TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Chakat sex pillow
    Revenge of the Sith had a couple of redeeming features (none of them the dialogue); the biggest one was that it made me want to watch A New Hope right after it wrapped up.

verbose douchebag
    Ditto exactly that. The closing the loop feel was it's biggest feature for me.

Except for the numerous major plot holes...

I read the best order to watch it is ep 4,5,2,3,6 (or, in release order 1,2,5,6,3), so kids still get the thrill of the Darth Vader reveal and the saga still ends triymphantly with a teddy bear luau, and Ep. 1 contributed literally nothing, but if you had to, I guess the version that cuts Jar Jar out completely and cuts all Anikan scenes to a bare minimum is best, as a glorified prolog to Ep. 2.

We'll see how the new trilogy fits in with the whole, but I imagine it'll fit just fine after Return.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Has anyone seen any of those prequel re-edits? I understand there's a few different ones. Here's one you can see on youtube, which really cuts down Ep1 to a bare minimum, 5 minutes in we're already into the Ep2 scenes. Heh, that lightsaber fight at the end and Qui-Gon-Jinn telling Obi-Wan to take care of the boy is really all that's needed of Ep1, isn't it?

Frankly, Star Wars IV: A New Hope is just about the only one that can't be boiled down to that lightsaber fight at the end. (Space fighter battle at the end FTW!)

So following my Charlie Kaufman trip, now I'm on a Rich Linklater trip, which is more relevant to me as a native Texan.

The Before trilogy is more interesting than it sounds, Waking Life and Scanner Darkly have inspired moments, School of Rock is School of Rock. And of course we can't forget Dazed & Confused where he hired some random guy at a bar (Matthew McConaughey) to be his lead on the spot because why not. But last night I saw what has to be his magnum opus, Boyhood.

Thinking back on it, I don't even know why it works, because on paper it shouldn't. It couldn't have a more prosaic story if it tried. But it works. It works swimmingly. It's amazingly ambitious for such a "small" story, and it captures the illusive "so this is life" brass ring better than any other movie I can think that's ever tried (looking at you, Tree of Life), and most movies don't even try.

If you've never heard the pitch, basically the movie follows a boy growing up, from 6 to 18, filmed over 12 years as the kid and everybody else literally grows up on camera. Video games, camping, family drama, girls, high school. As a suburban white American, at least, it's all flavors of familiar, and may as well put growing up American under a microscope. Every culture should have their version, and I think you'd understand where they're coming from as well as anything.
    Last edited by demagogue; 4th Nov 2015 at 12:05.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    I read the best order to watch it is ep 4,5,2,3,6 (or, in release order 1,2,5,6,3), so kids still get the thrill of the Darth Vader reveal and the saga still ends triymphantly with a teddy bear luau, and Ep. 1 contributed literally nothing, but if you had to, I guess the version that cuts Jar Jar out completely and cuts all Anikan scenes to a bare minimum is best, as a glorified prolog to Ep. 2.

We'll see how the new trilogy fits in with the whole, but I imagine it'll fit just fine after Return.
    The only 2 good things about the first of the prequel movies was:

1. The Light Sabre battles
    2. Pod Racing

The rest was meh.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Just came back from seeing Spectre! Shall I tell you how it was? SHALL I? Hmm, maybe I won't. Oh I'm just teasing, of course I'll say how it was. Here goes! It was alright.

I've heard it's the Bond-iest of the Craig films, for better and for worse.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah that's a good way to put it. Mostly it reminds of the old movies in a fun way, except towards the end when the antics of the old movies run up against the modern tone of the Craig films in some pretty uncomfortable ways. The modern equivalent of those fun laser-to-the-groin torture scenes of olden ends up looking more like something out of Saw in this one. And at the end the villain hastily sets up a dumb haunted house for Bond to run through on his way to the final confrontation, which, I'm like. what.

But yeah, overall an enjoyable movie. Better than Quantum, not as good as Skyfall. So 3rd best of the Craig ones then.

I'm sure I read somewhere recently that they're doing a Pointless American Remake™ of The Raid. Having just watched Dredd, I see that this has in fact already happened.

It was still excellent though.

Ugh, that misapprehension needs to die in a fire. Neither movie came out in a time frame where they could reasonably have influenced the other - and strictly speaking Dredd started filming first.

Doesn't matter if one influenced the other or it's an example of convergent evolution - they're still the same damn film.

I prefer Dredd; I liked half of The Raid, but then its fights became more ridiculous and less believable, even within its action framework. It was clear IMO that the later fights were showcases for the movie's martial arts choreography. The fighters should've had ribs sticking out of their chests, but no, they just go on beating each other. By comparison, Dredd remains credible.

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    ...they're still the same damn film.
    You can throw that misapprehension into the same fire. Look, having cops face off with drug lords involving corrupt cops and green cops doesn't qualify as a similarity - that's a genre. Being set almost entirely in an apartment building with a hole down the middle - hardly an unusual construction - is a similarity, but it's a pretty minor one.

And past that, the movies are very different, with an almost completely different plot.

In Raid, the green cops are wiped out early. In Dredd, she saves the day. In Dredd, the latter portion of the movie is driven by the corrupt cops hired to take out the protagonists - and they take a fairly straight-forward approach to that. In Raid, the corrupt cop basically IS a protagonist, and the latter portion of the movie is driven by the idiotic left-hand-man's obsession with staging unwitnessed fights to test his own prowess after he's already basically won.

Yes yes, I'm aware they're not actually the same film. But it's not a "common misconception" for nothing. I don't think there's anyone alive who could watch them both in a row, without context, and not think they were connected in some way. You can point out all the little differences all you like.

