TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

  1. #3576
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    And I don't like whitewashing
    Where was the whitewashing?

    Not Major, surely. She has blue eyes in the original so that body isn't Asian.

    Not Batou because he definitely isn't Asian.

    So who?

  2. #3577
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    If your not aware of where the whitewashing went on, I'd recommend looking at the anime and comparing.

  3. #3578
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    I watched the anime last week.

  4. #3579
    Level 10,000 achieved
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Finland
    I also just came back from seeing Ghost In The Shell. I love the original, have probably seen it 20 times, but let's not pretend it's some perfect movie. Yes, it had amazing action scenes and visuals, and the questions about what it means to be human was nice food for thought, but the story sometimes felt like you had to have read the manga to keep up, it had way too many slow bits, and the ending was pretty limp. The new one is actually better paced and I felt more invested in the Major's story this time. However, it won't win any points for originality. I'm not just talking about it retreading the plot of the original, because to it's credit it deviates a lot from the plot of the '95 movie. But it does feel reminicent of RoboCop, and any number of other "hero with amnesia" action movies. The visuals are great, the action scenes are so-so. The story isn't super-interesting from the get go, but after a turning point halfway through it's quite gripping until the end.

    Bottomline: It's good! Go see it!

    RE: the whitewashing. From a plot-logic standpoint I have no problems with it. The movie makes clear that the Major's current shell does not match her original ethnicity. But from a "wouldn't it be nice if a Japanese actor would've starred in this?" standpoint, I say yes, that would've been nice. But then again, ScarJo does a really good job at the part, so I have no complaints about how it turned out.

  5. #3580
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    Why do people keep saying this?

    Are you all colour blind?

  6. #3581
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    RE: the whitewashing. From a plot-logic standpoint I have no problems with it. The movie makes clear that the Major's current shell does not match her original ethnicity. But from a "wouldn't it be nice if a Japanese actor would've starred in this?" standpoint, I say yes, that would've been nice. But then again, ScarJo does a really good job at the part, so I have no complaints about how it turned out.
    Well, it's always a bit odd when an actor is pretending to be another ethnicity. Think about all those fake Russians etc in American movies. I haven't seen the movie, so I can't really comment on this, but it did strike me as a somewhat odd decision.

  7. #3582
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    Get your eyes checked.

    Easier still - check Major's

  8. #3583
    Level 10,000 achieved
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Finland
    I wouldn't say the color of someone's eyes say much about ethnicity in a movie where people can swap out body parts at will. If the Major's eyes means she's white, then what does Batou's eyes mean?

  9. #3584
    Chakat sex pillow
    Registered: Sep 2006
    Location: not here
    That he's Penguin's son, obviously.

  10. #3585
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2004
    aaaaanyway... I started on the second season of Better Call Saul. my views are basically the same as Breaking Bad - overall good and compelling with excellent cinematography and scenes, good use of tension and mystery. but with a tendency to drag in places and spread out some mundane stuff I dont always find appealing.

    Also watched the first episode of One Punch Man which basically left me thinking "wtf did I just watch?"

  11. #3586
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I wouldn't say the color of someone's eyes say much about ethnicity in a movie where people can swap out body parts at will. If the Major's eyes means she's white, then what does Batou's eyes mean?
    Exactly.

    So what's the fuss about whitewashing? Whatever Major's initial ethnicity the body she had in the 1995 film wasn't Japanese.

    Even if you know nothing about Major's major (lulz) body swapping in the rest of the series (even using a male body) it's clear from both films that pinning down her ethnicity is going to be problematic.

    In fact, given the underlying philosophy of GitS this is the LEAST appropriate or sensible film to be making this fuss about!

    It's dumb as fuck.

  12. #3587
    Chakat sex pillow
    Registered: Sep 2006
    Location: not here
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Also watched the first episode of One Punch Man which basically left me thinking "wtf did I just watch?"
    An argument that crabs need nipples, fukufuku.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 3rd Apr 2017 at 04:14. Reason: fukufuku

  13. #3588
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I wouldn't say the color of someone's eyes say much about ethnicity in a movie where people can swap out body parts at will. If the Major's eyes means she's white, then what does Batou's eyes mean?
    Depends on the movie... in an anime or a manga, usually things like eye and hair colour have very little to do with ethnicity, but in a live action movie based on it, and a sci-fi movie at that, it's a bit more complex. Also, characters having large eyes in anime and manga doesn't usually mean that they are Western/European, whereas it's a much harder sell in a live action movie to have distinctly European looking people play Asian characters.

