TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Moderator and Priest
    The eclipse.

Think the sun burned through my eye and damaged my brain.

My dash lights brightened as they do at dusk. I expected more out of 90% totality.

I did watch "The Hunger" and it was an interesting take on vampirism and eternal love... or not so eternal. The idea that love supports and then lets die or more accurately lets go to wither sort of mirrors actual superficial love. It was a concept that could have been better done but was well worth the watching for the novelty of it. The editing must have broken the directors heart. Although it got across the alien blood infection connection with dwindling love support thing it was obvious it had been chopped to hell.

The lesbian love between Sarrandon and Deneuve was unfleshed emotionally though fleshed in deed but was careful not to shock. Too careful for my taste. I mistook the arm sucking scene for something else at first, which it could have done because that would have been logical, but perhaps that was too far to go for then. Still, even that would not have been without precedent. It was done in the late sixties or was it early seventies? I forget the name of the film but they sidestepped the more blatant by making it a bat feasting exactly where you are thinking.

Like I said, interesting take.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Binged on The Defenders over the weekend. The fightscenes are mostly very good. Occasionally they cheap out and just do a lot of quick cuts to mask the fact that no proper choreography or practice put into a fight, but most of the bigger ones are more thought-out. I like the dynamic and all the banter between the main characters. I have some minor criticisms about the last couple episodes, there's a tad too much circlejerking with characters telling each other how great and brave and powerful they are, and also Elektra's character felt more like a walking plot-device at times, just doing stuff because the plot needed it rather than because she was a fleshed out character doing things out of her own agency. But those are minor quibbles. Overall, yeah, I loved it. I'll go so far as to say it's my fave out of the Netflix Marvel shows so far! (tho I didn't see Iron Fist or the second half of Jessica Jones)

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    The eclipse.

Think the sun burned through my eye and damaged my brain.
    You're not the only one.
    Last edited by henke; 22nd Aug 2017 at 01:28.

Still Subjective
    The new Death Note.

The original live action version was much, much better. Natch .

Just watched John Wick 2. The original was quite good but this was everything turned up to 11. Fantastic movie.

10/10

Level 10,000 achieved
    I patched a couple glaring holes in my film-watching history this weekend by watching the 3rd and 4th Fast & Furious movies.

The Fast & The Furious: Tokyo Drift

Feels distinctly different from all the other movies in the series, due to it stripping out all the previous characters(except one cameo), and also doing away with the crime-focused storylines in favor of something that's more akin to a traditional underdog sports-movie. American white boy Sean comes to Japan and tries to partake in the underground racing scene, but is hopeless at this fancy "drifting" thing they got going on there. Trashes his borrowed car and is indebted to criminal types, but he's determined to make his comeback. Queue the training-montages and the inspirational music. It's not bad, actually. Directed by Justin Lin, who would go on to direct the following 3 movies as well.

Fast & Furious

This, the fourth movie in the series, is more of a direct sequel to the original than either of the 2 preceding movies (2Fast2Furious and Tokyo Drift). This one brings back all the original main players and refocuses on the themes of the original (crime, family, tuning cars, etc.). Sadly, it's not very good. It does have one amazing, spectacle-filled opening action scene (which points the way the series evolved from here), but after that the rest of the movie is kind of a slog.

Now then, having seen all the movies in the series, I'd rank them as such:
    Fast Five>Furious 7>Furious 6>The Fate of the Furious>The Fast & The Furious>Tokyo Drift>Fast & Furious>2 Fast 2 Furious

Some good episodes of shows this week.

Game of thrones finale was excellent. Now I have to wait a year again. Grrr.

And for Twin Peaks, Eddie Vedder (aka Pearl Jam's lead singer) makes an appearance, and Cooper FINALLY WAKES THE FUCK UP. Yay. Another great episode.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yeah, Game of Thrones has been entertaining, but they've been moving pieces around like calculated chess moves that still come off as dumb, and skipping on character beats that would have justified some of the transparent stabs at drama. The earlier seasons that tracked with the books didn't have this problem. I feel they need to get George in the writers' room permanently and have him go, 'right, well...' to D&D going 'What if we condense this bit by...?', if they haven't been able to do that yet.

Meanwhile, Rick & Morty continues to be a great time, if slightly over-familiar at this point.

Wasn't George in bad health though? Be a bit hard to get him there if he is.

Chakat sex pillow
    Well, all the more reason for them to get him in there before his bucket gets well and truly kicked. I joke, but it's probably for the best if they can get the more potent, grounded characterisation of the first few seasons back for the finale, instead of the current season's showing of a few decent and some not so great bits married to (some fairly implausible) mechanical twists. Not saying it isn't a good watch still, but it's hard to enjoy it like you used to when you're going, 'wait, this is daft' at some of the developments. Can't help but blame D&D for setting their own benchmark so high.

Yes, they're slipping on little and big things all over the place. There's a kind of impatience in GOT now to get all the story plot points thrown in, and still have X many zings per episode. I mean that tendency has crept in on occasion at least since the season everybody scattered. But it started to take over this season.

