TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Well, so Halt & Catch Fire was the best tv show this year. Season 3 started off as just good. The last 4-5 episodes elevated to outstanding. It's very much character and relationship based storytelling, which is a nice change from plot based shows. And the finale was a bottle episode, almost like live theatre, where the show returned to its roots in focusing on pure tech and the core characters interacting.

I think you all remember, but the early 90s saw some pretty radical changes that came fast and totalizing. I remember switching from a C64 to Win95 and a CD with Netscape basically overnight. That's where this show is, and it's playing up how crazy that time was.

You'd love "Parker Lewis Can't Lose" then. Came out around the same time.

On my end, finished going through all the seasons of "Secret Life of Us" (been watching it bit by bit over the past few months). Overall an excellent show. Best around seasons 2-3. The final season starts with THE WORST first episode I have ever seen in a show. The final season didn't improve for a good while after that, but did get better by around the middle. The main issue was that around 90% of the cast either got fired or quit in between seasons 3 and 4, so the vast majority of the cast is all new people, with no explanation given of what happened to the missing cast members. And they never explain it. So odd. Some extra long time cast disappear later on, and again it's never explained. Not even a mention by anyone of where the person went.

So with Freddy's Nightmares done I was in need of a new show to watch, so started watching "Westworld" after all the positive press lately. 1 episode in I have to say it's pretty good. I like the gaming angle to it all, and the underlying feeling that something big is coming. Might also get into "Ash vs Evil Dead" since that recently went into it's second season.

Moderator and Priest
    Ash vs. Evil Dead, you say?

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    You'd love "Parker Lewis Can't Lose" then. Came out around the same time.
    Lul, yeah I know. I was there.

HACF is very much an 80s period show, so there's mixed feelings by fans about it moving to the 90s. But, I mean, Internet. Tech revolutions can't get bigger than that.

This.

Moderator and Priest
    Need more convincing, Icemann?

The Night Of. Great show, depressing and gritty in all the right ways, and feels very real. Fantastic performances all around from everyone but a special shout-out to John Turturro, Riz Ahmed and Amara Karan. 8/10

For some reason, I keep confusing Westworld and Waterworld ... In any case, my confusion was cleared when I googled Westworld and saw that Jonathan Nolan was attached. Instant watch. After Person of Interest, I'm a slave to the man.

The Expanse (season 1 on DVD). I am totally hooked and waiting for season 2's premiere. I was trying to describe the overall plot, then realized that Wiki does a better job than I.

'The Expanse is an American space opera / mystery science fiction drama television series on Syfy, based on the series of novels by James S. A. Corey. Set in a future where humanity has colonized the Solar System, it follows United Nations executive Chrisjen Avasarala (Shohreh Aghdashloo), police detective Josephus Miller (Thomas Jane), and ship's officer Jim Holden (Steven Strait) and his crew as they unravel a conspiracy that threatens peace in the system and the survival of humanity.'

The scenes on the off-world colonies have a Blade Runner-type of ambience, imo, and Thomas Jane is perfect as the detective cop Josephus Miller.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8X5gXIQmY-E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I watched the pilot episodes of 3 high-rated shows tonight. Here's my bullet breakdown.

1. Atlanta. Road to fame story for a guy managing his cousin's rap career. Plays half drama, half comedy. It's not in my ken, but it is funny. The lead is the guy from Community, and it has that kind of alt comedy edge. The characters are perfect for its mix of the straight and the absurd.

2. Deutschland 83, German Ossi spy thriller. Young DDR soldier poses as a BRD soldier to spy and antics ensue. This may be a cultural thing, but there were a bit too many bumbling cartoon antics and montage cuts to take this too seriously. I'll give it some latitude because I find the cold war period endlessly fascinating, and The Americans also started kind of cartoonishly but got better.

3. The Knick. Basically ER set in 1900 NYC. This was the clear winner of the night. Hospital dramas are already well tested fodder, but add the corruption, idealism, & open ethnic & class hostilities of the turn of the century, with this level of production value and cast, and it's just what the doctor ordered.
    Last edited by demagogue; 16th Oct 2016 at 09:43.

I refuse to watch those videos as I don't want spoilers for Ash vs Evil Dead. About to watch the first episode .

[edit]
    Wow that was fantastic . Or should I say "GROOVY".

Absolutely loved the first episode. Back to the Evil Dead 2 style of a mix between horror and comedy. LOVE IT.

I also respect that in the super brief flashback you see bits from Evil Dead 1 & 2. Here I was thinking that the second one was a replacement of sorts of the first. The way the flashback painted it, their both cannon.

Interesting. 3rd movie didn't get a mention though. Maybe later on.

The humor and crazy random shit is from what I've seen, spot on to how it was in the movies. Excellent, excellent stuff. This is going to be fun watching this show. I have high hopes now .
    Last edited by icemann; 16th Oct 2016 at 14:03.

Moderator and Priest
    They couldn't get the rights to Army of Darkness for some reason. Aren't even allowed to mention it. That doesn't stop them from dropping the occasional vague hints towards it, though.

Without getting into spoilers, I'll say this: the last three episodes of the first season are probably the best Evil Dead moments of the entire Evil Dead/AoD canon. Everything goes INSANE, and the 2nd season picks right up from there.

