TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Went in expecting a movie about a guy rescuing people in the middle of a natural disaster. Got a movie about a guy trying to save his family.
    Yeah, those are totally different things. I can see why you hated it.

Administrator
    I watched that recent film about the Kray twins, called "Legend" for some reason. Tom Hardy was doing a good job but it's still just a story about some nasty London thugs who happened to get photographed with celebrities. One of them was also insane. I don't really understand the fascination with the Mafia either. Just dark entertainment watching all that male swagger and posturing and swearing? Black Mass was similarly depressing.

Aye, Rounders was excellent and San Andreas proved far more entertaining than anticipated! Glad you enjoy Rick and Morty too

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Yeah, those are totally different things. I can see why you hated it.
    Much of that had to do with how the trailer was done as it gives off that impression. Plus the concept of a movie involving a helicopter pilot going in to evacuate people from the middle of a natural disaster sounded awesome. Instead what it was about was quite average and un-original.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Last night I watched Blue Ruin. Didn't know anything about it going in, except that it was a criminal thriller and had a near perfect 5-star score on Netflix. It's a movie about a homeless guy who finds out that the man who killed his parents are getting an early release from prison, so he travels back to his home state to kill him. Don't wanna spoil anything beyond that, but I really enjoyed it. It's a very grounded, realistic-feeling movie, set in rural America. Beautifully shot too. Kinda similar vibe as Winter's Bone. I didn't recognize the names of anyone behind this production but apparently the director/writer/cinematographer is the same guy who made Green Room (which I haven't seen yet).

Also halfway through Lady Dynamite. I'm a big fan of The Bammer, but I'm so-so on this one. Not to sound like a total hipster or anything, but I preferred her old webseries The Maria Bamford Show. It's exactly the same as the new TV show but with no production values and Maria plays al the parts herself. So it's way better.
    Last edited by henke; 6th Jun 2016 at 04:55.

3rd season of Veronica Mars + the Kickstarted movie now watched. Thoughts:

3rd Season - Unlike seasons 1 & 2 which dealt with 1 big mystery and small cases mixed throughout (which always were resolved within each episode), this season has 3 big mysteries. Awesome. Some great character development related stuff throughout for all the main characters and it ends on a big cliffhanger. Excellent season. Odd that the show ended at this point. Only downside was Veronica hooking up with a dull boring guy towards the end, which you just knew was going to happen a MILE AWAY. 9/10.

The movie - This movie is one big love letter to the fans of the show. Would I recommend it to people who haven't seen the show? Nope as you'd not understand 3/4 of it. This movie shows what the power of crowdfunding can do. Bring long dead stuff back to life. As a big fan of the show I ABSOLUTELY loved this. Never a dull moment. Great acting, good music, and several surprise guest appearances. Jamie Lee Curtis, Jerry O'Connell (of Sliders fame), James Franco. Wow. Excellent excellent movie, and a great way to properly end the series. 11/10. Yep it went beyond the 10.

This movie goes to show the power of crowdfunding, and I pray/wish that this is used for more TV shows to provide a far proper ending done well, with true love and credit (as this movie did) given to the fans.

Some shows I'd love to see this done for:

* Angel
    * Dark Angel
    * Millennium
    * Sliders (with the original cast, not the boring final season cast).
    * Terminator - The Sarah Connor Chronicles

And many more.

I'd have said X-Files and Twin Peaks but both of those have/will receive revival TV shows.

Now to finish off Torchwood.

I finally watched Interstellar last night. What can I say? Haters gonna hate, but I thought it was great.

It started a bit judderingly - after the initial world setup, getting Matthew McConaughy into space felt really rushed, like there were a couple of training montages on the cutting room floor or something.

But after that the story hits it's stride, throwing awesome hard science fiction at you in spades, mixed with some genuinely exciting setpieces.

I went into it having heard that the ending was a bit of a letdown, so maybe that coloured my view, but I thought the whole finale and payoff was equally great. By that point, I was utterly invested in the characters and the concept. It reminded me of 2001, only it made sense.

Overall the film feels like the closest we'll ever get to what might have happened if The Dig had gone down its original path of being a Steven Spielberg film instead of a LucasArts adventure game.

Just got back from watching "The Conjuring 2". Nowhere near as good as the first one and the jump scares are so numerous that they fail to have an effect (or maybe I'm just too desensitized for it to effect me). Good story though. 6/10.

Torchwood season's 2 & 3 watched.

