TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Well I guess you're ready now for the best spoof the other side of The Wind Done Gone. (Spoilers for people who haven't seen it.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXUQjigUxcc

verbose douchebag
    Finished Mad Men with the wife the other day. Watched it to give her space from the violence of Sons of Anarchy having previously watched a couple of series. Very much enjoyed it, particularly the very consistent character development, particularly that the finale explains Don Draper's character flaws. Very nicely paced, and at times even very funny. Roger Sterling remains one of my favourite characters in anything.

Now we're starting Breaking Bad as she hasn't seen it.

ffs lets get a little crazy in here, I watched Princess Bride again, WITH MY KIDS

Level 10,000 achieved
    YOU WHAAAAAAT

thats crazy

Inconceivable!

As you wish.

The Midnight Meat Train is not an actual good movie, but damn, is it well-shot. The story and acting are sub-par, but I was just mesmerized by the visuals. Very stylized and just gorgeously lit and shot, and I don't just mean the violence but even scenes where nothing much happens. I'm a sucker for good cinematography and in this movie I mostly ignored the story but was captivated throughout by the pretty pictures. The visual style reminded my a bit of Blade Runner, except of course BR has more to it than just good visuals. Movie: 6/10 Visuals: 9/10.

I started watching Bojack the Horseman and after like 7 episodes its really growing on me. It feels a lot like cartoon version of Californication sans the sex, but actually follows a different plotline. It's not really laugh out loud funny or anything, but once you get to know the characters and few significant things happen it gets pretty interesting. Just finished the bit where Bojack visits his old cancer ridden friend he backstabbed and kind of has a mental breakdown after, so I'm genuinely curious what happens next.

That, and for someone who's been living in LA for a while and does not consider it the best city evar, the mockery of its vanity never gets old.

Went to the movies and watched "We Are Your Friends" today. Excellent movie overall, especially if you have an interest in the DJ scene or have a friend that's interested in it. Hell, you'd likely love it if your a fan of trance music. Zac Efron in particular was quite good, though the acting overall was quite good all round.

Very enjoyable. No complaints at all. 10/10.

How does it feel to be one of the seven people in the world to have watched it?

Over the weekend I finished season 1 of Mad Men (first time viewer) and Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell.

It took me a while to get into Mad Men, finding the world it depicts offputting and thinking that it'd all be rather samey - but then the characters started to reveal an inner life I hadn't expected and the themes began to come together, culminating in a fantastic, touching, ambivalent season finale.

I greatly enjoyed Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell too; I loved the mix between historical fiction and fantasy, the way this felt like a good BBC Dickens or Austen adaptation, but I especially loved the pitch perfect casting. Eddie Marsan is fantastic as he is most of the time, but I hadn't seen Bertie Carvel in anything before and he was equally good. The rest of the cast is great too: Charlotte Riley, Alice Englert, Samuel West, Paul Kaye, Enzo Cilenti etc. etc. There are moments when the series feels a bit rushed, and some of the CGI works better than other instances, but this was definitely one of the BBC series I've enjoyed most in recent years.

verbose douchebag
    Mad Men remains consistently good all the way through, just with varying amounts of stuff going on.
    Really just love the characters and the way they grow.

I liked the first season of Mad Men and was meaning to get back to it, tho like you I was fearing the "sameness" as it was already kinda setting in. Do they manage to keep the new seasons fresh?

And i didn't mind the off-putting-ness, au contraire, I liked how they weren't afraid to show that aspect of the time period. But then i make games in a similar time with its own level of sexism and backward belies, so maybe im just a closet bigot

My favorite show from this last year is Halt and Catch Fire, about the 80s diy computer revolution, and it gets compared to Mad Men, which isn't really fair.

HACF is more intimate, fewer main characters in less formal, more enlightened roles, and the drama is closer to our world. It's ratings were abysmal, less than what it deserves, so it's fighting for a third season. And while it has bumps, the 2nd season was a big jump over the first, critics love it, it has very loyal fans... It's the best show hardly anyone is watching.

So in the past, I've only ever got about an hour into Scarface before having to turn it off for one reason or another.

Finally sat down and watched the whole thing. Man that was depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    And i didn't mind the off-putting-ness, au contraire, I liked how they weren't afraid to show that aspect of the time period. But then i make games in a similar time with its own level of sexism and backward belies, so maybe im just a closet bigot
    The weird thing is, I was less put off by the sexist, racist, horribly violent world of The Sopranos than I was by Mad Men's 1960s. At least at first; in the early episodes I felt that the series was happy just to depict these things rather than comment on them, and if it had left it at that I would've got bored. However, my initial impression changed as Mad Men started to do more interesting things with its world and characters.

