TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Episode 9, Season 2 - Easily my favorite episode of the series so far. And it was a non serious one . I've seen body/mind swaps in movies and television all the way back to the Star Trek originals and movies like the change-up etc etc. I always find them to be very amusing, and this episode did not disappoint. Hilarious stuff at points, and who wouldn't do what Crichton did when he was in Ariana's body . Everyone is starting to pair-up which is great + natural.

Great episode .

Level 10,000 achieved
    Having had the Hamilton album on repeat for the past month has instilled in me a thirst. A THIRST THAT ONLY MORE FOUNDING FATHERS MAY QUENCH! So, I'm watching the John Adams HBO miniseries, currently about halfway through. Good stuff. Great actors. David Morse as Washington and Tom Wilkinson as Franklin are particularly fitting matches. And I thought the guy who played Jefferson, Stephen Dillane, was great. I didn't realize until just now that it's the same guy who plays Stannis Baratheon in Game of Thrones! Such a completely different character and performance from Stannis that I couldn't tell it was him. Also good: Laura Linney and Danny Huston, and of course our main man, Paulie G, is always fun to watch.

Production-wise, it's not quite up there with later HBO productions. Some of the scenes feel a bit underpopulated for what they're supposedly portraying, and also whoever is DP has a strange fixation with dutch angles. There's more camera tilting than in a 90's rap video. But the costumes and locales are top-notch. Bonus points for historically-accurate terrible dental hygiene on everyone! The script doesn't pull any punches either, leaning towards realism more than heroic myth-making. John Adams himself certainly has strong, heroic moments in the first couple episodes, but episodes 3 and 4 see him failing in his duties and making and ass of himself while being an ambassador to Europe. Also the guy is a real dick to his kids, treating them more as pawns in his political games than as... y'know, his children.

Anyway, so far, so good!

And just got back (after having my car towed home due to a bad alternator, grr) from watching the movie "Collateral Beauty".

The trailer that I watched prior to seeing this was of a guy whose daughter passed away and in his depressed/crazed state his mind creates persona's of his emotions to help him get better. That's not what happened in this. Well sort of, but not.

Instead it's about the higher ups in his company, wanting to "prove" his madness so that they can benefit financially. Considering the subject matter, that is just REALLY messed up, and no sob side stories can make up for that. For most of the movie I was REALLY pissed off at the company people, and whilst Will Smith + the cast give great performances, it's a really dark movie. And to top it off, this was supposed to be set around Christmas. How the fuck is this supposed to be a movie appropriate to the Christmas spirit. It's not.

I think the movie that in the trailer (the one I watched, I dunno about the others put out there) it presented a FAR better movie, as it would have gone in a ways with "a Christmas carol", except in this movies case with the ghosts of Christmas time, death and love, and that would have made for potentially a great movie. What we got was not that. This is worth a watch once, but not more than that.

4/10

Chakat sex pillow
    I watched The Man in the High Castle S1 and... so close, but no. It seems like it misunderstands the source material to varying degrees. I haven't read the book in a long, long time, so I don't remember much of the details, but the one part that stood out for me in all of it was Tagomi's arc and the question of his destiny with the I Ching; the fact that multiple characters' destinies collide and coincide is brought to a head in the book towards the end and is symbolised by the pin (a locket, here) that Tagomi focuses on in an attempt to seek its wu... and all of that was handled fairly badly here. I don't think the show creators even understand what wu is in the context of the book. There is barely the same sort of crisis of faith that leads to Tagomi forcing his consciousness on the locket, which in the book is almost painful in its palpability. The way the series took that and ended the season with his 'vision'... sigh. No.

So close, but no.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 14th Jan 2017 at 08:09. Reason: spalling

More of what you describe is in the second season, where Tagami has to deal with his mirror life and the cross world intersections, eg with Juliana, play a bigger role.

I think the show has too much territory it wants to cover without too much time to do it. I still really like it, although I didn't read the book so come into it as its own work.

Chakat sex pillow
    Hmm. I'm going to see where they took S2, which is bound to be a bit different considering Amazon hasn't replaced Spotnitz's showrunner position. FWIW, the book doesn't really pursue that direction because the episode Tagomi has is more an evocation of wu wei and ultimately faith in the nature of the world and the things in it. It's a pretty great book, but you might get some quirked eyebrows if your friends in Japan have also read it and see you reading it, since its observations of Japanese culture (in the 60s, natch) are pretty direct.

What's everyone's opinion about Birdman? I myself couldn't quite put my finger of it, but it was pretty tiring to watch. It's very clever, that's for sure, but it was the kind of movie I admired more than I actually enjoyed watching it.

I wonder if I would have liked it more if it was just about a has-been actor trying to be relevant again by directing and acting in a semi-pretentious play on Broadway without the addition of the Birdman voice and delusions, and the ambiguous ending about whether he could really fly.

I appreciated the unusual, off-kilter jokes, but when it comes to movies with an offbeat sense of humor, I had a lot more fun with The Nice Guys, which was right up my alley. <3 Shane Black.

I enjoyed Birdman but then I was still smoking pot at the time... or was it huffing NO2? Anyway, I thought it's cleverness served the story and supported the continuous chatter of Keaton's internal dialogue, kind of a bubbling soup of his self indulgence in which morsels of incidental genius occasionally surfaced. It's a difficult balance, to portray self-centerdness and yet elicit sympathy. Ditto acting about acting. Keaton isn't an actor I go out of my way to like but I thought he handled it masterfully.

