematic thrust of the two main characters, developing a complicated interlocking long-form narrative about their relationship. As this show is named Hannibal, it's all about manipulation and who's playing whom. And superbly presented meals.

It may be too on-the-nose at times with its symbolism and characters explicitly referencing what they mean, but this is extremely well-written and well-directed TV, and also the most gorgeously lit and shot disturbing shit I've seen since Fincher did Se7en. I'd say come for the visuals, even if they're grotesque enough to make a lot of people blanch, and stay for the understated performances and compelling writing. This is what poetry in motion can look like, and it looks a lot like people dying.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 24th May 2015 at 13:10.

Last Friday I went to see the remake of "Poltergeist". Looked good in the trailer, but this is one of those movies where the trailer was better than the movie. Whilst the original movie isn't the greatest horror movie of all time, let alone a great movie, it still is quite good. Good enough for it to get 2 sequels IIRC. The remake on the other hand. Hmm. First half of the movie is good, but the other half is just stupid and not scary at all. 5/10.

Skip this one and watch the original.

Ex Machina - interesting, but I can't help but think this would have made a better book than a movie. One of Nietzsche's quotes about God came to mind in the end.

Predestination - threw me for a loop (harhar), but a not-bad one. I went into this one blind so by the time the movie was almost finished I was thinking "haven't I read this somewhere before?" Sure enough, it was based on Robert Heinlein's "All You Zombies" (no zombies included), with some contemporary elements (terrorism) thrown in. Even if you've read the short story, it's still a good watch.

The Equalizer - if Denzel Washington's character in Man on Fire had survived, this would be the sequel. Kind of goofy with all the power tool/home & garden kills, which I'm not sure was the intention, but it kept it entertaining.

The Babadook - I'm sort of in agreement that this might not be a horror film, but I didn't feel that little caveat degraded the experience. It's more about the horrors of wounds that are allowed to fester, and how the resulting sickness consumes more than just the infected.

Black Sea - I've never wanted to serve on a submarine and this movie amplified that sentiment by about 300%. Probably the best movie I've seen that's been released this year.

Watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Now I'm a firm lover of the original 5 movie series. That one has a very dark edge to it.

These new movies have had humans and apes more on equal footing where either could gain the upper hand at any stage. Though with the apes confined to one singular location and the humans being much diminished (90% gone by movie 2) but not confined to one location you'd think the humans would all band up and wipe them out but nope.

Anyways. A good movie. Good acting and story. 9/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    And speaking of well-directed, Hannibal turned out to be one of the more compelling shows I've watched lately. I fully expected it to be a run-of-the-mill case-of-the-week show with the villain front and centre, like an edgier take of Dexter. Boy was I wrong. It does frame itself as case-of-the-week at first, but it never tries to be episodic - every case links into the larger thematic thrust of the two main characters, developing a complicated interlocking long-form narrative about their relationship. As this show is named Hannibal, it's all about manipulation and who's playing whom. And superbly presented meals.
    Agreed. If you've watched only the first season, give yourself a week or so to breathe before you go into the second season. It builds very well on what's already come, there are some mind-bending plot twists, and one particular arc in S2 (the episode with the guy in the beast suit and the one immediately after) is really good. Just don't wait too long; you'll forget some important names.

Fury Road. It's by no means a cinematic masterpiece or anything, but it goddamn achieves what it set out to do - be a badass, BADASS post-apocalyptic action road movie. All that I asked, really.

Having seen Fury Road twice, and finding even better the second time around, I'm leaning pretty hard towards it being a stone cold masterpiece. Not only does it have truly spectacular action, but it uses the action to develop its world, the characters and their relationships and gives nearly everyone satisfying character arcs.

Just watched the 8th episode of Daredevil where you learn Fisk's childhood. Damn this show is getting good. I think he's the best villain I've seen in a movie/tvshow in a looong time. In the meantime, couldn't care much about Matt's story

They really managed to make the villain far more interesting and relatable than the hero.

Just finished Gracepoint, the American remake of Broadchurch. Having never seen the original, I can't say how it compares, but I quite liked this. It took its own sweet time to pick up steam: the first few episodes felt like a slog, but by the halfway point things were getting interesting, and in the last few episodes I was actually waiting to see how it turned out. Unfortunately, the Internet spoiled me on who the killer was, but I can say with confidence that I probably wouldn't have seen it coming if I didn't know. The finale was the best episode of all, but the build-up was amazing too. David Tennant did an alright job, despite the awful Batman voice and the weird accent. Everyone else was merely alright with a few exceptions. Jacki Weaver played the creepy, unsettling old woman to perfection - I also loved the irony of "How could you not know?" coming back to Detective Miller. The priest was played off excellently as a very suspicious character, and yet he turned out to be the only one without skeletons in his closet. Nick Nolte's kayak shop owner was by far my favourite character, mainly because of how genuinely tragic he seemed. My primary complaints were with the way some of the characters were treated: the whole Julianne thing never really had a point, and her brief appearance added nothing of value; the reporter from out of town was the second most pointless character since she didn't do much at all and she had no actual storyline; Miller's husband never really got enough character development to make me care when the time came for the big reveal.

I'm also watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and holy hell this show is funny. It's just one of those shows that shouldn't work on paper but comes together magnificently on screen. A large part of this is the actors' chemistry and just how funny they are. With a different cast, this would fall flat, but as it is, I really enjoy it. Great stuff.

verbose douchebag
    Watched Mad Max: Fury Road and would give it a solid 7/10. In terms of spectacle, it's a comfortable 8 pushing a 9, but the complete omission of storytelling and character development left me feeling quite indifferent to the characters. They missed a trick not making it a 3 hour-long film IMO. I get that they drip-fed the exposition and character profiles contextually, but it wasn't enough to make me give much of a fuck about who was killing who or why. VERY cool stylistically though.