  14. #3589
    Member
    Registered: Dec 2001
    So, expecting to have Asian cast in a movie that is based on a work that is deeply rooted in Asian/Japanese culture is dumb, any other enlightening thoughts? And speaking of dumb things, the result seems to be like those western remakes of movies such as Ring or Dark Water. Who needs that shit when originals were so much better?

  15. #3590
    Level 10,000 achieved
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Finland
    SubJeff seems to be looking at this from a purely movie-logic standpoint while ignoring any other issues(like representation), whereas you're coming from more a standpoint of "this would be a great opportunity for more diversity in Hollywood movies, so why did we need yet another ScarJo-starring action movie?". And to some extent I agree with both of you.

    But let's set aside these differences and focus on something I'm sure we can all agree on: that Steve Aoki's remix of the GITS theme is BAD ASS.


  16. #3591
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2002
    Location: Girl with the Patreon Tattoo
    (no, it sucks)

    In the manga, Motoko's body is designed to look as generic as possible which, in the context of GITS (i.e. an extremely multi-cultural universe) and of manga in general (i.e. Japanese comic book authors have loved representing main characters of non-asian descent since forever), tends to favour a caucasian appearance. Any asian features would be minor at best.

    Also if a Japanese producer wanted to cast Japanese actors for a local version of Les Misérables, I wouldn't care in the slightest. In fact I would encourage them to do so.
    Last edited by Briareos H; 3rd Apr 2017 at 07:06.

  17. #3592
    Moderator
    Registered: Jan 2003
    Location: NeoTokyo
    Funny I just saw a poster for Les Mis in the train here and was thinking about how the songs must translate into Japanese.

  18. #3593
    Member
    Registered: Oct 2002
    Location: London / London / London
    Just watched life, or sorry (dramatic pause for 20 minutes)... LIFE, to give it it's apparently proper title. For about the first 40 minutes I was very impressed, it's a pretty goddamn legit space horror with an interesting and relatively unusual (for film at least) creature - radial symmetry is cool, it looked pretty planty/animaly/echinoidy/giant-zooplanktony in a way that I dug, but it massively loses its balls in the second half. (Seriously, after the bit where it eats ryan reynolds inside out, slowly, with all the horrible sounds, I thought this was going to be an 80's blob-style freakshow, with people being dissolved whole by this sort of gross jellyfish. But all calvin does after that is sort of hit people a bit and try to stick a pseudopod up their nose or whatever. Lame. Also why the fuck did they have it grow a face? It's supposed to be one big sensory organ, they make a point of reinforcing that. Its entire body serves as an eye, and as a mouth. Why has it got a bilaterally symmetrical head with paired eye-like organs now? That's an eye with eyes.). But that aside, it's one of the better glossy space-monster films, has at least one genuinely disturbing scene, and the setting is really cool. 7/10.

  19. #3594
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    So, expecting to have Asian cast in a movie that is based on a work that is deeply rooted in Asian/Japanese culture is dumb, any other enlightening thoughts?
    Given that the central thread is the nature of existence that transcends bodies, never mind ethnicities, and that Major in the originals is designed to NOT look Japanese (yes, yes she is. She has blue eyes) it seems like nonsense to use this particular film to moan about whitewashing in.

    It's literally the worst film to choose.

    Anything else, anything, would have been better.

    And speaking of dumb things, the result seems to be like those western remakes of movies such as Ring or Dark Water. Who needs that shit when originals were so much better?
    Oh, you won't hear me arguing on this one. I'm totally and completely with you. As much as I enjoy seeing Naomi Watts running about in underwear there was no need, at all, to remake these. To it's credit The Ring is pretty well made. If Ring didn't exist I'd say it The Ring was pretty solid. But the original is SO much better. Dark Water was a bit meh anyway. And The Grudge was a mess, just a better mess than the Sarah Michelle effort. I'm surprised there hasn't been a remake of Shutter.

