TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Well somebody (John Travolta, in fact) produced a series about the OJ Simpson trial, American Crime Story: The People vs OJ Simpson, and it's great.
    I'm watching this, at least I just finished Episode 9 about an hour ago - it's on BBC 2 at the moment. I've not looked to see how many episodes there are but it looks as if it's coming to a conclusion in the next episode. I was rather wondering how real it was.

I've also started on the second series of The Tunnel which is the UK/French version of the Bridge. I was disappointed in Series 3 of the Bridge, I thought it missed Kim Bodnia. But the Tunnel is looking good after episode 1.

Edit. Oooh, Line of Duty is getting very interesting and very tense - enjoying it immensely.

Netflix screwed with our series watching by dumping Doctor Who S1-4 while we were in mid-season 3. Well, we found other means and ways... Some of S3 was among the best of Doctor Who I've seen to date...

... and then there were the last two episodes which were, well, a mixed bag.

So I caved in and went to see Batman v Superman because I'm a masochist or something, and... what do you know it's absolutely awesome. Don't listen to all the naysayers, the haters, the critics or the raging fanboys, it's a perfectly fine movie.

I mean for anyone who has a functioning brain it shouldn't be hard to understand why the two characters initially hate each other, or why they reconcile so easily, or why Batman uses guns, or whatever nonsensical little detail the internet has chosen to obsess over.

The whole movie is a setup for the final confrontation, and it works beautifully. But you need an attention span of more than five minutes because the pay-off for all these seemingly random scenes from the beginning only comes at the two hour mark when the Evil Genius reveals his master plan. It even managed to surprise me in places despite having the whole plot spoiled beforehand.

Anyway, here's a long rant about why people are really dumb for not understanding this movie (not really aimed at anyone in particular, rather the internet in general):

Of course Batman is not as you remember him from the cartoon! He's an older Batman who has lost faith in humanity and is completely disillusioned. He's a jaded, cynical old fuck. The fact that he uses guns, kills bad guys mindlessly or tortures them by branding them with a hot iron should give you a clue as to his troubled state of mind! He's seen too many horrible things which have made him into an angry, sadistic, and vengeful asshole. You're not supposed to root for him, you're supposed to be disgusted by his actions.

Then we have Superman, an average guy from Kansas who has the strength of a god, can fire lasers from his eyes, and is basically invincible. Of course he's gonna create a lot of collateral damage! That's the whole point! He's young, immature, hotheaded, and to be honest not very bright. He's also arrogant, pompous and prone to bursts of anger.

The reason why Batman hates Superman and wants to kill him is pretty obvious. He's a walking, living weapon of mass destruction that could obliterate humanity in a heartbeat. That much is made clear in the opening of the movie when the existence of Superman single-handedly brings about the destruction of an entire city.

The reason why Superman hates Batman is because, well, he brands criminals with a hot iron! Of course that shit would feel wrong to Superman with his boyscout view of the world. It would feel wrong to any sane person.

That they reconcile over the fact their mother shares the same name is not a "plothole" or whatever bullshit I read on the web. The movie opens with a dream/memory sequence of the funeral of Bruce's parents, interspersed with their murder. During the funeral the camera focuses on his mother's tombstone, and specifically her name, and during the murder, one memory stands out: his father whispering Martha as his last breath. From that you can infer that he had a strong attachment to his mother and that pronouncing the name Martha might easily elicit a strong emotional response in him. Especially when he's about to kill someone with his bare hands in a fit of rage. Maybe far-fetched but perfectly consistent with the movie's internal logic and the way they wrote those characters. Ben Affleck also did a great job in lending emotion to the scene. Henry Cavill not so much, I find his acting rather poor.

As for why Superman fought Batman instead of reasoning with him, well because he's a douche that's why. It's made pretty clear throughout the movie that he is dumb as a rock when he's repeatedly being setup for blame not once, not twice, but three times.

How anyone could miss any of that shit and summarize the movie as being a jumbled mess that makes no sense is beyond me.

The only thing I didn't like about the movie was Wonder Woman. She felt completely out of place with her silly outfit. Her character also serves no purpose whatsoever. Remove her from the movie and it still works the same. And Gal Gadot is ugly as fuck. That arrogant smirk makes me want to punch her in the face.