Had the displeasure of watching 2 really bad movies recently:

* On Friday night I went to see "San Andreas" (not to be confused with the AWESOME GTA entry of the same name). Now this is another of those movies where the trailer is FAR better than the actual movie. In the trailer your led to believe that it's all about a helicopter rescue pilot who in the midst of an outbreak of earthquakes has to go into extremely bad situations and try and rescue as many people as possible.

What the actual movie consists of, is an EXTREMELY predictable movie of him basically going around trying to rescue his family. And that's it. 4/10. Not the worst movie I've ever seen, but it was really damn boring. Avoid this one like the plague.

* The second was "Punch Drunk Love". Now I am a HUGE Adam Sandler movie fan. But only of his older stuff up to 50 first dates. After that (with the exception of Blended which was overall quite good) his more recent entries were all fucking horrible. With this entry slotting in, within the period of good movies he'd done, and that I'd heard the movie had got a fair few awards I had gone in expecting a good movie. What I got instead was a really weird movie that made no sense, all the conversations were odd (yep every last one), and it's just really damn boring. Other than the last 30 minutes where it improves slightly. After this I can see why he stuck to doing comedy movies for the most part.

2/10. AVOID. It's horrible. For a serious non comedy Adam Sandler movie that's actually great, watch "Reign Over Me". That is worth watching.

Meh.

I finally caught Ex Machina. It was as good as I'd hoped it would be. It wasn't the perfect movie of its type, but it was modest and did what it wanted to do really well.

I like the minimalism of a movie with few characters, only 3 or so, whose MO's are perfectly tuned against each other, Sartre's No Exit style. A Simple Plan was like that, or Moon. This movie didn't go as far as it could with that idea (each duo triangulates the third character), & some things came a bit too forced, but it was still enough to drive the plot better than a "big" scifi epic.

Of course, as most of you know, I'm a big philosophy of mind & AI junkie, so all the mind-talk about consciousness and being human, etc, are right up my alley, although it was often simpler than the depth I like to get into (e.g., the guy botched Frank Jackson's "Mary the black-and-white neurophysiologist" argument), but it's easy to cut it slack since it probably wouldn't have worked dramatically to go any deeper than it did, and sometimes boiling things down to a few choice soundbites worked for it. I think I would have done the end a bit differently, but I was satisfied (or anyway not dissatisfied) with the way they took it & thought the final arrangement of things was appropriate.

On aesthetic grounds, the look of the movie, the music, the dialog, etc, were all very well done, and in keeping with the trend of stylish scifi movies that have been coming out over the last few years that I've been a fan of.

verbose douchebag
    Man I loved Punch Drunk Love.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Punch Drunk Love was great, but I can see why someone going into it expecting a regular Adam Sandler movie might be disappointed. Like Paul Thomas Anderson said, it's an art house Adam Sandler movie. It's got all the usual Adam Sandler movie tropes of him being an angry man-child who throws regular temper tantrums, and still somehow ends up getting the pretty girl by the end, but it's done in a really artful style. Adam Sandler acts his butt off in it, Emily Watson is great, Philip Seymour Hoffman is a very down to earth and believably psycho villain, and the whole thing just looks great. Yeah, I loved it too.

Watched the first 2 episodes of sense8. Ehhhh, all the characters are a bit too two dimensional, and the whole plot is just not that interesting. Don't think I'll keep on watching. Also watched The World's End, Fast & Furious 6, and Oblivion. All of which were... ok. Oh, and I rewatched The Transporter, the first one. I'd forgotten just how crazy that movie is. It's bonkers. And the soundtrack is teerrrrrrible.

Punch Drunk Love is an excellent movie. It also features Jon Brion's music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8ZNCQTFJvs

Very Beatles like. 3/4 time and funny chord changes. It tears me up immediately. Absolutely beautiful song. That link will take you to the short promotional that features "Here We Go" and scenes not shown. I think it is included in the DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Punch Drunk Love was great, but I can see why someone going into it expecting a regular Adam Sandler movie might be disappointed. Like Paul Thomas Anderson said, it's an art house Adam Sandler movie. It's got all the usual Adam Sandler movie tropes of him being an angry man-child who throws regular temper tantrums, and still somehow ends up getting the pretty girl by the end, but it's done in a really artful style. Adam Sandler acts his butt off in it, Emily Watson is great, Philip Seymour Hoffman is a very down to earth and believably psycho villain, and the whole thing just looks great. Yeah, I loved it too.
    Oh I knew it wasn't a a-typical Adam Sandler as I'd seen the last 10 minutes of it several years earlier. Just absolutely hated it. No'one talks like the people in the movie do. Very odd movie.

At the end, it felt like an extra 30 minutes was missing.

verbose douchebag
    No, it's stylistic. Dinosaurs probably didn't make noises like the ones in Jurassic Park either.

Well, at least with dinosaur noises, nobody knows what they actually sounded like.

There has been a lot of speculation on what some dinosaurs sounded like - especially the ones with long horn-like appendages connected to their nasal passages. I've watched some programs about reconstructions of voice boxes, throats, nasal passages, etc, where they try to simulate how the animals sounded. But this is all supposition. Take the skull of Mike Tyson in 200 years from now and make similar models. I bet most people would not conclude he had a high pitched voice.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    No, it's stylistic.
    The dialogue? I actually think it's pretty natural. The characters certainly aren't quite normal. Sandler, Watson, and Hoffman's characters all have their share or anger issues and quirks, but the way they talk is full of the kind of akwardness you normally don't see in movies.

Last edited by henke; 10th Jun 2015 at 01:52.

Page 104 of 206 FirstFirst ... 454596469747984899499100101102103104105106107108109114119124129134139144149154204 ... LastLast