TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

verbose douchebag
    Gryz - I'm intrigued. But more importantly than that, I'm looking for something to watch.

LittleFlower
    Well, I can only recommend Quarry. Three weeks ago I spoke to a friend of mine, and she recommended the series. As always with good series, don't read anything about it, just watch it. It's not a show that only depends on surprises. Nor does it only revolve around the plot. But still, you want to go in with an open mind.

I loved the first season of True Detective. The atmosphere was awesome. Good acting. Beautiful pictures of New Orleans. Lots of suspense, lots of mystery. Unfortunately, all the plot and mystery was bogus. And the last episode was a huge disappointment. At least for me. Still it was worth watching. The second season of True Detective was one of the worst things I've ever watched on TV. It was no surprise that the series is dead.

Quarry has some similarities to True Detective. In stead of New Orleans, the setting is Memphis. Nice pictures. I have once spent a week in Memphis, so maybe it is personal, but I loved seeing the bridge across the Mississippi. Because I've driven over it twenty years ago. There is no hurrying, the scenes take the time necessary. In stead of New Orleans Blues there's a lot of Memphis music in it. The characters are not black&white, but kinds of grey. Good acting. I didn't knew any of the actors, which I always think it is plus. (Looking at the wiki page after I finished the season, it turns out that of course some of the actors in Quarry are known for other stuff they did (including Harry Potter!). There's some historical perspective (Memphis in the early seventies, the Vietnam war in the background, etc).

And there is a plot. The first season wraps up a bunch of threads in a satisfying way. But there are enough leads to continue in a second seasons. There is no announcement for a second season yet. I think Cinemax is not a widely viewed channel, so the series didn't get a lot of hype. Not sure how people are supposed to watch it. (I got it "off the Internet"). Anyway, in contrast of True Detective, I think the final episode is one of the best finales I've seen.

If you have 8 hours to spare, just grab the series and watch it.

Trailer for the first episode (no spoilers).
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 20th Dec 2016 at 16:41.

Southquarter.com/fms
    @Subjeff - I think it strongly implied that it's a near immediate transition from the end of Rogue One to the beginning of Episode 4. If days had passed, surely they would have offloaded the plans somewhere permanent by that point.

Gotta admit, I'm still lost on your Leia theory. She seems very aware early in ANH that the DS plans are important. See her hologram to Obi Wan. Whether the DS can destroy a planet or just a large base like Scarif is immaterial. She was at the battle on Scarif, the plans were beamed to her ship, and she knows it's up to her to get them to someone/anyone in the rebellion before being caught by the Empire.
    Last edited by Brethren; 20th Dec 2016 at 19:31.

Rogue one was everything I liked about star wars, pretty much. Mega bonus points for the Vader pointing scene, I didn't even know he was going to be in it! Also was that James Earl Jones himself?

Moderator and Priest
    Guess I'll be watching Quarry now, based off of Gryz's recommendation.

Still Subjective
    Vivian - yes, it's JEJ doing the voice. I think they should scrap the Solo film and do Boba Fett and Vader stand alone films. Not sure what you mean by "pointing" scene though.

Southquarter.com/fms
    The rumor was that Boba Fett was getting the next standalone movie after Solo's, and after Ep 9 is released. What would be in a Vader movie though? Seems we've covered him fairly extensively so far, from age 9 through death.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Because it's an awesome, awesome show Season 2 did that for me even moreso than first.
    Well, I pretty much binged season 2 as well, and it was dark and comic and deeply sad. Leave it to a cartoon to do a nuanced depiction of what chronic depression looks like, and from Gob Bluth at that. Bojack Horseman has the most incredible voice cast/guest VOs I've ever heard, and even the choice of them is a meta-joke. Who knew Lisa Kudrow could do a lovable, daft yet sensible network exec who was in a 30-year coma with perfect poise? I'm sort of upset that there's no sign of her for season 3, even though it was a guest role.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 21st Dec 2016 at 15:09.

Oh yea, Gob does a phenomenal job, just fits the role so well. Quite a change from Arrested Development. He acted well in Flaked as well, more of a darker tone too, tho I didn't care as much for the show.

Moderator and Priest
    Speaking of which, when is the Arrested Development moving supposed to come out? The Netflix season was meant to serve as the build up to it, but so far...haven't heard a peep.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    What would be in a Vader movie though? Seems we've covered him fairly extensively so far, from age 9 through death.
    Errr, what?

At the end of Ep 3 he becomes Vader. Luke and Leah are born.

In Ep 4 Luke and Leah are how old? 21? 18?

Whatever. That's 15+ years of Vader to draw on but actually you're right there is literally no time there for anything significant or interesting to happen at all. No time. None.

Just finished watching the first season of Westworld...Loved it...Masterful performance from Anthony Hopkins.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    I have a question.

Why the heck did I binge all of the first season of Bojack Horseman this morning and later on in the night? Why did it hit me in the gut so many times? And why did the darker episodes actually have funnier jokes, but then managed to hit harder? It's a goddamn cartoon, what is even happening here.

