TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Just finished GLOW, much better than the advertisement led me to believe. Much more of a character drama than wrestling.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yes, Glow was terrific.

Also terrific: the new Twin Peaks! Started watching yesterday and am currently on episode 4 and oh my god I lost my shit at the Wally Brando scene. What a performance.

This week, started watching season 1 of "Stranger Things". This is by FAR, the best show I've watched in ages. 4 episodes in and quite annoyed that there's only 2 left for now. Gah.

Second season is in the works though. I found it a bit unoriginal and the monster rather lame, but I was well entertained, so no complaints here.

Sort of lost steam for tv after Genius ended (Einstein biopic series). It was only 10 episodes.
    Also the Americans S4, House of Cards S5, & Silicon Valley S4, Better Call Saul S3*, just ended.
    (Re: Better Call Saul: surprised it's actually 3 seasons in & I'm still not sure where it's going. By S3 Breaking Bad was nearing its apex and you could feel it. But I like it well enough anyway.)

I'll save the new Twin Peaks for after I go through a marathon of the old series, which I don't want to do just yet.
    Tried to pick up Six Feet Under, which is quirky in a great way & normally I'd like it, but I must not be in the mood for it.

Also finally getting to Black Sails Season 4. I like it but it's another thing losing steam... Losing Miranda & Charles from the show has had the effect of sucking some of the life out of the show, IMO, since they were the two of the major engines making everything happen, in a way. It could be interpreted like the death of Eddard Stark casting a long shadow over GOT under which everything else happens. But in this case it didn't really turn out like that. More like, without them we're left with a kind of nihilistic stew of undirected spite and rage. So I don't know where it's going now, and that's dimmed the show since the last season.

Upcoming, of the shows I care about, GOT S7 is July 16, of course and Halt & Catch Fire S4 August 19.

Later on: Occupied S2 in October, Vikings S5 in November, Narcos S3 in I don't even know 2017 (I'm willing to give it some latitude even with their main plot engine dead.) Man in the High Castle S3 & Westworld S2 aren't until 2018 AFAIK. Rumors Hannibal may get uncancelled for S4.

I only seem to have time for an episode of something per evening at the moment so no films, but now I've come to the end of Broken, I might try Genius.

Broken wasn't exactly gripping but I did want to know what happened next in the various stories so I watched the 6 episodes. It's a BBC drama starring Sean Bean. The main problem is that I can only see him as Sharpe which I've viewed so many times now. I'm not sure I was able to completely believe in his Catholic priest role in this.

The thing about it that really interested me was the similarity between the Catholic service and the C of E communion service. The words spoken are almost exactly the same, just a few changes here and there. That might be down to more modern language. It's donkey's years since I last went to church so I don't know what C of E have done recently except the 'older' generation don't appear to like it much.

I know nothing about Catholicism so if Broken is an accurate portrayal (the small amount it had), I think I'd rather like to know a bit more.

Chakat sex pillow
    Castlevania Anime one-line review: in mediaeval not-Europe, people were really shit at building floors.

Does it follow the NES - PS1 era game storyline (Alucard, the Belmont's etc etc) or the new age retcon?

Chakat sex pillow
    It's got the Belmonts in there, all right. There's a bit of a (implied) throwback to Vlad the Impaler but right after that it's your semi-classic Castlevania setup. There's involuntary platforming, Ellis-style blood and guts, some whip action, and plenty of whisper-terrible dialogue. It's ridiculous, but how well it manages that ridiculousness is up for debate.

Still Subjective
    Handmaid's Tale is turning out pretty good.

Just finished The Expanse S2. Best sci-fi on tv in ages.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    I only seem to have time for an episode of something per evening at the moment so no films, but now I've come to the end of Broken, I might try Genius.

Broken wasn't exactly gripping but I did want to know what happened next in the various stories so I watched the 6 episodes. It's a BBC drama starring Sean Bean. The main problem is that I can only see him as Sharpe which I've viewed so many times now. I'm not sure I was able to completely believe in his Catholic priest role in this.

The thing about it that really interested me was the similarity between the Catholic service and the C of E communion service. The words spoken are almost exactly the same, just a few changes here and there. That might be down to more modern language. It's donkey's years since I last went to church so I don't know what C of E have done recently except the 'older' generation don't appear to like it much.

I know nothing about Catholicism so if Broken is an accurate portrayal (the small amount it had), I think I'd rather like to know a bit more.
    Kinda.

If you're interested in seeing a bit more of their rituals, they have a channel on cable TV called EWTN. The founder was an old lady who was a rather interesting old character. I remember one story about her running into the playboy bunnies at an airport terminal and giving them all rosaries putting on sweet old lady mannerisms.

They have their schedule posted GMT and it should say when they have mass on. If you find a fully traditional Latin ceremony it's a rather archaic but oddly fascinating affair.

But anyway reason I came in here: has anyone seen the yet another SpiderMan reboot yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    It's got the Belmonts in there, all right. There's a bit of a (implied) throwback to Vlad the Impaler but right after that it's your semi-classic Castlevania setup. There's involuntary platforming, Ellis-style blood and guts, some whip action, and plenty of whisper-terrible dialogue. It's ridiculous, but how well it manages that ridiculousness is up for debate.
    Sounds interesting. Will have to give it a watch.

