TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Have I ever mentioned how much I love these mega threads

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I WATCHED, uh............................. The Office, season 2, again. US version.
    LLAAAAMMMMMEEE!

Well, it's alright.

Me? I'm watching The Kettering Incident, which is a lot like Aussie Twin Peaks mixed with X-Files starring this really tall chick that's kinda scrawny but sorta hot.

Watched the latest episode of Star Trek discovery.

I loved the Mirror Universe stuff in the original series, loved it in DS9 and I loved it in Enterprise. I love it in Discovery.

Good episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Me? I'm watching The Kettering Incident, which is a lot like Aussie Twin Peaks mixed with X-Files starring this really tall chick that's kinda scrawny but sorta hot.
    That's Elizabeth Debicki, right? She had a major part in the recentish BBC adaptation of John Le Carré's The Night Manager. Not a bad series, all in all, mixing the lushness of Bond with the realpolitik of Le Carré.

American Gods certainly looks exquisite; I'm not sure anyone who hasn't read the book would get much out of it though.

Still, one mighty impressive kick in the balls!!

Huh? Admittedly it has been a long time since I read American Gods but I don't recall any black lynching. I do recall a battle of Gods on Lookout Mountain.

But yeah, mighty impressive ball kick.

Still Subjective
    Amusingly - Suffragette. Very good. Also Hidden Figures, which was also really good.

I need more stuff based on history now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tocky View Post
    Huh? Admittedly it has been a long time since I read American Gods but I don't recall any black lynching.
    The series does differ from the book in a few ways, mainly to flesh out some of the secondary characters (e.g. Laura, Mad Sweeney, etc.). Since pretty much the entire first half of the book focuses on Shadow and Wednesday only this would've made for a far more simplistic series.

This particular scene is a combination of Laura killing the henchmen on the train and Shadow hanging from the tree, but takes place much earlier, after Technical Kid throws Shadow out of his limo. Not sure whether any of those scenes will make it back later (although given how important the tree hanging is, I'd be very surprised if not.)

Level 10,000 achieved
    Blade of the Immortal, Takashi Miike's 100th movie. It's about a samurai who kills 100 dudes and becomes immortal and then gets hired by a young girl as a bodyguard and tasked with killing a gang who is killing all the samuari-schools in the land. It's based on a manga and they've apparently crammed the first 2 arcs of the manga into this movie. It sure feels like it too. At 2,5 hours it's kinda a bloated mess. The first 15 minutues and the final 15 minutes of the movie are pretty badass, but the 2 hours inbetween? Ehhh, they could've cut that down to 1 hour.

Here's a sample, this scene starts a bit into the first 1 vs 100 fight where our hero has already lost his left hand and right eye.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    To give it context - They were indulging in their every desire on such a grand scale that it opened up a tear in the universe, giving birth to the chaos gods, taking out 90% of their race in the process.

That's what I remember reading from the Eldar codex book 20 or so years ago.
    Which is heavily implied to consist largely of extreme BDSM buttsex that involved black spiky dildos.

It's one of the dumbest sci-fi universes around....that somehow almost manages to be interesting in spite of itself.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Falcon Rising - Falcon (Michael Jai White) is a war vet whose sister gets nearly killed by a gang while working as a nurse in the favelas of Sao Paulo, so Falcon has to fly down there and start taking some names. Entirely generic storyline, but seeing White whooping ass is always a delight.

The final scene sets this up as the starting point for a James Bond-esque franchise, but, eh... I wouldn't hold my breath for Falcon Rising 2.

Still Subjective
    What an awful fight scene.

Yeah, I know I'm a killjoy but wtf are those guys doing flailing around like that? Watch the guys in black, not White. No one tries to hit him. It's rubbish.

The only modern era films with good hand to hand are The Raid and some of the Bourne films. There are some scenes in The Raid 2 that are good, but it was way OTT. Ong Bak was terrible too, thought there was one trailer that really made it look like it was going to be good.

If you got back to the 70s some older Chan films have quality fights.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Is your main metric for a good fight scene whether the fighters look like they're trying to hit each other? Check out Haywire in that case, it has some very painful looking fight scenes.

I'm not looking for realism so much as a well-choreographed ballet of punches and kicks. I like theatricality, inventive use of locations/items, and some graceful round house kicks to the face. And I love over the top wire-fu stuff. Jackie Chan is my all-time favourite on-screen fighter as well.

RE: the above fight scene. If I were to do a proper critique of it I'd say that there are definitely way too many camera cuts. The geography of the scene (the positions of the individual fighters) is consistent, the fight well planned out, and I don't doubt White and the stunt team's ability to perform the routine, so it's a shame the director/editor decided to cut every 2 seconds instead of letting the action breathe. Still, it's always clear what's happening, and it's got a few nice flourishes like the high-kick at the end. 7/10
    Last edited by henke; 15th Jan 2018 at 05:50.

A lot of it is down to editing: https://youtu.be/Z1PCtIaM_GQ?t=5m27s

Watched two movies recently. One old one new. Neither I'd seen before.

* Double Jeopardy - Late 90s movie that sooooooooooooooooooo wants to be "The Fugitive". It even has Tommy Lee Jones in it. Though this one goes for the angle of the wrongly accused of murder going after the supposed murder victim (as he faked his death and placed things up to frame her for it) to kill him due to the double jeopardy law that you can't kill someone twice, which makes logical sense. This does not hold a candle to The Fugitive, and Tommy Lee Jones's character has this uncanny ability to instantly know where the main character is going out of blind luck. This is quite stupid as where she heads to each time was due to very obscure clues she finds to go on, which for someone following could not have possibly figured out. So an interesting movie, but not one I'd watch again. Unlike The Fugitive. 6/10

* The Foreigner - This movie is simply just fantastic. Both Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan give excellent performances. Several plot lines all going on. Never a dull moment. Great movie. The fact that Jackie can do moves like that at his age is just amazing. 10/10

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    A lot of it is down to editing: https://youtu.be/Z1PCtIaM_GQ?t=5m27s
    Come on, Starker. Don't you think I've seen that video? Don't you think I've seen every Every Frame A Painting video? Come on.

Don't you think that maybe not everyone has seen that video?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Come on, Starker. These people don't have anything better to do than watch youtube videos all day. Of course they've seen it.

Moderator and Priest
    I watch Youtube videos all day long, and I haven't seen it.

...what are we talking about?

Even if everyone has seen it, maybe they would like to watch it again? Especially if they don't have anything better to do.

I watch youtube videos all day long and thus I have seen this. Of course I have nothing better to do. Do not be silly. To what end would one rewatch a video they have seen before when their memory is impeccable.

Youtube is what TV used to be like for me. Usually spend an hour or more watching videos from subscribed shows.

Level 10,000 achieved

Just watched episode 7 - "Kill All Others" of Electric Dreams. Now that's some damn fine stuff. Excellent episode.

I hope things never go that way in the future. Was very reminiscent of "The Invasion of The Body Snatchers" and "They Live" in many respects.

I assume that the "others" were the minority of people who were resistant to the subliminal messaging on the television.

I saw The Killing of a Sacred Deer. I thought it was very good.

Page 161 of 206 FirstFirst ... 61111116121126131136141146151156157158159160161162163164165166171176181186191196201 ... LastLast