Just finished watching Torchwood's 1st season. The LGBT community must have LOVED this show. So much same sex stuff going on (not that there's anything wrong with that). A VERY different tone to Doctor Who. More serious, more on character development. A very X-Files-ish type vibe. The acting is a real mixed bag. Some is good, others are average. The first few episodes not counting the 1st are meh, but it improves as it goes along + events from episodes have knock on effects to later on ones, so that's good.

All in all, the first season is good, but it doesn't hold a candle to the David Tennant series of Doctor Who which was screening as of this shows 1st season. Onto season 2. From this point forward I'd not seen the series previously (back when it was on regular tv) beyond this point. Be interesting . Hopefully the show improves.

Manwe has a terrible opinion on something that totally misses everyone's point? Unheard of!

The characters you just described are not Batman and Superman. If you want to make a movie about a cynical old fuck fighting a hotheaded young fool, go ahead, but don't try to paste those characteristics onto well established characters while ignoring their most important character traits to make a quick buck by using an established brand.

The critics are not dumb here. This is not an isolated incident of one bad movie - the entire careers of these two have been crap.

Goyer has NEVER written anything good on his own. He basically gets work because he was one of a number of writers on Dark City and had story credits on Nolan's bat trilogy. Everything he's written or directed primarily by himself has been an awful flop.

Snyder is aesthetically and politically cinematic cancer. He rarely seems to understand the material he's adapting. He was just wants to make stuff that SEEMS epic and intellectual then stylize it in the dumbest possible way. Let's take a look at the highlights:

Dawn of the Dead: A perfectly serviceable remake that nonetheless misses the point of the entire film by ignoring the metaphor that drove the original. Still probably his most entertaining film.

300: A faithful adaptation of a terrible book by an insane author that's basically a thinly veiled anti-Islamic screed. Manwe probably loves it for that reason.

Watchmen: Snyder clearly loved this book and understood that it was great and needed to be treated with reverence, but didn't understand what made it great. This is a very faithful adaptation of a very thought provoking and gripping book that somehow turned out incredibly boring on screen. Parts of it are well acted, others are not - but the main problem is there's no sense of pacing whatsoever. It ends up feeling like a sequence of largely uneventful scenes that don't have any momentum or come together into any sort of bigger picture, and the extended cuts just make this worse. Plus the aesthetics make little sense - the book was intentionally garishly colored in spots as a play on comic book tropes. Why is the film's color palette so dark and bland? What place do slomo fight scenes have in Watchmen? And why is someone who adapted Miller and wants to adapt Rand tackling a book about the failure of dogmatic ideology?

Man of Steel: The first half of this is at least watchable, if a bit dull. Then it turns into watching Snyder play with toys in the dullest possible way for the remainder. Zero character development. Iron Man wasn't a perfect film, but at least it provided a solid foundation for the MCU - not so here.
    Last edited by froghawk; 26th Apr 2016 at 10:56.

It's weird. I watched the remake of Dawn of the dead first. Loved it.

Years later watched the original. Loved that. Few months later watched the remake again. Hated it, except the end bit on the island.

Just watched the 2011 movie "Drive". Holy fuck, this is a fantastic movie. Great acting all round. Best being Ryan Gosling (best I've ever seen him act in a film by a LONG SHOT) and Bryan Cryanston, but honestly the acting by all actors in it is top notch. The 80s style synthesizer music is excellent, and the movie is not predictable AT ALL.

At the start I was like ok this is going to be a film about him being the driver for various criminal actions. Nope. Then thought it was going to be about him hooking up with the neighbor and becoming a race car driver. Nope. Then I just stopped trying to guess where it was going and just sat back and enjoyed it. And it ends on a uncertainty of whether Gosling's character died or not. I'm assuming he did, but common he was still alive and driving several hours later, but whose to say.

This movie is FANTASTIC, and I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND this to all. 10/10.

Refn is the best. Go watch all of his movies. You won't regret it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ehhh, I don't know about that. Drive is fantastic, and the Pusher trilogy is good. Only God Forgives is pretty, but dull as hell. Bronson I wanted to like, but didn't. And Valhalla Rising I thought I hadn't seen, until I just watched the trailer and realized oh wait, I have seen this, I'd just forgotten all about it. Still, based on the strength of Drive and Pusher I will continue watching his movies. Dude can make some really great stuff when he gets it right.

Quote Originally Posted by froghawk View Post
    Manwe has a terrible opinion on something that totally misses everyone's point? Unheard of!
    My opinion is the best opinion.

The characters you just described are not Batman and Superman. If you want to make a movie about a cynical old fuck fighting a hotheaded young fool, go ahead, but don't try to paste those characteristics onto well established characters while ignoring their most important character traits to make a quick buck by using an established brand.
    I'm pretty sure the character I described is Batman as written by Frank Miller. Whether you like him or not that's canon and faithful to the character. Superman I'm not sure, I've never read any of his comics, I'm not big on comics anyway. I couldn't care less if it's faithful to the character as long as it makes for a fun movie. And a walking American flag with a boy scout mentality does not make for a very fun one.

Look it's simple, either you have a Superman that is a saint, in which case he can't do much besides using his X-ray vision to spy on bad guys and using his heat vision to disarm them before knocking them out with his little finger.

Or you have a Superman that punches bad guys in the face and sends them flying into skyscrapers, in which case you kinda need to explain the collateral damage in some way. And no, brushing it away with "oh no worries this area is inhabited at this time of the day" or "this island is deserted" is not enough. So instead you have to come up with a character that's more than just a two-dimensional cardboard cutout and actually has some depth to him. I say props to this movie for at least trying to deal with the ethics of such a power, and not just avoid the question.

By the way, see how I was able to criticize a movie that I enjoyed there? How I was able to nuance my opinion ? How I'm not frothing at the mouth trying to convince people it's the best movie of the decade, or the worst ever made? It's crazy, right?

The critics are not dumb here. This is not an isolated incident of one bad movie - the entire careers of these two have been crap.
    I'm pretty sure the entire careers of all directors is mostly made of crap. I mean Ridley Scott has made more shitty movies than good. That doesn't make Alien any less good. As for Snyder, the only decent movies he's made are Watchmen, 300, and this one. The rest is mostly garbage (Sucker Punch lol). Anyway I'm not sure what you're getting at with any of this. I never said I was a fan of Snyder or thought he was a great director (hint: there are no great directors, only great movies). I think you imagined that. I'm not a fan of his just like I'm not a fan of anybody. I'm a fan of entertaining movies.

Dawn of the Dead: A perfectly serviceable remake that nonetheless misses the point of the entire film by ignoring the metaphor that drove the original. Still probably his most entertaining film.
    Not here to defend Snyder, or remakes, but "serviceable" is what you're looking for in a remake.

300: A faithful adaptation of a terrible book by an insane author that's basically a thinly veiled anti-Islamic screed. Manwe probably loves it for that reason.
    And what, pray tell, makes you think I do not like Muslims? I've been a vocal supporter of Muslims on this very forum you idiot. But I'm open minded enough that my brain doesn't just shutdown and go into panic mode anytime I come close to someone guilty of thought crime. I know you think that stuff is contagious, but really that's not how biology works.

Also faithful adaptation, you said it, so I take it he did a good job then?

Watchmen: Snyder clearly loved this book and understood that it was great and needed to be treated with reverence, but didn't understand what made it great. This is a very faithful adaptation of a very thought provoking and gripping book that somehow turned out incredibly boring on screen.
    I agree on Watchmen. Would have been more faithful without the cool looking action sequences which were the antithesis of what the book stood for. But you know what? In the end it still made for a cool action movie, so whatever. I'm not gonna cry myself to sleep over it.

Man of Steel: The first half of this is at least watchable, if a bit dull. Then it turns into watching Snyder play with toys in the dullest possible way for the remainder. Zero character development. Iron Man wasn't a perfect film, but at least it provided a solid foundation for the MCU - not so here.
    Why are you talking about Man of Steel? Or Iron Man for that matter? When did I say I thought MoS was good? I specifically said on this very thread that it was a huge disappointment. It's a horrible movie. And no the first half of it is not watchable. It's torture. As for the MCU, who gives a shit which side has the biggest dick? Seriously how old are you?