Season 2 - Excellent. Heaps of episodes, good character development, good range of things going on. Excellent season. This is the show at it's peak. They could have continued on with how it was done during this one. Much better better than the first season.

Season 3 - Only 5 episodes long, and all part of one big story. Good story, but with many of the cast now gone there's much less in the way of regulars to get behind. Still a good ending, though I was hoping the Doctor would show up at the end to save the day but nope. Grrr.

Now onto the final 4th season.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Caught the Nice Guys on the last night they were showing it here. Pretty damn great! Great characters, great dialogue. Typical Shane Black fuck-up protagonists full of bluster and wonderfully idiotic lines.

"Oh, just following orders are you? You know who else was just following orders? Hitler!"

Level 10,000 achieved
    Game of Thrones! Season 3. Yeah, I've got some catching up to do. Watched Season 2 years ago and enjoyed it a lot but never got back to it before now when I decided to try a HBO Nordic subscription. I also watched the first episode of Silicon Valley, which was alright, tho not up to the standards of earlier Mike Judge stuff, yet. Will keep watching.

Season 4 of Torchwood finished off which completes my watching of that show + all of Doctor Who.

Season 4 I have to say I COMPLETELY hated at the start since it moves away from the UK and off to the US. Or so it seemed. Few episodes later it shifted to a mix of the two. Cool. Has an absolute heap of well known US actors that do excellent performances. The plot is great and I was completely hooked then on.

Is it better than when it was completely UK based? HELL NO. Much of what makes Torchwood great is the same thing that makes Doctor Who great. The UK charm of it all. Also the action and episodic nature of having different stories per episode. Seasons 3 & 4 don't go for the episodic and instead go for one big story spread across many episodes. I will say that the show was at it's absolutely prime in season 2, but season 4 comes second place and if it had continued on in this new form I'd have completely fine with that, issues aside.

Unlike Doctor Who's one and only attempt at becoming more Americanized which failed miserably, Torchwood does very well at it. Shame the series ended here.

Now to work out what to watch next. Maybe get back to watching Gotham, or the Evil Dead tv show might be worth a look.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Watched the "Red Wedding" episode of GoT last night. Despite having read the books, and heard everyone on the internet loose their minds about this episode years ago, it was still very impactful. I got shivers when the door was closed and the band started playing "The Rains of Castamere".

I was thinking GOT was going to run out of steam but Season 6 was really strong -- even the bumpy bits (like Arya, Mereen, and King's Landing) at least pay off -- and it sets up Season 7 to be even stronger. All the pieces are falling into place now... into, let me guess now, the War of 5 Queens this time, + Jon & Little Finger somewhere in there.
    Last edited by demagogue; 28th Jun 2016 at 08:38.

Have to say that season 6 was far better than season 5 of GOT. Last 2 episodes were quite epic.

Chakat sex pillow
    For all the narrative shortcuts and convenient coincidences, season 6 was heavy on moving pieces forward for the endgame with spectacular set pieces. I admire it for the sheer amount of entertainment spilling out of the screen, even if it's shorn itself of some of the character depth in the process. Hopefully there's more time to justify the plot with character moments in S7 like they almost managed with Sandor Clegane and Reverend Swearengen in S6's opening.

Well at least one Northern Kingdom made the right decision to leave the union.

I really like How I Met Your Mother, it's one of my favorite comedy shows ever. But man, that rhyming episode in the last season was really annoying...

Final season of Person of Interest. I love this show, it might even be my all-time favourite, and I was heartbroken when it was announced that it was going to end, but also slightly relieved, considering that later seasons' Samaritan plot was such an immense threat that I knew there was no way they could escalate with future plotlines. Then this season only got 13 episodes instead of the full 22-23. Normally I love shorter seasons, but this particular season could've done with a little more. I was so happy when Elias came back, and then he got barely got any screentime. I'm fairly sure that he had a subplot that got cut. And I loved the idea of bringing previous supporting characters back (the Voice, Logan Pierce, Jimmy, and Harper) but I missed seeing two standouts who really ought to have showed up one last time: Zoe Morgan and Leon Tao. But, on the positive side ... I don't think I ever realised how much these characters had grown on me over the course of the show. The episode with Shaw going through simulations almost broke me, even though I was suspicious about its canonicity from the start. I was outraged when Fusco left the team, and I came so close to actually crying when Root and Reese died. Michael Emerson delivered the best performance this season, though, by far. His transformation from the reclusive mastermind to a ruthless and terrifyingly capable solo hero was intense and amazing to see, and the way it was done - the "I'm done playing by the rules" scene - was perfect. Really made me understand how Root and the Machine see him as something greater than 'god'. Other amazing performances: hell, everyone. I only just remembered how much I missed Sarah Shahi on this show. Hell, she and Amy Acker produced a beautiful and fairly believable love story between a misanthropic sociopath and a violent villain-turned-hero. Also Kevin Chapman, while often relegated to comic relief, is also impressively good in his dramatic scenes, case in point the scene from a couple seasons ago where he avenges Carter's death and brings in Simmons as well as this seasons' scenes where you really see the friction between Fusco and the rest of the team who are 'in' on the Machine's existence. And finally, Jim Caviezel was pure quality throughout the season - and through the show as a whole. Though he didn't have any scenes as powerful as during his hunt for Carter's killers or receive much background exposition, he did have the honour of saving the world in the finale - which was a tad predictable but also really well done. On the whole, a fantastic, if slightly rushed, send-off to a much beloved and near-perfect show. Goodbye, Person of Interest.