Still Subjective
    Westworld

And soon Black Mirror

verbose douchebag
    All of that stuff about diversity is really concerning. If we're not careful, then eventually, women and LGBT folks will be treated equally to the rest of us

[EDIT] Dammit, wrong post. This was meant to be a response to Tony's "woe is me, businesses are pushing diversity" spiel in the Trump thread.
    Last edited by faetal; 17th Oct 2016 at 13:48.

Heavens!

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    They couldn't get the rights to Army of Darkness for some reason. Aren't even allowed to mention it. That doesn't stop them from dropping the occasional vague hints towards it, though.

Without getting into spoilers, I'll say this: the last three episodes of the first season are probably the best Evil Dead moments of the entire Evil Dead/AoD canon. Everything goes INSANE, and the 2nd season picks right up from there.
    Weirdly I didn't like the show at all. It was like AoD in an Evil Dead setting without the constraints of a small space, and it just didn't work for me. Watched the whole first season and started watching the first episode of season 2 before realizing i kind of hated it and didnt want to see any more.

Moderator and Priest

...eh, to each their own. Though as you can tell, I loved them. To me, it was like the took the best of what made the movies great, and went hog wild with them.

Though to be fair, the last three episodes of the first season do show that ED does hit its best strides when it's at its most claustrophobic.

I watched Paul Verhoeven's first French language movie, ELLE.

Verhoeven learned French to make this movie. He tried to make it in Hollywood, but no actress would accept the part. Isabelle Huppert does a tremendous job with the role.

I don't think this movie could be made in Hollywood. In case of a rape in a movie, you would either get a super depressing drama about a grieving and traumatized woman, or you'd get a revenge movie like I Spit On Your Grave. Nothing wrong with either of those, but the way this movie handles it would not fly well in Hollywood, I believe.

Verhoeven made this movie a character study instead. At first how the victim, played by Huppert, reacts after being raped, seems implausible. Once you get to know what kind of person she is, however, I found it fairly believable that this woman would behave in this way. I also liked how not every event and every line of dialogue was about her character being raped. It's also just telling a story about this troubled woman, how she behaves and why, with various plot lines that show her as a person which don't have much to do with the rape.

I liked it a lot, but it is kind of slow. It's also got a very European sensibility, which may not appeal to everyone. As you can see by the trailer, the main character works for a gaming company, which may increase the appeal for some people here.

If anyone plans to watch it and doesn't speak French, I recommend downloading or streaming it legally. A bad fan sub will ruin this movie for you. I remember being enthusiastic about The Lives of Others (Das Leben der Anderen) and showing it to my friend, only to have it ruined for him with a bad fan sub on his illegal download.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
    As you can see by the trailer, the main character works for a gaming company, which may increase the appeal for some people here.
    I guess the studio is Cyanide, since they're developing Styx? What a bizzare choice to feature a game that actually exists.

Anyway, the movie looks, and sounds, good. I'll keep an eye out for it.

In the movie the company is called N Software, or something. LOL, I seriously didn't even know this was existing game footage, from a real game. While watching I thought they had hired a CGI company to create game-like footage for the movie.

As far as looks and sounds go, say what you want about Paul Verhoeven, but he was always a great stylistic director. I've read a review that said that Isabelle Huppert has never been framed more beautifully than in ELLE. As far as the tough scenes go, I appreciated how Verhoeven neither shies away from showing Huppert's character in anguish, nor lets his camera linger and leer at it like in a cheap exploitation movie.

Westworld: Rather than finish a bona fide western series (Deadwood), HBO makes a new one with robots. This is our world now.

Seriously though, it's starting off like any good robot rebellion show should, so I can't complain.
    Edit: After a few more episodes, I'll give this show credit for being possible the most cliche'd show that's still very original and fresh. The pieces we've all seen before, but it's the mix that's new. (I haven't seen the movie. I imagine it inherits its originality from that.)
    Last edited by demagogue; 17th Oct 2016 at 11:44.

I started on Glitch original Netflix series about six dead people coming back to life and it's pretty intriguing so far. Has a bit of a different vibe than the other "back-from-the-dead" type series, so curious where it goes.

And I jumped back in Dexter, season 6 onwards. Still a good show!

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    And I jumped back in Dexter, season 6 onwards. Still a good show!
    You think so? I only enjoyed seasons 1, 2 and the one with Lithgow and I mildly enjoyed the one with the tick tock guy. The sub-plots, drawn out "trying to be a decent normal guy" and the narration that begins to sound like a repetitive racist cab driver just grated on me.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yeah, it ended up being too shallow and one-note to sustain my interest. It was always pretty flawed and broadly drawn but managed to be interesting up until the completion of the Lithgow arc, then it lost a lot of its shine. How do you develop a psychopath surrounded by paper-thin characters for more than 4 seasons? Apparently, you draw him into soap opera-esque drama.

verbose douchebag
    I went off of Mr Robot for similar reasons.

Yea Dexter suffers from the "could have been 2 seasons shorter" syndrome, which is why I took like a year break before jumping back into it. I had enough after 4-5 season in a row. Right now it's throwing some interesting twists such as Deborah finding out about Dexters killing or putting him in an interesting conflict between falling in love with Hannah and Deborah asking him to kill her.

Felt the same about Breaking Bad, a great series that was too stretched out in places.

Page 132 of 206 FirstFirst ... 3282879297102107112117122127128129130131132133134135136137142147152157162167172177182 ... LastLast