Meanwhile, on the documentary front...

I recommended this series to an enthusiastic student of high school social science / history. It might be a bit too plodding for a modern audience but I think it provides a helpful context for new students of history, faced with assembling their fractured curriculum into some sort of big picture.

I quite liked the first half of Birdman. Second half I'm half half on.

Level 10,000 achieved
    HALF-HALF ON THE SECOND HALF, YOU SAY?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicker View Post
    I enjoyed Birdman but then I was still smoking pot at the time... or was it huffing NO2?
    Hah. I've seen Birdman 3 or 4 times, enjoyed it a lot, and was drunk or at least slightly tipsy on each viewing. Might be that it's a movie that works best if you're under the infulence.

Chakat sex pillow
    Actually, yes, Birdman would be a markedly better experience if you were buzzed, high, or stoned while watching it. That would explain some of the Academy hoopla around it, anyway. It was a decent movie with some good licks at whatever its targets were (I fail to remember what those were exactly, quite possibly because I was buzzed at the time), though why Iñárritu chose to make the presentation as technically challenging as possible for little to none thematic impact is anyone's guess.

I liked the ambiguity of the ending, though. That's probably because I'm a sucker for that sort of thing usually; I'd rather have something that's thematically complex and open to interpretation than pat happy/sad resolutions* -- and it works in comedy, too! Like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Is that the benchmark for happy yet depressing endings once you work out how fucked the protagonists actually were? I think it probably is.

*Though, of course, Birdman's is arguably just a downer ending drenched in lysergic overtones.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 14th Jan 2017 at 14:25.

I rewatched A Serious Man recently and I think it's still my favorite of the Cohen movies. Has a bit of a different style, and bring sup interesting existential points/questions. I love the ending too, at first it's a bit of an abrupt but it beautifully illustrate's the movie's whole point.

Kimiko, Treasure Hunter has a Birdman-like ending, teetering between serious downer and jubulant fantasy. I liked it better too, although you have to be in an indie mood for it maybe.

I didn't appreciate Birdman as much until reading a review later which highlighted how much it was shot like live theatre, following our protagonist in long single shots. I saw it on a transPacific flight, so was predisposed to liking it maybe. I liked it mainly because it was so assertively different from mainstream movies, and Michael Keeton has a manner that makes you want to root for him. It's special, but not a classic and didn't stick with me.

More generally I like to support the Three Amigo films, of whom Innaritu is one. (That reminds me that the girl from Babel is the lead in Kimiko TH, probably another reason I liked it.) I hope our Duck joins their ranks someday.

I did a Coen Bros binge recenly, and A Serious Man was high in the ranks. It felt like the most autobiographical of them, and was a fun kind of moral tale. I also want to make a mystical book like the uncle, the whatsit mentaculum, and like how absurd the movie makes it look. So it gets props for that.

I've been watching a comedy skit channel. They have pretty good production values and the writing is not too bad either, but for some reason it's not gotten popular yet.

Here's one on Half-Life:

Last edited by Starker; 15th Jan 2017 at 07:33.

And here's one on No Man's Sky:

Thanks for your opinions. I recognize Birdman as a good movie. The fact that I didn't enjoy it as much as other people have lies more with me than with the movie.

I've just finished watching the first season of The Young Pope (HBO) and the third (the last) season of The Fall (BBC).

Both shows were great. And The Fall (as a whole) is definitely one of the best crime series in the last few years. Incredible.

is Best Pony
    Did you feel that the third season stayed strong, bukary? I didn't watch The Fall myself (even though I have a distant relative acting in it) but heard some poor reviews of the last season.

Chakat sex pillow
    'I'm tempted to say that entrusting our guidance to a small, paper man seems like a bad idea, but... it's the best bad idea we have.'

It's tragic that no one here seems to have seen Kubo and the Two Strings. It's beautiful, melancholy, and lovingly crafted. It's quite possible that there's no studio to rival what Laika does at this point with stop-motion animation.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 21st Jan 2017 at 06:47.

Kubo was really great but I only heard of it a few days before its release and it barely stayed up two weeks in our cinemas
    I'm not one to usually encourage any form of marketing but I think they seriously cocked up that one.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I watched Batman v Superman, for some reason.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Briareos H View Post
    Kubo was really great but I only heard of it a few days before its release and it barely stayed up two weeks in our cinemas
    I'm not one to usually encourage any form of marketing but I think they seriously cocked up that one.
    This is unfortunately true, I don't think there was any marketing here to begin with. It'll go down as a cult favourite, which is sad considering it's far stronger in its themes of coming of age and coming to terms with loss than anything else released in a while.

henke: MARTHAAAA!

Level 10,000 achieved
    ok

Started on Louie and 3 episodes in. I wish it followed more of a plot line, could do without the standup comedy gig. But it got a few chuckes so far and is the perfect dark humor for my taste!

Season 2 of Farscape complete. Damn that was an improvement over the first season. It does start off meh, but then shortly after significantly improves, and by the end it's damn fine stuff. As far as season enders go, the 4 part finale was excellent. Better than a few of the Star Trek's have done as season enders (for individual seasons). Love how the finale brought together elements present in seasons 1-2.

Onto season 3.

Page 139 of 205 FirstFirst ... 39899499104109114119124129134135136137138139140141142143144149154159164169174179184189 ... LastLast