TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Chakat sex pillow
    That doesn't sound like a bad combination, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    That doesn't sound like a bad combination, actually.
    Agreed, none of that discourages me, my biggest reservation is just the whole remake thing. I'm an old fart (52), and I rarely find re-imaginings very satisfying. That being said, I'm willing to give it a go, especially with your glowing review! Imma blame you, Renzatic, if I don't like it!

From another thread: I just watched Europa Report, I kinda enjoyed it. I enjoyed the journey to the end of the story, but the very end fell a little flat:was the alien life-form just bio-luminescent algae, or did it have the intelligence of say a dolphin? Clearly, it showed no signs of any complex intelligence. That said, I enjoyed the story of the trials mankind (person kind?) will go through to acquire knowledge.
    Last night, instead of finally watching Zero Theorem (I swear I will get to it soon!), I had a double feature night. Play Dirty, a late sixties war movie, and Dark Star. I recommend both. Play Dirty is a must watch for any Michael Caine fans, and Dark Star is a classic old Sci-Fi flick, I believe it is John Carpenters first movie. The book penned by Dan O'Bannon is one of my favorites, and the movie, next to Silent Running(with Bruce Dern), is one of my must see recommendations for anyone who has not already seen them.

Moderator and Priest
    It's not a remake or a reimagining. It is officially season 3 of the show, taking place 25 years later.

Now that I'm finishing up the 4th episode, my take on it thus far is that the story is all over the place, but it's got tons upon tons of great scenes. Bog standard David Lynch, in other words. It's not a completely surreal dream logic headscrew (barring the greatly expanded world of the Black Lodge), but it's juggling at least 4 very loosely connected plot threads at the moment, which are all slllloooowwwwwlllyy coming together.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    It's not a remake or a reimagining. It is officially season 3 of the show, taking place 25 years later.
    Ah, thanks, Renzatic, I am very out of the loop on these kind of things. Will check it out asap!

New Twin Peaks, Episode 1.

I'm pleasantly surprised. Continuations almost always suck after such period of time, so I feared it would be much worse, but the first episode appeared really interesting and atmospheric from start to finish, the tone is considerably darker than it was before. And I love this meditative style totally in contrast with modern clip editing.

Actually, for me it was more interesting than the very first episode of the original show, but as Renzatic said, it doesn't feel quite like Twin Peaks yet. That's ok for me, when directors try to recreate what they did years ago it more often than not ends up as a bad parody.
    Last edited by 242; 22nd May 2017 at 14:21.

Moderator and Priest
    At the very least, the show deserves props for the most appropriate use of Michael Cera yet seen on screen.

I can give my bullet midseason reviews of a few shows.

Genius about Albert Einstein's life has surprisingly good drama, casting, and good with the science for a show on NatGeo of all stations.

Better Call Saul has its characteristic offbeat tone down, if a bit scitzophrenic. The Jimmy bits are great story telling. The Mike bits are Breaking Bad reloaded, fun to see, but almost too uncanny.

Silicon Valley is still very funny, maybe not hitting quite as high as before. The catch is its foibles and plot twists are losing steam. They can only bump the plot so many times with VC and exec drama until they get into jumping the shark territory.

American Gods has a great aesthetic, and I like the cool protagonist. As a story I'm not buying it yet. Just doesn't click with me. It's like, if you took away the powers/titles, would the characters still be interesting and telling a good story? Not sure.

Also watched the first episode of season 3 of Twin Peaks. Pretty good stuff. Man all the people act odd in it though. Since when did everyone in it talk in uncomfortable silences so often? I don't remember that.

I'm surprised half the actors that returned are still alive in real life. For most of them I was like god damn that persons aged. Sure is meta for the show to be back exactly the amount of years that season 2 said it was going to be.

Loved the bit in that room with the box. There was something very 2001 a space odyssey (different director I know) about that whole bit.

Moderator and Priest
    Well, except for the ending...

Also, I'm happy to say that someone finally posted up the Michael Cera's scene from the 4th episode. The only way I could describe it is that it's what happens when a douchy not too bright hipster tries way too hard to channel Jack Kerouac. He sets up the pitch, but it's Robert Forester's facial expression that drives it home.

Here

Caw-cay-zee-ians.

LittleFlower
    I watched episode S03E01 last night. I watched Twin Peaks when it was originally broadcasted. Eraserhead is one of my all-time favorite movies.