PS - Next episode of Twin Peaks should be airing soon-ish (within the next few hours, if it hasn't already), for those itching for more Twin Peaks action. I sure am.

I watched Part 8 of the new Twin Peaks last night - you could just subtitle it WTF. That was easily the most bizarre hour of TV I've ever watched. I kind of want to discuss it, but I'm not even sure what to...discuss. I love weird and bizarre and crazy stuff, but sometime watching this show, you feel like they're just trying too hard. "Hey, what can we do that would just freak people out?"

Don't get me wrong, still enjoying the show overall. I just hope at some point they make some attempt to explain whatever it was that I just watched.

And now you understand my completely lost and bewildered post from when I watched it.

Very hard to make sense of.

That's my beef with any of Lynches movies. First half is gripping and disturbing, second half inevitably ventures into "lala crazy lights and bunnies" nonsense.

I'm usually pretty good at interpreting Lynch. He's west coast pastel surrealism. I'll have to watch this and take notes, but generally he reifies some concepts into objects or personas and then puts them in some kind of bewildering display to dramatize what's happening just under the surface of reality, in people's psyche or collective psyche. It's allegorical, not literal, and people aren't used to that. This bit was evidently reifying evil and how it digs its way into the dark corners of people's psyches, like an entire cosmology of evil.

The main thing I find annoying about Lynch is his unnecessarily long, drawn out sequences. Like in one episode this season, they showed a guy sweeping up peanut shells off the floor of a bar for 2 minutes straight. Doesn't sound that long, but it was literally just a guy sweeping. That's all. And this is this character's only scene in the series, so it has absolutely no meaning or context within the show. In the episode I mention above, they showed a nuclear explosion, and the camera goes into the cloud, and we get (literally) 10 minutes of just weird, abstract images moving across the screen. 10 minutes worth! I almost gave up watching. These kind of things coupled with his weekly routine of characters who just stare at each other and don't speak for 30-60 seconds at a time, really test my patience. IMO, the effect he is going for could be accomplished in half the time. Does he really need to annoy his audience? That should never be the end goal I would think.

But of course I'm torn, because for the most part, I love the strange and unique stuff he does. I guess you have to take the good with the bad.

I'm with Brethren on this one. I find the long sequences that serve no purpose really damn annoying. The guy sweeping the floor was the worst offense. I was like "Why the fuck are we watching a guy clean the floor? What purpose to the story could this possibly have AT ALL?".

At times it comes across as unprofessional. More what you'd expect from a beginner at directing.

Funny thing is that the episode after completely ignores all that weird crap.

Still Subjective
    That's one thing I love about Lynch. Those sequences are so atmospheric.

Lynch often wants his audience to feel uncomfortable, and holding scenes way longer than would seem necessary is one of his stylistic trademarks to that effect. I absolutely understand why people might not like this, but it's fully intentional and has a purpose.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yeah, Lynch knows how to test my patience to the extent that he sometimes straddles the art/crap divide. I get that his tack is to put a magnifying lens to deep societal rot, lifting up the skin and pressing the camera close to the decaying flesh beneath, but his methods are capable of making one testy. He needs a mood and a time, and sometimes I'm not in the mood, and he takes too much time.

Level 10,000 achieved
    As it happens I'm watching ep 8 of Twin Peaks right now!

And by "watching" I mean it's on in the background while I'm surfing Facebook and TTLG on my tablet. I stopped paying attention about 15min in. What is this nonsense?

Ha, yeah probably not the thing to watch casually while multitasking.

Or maybe it's the perfect thing.

So I'm watching Attack on Titan and it's pretty good but damn half of each episode is over dramatic pep talks ffs

and blank faces...

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    I watched Part 8 of the new Twin Peaks last night - you could just subtitle it WTF. That was easily the most bizarre hour of TV I've ever watched. I kind of want to discuss it, but I'm not even sure what to...discuss. I love weird and bizarre and crazy stuff, but sometime watching this show, you feel like they're just trying too hard. "Hey, what can we do that would just freak people out?"

Don't get me wrong, still enjoying the show overall. I just hope at some point they make some attempt to explain whatever it was that I just watched.

Thanks Lynchian god, the 9th episode is back to "normal". 8th was atmospheric and interesting in some strange way, but a bit too much for me. Overall, so far the 3rd season is one of the most interesting movies I've ever seen. It's also very brave, modern and creative, not some cheap playing on old fans feelings. I was very sceptical when it was in production, and the result is totally unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by Abysmal View Post
    Went in for a random film at the theater and lost myself in just how damned good it was. Contratiempo (aka The Invisible Guest), a 2016 Spanish thriller that might seem like standard fare on the surface, but quickly got me with its brilliantly paced exposition, twists left and right, and a standout performance from, well... you'll see.
    Thanks for the tip, Spanish thrillers are great.
    Last edited by 242; 16th Jul 2017 at 10:37.

Page 150 of 205 FirstFirst ... 50100105110115120125130135140145146147148149150151152153154155160165170175180185190195200 ... LastLast