Also! I binged 11.22.63 over three days. Could've done it in one but I wanted to let it sink in. Stands well on its own; when compared to the book, still decent but, in the words of Sadie Dunhill, the book is always better. Somehow the show pulls off the bland character of Jake Amberson/Epping - probably due to James Franco, who brings surprising feeling and conviction. George MacKay does a great job as the redneck sidekick, but somehow his plotline always feels as if I missed a scene or two of character development. Also his ridiculous accent slips on occasion. Sarah Gadon is decent as Sadie, her real strength being her chemistry with Franco. Honestly, the real standout of the show is Daniel Webber as Lee Harvey Oswald. He steals every scene he's in and his character really comes to life. I'll admit I don't know too much about Oswald in real life, but the depiction here is a complex and interesting character. He's fun as hell to watch. I don't really like the changes made to the plot from the book: I understand that Bill's role was expanded to prevent Jake from hogging too much screen time but his plot was boring as hell and led to a dead end (although his final scene was actually quite good). Jake following George around felt like it was just padding out the story. The fact that the Yellow Card Man's whole storyline was altered renders it completely incomprehensible. Making the whole show one long journey as opposed to breaking it up into two or three like the book makes sense, pacing-wise, but I disliked that idea. All in all, a good watch on its own, as long as you don't expect it to be too faithful.

Agreed on person of interest. It was a strangely low-key season that only reached epic heights towards the end, and even then it didn't quite reach the level of excitement created by many of the other season endings, but it was a fitting conclusion. There were definitely some scenes I would've liked to see that didn't make it in (Fusco's reaction to finally being let in on it), and I thought it was a bit strange that they'd have number of the week episodes (like the wedding one) in a shortened conclusion season when the show had already become so serialized, but it was cool on the whole.

is Best Pony
    I adore Person of Interest! Only about a third of the way through Season 3, but it really kicked up a notch after the end of Season 2.

Oh man. You're in for it now. S3 is easily the best. I'd put S5 up there as second though.

Just watched ep 6 of latest season of Orange is the new Black. This is really one of the better shows I've seen, continuously hitting high notes one after another. My sister has been raving about the season finale so I'm excited to see how it all pans out.

EDIT: just finished Ep 7. Damn, I love how this show manages to really flesh out and humanize a surprisingly big cast of characters, without wasting exposition time or spreading itself thin.
    Last edited by Yakoob; 7th Jul 2016 at 00:46.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Game of Thrones S3-5 - HOLY SHIT

Game of Thrones S6, The Door episode - I'd heard vague spoilers for this one, but nothing I'd imagined lived up to the insanity of what actually happened. HOLY SHIT

The Fault In Our Stars - A very good adaptation of one of the few books I've read in recent times. Tragic and romantic.

Bullet To The Head - slightly less romantic. And the only tragedy here is the continual fall of the once-great Walter Hill. Still, this was more or less what I expect and wanted from it. Sly Stallone putting a whole buncha bullets in a whole buncha heads.

Also I went to the fleamarket today and found blurays of Nikita (early Luc Beson movie. seen it before, it's great), Maniac Cop (which I've somehow never seen), and Close Range (recent Scott Adkins b-movie action shlock. The finest of shlocks.)

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    The Fault In Our Stars
    Went to see that one with the fiance a few years ago (to make her happy) at the cinema.

Was an alright movie I guess. Many people roared with laughter after a female audience person started wailing after the male lead guy died. That was amusing.

Page 128 of 206 FirstFirst ... 287883889398103108113118123124125126127128129130131132133138143148153158163168173178 ... LastLast