I vaguely remember an interview with Lynch and/or Frost, years after the show. They explained that they had this idea about a long-running soap-opera, but totally different from regular soap-operas. But they didn't have fully worked-out ideas about the plot(s). They started and went along and improvised. ABC forced them to solve the original murder-mystery, even though Lynch didn't want to. They started so many new story-lines, gave so many clues about things to come, but most of that was never resolved.
    Now they've had 25 years to come up with proper story-lines, finished plots, find resolutions to all open questions. I'm curious to see what they've come up with.

In that interview they also said they were limited because the series was broadcasted on mainstream tv. They wanted to show more violence, nudity, sex, disturbing things. I don't know what kind of company Showtime is, but I suspect they got more liberty to show what they want. The first episode already had more explicit or disturbing scenes in them than all of series 1 and 2.

S03E02 watched. This was really good, in the way that only Twin Peaks does things. I just wanted that episode to keep going to reveal more and more.

Eagerly awaiting when I watch the 3rd tomorrow.

This is excellent stuff.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 - Good stuff! Saw it in 3D and I think it made better use of the 3D than any other movie I've seen. Also really liked the storyline.

Trumbo - Pretty good. The story itself is so-so, but the performances of the lead actors really carry this. Bryan Cranston is great of course, but what was surprising was how good Louie CK was in it. I've always liked him in his show, but I figured that was just Louie being Louie. After this I'm convinced the man is actually a legitimately good actor.

Finding Dory - Ehhhhhh... the pacing is all over the place and the squid is just a walking deus ex machina for whenever the little fishes need to get from one place to the other. Does not stack up to Finding Nemo, let alone most of the classic Pixar movies.

Central Intelligence - Nope. Did not like.

Arrival - It's great! You already knew that.

Lone Ranger - The main guy is pretty bland, Depp is quite entertaining, the story kinda drags on for most of it. But once you get to the final action scene, oh boy, then the movie decides to wake up and switch into high gear. The William Tell overture kicks in what follows is an action spectacle on par with the highpoints of the last few Fast & Furious movies.

Here, I'll leave it to action movie connoisseur Rossatron to explain it.

Episodes 3 & 4 for season 3 of Twin Peaks watched. Not AS good as the first 2. Still good, but the 3rd is more good in a WTF IS GOING ON, kinda good. The fourth has none of that and has a couple of scenes that drag on. Still good and it's great to FINALLY see Cooper back in the real world + David Duchovny reprising his role as that transvestite agent .

Very surreal seeing Miguel Ferrer alive and kicking, considering that by present day he'd been dead (in real life) for quite some time.

Labyrinth - David Bowie's finest hour.

Hell yeah. I love that movie.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Just saw Alien Covenant. Gonna keep it spoiler-free here and just say that it was damn good! Go see it!

Moderator and Priest
    This might not be quite so exciting for most people here, considering you're all foreigners who grew up on a steady diet of East German postmodern surrealist children's cartoons or whatever, but I have finally managed to land myself copies of Salute Your Shorts.

Yeah, it's all rips of old VHS tapes, but it doesn't matter. It's still awesome.

Hey! I'll have you know that Worker and Parasite was the shit back in the day and a classic to this day. Pfft.. philistines.

Moderator and Priest
    Yeah, I can see the appeal...

Wonder Woman is good, if a bit slow in places.
    spoiler:
    "No way she could be under cover after what happened in that village! The survivors would've talked incessantly... ...Survivors... Oh dear..."

S03E05 of Twin Peaks watched. 90% of the episode was a whole load of nothing.

Cooper needs to wake the fuck up already.

nah it was awesome, i hope it stays like this for a while

BANNED
    Last week I watched "Logan"
    8/10
    I liked it, but I didn’t love it. I know how touchy and angry people get when you dislike something they love (even I get that way). It annoys me when people come around and start being assholes, trying to piss on my parade when I see a movie I love. “Can you just let me be happy for five minutes!?”

Administrator
    Came across Travelers on Netflix and really enjoyed it (or at least the first season). It's not been as heavily promoted as some of the other Netflix original series and doesn't appear to have the budget of them either. Instead, the show is very tightly focused on the group of main characters both in their own right and as a team working together but with a light science fiction basis. Although the plot could be loosely summarised as "team must do missions to avoid future disasters" that does it a disservice, particularly when compared to other shows (e.g. Continuum) that started well but fizzled out quickly. Definitely recommended as some (mostly) light entertainment.

Page 147 of 188 FirstFirst ... 4797102107112117122127132137142143144145146147148149150151152157162167172177182187 ... LastLast