Okay, so that might not be, um, a question, singular. But I can't help watching this. Next season. Onwards ho!
    Through first episodes of season one I thought this would be just a mix of Californication and The Simpsons with tons of wordplay on animals, but then it turned out to be much more. It gets darker with each season, and I hope the 4th one will be the last one, since it will be really hard for them to keep this study of a downfall this long and interesting. Anyway, it's one of my biggest surprises this year.

Chakat sex pillow
    It's the biggest surprise I've had of any show I've ever watched. It also dawned on me near the end of season 2 that the only other show that's handled the self-destructive spiral as well is Mad Men, and that's privileged company to be in. Turns out Todd VanDerWerff who reviewed Mad Men on avclub feels the same, and articulates the connection better: http://www.vox.com/2015/7/20/9002247...tflix-season-2.

What makes it really special though is that it does all that along with great humour that addresses some really tricky issues (Bill Cosby? Abortion?) with a deft hand, offering biting satire that most comedies wouldn't dare touch. It also has more background gags than I've seen in any other show, so much that I've had to pause and rewind frames to get them all, and I know I still missed a bunch.

They do put a ton of work in this show, it's everything from background posters, book names, and TV live feed to stellar guest cast and switching art styles. E.g. I loved when Wanda started narrating something or telling a joke, and in her imagination everything looked like it was painted in the 50s advertising world.

Of course you'll probably stay to hear what disillusioned 30-50-somethings have to say about life, and as you can guess, it's not going to be nice.

Chakat sex pillow
    Hell, there's no doubt about the work that goes in. That website the food critic mentioned she has in a throwaway line during the restaurant episode? It exists.

As for the ultimate moral of the story, I'm going to hope that it ends on a note like Mad Men did. Happy, but open to interpretation.

I love things like that. I was actually surprised they managed to get so many people to play themselves, often just for ridiculous one-liners, like Paul McCartney with the cake. Still, no one beats Character Actress Margo Martindale.

Chakat sex pillow
    She really does need to be on avclub's list of 20 Actresses That Always Make Everything Better.

I was hoping more than anything that Rogue One would address the design decision to not put safety rails up at the Death Star's superlaser firing station. Oh well.

Just got back from watching Rogue One. Overall I really enjoyed it. Never a dull moment, likeable characters, a good plot and great actors.

There was only 3 things I didn't like about it:

* It doesn't start with the usual text going down the screen with the theme playing
    * The CGI versions of Leia and Tarkin. Both looked VERY out of place. They REALLY stuck out whenever they were on screen. Very obvious CG.
    * When Vader's fleet showed up towards the end, they MASSACRED the rebel ships in seconds. Literally. You don't even get to see the battle almost. Considering how many ships the rebels had, for them to go down so quick I didn't like. Also leaves plot holes for the X-Wings. Though about 5-6 ships made it away just seconds before the fleet showed up, so they could have been on those I assume?

Beyond that, I very much enjoyed it.

Should this one be watched prior to watching episode 4 - If you had never seen the Star Wars movies before then no. Otherwise yes. It does go some ways to connecting the prequels with the originals, and I LOVED the use of video bits from some of the X-Wing pilots seen in episode 4. We're now just missing a movie set between this one and Revenge of the Sith to fill in the missing 16 years. That 16 I'm taking from the events of the start of the movie (which I'm presuming occurred directly after ROTS) and the amount of time the main character mentioned being the time difference being after the jump ahead in time.

Vader was awesome.

9/10. Need to re-watch this at a later point. I walked away from this one happier than with the Force Awakens oddly.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    * When Vader's fleet showed up towards the end, they MASSACRED the rebel ships in seconds. Literally. You don't even get to see the battle almost. Considering how many ships the rebels had, for them to go down so quick I didn't like. Also leaves plot holes for the X-Wings. Though about 5-6 ships made it away just seconds before the fleet showed up, so they could have been on those I assume?
    I'm not quite sure why you'd expect the rebel ships remaining after the general retreat was ordered - ships that are disabled or otherwise too damaged to escape - would still put up a big fight? Also, don't forget that X-wings (unlike basic tie-fighters) are independently hyperspace capable; they don't need a ride to escape.

Ah. Forgot that bit. Fair enough. Good movie anyway .

So The OA is for the Millennials as Stranger Things is to Gen X.
    Watched the first episode and some of the second and I guess it's pretty clear which camp I'm in since just about every scene annoyed me.
    Then I watched an episode of Stranger Things again to compare, and now I'm watching that series over again.
    The contrast really stands out. Every scene is great.
    Just as good watching it the second time around.

Still Subjective
    Hmm. Was planning on the OA at some point.

Watching Braindead. Wish I'd watched this before the US elections. Good fun.

From what I've seen/read, The OA is a Marmite series: you love it or you hate it. If I'm not mistaken, fett liked it, and I'd definitely not describe him as a millennial, but the series does seem to veer towards the New Agey, and that's something that quickly annoys the hell out of me.

Page 137 of 188 FirstFirst ... 37879297102107112117122127132133134135136137138139140141142147152157162167172177182187 ... LastLast