TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 14 of 205 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819242934394449545964114 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Yeah, some of the songs were very shoe-horned whereas the second season's are far more organic... but for obvious reasons, there are less of them.

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    Don't bother. Its overhyped.
    I liked it, actually.

Anyway, watched A Scanner Darkly again over the weekend. God damn it why do I keep watching this? It only depresses the hell out of me for a whole bunch of reasons, some of them rather personal. And yet I love it.

I don't remember The Machinist being overhyped, outside of Bale's performance perhaps which showed considerable commitment to the role. However the movie was more of an atmospheric study than anything else.

Still Subjective
    Oh it looked great, it was dripping with atmosphere, Bale was good and I felt things watching this. But the conclusion, as so often is the case, was as dull as the beautifully melancholy skies in the film.

RE: A Scanner Darkly. Yes, there is something crushingly depressing about it (and the book) but I can't deny its lure. But it was PKDs most personal story and the book has an appendix with a list of his pals who were fucked by drug taking. PKD was a big abuser and many of his stories explore the use of drugs/reality "shifts". Which, though I love him, gets a bit tired after a while.

Someone make a Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch movie, faithfully like a Scanner Darkly was done please, and see everyone vomit/head asplode and critics just submit blank sheets as their reviews.

is Best Pony
    Hey, I bought A Scanner Darkly a couple of weeks ago. I must get around to watching it. And Babylon 5, once I figure out whether I start with Series 1 or 'In the Beginning'.

Still Subjective
    If you've read the book I'd be interested in your take on A Scanner.

is Best Pony
    I haven't read it yet, actually - I'm a little uncertain as to whether I should do so before or after watching the film.

I watched a bunch of old films lately including one that I really liked called Passion in the Desert. It's about a French soldier who gets lost in the desert and develops a bond with a wild Leopard. It was quie moving and amazing. I think it was based on a work by Balzac. I highly recommend it.
    The last film I watched was also quite good, it's an Italian film called Signor Robinson, a comedy film with a modern take on the Swiss Family Robinson. Quite funny and entertaining.

Taking the Death Toll
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    I haven't read it yet, actually - I'm a little uncertain as to whether I should do so before or after watching the film.
    I'm not sure it really matters, since the film is extremely faithful to the book.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Battlestar Galactica, Season 2. Last night I was gonna watch an episode of it but somehow ended up watching three. Damn exciting stuff.

other stuff I've seen over the past week: The Hidden Fortress, The Hustler, Tropic Thunder(again), Lord of War, Django, Dumb & Dumber(again),

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    I'm not sure it really matters, since the film is extremely faithful to the book.
    Which is to its credit. The feel is just right imho. This is one time when you really don't need to read the book if you see the film because although they can't cram everything in there all the major stuff is there and well enough explored.

dethtoll - did you ever read The 3 Stigmata? Don't you think it would make an insane film?

Another positive opinion of the A Scanner Darkly film here. Was pleasantly surprised at how engaging (and funny!) I found it.

Life on Mars ended up being a disappointment for me - it never grows or develops. It sets out a formula in its second episode that (with one or two episode exceptions) it tirelessly follows every single time. The characters act the same, have the same confrontations, reach the same conclusions. The sci-fi element is kind of shoehorned in and dealt with rather dismissively. It's not a bad show, mind you - it just doesn't really go anywhere. Kind of like Monk. Though to LOM's credit, they stopped at 16 episodes rather than having 118 like Monk.

Also just had to watch Breathless for a class. I frankly failed to see what was so impressive about it, but I imagine that this is due to ignorance on my part - hopefully I can appreciate it more come the lecture on Friday.

I can't remember much about Scanner Darkly except it was quite visually neat and <3 Downey Jr.

Anyway, last two episodes of Conchords were fucking hilarious - the NZ PM visiting and the epileptic dog ones. God, I was in tears.

I'm currently watching the latest episode of Stargate Universe. I'm losing interest in a hurry. The characters are bland, and their actions are spontaneous and out of nowhere, for no real reason.

Here, let me list the characters and their personalities:

1. The Scottish Guy - Probably the only cool guy on the show, because he seemed like he had some kind of secret plans and was selfish but in the latest episode, he selflessly asked the Captain to take his name off the list. Now, he could have been trying some trickery, but it sounds to me like he was being selfless, and that sucks. He was cool as a selfish asshole who everyone needed to survive.

2. The Captain - The leader-guy. Something about his wife. Selfless all the time, the quintessential leader, it's been done. Who cares?

3. Eli - The fat genius guy who sucks. Yeah, he's a nice guy, but that just makes him a wanna-be Hurley from Lost.

4. The young soldier who always gets laid - he always seems to know everything, like he's really smart, and he plays the part of the hot, young guy who always gets laid, the sensitive guy for the ladies, the asshole young soldier, the tough-but-earnest young soldier... seriously, his personality is all over the damn place. It's like they don't know what they want him to be, and instead twist him into some kind of Gary Stu.

5. Girl Eli has crush on but who sleeps with the young soldier guy - Did they bring condoms along for their trip? I'd like to know how it is that, not only do they not consider consequences, but I doubt that there will be any (though I guess if you're gonna die, you may as well have a last romp with the hottest piece you can grab). Plus, she's just whiny all the time, so who cares?

6. The young black soldier - he's kind of an asshole, and that's kind of cool, but I think he's more a failed badass than an intentional asshole

7. Assorted other characters with no personality to speak of

Can someone give me a heads-up on what I'm missing, here? Are these characters just so subtle that their unique and complex personalities just blind me with their awesomeness? Because I'm really, really not feeling it. Everyone's such a saint, such the perfect, near-flawless individual.

Compare this to Lost's characters, each of which have a unique personality and multiple quirks, with no one really being the absolute "good guy," save the superstitious and insane Hurley.

Thoughts?

Taking the Death Toll
    trying to figure out your post and all i can decide on is that you want all the characters to be selfish assholes

is this accurate

More, I want them to not all be selfless, flawless, one-dimensional clichés. Too much to ask?

Tonight I watched the most excellent Moon with Sam Rockwell - a gorgeously shot and acted film with yet another haunting score from Clint Mansell.

To balance that out, the new SGU was very very good aswell and I'm liking the new way the show is being filmed not to mention the other side of that "Universe" (no pun) which has never been explored. Ie: the effects on people.

I've been thinking of grabbing the Firefly boxset down at HMV tomorrow since its been yonks since I caught that and got into an argument today about Nathan Zillion and how he would be a better Green Lantern...

Administrator
    I like that so far SGU has been almost exclusively about the situation and the characters - rather than being about strange alien races at every opportunity. I imagine that they'll probably appear at some point but the fact that the writers haven't taken that approach immediately is encouraging.

I watched a Russian film by a Polish director. It's called Dejavu. It's half in Russian and half in English since it's about an American hitman sent to Ukraine to assassinate a person who's betrayed the Mafia. It sounds pretty serious but it's really a comedy. It was hilarious, couldn't stop laughing. It's not that old, from 1989.

I went to see Zombieland last night.

That was the most fun I've had at a movie since 2007.

Taking the Death Toll
    Re-watched Land of the Dead (my second favourite of the Dead series after the original Night) partially for kicks and partially 'cuz there was a bag of popcorn that needed eating. And partially 'cuz Halloween is almost here and I'm in a zombie mood lately.

Bit of an underwhelming end to Conchords, but I suppose it had to go that way. Good two seasons while it lasted.

No TV to watch at the moment. Nothing lined up.

At a bit of a loss really!

i'm, uh, rewatching DS9...

and then I guess I'll watch battlestar, since it is, apparently, the greatest television show ever concieved

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    At a bit of a loss really!
    Mad Men. Srsly. Don't let fonz's hyperbolic fanlove (or Aerothorn's reductionist apathy) turn you off, it really is a flat out amazing fucking show. It is a slow burn, but it's entirely a character piece with no driving overarching mysteries or anything (not to say there are no mysteries, because there is one. But it's not what the show is about).

Yeah okay, acquiring now.

Page 14 of 205 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819242934394449545964114 ... LastLast