TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Okay, seen quite a few in the last few weeks.

Silence - enjoyed this quite a bit and was thought-provoking afterward, bit mystified by the lack of awards recognition, as Andrew Garfield I think gives at least as good a performance as his Oscar-nominated one in Hacksaw Ridge. Only doubt I had was the introduction of the voice of God towards the end, and the lengthy epilogue.

La-La Land - been covered enough all over the place I think, and I get the backlash for various reasons, but I went with it and found it a pretty magical experience overall.

Manchester By The Sea - just great storytelling, acting, character work. Very real and touching. Loved it!

Hacksaw Ridge - rather cheesy first half but pretty much made up for it in the second, another classy performance from Mr. Garfield. As a character study, makes an interesting comparison with Silence in some ways re. faith, struggle, brutality etc. Rewatched Apocalypto recently. Mel Gibson really likes his violence, doesn't he?

Lego Batman - great fun, much like the Lego movie (obvs) with good turns from Arrested Development alumni Arnett and Cera as Batman and Robin.

They about to close several cinemas in my city in favour for the multiplexes in the outskirts, and the latter show a bunch of films only in German, which sucks. Here's hoping it won't be quite as bad as I fear - doubly so because I definitely want to go to the cinema more often than I did last year.

Also, we're slowly getting to the point where we started with Doctor Who (namely when Capaldi started), and while I wasn't a big fan of Matt Smith's Doctor at the beginning, he's definitely grown on me. We just watched "The Angels Take Manhattan", which (in spite of a couple of logic holes) I enjoyed a lot.

Capaldi gets better from his second season onward. That said, his turn of it just lacks a little of the magic of the Smith and Tennant era's imo.

Capaldi does have good episodes, but when you compare them to some of the best of Tennant and Smith, it's just not on that same scale. Smith's era in particular had the really good supporting cast combo to go with it.

The recent christmas special was pretty good, must say. Cheesy, but good.

Oh, I like Capaldi, though I wonder how I would've reacted to him if he hadn't been my 'first' Doctor. Same with Clara, really. I only watched the other (new) Doctors afterwards, and to some extent interspersed, as we tried to catch up somewhat between Capaldi's first and second season.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Remember when stories didn't explain their mysteries and it was great because you could just imagine?
    Yeah, it's like 'show, don't tell' is an axiom that people collectively chose to forget for some reason. I think it's time science fiction movies started taking a page out of the better-written sci-fi shorts of the last century. That well can't all be just Philip K. Dick, I don't think.

To be fair, my favourite movie about first contact is, well, Contact, and it does do too much explaining at times, but the key feature of that movie was its exploration of the situation from a political and religious perspective with fairly well-written characters, not the actual science (though it went to some lengths to keep things accurate). Arrival didn't have any interesting personalities to twist its story around either, so it ended up being a fairly flat if well-produced experience, all in all.

El Shagmeister

Binging on Steven Universe, awwww yisss. Currently on the 2nd season.

Also, enjoying the 3rd season of Black Sails. Go Blackbeard!

Watched Lego Batman. Man, the sound of whooshing references I just don't get. I'm usually the one getting them, and to be fair, I got a lot, but... Apparently Condiment King really was a thing at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDuck View Post
    Also, enjoying the 3rd season of Black Sails. Go Blackbeard!
    Me, I've just watched episode 3 of Black Sails season 4. Sorry to say, Blackbeard is now gone. And in one of the most disgusting ways possible, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Stein;s Gate is what I'd call a guilty pleasure. Okarin's personality is occasionally rage-inducing, while at least one of the characters is pretty transparently aimed at eliciting a moe-like outlook. I've already seen one other series that idealises the whole Chuunibyou/socially retarded aspect of some characters, and the idea that immaturity should be held onto as a coping mechanism makes me shrug at best, roll my eyes at worst.

Despite all that, I liked it for what it was even though not all of the show was quality, and I liked it enough to get the original VN on Steam (though I've yet to play it). It's enjoyable while you're watching it, which is good enough I suppose; though I'd say The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is the benchmark for slice of life anime time-travel stories.
    I will have to give The Girl Who Leapt Through Time a shot. I liked Steins;Gate as time travel is really the vehicle to tell a story of loyalty and love but kept it interesting with the time travel twists. Not deep, but I thought it was quality.

Speaking of quality, I'm now revisiting Ninja Scroll before I start Basilisk (which I've not seen)

Chakat sex pillow
    Aye, that's usually the mark of great sci-fi, where the heart of the story isn't in just the gimmick/conceit, like time travel, but also in examining its characters and society as an outcome of it. I wasn't so much a fan of Stein;s Gate's characters for some of the reasons I mentioned, but I like that it had a lot of heart despite that. It was definitely fun and even a fair bit moving towards the end. However, it's still not something I'm likely to show someone who isn't already a fan of anime. (Also, Ninja Scrolls! Yes! I need to round up a list of things to revisit myself, it's been more than a decade since I saw the likes of NS and Vampire Hunter D.)