They're both crime action films with a penchant for hyper violence, about cops getting in over their heads when they enter an apartment building run by a crime boss druglord, with the same "one set" concept, and the same structure of following the protagonist non-stop as they ascend into hell. That's pretty damn specific! It's not like saying The Raid and The Departed are the same because they're crime films about corrupt cops.

First off, let's make sure we're still playing by the same goal posts. I'm not claiming they have no similarities; I'm claiming they share a genre and setting and a fair bit of setup. You claimed that they're the same movie, a remake in all but name. And I'm saying that's way overstating their similarities. If all you're arguing now is that they might seem connected in some way, then we don't really have a disagreement. I'm not willing to argue the strawman you're throwing in my direction. And you don't seem to be standing by your claim that they're "the same damn film".

I don't think there's anyone alive who could watch them both in a row, without context, and not think they were connected in some way.
    Yeah, they're cop-vs-druglord movies in an apartment building. That's... It. I actually think it's the fact that people DON'T generally watch them in a row that contributes to the perception. People remember the setup and think it's the same movie, but aside from the setup, there's not a whole lot similar about them. Certainly the bulk of the plot, action, and climactic moments are very different.

You can point out all the little differences all you like.
    "Completely different plot" is not a "little" difference. Setting and genre are little similarities. You can't call something a remake when the heart and bulk of the movie isn't even shared.

They're both crime action films with a penchant for hyper violence, about cops getting in over their heads when they enter an apartment building run by a crime boss druglord, with the same "one set" concept, and the same structure of following the protagonist non-stop as they ascend into hell. That's pretty damn specific!
    The only thing specific is the setting. Take that out (and take out the bit about the "same structure" which is mostly incorrect for either movie), and we're describing a whole genre.

It's not like saying The Raid and The Departed are the same because they're crime films about corrupt cops.
    Set The Departed in an apartment building and there you'd have it.

Contrast with the Total Recall remake. Here's a movie in completely different setting - not even the same planet - but the plot is beat-for-beat almost identical.

tl;dr: They are nowhere NEAR similar enough for either to constitute a remake of the other.
    Last edited by Pyrian; 7th Nov 2015 at 15:11.

Yes, I was exaggerating - they're not literally the same. The similarities just struck me as being very noticeable (and for the record I watched the Raid about a month ago so it's still pretty fresh in my mind). I think we're in agreement, I'm just being facetious and you're not.

Rewatched American Psycho for like the third time and reminding myself how beautifully elegant the whole film is. Surprisingly, Each time I watch it I feel like I get something new from the experience, perhaps it's because I'm getting older and can relate to Bateman more and more (ie the focus on how others see you, work, competition, and how much of it leads to so much vanity even in others). Really one of the best movies imho.

I thought Spectre was fucking terrible. A non-story that's nonsensically plotted (nonsensical plots are admittedly a Bond staple), wastes every actor involved, slackly edited and tries its best to retroactively ruin the rest of the Craig Bonds. Utterly tedious from beginning to end.

Well, the Dave Bautista bits were kind of alright I guess.

5 episodes now into Limitless and I'm not sure if it's me getting used to the change of pace with it being more of a cop show (sort of) or not, but it's definitely improved a fair bit.

If anything the various police stuff he's assigned to, is more just 1 aspect of several different things all going on at once. Definitely improving. I'll keep with it.

Not sure it is improving, but i too am getting more used/accepting to it. I foresee myself eating the whole season with a smile in my face.

On the darker side ... current complaints:
    * It is not really going anywhere so far - lacks commitment (getting some Lost vibes here [not quite comparably tho, as the 3-4 Lost episodes i watched had exactly zero total commitment - Limitless at least has made some tiny story commitments in some of the episodes]). Well, the show is still young, so - fine i guess.
    * The female sidekick is miscast - she has distinctiveness which needs writers support. Jarringly, she has nothing to do besides making me hear Blinkett in my head every time: "What's WRONG with your FAAACE!?". Hoping the writers wake up - she could be a great character. At least i hope so.
    * Current solution for plot exposition (breaking the fourth wall / talking with himself) - is a bit overdone / overused. Ep.7 has even an exact copy of a famous fourth wall breaking scene in the end - i guess it is there to draw attention to the problem (common way for writers to tell: yes, it is wonky, everyone knows it - move along) and cement it as part of the shows style. Fine i guess, but still a bit worrying.

It definitely feels like it's going nowhere. I'll be surprised if it gets picked up for a 2nd season.

I'd forgotten how much better the first episode is to the others until I rewatched it (I was introducing the girlfriend to the show). Much of the later episodes is more about him showing off his mental abilities, where as in the first it feels far more like the movie. Musics far better as well.

Female side kick definitely was a miscasting. She does sort of grow on you after a while, but yeah I agree for sure there. Her acting in the first episode in particular is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Rewatched American Psycho for like the third time and reminding myself how beautifully elegant the whole film is.
    It's didn't really do it for me--maybe because I'm not seeing it in its prime--but I have to admire how fully Bale threw himself into the part. There were times when he was practically Jim Carey in his gusto. And it nailed a certain style.

It's also good that it played up the satire side (the vanity angle worked for it) more than the slasher side, and it's probably best the movie cut out the worst of the book's torture pron. It didn't do much for me because nihilist punchlines in stories--the whole thing goes to show how pointless and purposeless some scenes in life are--don't hit me very hard. I wasn't put off so much as felt, ok, great, it was all for nothing, what's next in the docket.

Now a movie about the arbitrariness of life, some win while others lose for no good reason to explain the difference, that would hit harder. It's a subtle difference maybe.
    Last edited by demagogue; 11th Nov 2015 at 10:18.

Page 114 of 206 FirstFirst ... 146469747984899499104109110111112113114115116117118119124129134139144149154159164 ... LastLast