Werckmeister Harmonies, Pioneer.

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    How does it feel to be one of the seven people in the world to have watched it?
    Considering how few the amount of people was in the cinema I was in (3 people including myself). That would not surprise me.

Also considering the lack of advertising for the movie, I'd not be surprised either.

Yeah it had the worst opening of all time from a Hollywood studio title released in 2,000 or more theaters: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Zac-E...ons-80067.html

Dayam.

I suspect it will do better in dvd/blueray/digital downloads later on.

Tip for movie releases out there: If you want people to actually show up and buy tickets for your movie. Advertise the damn thing on the week + later weeks of it's release in cinemas.

I only knew of the movie since I like hunting movie trailer sites months ahead of time, prior to a movies release, to know of which movies are coming out later on etc.

Yep - I literally only heard of it because it made the news for being a massive flop. Not that it sounds like something I would have seen anyway...

Watched a movie called Synecdoce, New York, one of Charlie Kaufman's movies (the guy that did Adaptation, Being John Malkovich, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, etc). Lots of things I could say about it. I tend to like these kinds of allegorical movies with lots of layers and things to think about, and I like that it's more relentlessly bleak (in comparison to Being John Malkovich, which became too much of an outright circus parody IMO). Edit: I should elaborate. It's a black comedy. It's bleak but it's still consistently funny.

The main punchline I got is that it wasn't even a postmodern (pomo)/cyberpunk thought experiment after a while, but just an allegory of how life works. It didn't go in exactly the direction I was thinking/hoping it would go (where at the end the director directs exactly the first scene of the movie in the next layer (and maybe he becomes the 2nd-guy that will "later" die jumping off the building), to start the entire cycle over from the beginning, so we can see it's an endless cycle that may as well go back eons/eternally to some original "director" in the upper most studio perpetually dwelling on his life)....

But the direction it did take it (it's not a perfect cycle, but an unending series of near attempts to get close to it, and play with countless variations; and of course it has a definite "end") put it more in the territory of playing with the live theatre metaphor & the fact that life is a lot more messy than the mathematical precision of some pomo thought experiments (like Memento).

Well anyway, I liked it. I've liked this kind of thought experiment fiction since studying philosophy of mind back in the 90s, although Charlie Kaufman I always thought was on the clumsy end of it. But I thought this one held better than Being John Malkovich, and he's gotten better with carrying some emotional weight with his scenes. If anything, though, it became a bit too indulgent and lost its punch in too many layers trying to do too many things. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind still has to be his best work IMO.
    Last edited by demagogue; 9th Sep 2015 at 06:45.

Chakat sex pillow
    Charlie's always had that sort of clunky put-togetheredness to his scripts, it's charming and clever in some places (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, parts of Being John Malkovich) and painful in others (Adaptation, the other parts of being John Malkovich). SNY was... well, it took me a while to parse it, and the non-linearity didn't help though I can see why it was necessary to outline the warp and woof of the thing. I'm not unhappy to have seen it, because it had that sly undercurrent of meta-criticism and cheeky self-deprecation to it, and the ending came from an unexpected direction, but makes sense in retrospect. It really is too self-indulgent and mired in layers of parallax, and what message there is to it may be simple nihilistic fatalism, but I don't feel like my time was wasted from chewing on its bleak little heart, at the very least.

When I first saw Synecdoche, NY, I kind of liked it but felt the film was keeping me at a distance. The second time, knowing what to expect, I liked it a lot more. I think it may be the kind of film I come to love - and the ending is pitch perfect. I can't imagine it with any other actor than Philip Seymour Hoffman, though.

I also love Eternal Sunshine, but it is the more overtly sentimental, audience-pleasing film, because it's easier to care about the Jim Carrey character. PSH's character in SNY is a neurotic, self-centred ass. It's more of a struggle to care about him, but I think that's fair enough.

I was watching some doc on PSH observing that practically all his characters are neurotic or pathetic self-important asses and that are easy to hate/pity, but he does them so authentically and speaks more to the rest of us than any leading actor could. The more movies I see him in the more I'm impressed.

Page 109 of 205 FirstFirst ... 9596469747984899499104105106107108109110111112113114119124129134139144149154159 ... LastLast