TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Yes, I meant "Room". Good idea, "meh" execution. Like I said, I was excited to see it. I had read a great review. Yet, I was disappointed within the first 5 minutes. I think demagogue has done a pretty good job of explaining why is is flawed. When it comes to cable, I will probably watch it again. I think it deserves a chance.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Watched "Love" over the past week. Binged the last 3 eps last night. Great stuff. More drama than comedy. Gillian Jacobs is amazing.

Episodes 11-12 of walking dead season 6 watched. Great stuff.

Watch Takashi Miike's 13 Assassins the other night, a Samurai epic which is so well-paced with a slow burn to an insane, extended, gruelling battle that it feels like it was made 30 years earlier. It's masterfully crafted, bold and simple without being dumb, and insanely violent without ever feeling gratuitous. All in all, one of the best action films I've seen in a long time.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yes, 13 Assassins was great! I should rewatch it some time.

Last night I watched Go-Go Boys, the Inside Story of Cannon Films.

A documentary about a couple of Israeli brothers who came to America in the 80's, took over Cannon Films, a quickly started producing such modern classics as Blood Sport, Delta Force, Death Wish II, the American Ninja series, Breakin', Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo, and Over The Top. Very enjoyable doc, even tho the first 20 minutes or so that establishes their pre-Hollywood days drags a bit.

Studio Ghibli's The Tale of Princess Kaguya is a simple, beautifully told story - and absolutely gorgeous to look at. Stylistically it's much less homogeneous than Miyazaki's anime; much of it has a crayon look, some of it is more stylised and expressionistic, recalling the animation of Bill Plympton. Definitely worth checking out, unless you're already allergic to the idea of anime.

Also, I very much liked Amy. Asif Kapadia definitely knows how to do compelling documentaries.
    Last edited by Thirith; 12th Mar 2016 at 08:18.

Chakat sex pillow
    If memory serves, Kaguya is primarily watercolours and charcoal. It's the most striking animated tale I've seen as of late, and took about 7 or 8 years to make - directed by the man who did Grave of the Fireflies, which is the second-most depressing film I've ever seen (the first being Requiem for a Dream). As a cohesive experience, it's beautiful. Joe Hisaishi's soundtrack is a wonderful thing, as it mostly always is, but here I can't imagine the movie having as much impact as it did without that score.

As a story, it takes the old folk-tale and gives it substance, but it could have used more fleshing out for the ancillary characters, especially the mom and the dad. That would have made it a true-blue classic, but I suppose I'm happy that it shoots for the moon and manages to get there, even if it forgets that the journey is more important than the destination in the process.

I watched Everest - 3D couple nights ago; it was ok. White snow with mountains in the background always look nice in 3D.
    Based on a true story. The blizzard was deadly, and in 3D you couldn't see. But you sure could hear.

I'd say 2.5 stars out of 4. So, 3D or not ... still to consider, very. * Reading about the real story was more rewarding to me, and when we read, the 3D reading is as effective as our imagination is. In the film, just the 3D rendition, I'd say 3.25 out of 4 stars.

10 Cloverfield Lane was a pretty good movie up until it became a.....different....movie. But that second movie was okay too so I guess it balances out. I thought Goodman did a good job of keeping us guessing: creepy crazy dude who literally doesn't have the word "woman" in his vocabulary, weirdo-but-perceptive ultra-survivalist, or both? I kept thinking of Tim Robbins' character from War of the Worlds, what with the dangerously unrealistic survivalist attitude but with a special helping of solipsism to go with it.

I only vaguely remember Cloverfield and I felt this movie would have been fine without the nod to that film. I am glad this movie was not about Mr. Cloverfield and its aftermath and spent most of its time on the characters.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Just came back from seeing Hail, Ceasar! Loved it! So much fun. So many great actors giving great performances in tiny parts. There are a lot of plotlines packed into these 106 minutes, and the end does get a bit messy. I feel like some of the plotstrands didn't get developed as far as they could've but other got a bit too much screentime. Channing Tatum's musical number was amazing, but his other scenes were a bit dull. Also could've done without Tilda Swinton's parts. Would've loved to see more of Hobie Doyle tho! That character deserves his own sequel! I wanna see what happens with his carreer, what happens with him and Carlotta, and I wanna see more of his cowboy movies. The movies within this movie were so much fun.

Also, yesterday I watched Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Or re-watched it rather. I first saw it in my early teenage years. I remember the TV guide had promised a "sci-fi classic", but the movie I saw didn't have any laser guns or outer space adventures in it. Instead it was mostly just a lot of talking, and then when the aliens show up at the end there's no epic battle, instead they just play music at em! Teenage me was disappointed, to say the least. I liked it better on rewatching. Dreyfus scaring his family by going crazy obsessing over what he's seen was very entertaining, and there's a lot of cool stuff presented visually. That Speilberg knows what he's doing, I tell ya! In the end, it does drag on a bit too long tho. That whole ending sequence? Eeeeehhh, they could've trimmed it down a bit.