While we're at it, I have to say while I don't respond to everyone's posts here, I enjoy reading your thoughts on these things, since they can push me to see stuff I normally wouldn't. For instance, while a friend did recommend Manchester by the Sea to me last week, Fingernail's post has bumped it up into the 'watch soonish' queue. So thanks for that, folks.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 16th Feb 2017 at 06:39.

Moderator and Priest
    I just watched a couple of episodes of Rick and Marty. Up until this moment, I thought it was some particularly funny kid's cartoon, like Gravity Falls and whatnot.

...it isn't.

It is funny, though.

Moderator and Priest
    Yes. Yes it is.

SEXUAL HANGUPS IN THE PLEASURE CHAMBER ARE PUNISHABLE BY DEATH!

The Venture Bros. is also not too bad, if you're into that sort of thing and/or old enough to remember 90s cartoons. Oh, and be sure to watch Archer, if you haven't yet.

Moderator and Priest
    I loved the Venture Bros. Still haven't taken the time out to catch Archer yet, though.

I watched the first episode of Legion over the weekend, an X-Men-related TV series by Noah Fawley, the guy who's doing the Fargo series. Judging from that one episode, it's going to be a wild ride and very different from any other comicbook/superhero IP. Stylistically and thematically it reminded me a fair bit of the British series Utopia, which IMO is a Good Thing - though Utopia faltered in its second season and was cancelled before it could come to a satisfying end.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Still haven't taken the time out to catch Archer yet, though.
    Chop-chop. ASAP.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    Upstream Color by Shane Carruth. It's about (violation of) personal identity ... I think
    It's about much more than that.

Loved this film. Can't wait for his next.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Yeah, I loved the entire opening premise of Arrival, which started it off as about the most believable alien contact scenario ever put to film, and then it takes it in about the stupidest direction it could go. I couldn't get over that for the same reason. Not believable even under scifi miracle-science rules.
    Say what?

This was a great film. Best sci-fi in years and years!

I watched Sunshine again. Great idea, such a weak ending.

It was a great scifi, I just didn't like that one punchline. And even that wasn't bad, just streched suspension of disbelief. The story itself and execution were top notch.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Watched a couple British movies which I think have kinda flown under the radar, at least I hadn't heard much about them, but I greatly enjoyed both.

Kingsman - Pretty by-the-numbers spy stuff really, but with some engaging performances and stellar action scenes. Who knew Colin Firth was such a badass? There's in particular a scene in a church which is amazingly energetic and violent and beautifully choreographed. I won't spoil that one, but here's another good one:

Grimsby - Sacha Baron Cohen/Mark Strong action-comedy. Nice to see a comedy which isn't just lightly-edited improv but actually uses the medium of cinema to convey it's jokes through visuals. And before anyone starts thinking that sound a bit high-brow I'll point out that the funniest scene in the movie is all about elephants fucking. It had me laughing harder than I've laughed at a movie since that scene in Borat where Borat wrestles his manager in the nude. Sacha Baron Cohen, you do know the way to my heart. I was also pleased to see that the action-part of this action-comedy held up. In particular there's a really great first person-sequence at the start of the movie. And later on Scott Adkins shows up and gets to spend a scene doing his thing(kicking people in the face).

Chakat sex pillow
    Saw Logan today. While it's not perfect, it's a great send-off and the closest Marvel has come to The Dark Knight in terms of tone and plumbing darker depths. Both Jackman and Patrick Stewart own this thing completely, and it stands as their most powerful work in the Marvel canon if you can ignore some forced swearing. This also marks quite possibly the first time in a Marvel movie I have ever felt deeply for the principal characters in it: it's raw and brutal and rages desperately against the dying of the light. I had to choke back some feelings near the end. It's a damn, damn fine way for two wonderful actors to bow out of the franchise.

Chakat sex pillow
    Oh, and I also watched Moonlight yesterday. That was, again, some incredibly powerful acting and directing. It's also one of the first mainstream gay movies I've seen that isn't altogether tragic or plays up fluffy stereotypes; it's just raw humanity captured in the very grain of the film stock, framed in a way that lets you see through its characters' eyes. Everybody was amazing here, but the kids who play Chiron, Mahershala Ali who played the kindly trapper, and Naomie Harris as Chiron's mother -- goddamn it all, someone just give them all the awards.

gives me strenth everytime i hear this ... im not a vicdim ... IM A SURVIVOR !!! right dia ? ...lets show them !

Shut the fuck up

Page 141 of 206 FirstFirst ... 419196101106111116121126131136137138139140141142143144145146151156161166171176181186191 ... LastLast