We can hardly complain too much though. Everybody being this invested in the show at this point, you have to see it to the end or what was all of this even for?

Chakat sex pillow
    True that. Imposing hard limits actually does wonders for creativity a lot of the time, though maybe not so much this season. It's still a rip-roaring ride, all said and done.

In other news, I thought I'd finally watch Twin Peaks from the beginning and see what all the fuss has been about and... after season 1, it's been an interesting if sedately paced small-town oddity. I suppose its brand of twisted must have been blazing trails within the landscape of 90s TV, but it seems oddly restrained from the perspective of shows today, which is a funny thing indeed. I guess I'm missing a bit of the larger picture in how it managed to become a cultural landmark.

Anyway, I moved on to season 2, and after frowning at the screen for ten minutes, I decided that Lynch really knew how to test my patience. I mean, fine, have Cooper experience hallucinations at the brink of death, but ten minutes of not understanding a bloody word of what was happening? That's a bit too much surrealness even for me.

It was then that I realised I'd accidentally switched the audio language to Russian at the beginning of the episode. It's either amazing or horrifying that the show had conditioned me to accept such a thing as par for the course.

Moderator and Priest
    And you haven't even jumped into season 3 yet.

There's a movie in between seasons 2 and 3, don't forget. Twin Peaks - Fire Walk With Me.

All I'll say is that there is small bits of season 3 that will make much more sense if you watch it. Personally I hated the movie, but meh.

It's two biggest bits of plot stuff is the introduction of David Bowie's character, Phillip Jeffries and the green ring which can cause people with it in their possession to be pulled over to the red curtain dimension place. Rest of the movie is skippable after knowing and viewing those 2 bits of info. Those 2 bits of info if I recall right, are within the first 30-40 minutes of it. Once it starts focusing on Laura Palmer completely it's safe to skip as from then on it's further explaining the events leading up to the start of the series. Well it all is, but you'd not want to watch the movie before watching seasons 1 & 2, otherwise it spoils the murder mystery. It explains the why of, why the murder occurred however, which the show never really explained. So if that's of interest then see it through to the end.
    Last edited by icemann; 31st Aug 2017 at 11:39.

Chakat sex pillow
    Fire Walk With Me, the movie that got Lynch booed at Cannes? Yeah, that's definitely on the cards if I can sit through all 22 (oh boy) episodes of S2. I probably will, because I've heard really good things about S3, so I'd like to eventually get to it.

I just warn that it is very average. But who knows you may enjoy it. I didn't.

Chakat sex pillow
    I know, and that's fine. It's been widely panned, and for probably good reason. I'm just curious as to how bad it could be, while at the same time S3 probably has callbacks to it, so it won't be a completely meritless endeavour.

I think it's underrated, but it's also been ages since I last watched it. It's definitely more Lynchian than the series (which can be a bit "My first Lynch"). Supposedly the new series is closer to it than to the original series in terms of tone.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'm enjoying the new series a lot. I stopped watching the original series early in season 2 tho, and I haven't seen Fire Walk With Me so I think I'm missing a lot of stuff because of that. I'm also listening to the Twin Peaks Rewatch podcast, and they bring up tons of little details in the show as being SUPER SIGNIFICANT which I totally missed.

Part of my daily 'care' duties now involves watching 10 minutes of The Mighty Boosh. I hesitate to categorize anything as anything but it's definitely a bloke thing - it's bizarre British humour. And I find it funny which surprises me. I'm almost inclined to watch more than 10 minutes.

Has anybody seen it?

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    I know, and that's fine. It's been widely panned, and for probably good reason. I'm just curious as to how bad it could be, while at the same time S3 probably has callbacks to it, so it won't be a completely meritless endeavour.
    My opinion of Fire Walk With Me was that the first half is terrible, but the 2nd half was great. If you watch it, ignore the parts with Kiefer Sutherland and Chris Isaaks. Go straight to the scenes in Twin Peaks, and don't look back.

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    Part of my daily 'care' duties now involves watching 10 minutes of The Mighty Boosh. ... Has anybody seen it?
    I've watched some clips on YouTube but I saw them on stage in Edinburgh in 2000. Greatly enjoyed their surreal, stream-of-consciousness storytelling at the time.

Well that's a relief, thanks! In the world of sometimes barking mad, it's good to know that sane people watch/have watched the same thing.

I saw "It follows". It was good. For a movie with no special effects to speak of or much make up it manages to convey a sense of "other" better than most I've seen. Pretty much relentlessly creepy to the ambiguous finish. Only we all know it wasn't REALLY ambiguous. We saw. Yes we did.

Chakat sex pillow
    I think what makes the movie work better than your average uninspired horror movie is the layer of metaphor to the central threat, both in terms of the obvious STD analogy and the decision to deal with it (or not) that could break otherwise decent people.

Page 153 of 206 FirstFirst ... 53103108113118123128133138143148149150151152153154155156157158163168173178183188193198203 ... LastLast