I've started a watch through of the Marvel movies I've not seen that are to do with Avengers, so started with "The Incredible Hulk". Now I'm only half way through watching it, but this ones excellent. Edward Norton's acting is pretty good, and the stories quite good. So yeah, enjoying that so far.

In going with the above post, later this week I watched two extra movies.

Captain America The First Avenger - This one was half half. Incomparison to Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk, this one was predictable from the get go, and just feels like it's lacking something. Has it's good bits. 6/10.

Deadpool - Absolutely mirror opposite to CA. Not predictable at all (except for 1 bit involving the girlfriend). Hilarious movie, filled with laughs all over. Good use of gore too. 10/10. Loved it. Great to see a Super Hero (or in this case Anti-Hero) where he's not a straight up good guy. The amount of 4th wall breaking is alittle over the top, but never gets on the nerves.

Level 10,000 achieved
    We're all watching Daredevil season 2, right? I'm on ep 5, pretty good so far! The Punisher is great. The faux-one-take hallway fight was cool, tho not as cool as season 1's faux-one-take hallway fight.

is Best Pony
    To be honest I've gotten a bit stuck in Season 1 - I was very pumped up to see it but I'm not sure it's grabbing me enough to want to power through and on to Season 2.

Particularly when I can just watch more Person of Interest instead.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Matthew! You're back!

How far did you get in season 1? IIRC it got better once Wilson Fisk was introduced.

is Best Pony
    I might just be back, you know. It's great to see so many of the old faces here.

I'm about 5 episodes in so far. Fisk was definitely introduced and is pretty intriguing as a take on the character; Matt and his supporting cast are less engaging, certainly at this point anyway. Do you find it improves as the season progresses, henke?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah I'd say so. I found the lawyer stuff to be the least engaging, but thankfully the show didn't end up focusing much on that.

A few days ago watched "Moon". Much like Ex Machina, this one is straight up science fiction (I hate that fantasy and science fiction are in the one category these days).

Though the trailer vs what this movie ended up being about is QUITE different. I thought it was about a guy spending too much time on his own on the moon and going bonkers, and whilst that looks exactly what it's about at the start, it COMPLETELY moves away from that soon after.

Kind drags on at some bits, and in others I was was like, what the hell is going on. I think if the movie was about what I had got the impression of from the trailer, then it would have been MUCH more interesting.

Overall a good movie though.

6/10.

verbose douchebag
    Started watching X-Files for the first time recently (yeah yeah, I know '93 wants its forum post back, I was too busy being obsessed with music at the time) and it's pretty enjoyable. It's very goofy in an endearing way. One observation I'm making is how god-awful '90s sci-fi is aesthetically. In the '80s and before, the actual tech being fantasised about was such a distant piece of whimsy that the way it was imagined was entertainingly psychedelic both at the time and historically, but due to the tech in the '90s, with the emergence of computer science as a mainstream thing, the internet and breakthroughs in things like genomics etc etc, the way that cutting edge tech was depicted was lame because it was close to actual things which existed but made clumsy extrapolations as to how they might go awry. The rogue AI in series 1 being a prime example.

Either way, fun, but in a schlocky way.

Been watching Vikings. Fairly enjoyable fluff with silly accents and sillier hair.

Irritating, although I guess understandable anachronisms too: every time the dark age Christians quote the King James Bible I'm like "No. No. No!"

"Thor" scratched off the Marvel Super Hero movie list, and god damn this movie is fantastic. Feel bad for not going and seeing it at the cinema back when it came out now.

Great action, story, pacing and character development. This movie HAS everything that Captain America lacks.

10/10.

is Best Pony
    I quite enjoyed Thor myself, though I'll be interested to see how you find The Dark World.

I've a real soft spot for both Captain America films - having been raised on a lot of the old 40s films I suppose it really touched on some of the same beats for me. Incredible Hulk on the other hand bored me enough that I couldn't get past the first half-hour. Of course, I'm a fan of Ang Lee's version so don't take my word for anything.

In my case, I've not watched that much in the way of Marvel Super-Hero related shows. So for me was going in with a blank slate.

I'd only ever watched 1 episode of the super old Hulk TV show. I did watch a couple of episodes of the Spiderman cartoon.

The Batman cartoon series I used to watch a fair bit of.

About the only Super-Hero show I used to watch nearly every episode was the Hercules + Xena live action shows. Now those I LOVED. But that's not Marvel at all.

is Best Pony
    Fuck yeah, Xena and Herc! I am veeeeeery suspicious of the recently-touted Xena reboot.

Also, typing on a new keyboard while drunk is harrrd.

So I saw Batman VS Superman. Urgh. Many many things awry. Nonsensical plot with credulity stretching character motivations, weird editing and pacing. Confusing and unnecessary dream sequences. Not quite as mystifyingly dire as Fantastic 4, but just as dull.

I mostly blame the script and Snyder, the ingredients were there but just very badly mixed. The actors do a fair job with what they have. Eisenburg is kind of enjoyable, but why is Lex Luthor so crazy? Came off like a Joker tribute act.

Page 124 of 205 FirstFirst ... 24747984899499104109114119120121122123124125126127128129134139144149154159164169174 ... LastLast