No.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Ehhh, I don't know about that. Drive is fantastic, and the Pusher trilogy is good. Only God Forgives is pretty, but dull as hell. Bronson I wanted to like, but didn't. And Valhalla Rising I thought I hadn't seen, until I just watched the trailer and realized oh wait, I have seen this, I'd just forgotten all about it. Still, based on the strength of Drive and Pusher I will continue watching his movies. Dude can make some really great stuff when he gets it right.
    Bronson is one of the funniest movies of recent years imo, and I found OGF and Valhalla Rising delightfully mind-altering. Fear X and Bleeder are his weakest to me.

I've just watched Son of Saul.

It's definitely one of the best movies about German concentration camp Auschwitz-Birkenau. It's perfectly shot and terrifying movie about the prisoner from the Sondercommando unit working in crematorium area at the task of burning of the corpses of those already murdered in the gas chamber. I was in Auschwitz just a few days ago and I can tell you that "Son of Saul" really feels like a very accurate documentary.

If you want to fully understand the plot, you definitely need to read about the Sondercommando revolt in Auschwitz first. There are plenty of sources online.

You can say that again.

Tonight I had the pleasure of watching "Captain America - Civil War". This one really could have had the Avengers name in the front rather than Captain America, considering the focus of the movie but meh.

In either case, FANTASTIC movie. Absolutely loved it. Great plot, great acting, great action. A must see if your into the Marvel superhero flicks.

10/10

Bad Neighbors 2 watched. First one was better. Still an enjoyable watch. 6/10.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Tonight I had the pleasure of watching "Captain America - Civil War". This one really could have had the Avengers name in the front rather than Captain America, considering the focus of the movie but meh.

In either case, FANTASTIC movie. Absolutely loved it. Great plot, great acting, great action. A must see if your into the Marvel superhero flicks.

10/10
    They got the license plates wrong on every car in Germany.

1/10

Ginger Snaps, I recently just seen those awesome movies. The bond between the sisters is just so emotional. It is now my favourite movie.

Just got back from X-Men: Apocalypse. Overall - Excellent. Wolverine nearly steals the show with his quick cameo bit in it. If you liked the first one (of these prequel movies to the other X-Men movie series) then you'll love this.

8/10.

Speaking of thoughtcrime a new ghostbusters trailer came out.

For all of you on here who hated the first trailer or this most recent one(and thats most of you), you're bigots and sexists.

Your welcome:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ler-guess-why/

is Best Pony
    There's also a new international trailer that is quite different, I believe.

Equating public opinion with a YouTube comments section. Palm -> face.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Just got back from X-Men: Apocalypse. Overall - Excellent. Wolverine nearly steals the show with his quick cameo bit in it. If you liked the first one (of these prequel movies to the other X-Men movie series) then you'll love this.

8/10.
    I liked it as well, though I think Quicksilver's speed scenes were the highlight of the acts they were in. If you like superhero action movies or the X-Men franchise in general this is definitely worth a watch.

7-8/10 for me.

Season 2 of Veronica Mars finished off. Not sure why it took me so long to get through it. Always had other stuff to watch and so kept forgetting about it. Quite good on the overall whole. Good in binge watches of 3-4 episodes in a go.

Onto the 3rd and final season of the show. Then be onto the (Kickstarted) movie.

Just got back from seeing "The Nice Guys" at the cinema. Pretty damn good movie. Ryan Gosling and Russel Crowe are excellent, as is the girl actor who plays Gosling's daughter. Great plot + I loved the 70s setting which was very much evident in the technology seen and the way people are.

Had not seen much in the way of advertising for the movie over here, so I suspect it wont do very well at the box office.

8/10.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'll try to catch Nice Guys at the cinema this week.

This weekend I watched (and also made Yakoob sit through) Mission Impossible 5, San Andreas, and Rounders. As circumstances would have it I'd seen MI5 previously with another TTLGer, Jeshibu, when I visited Amsterdam. That time however, after a long day of traveling I kept falling asleep towards the end. After a full rewatching I can say that it's a very good action movie, but MI4 remains the series highpoint for me. San Andreas was pure dumb fun. And Rounders is an old fave of mine. Koob also introduced me to Rick and Morty which was pretty great. Will definitely watch the rest of it!

SA I completely hated when I went to see that. Went in expecting a movie about a guy rescuing people in the middle of a natural disaster. Got a movie about a guy trying to save his family. Zzzzzzzz.

Page 127 of 206 FirstFirst ... 277782879297102107112117122123124125126127128129130131132137142147152157162167172177 ... LastLast