    And don't get me started on Oldboy.

  20. #3595
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Briareos H View Post
    In the manga, Motoko's body is designed to look as generic as possible which, in the context of GITS (i.e. an extremely multi-cultural universe) and of manga in general (i.e. Japanese comic book authors have loved representing main characters of non-asian descent since forever), tends to favour a caucasian appearance. Any asian features would be minor at best.
    I think Kusanagi had the body of a generically pretty sexbot, if I remember correctly (it has been a while).

    The caucasian appearance can be misleading, since you can have characters who speak fluent Japanese, who have grown up in Japan and whose parents are Japanese and they still look "caucasian". That has more to do with the way manga is stylised than anything else, since the Japanese have no need to make Japanese characters look stereotypically Asian. Of course, that's not to say that there aren't recurring stereotypes -- Japanese characters tend to have slim noses and small chins, whereas foreigners, especially westerners, tend to be stereotyped as having large noses and jaws.

    With Kusanagi, the character is definitely Japanese, though how she looks exactly may be somewhat up in the air, since her body is artificial. And I think she was able to change her eye color as well?

  21. #3596
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2002
    Location: I think I've been here
    Quote Originally Posted by Briareos H View Post
    Also if a Japanese producer wanted to cast Japanese actors for a local version of Les Misérables, I wouldn't care in the slightest. In fact I would encourage them to do so.
    Because no one in the rest of the world would see it anyway. Very much unlike a Hollywood movie.

  22. #3597
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2002
    Location: Girl with the Patreon Tattoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    I think Kusanagi had the body of a generically pretty sexbot, if I remember correctly (it has been a while).

    The caucasian appearance can be misleading, since you can have characters who speak fluent Japanese, who have grown up in Japan and whose parents are Japanese and they still look "caucasian". That has more to do with the way manga is stylised than anything else, since the Japanese have no need to make Japanese characters look stereotypically Asian. Of course, that's not to say that there aren't recurring stereotypes -- Japanese characters tend to have slim noses and small chins, whereas foreigners, especially westerners, tend to be stereotyped as having large noses and jaws.

    With Kusanagi, the character is definitely Japanese, though how she looks exactly may be somewhat up in the air, since her body is artificial. And I think she was able to change her eye color as well?
    Not a sexbot, in my translation the note simply states "a mass production model". I agree with everything else you say (and her brain in the jar is definitely japanese), but still think that with their fetishization of other people, her cyborg model would have very little to no asian features. When it was announced that Johansson would get the role, I thought "oh well, it'll be shit but at least she'll be a good Motoko because she looks boring".

    Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    Because no one in the rest of the world would see it anyway. Very much unlike a Hollywood movie.
    Hm. Following that line of reasoning will inevitably lead to a disagreement between us on the basics of cultural economics and the role of mass media consumption. Not sure I have the spark for that, I'll go back to lurking

  23. #3598
    Member
    Registered: May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Briareos H View Post
    Not a sexbot, in my translation the note simply states "a mass production model".
    Hmm... I don't remember where I got the sexbot thing, I could be misremembering it, but wasn't the translation censored or something? I think it had a bunch of stuff like the lesbian sex scene and whatnot taken out.

  24. #3599
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2002
    Location: I think I've been here
    Quote Originally Posted by Briareos H View Post
    Hm. Following that line of reasoning will inevitably lead to a disagreement between us on the basics of cultural economics and the role of mass media consumption. Not sure I have the spark for that, I'll go back to lurking
    Inevitable disagreement? I didn't even know there was a field of cultural economics!
    Oh well, you can't start a fire without a spark. But this gun's for hire.

  25. #3600
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    Just watched the 80s classic movie "Teen Wolf". I have watched this movie soooooooooo many times across my lifetime, I've lost count. A great watch on all occasions and I just love the comedy moments, it's style and just it's overall message of not needing super powers to succeed. Love it.

Page 144 of 205 FirstFirst ... 449499104109114119124129134139140141142143144145146147148149154159164169174179184189194 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •