TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Funny, I just watched the first episode of the new Twin Peaks last night, and really enjoyed it. All the weirdness and long list of questions that need answering hooked me from the start. It seems fewer and fewer people are making strange mysterious stuff like this anymore. A bit graphic for my wive's taste, but I think she will power through.

Interesting too that the show seems to be changing the way traditional ratings and viewership are measured:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur...vQ1#.eeyk58WpO

The Mummy has been getting really bad ratings all over. One show I watched gave it a 1/5. Stick with the Brendan Fraser classic, as that one is pure gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Interesting too that the show seems to be changing the way traditional ratings and viewership are measured:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur...vQ1#.eeyk58WpO
    Good article . As it says, viewership is not the same as it used to be. People are no longer only watching shows from their TVs on the original air date. Their watching it via pay tv (Netflix, Stan etc) and downloading them via the usual ways. Things have changed MUCH since the time of the airing of seasons 1 & 2 of Twin Peaks.
    Last edited by icemann; 26th Jun 2017 at 23:34.

On the opposite end of the spectrum I've been watching season 10 of Doctor Who. This has been absolutely top notch stuff from the 1st episode onward.

Highlights:

* ICE WARRIORS. Fuck yeah.
    and
    * The original Cybermen (as in the old series version from the planet Mondas, not the spiffy shiny versions of the new series from a parallel universe). Plus in that same episode (of which the conclusion to it comes out next week) two incarnations of the Master.

Dayam.

This has been an EXCELLENT season. Peter Capaldi has really improved with every season he's done, and this has just been really good stuff as a Doctor Who fan. And now after the cliffhanger ending I have to wait a week. God dammit.

Still Subjective
    I say this as a sci-fi fan.

I hate Dr Who.

I can't watch it.

It's the Big Bang Theory of sci-fi.

Bleaagh.

Big Bang Theory never had the horror angle that DW has (more so the original 1950s-80s series).

This new season has that guy from Little Britain, which at first I was against but he's actually quite good. Grew to like him after a while. I get your analogy though. The new series (early 2000s onward) definitely has that vibe. The old series never had that. Maybe it was the B-grade sets and more serious tone, but I dunno. The new series in comparison has FAR bigger budgets per episode, has much more special effects, CGI, guest appearances by well known actors etc etc.

I still love it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Have watched a buncha stuff.

GLOW Season 1 - The new Netflix series about Ruth(played by Allison Brie) and a bunch of other out-of-work actresses getting roped into wrestling show Gorgeous Ladies Of Wrestling, the brainchild by B-movie shlock auteur Sam(Marc Maron). The structure of the story is basically a standard sports-movie, training-montages and all, as we follow the underdogs getting better and better and the show coming together. It's a dramedy in the same vein as fellow Netflix shows "Love" and "Master of None". The drama is solid, there's the occasional laugh-out-loud moment, and I was hooked as I digested several episodes per day.

Master of None Season 2 - Lil Bud is gettin his heart broken n' shit. It's sad and funny and good!

Better Call Saul Season 3 - Aww man, poor Chuck. And Jimmy isn't as much of a dick as he is when he shows up in Breaking Bad yet. Showed a remarkable amount of compassion in the finale. Didn't expect that.

Dog Day Afternoon - This was good.

Soylent Green - like probably most people, the only thing I knew about this movie going into it was the twist-ending. So, besides that twist, how's the rest of the movie? Ehhhh, ok.

Anomalisa - Unique and interesting and good, tho doesn't quite match up to Kaufman's earlier highpoints like Eternal Sunshine and Adaptation.

Premium Rush - Wasn't expecting much from this, it was more one of those "oh hell I guess I gotta watch something", but I was pleasantly surprised! I was expecting a more generic action/thriller, but it's actually very inventive, and I like how small the story is. It's not the fate of the world, or even the city, but just the handful of people involved. Michael Shannon is great, and very human, as the villain. The biking scenes look great. The story occasionally feels contrived tho, with characters doing stuff more because it fits the plot rather than it feeling true. Anyway, yeah, I liked it!

Still Subjective
    The Expanse.

I turned it off half way through Ep1.

Then Viv and co on FB said it was worth it so I tried again. Glad I did. I really like this. 4/5 for the first season.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I turned it off after the first season. Then crazy people on TTLG said I had to watch 4 more episodes because apparently watching a full season of a show isn't enough to figure out if you like it or not? So I never watched it again.

Chakat sex pillow
    Sure, if there was nothing in the first season that stoked your boat, it won't rearrange itself into something better suited to your tastes in the second season. But if you felt it had potential it wasn't quite reaching, that's where going forward makes a lot of sense.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I turned it off after the first season. Then crazy people on TTLG said I had to watch 4 more episodes because apparently watching a full season of a show isn't enough to figure out if you like it or not? So I never watched it again.
    We said that cuz the 2nd season is better than the first, Henke. Geez.

Still Subjective
    i thought season one was great.

Henke probably prefers Dark Matter

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    We said that cuz the 2nd season is better than the first, Henke. Geez.
    Yeah, I know you just want what's best for me.

Saw Christine which was really good drama, and The War Machine - despite the mediocre ratings, I liked it quite a bit.

Now started on Glow and even tho I'm not a wrestling fan, it's got me interested. Definitely more character / filmmaking comedy-drama than wrestling.

Christine as in that 80s horror movie from Stephen King?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Okja - new Netflix movie by the Snowpiercer director, about a girl trying to rescue her super-mutant-pig from a greedy corporation. It's good, but a bit all over the place. Would be better if it was kept more focused, also I'm not entirely sure what to make of the ending, capitalism saves the day? Anyway, despite the whole thing being kind of messy, there are tons of great individual scenes. The action scenes are great, of course, but there's also a lot of great character moments. The leading girl Seo-Hyun Ahn, Tilda Swinton, Giancarlo Esposito and Steven Yuen are solid, but the stand-out performances are by a laser-focused Paul Dano and an over-the-top, cranking-it-up-to-11 Jake Gyllenhaal.

Chakat sex pillow
    I think it's more you can only fight something if you understand its nature. This falls into the realm of interpretive bullshit, but Mija spends the entire movie fighting against values that run counter to her own -- her grandfather, the Mirando corporation -- and succeeds only when she works out how to use their limited viewpoints to her own advantage. Lucy and the ALF with its misguided PETA syndrome fail to understand this, and so end up mostly inconsequential.

It has a lot in common with Joon-ho's earlier movie, The Host, which was also a tale of familial strain under extraordinary circumstances. The absurdism and character beats are very familiar and organic, so the movie fell together quite well for me. Great performances by everyone, but yes, Paul Dano was fantastic, and so was the girl playing Mija. I couldn't quite stand Gyllenhaal's whiny effeminate fairy but I gotta admit, for sheer scenery chewing, no one else came close. Also very brilliant CGI; that superpig feels real, through some very effective interaction between it and the physical world.

The movie is also a well-done argument for why people don't want to see how the sausage is made. (Yes, that is two puns. I'm not sorry.) Contender for best feel-good vegan movie of the year? Absolutely.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Ah yes, that's a good read on it.

Just watched the finale for season 10 of Doctor Who. That was the best episode of the show that I've seen in a long time. Hell, the David Tennant finale was great, but this. Fantastic whether your a fan of the old or the new series.

I love how this season in particular has been incorporating some of the older looks (and sounds) of past enemies of old. Means now if you went back and watched the old series (50s-80s) it would work perfectly fine now. Love it. But then they had to do the mother of all cliffhangers for the bloody Christmas episode and have a return of the first Doctor. WHAAAAAAAAAATTT.

10/10.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Christine as in that 80s horror movie from Stephen King?

You're thinkinof Dolores Claiborne Christine is psychological drama about a news reporter.

I finally jumped on the band wagon and started ravenously consuming Game of Thrones. I borrowed the DVDs from a friend and I just finished Season 4. I find the format quite enjoyable. 10 full hour long episodes per season is a lot easier to digest than trying to watch 24 episodes, half of which are just fluff (like X files or Star Trek)

I was wary about watching this show because all of the exposure I had to it was all about the tits. I knew that almost everyone I knew that watched it was in it for the skin despite what they said. Don't get me wrong. I love tits. But i'm not terribly fond of seeing them exploited on stage or screen. Whatever George RR Martins' motivations are for portraying such disregard for women (the women in that show are all treated horribly), if he is doing it for a reason I'm fairly certain the producers at HBO don't dive a damn and know there are lots of guys who just love to see tits and love hearing all the men talk about their bedroom conquests.

Despite that. It was actually 2 women who convinced me to watch it, and I'm glad I did. It's no Tolkien high-fantasy rip off, and it has quite a few parallels to the Wheel of Time books, which I find engaging.

My favorite parts so far are the themes that are vaguely Shakespeare-ian. The fatal character flaws that are destroying these characters. Daenerys is losing her grip on the cities she has freed, and just locked up her Dragons because she has been unwilling to admit that she can't control either. Or Tywin Lannister who had such a distaste for any kind of perceived lasciviousness or sexual perversion is killed by his dwarf son whom he despises for such things after being found in bed with the prostitute that his son fell in love with.

Just a couple examples, but they make me think of Hamlet. He should have killed Claudius when he had the chance, but was so intent on revenge that he didn't want to do it while he was in confession. Wanting his uncles soul to go to hell is what caused everybody so much grief. Martin does a good job of finding his characters flaws and exploiting them.

If nothing else. It's a great political drama. I just bought seasons 5 and 6, I'm going to watch them with my friends that told me watch the show, because they haven't seen past the end of season 4. Should be good, and Season 7 starts this month so I'll have something to watch while I wait for the Blacklist to start back up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Christine is psychological drama about a news reporter.
    http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0085333/

It's pretty good.

And that was the movie I was referring to.

A decade or so ago I remember seeing a similar horror movie, made in the 80s I think. Except this one had a black sports car and never had a driver in it. Set in a small American country town. Pretty high body count.

Had the actor who played "Dick Jones" in Robocop in it. That was a pretty good movie.

[edit]
    And a Google search reveals the movie to be called "The Car" and it pre-dates Christine by about 6 years (released in 1977 according to Wikipedia). Interesting. Having seen bits of the movie "Christine" I'd prefer "The Car" over that.

The Car might have a bad rating on Rotten Tomatoes, but they can go jump.
    Last edited by icemann; 4th Jul 2017 at 00:49.

Been watching "Turn" on Netflix. Washington's spies during the Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    The Car might have a bad rating on Rotten Tomatoes, but they can go jump.
    100% behind you on that! Have you seen "Killdozer!"? If not, you may want to look into it.

I've not, but will have to.

Page 149 of 206 FirstFirst ... 4999104109114119124129134139144145146147148149150151152153154159164169174179184189194199 ... LastLast