TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Still Subjective
    Oh henke, I know I'm really fussy about screen fights. I like a lot of Jackie Chan stuff for the inventiveness and the fun, and the scene at the end of Drunken Master that was in that video is, imho, one of the best in screen history.

It's not realistic but it uses such a range of techniques it's just great to watch.

I like raw realism though. Not just that people look like they are being hit, but that there is real threat. Unless it's a comedy of course. I like threat because I like the tension, and I like that because it brings investment in the viewer.

Threat is what makes the first 2 Terminator films. It's what made The Matrix, and that had very unrealistic fighting. It was framed well though, so the threat was still there. Uberfying Neo is what ruined the sequels - the threat was gone.

Fights that look real bring investment, from me anyway. If the hero is swatting away henchmen I don't care any more.

I recently watched Joy. Great film, great story. In the middle of Mandela (Idris version) now. Not sure I'm behind the two leads being British atm.

The Foreigner was pretty good. Brosnan did well. Let's see more of this from him.

Anyway...

Barney the purple dinosaur is now a gigolo. 8(

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2018/0...rsial-tantric/

Hopefully that's not an answer to the thread title. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Ew.

The Disaster Artist - I've never seen The Room but I've seen enough gifs and out-of-context youtube clips to, uh, get the idea. I mean, if making a trainwreck is your dream in life, more power to you. At the beginning of the movie, I think it's JJ Abrams who points out that even though The Room came out in 2003, people are still taking about it. People are making feature-length films about it. Who even remembers what won Best Picture in 2003? Who cares? Let's just be glad Tommy Wiseau wanted to make a movie and not design an airplane.

The Shape of Water - I think you could distill this to "lonely janitor falls in love with riverine monster" but maybe that's unfairly succinct. The movie makes nods to all those 1950s exercises that give Republicans the warm tinglies inside: homophobia, shooting giant water cannons at minorities, workplace chauvinism, commie bastards everywhere, etc. I was a little disappointed I didn't feel there were any big surprises in the course of the movie. I don't know if I can pin that down to trailers showing way more than they should, or if the movie was just a little too predictable. Cat lovers be warned: there is one scene you may find offensive! The end of the movie offered a dual surprise I wasn't expecting: I was sure Sally Hawkins' character would be given her voice back by Innsmouth-dude, but instead she becomes Aquawoman.

I, Tonya - Speaking of disasters. People face adversity all the time, and some people face way more than others, yet they overcome it and soar and succeed beyond all expectation. And then sometimes they don't, they get ground down because life really is unfair and poverty really is a disease and an utterly merciless world ends up annihilating them. The film makes a good point at the end: as much as Americans love a hero, they love having someone to hate too. I was in 1st grade when the scandal broke out, and even at that age it was impossible to ignore the media coverage (it was considered local news, Harding supposedly lives a few minutes from where I do now). I remember being as prejudiced as anyone else. So it really caught my attention when, during the movie, Harding is talking about her excruciatingly public deconstruction at the height of the scandal and how it was like being beaten by her mother and by her homicidal/suicidal husband all over again. Then she looks at the camera and says "only this time it was by you. All of you. You were my attackers too." This movie felt more real and had more heart than a dozen other movies with happy endings where the protagonists overcome the odds and the adversity. Easily my favorite movie in recent memory. It's The Disaster Artist's funnier, bleaker, violent cousin.
    Last edited by Slasher; 25th Jan 2018 at 22:42.

Good review of I, Tonya Slasher. Increases my interest in the film.

And just got back from the movies in which I went to see "The Commuter".

I'd sum this movie up as - If you've watched "Non Stop", take that movie, put it on a train and that's what this is. Highly enjoyable regardless. The fact that this has Liam Neilsen in it just as Non Stop did, and that it's directed by the same guy, I'd nearly call this a spiritual sequel in the same way that "A Few Dollars More" is a loose sequel to "A Fist Full of Dollars" even though the main character is a different person (name wise) but played by the same actor, same sort of setting and directed by the same person.

For me the second half was better than the first half. It's a bit like a murder mystery in that your trying to work out who the "Commuter" is. I had my money on the stock broker played by an actor whose currently in Star Trek Discovery. But nope wasn't him.

I expect that there will be a 3rd movie in a few years to complete the trilogy and I'll happily go along to see it. I quite like Liam in whatever he's in. Even liked his character in The Phantom Menace. Him, Ewan Mcgregor and Darth Maul + the pod racing and the light sabre battles were the only good things in that movie.

[edit]
    Also watched this week, the final 3 episodes of season 1 of Electric Dreams:

* Episode 8 - Very sci-fi stuff. Very good overall.
    * Episode 9 was good but quite grim. Many of these episodes go with dark endings, with everything seeming to be doomed.
    * Episode 10 - Now this was excellent. A more positive-ish ending. Now this is true invasion of the body snatchers style stuff. Though unlike the 70s movie, there looks to be a chance at survival. Though I'd assume that the invasion was going on planet wide, so who knows how the rest of the planet fared.

Man there is some damn fine pure sci-fi stuff on TV lately. You got this and Star Trek Discovery. We've gone from a severe lack of good sci-fi to having some great options.
    Last edited by icemann; 26th Jan 2018 at 13:43.

Double Impact. Twice the Van Damme for twice the fun!

Fargo (the movie, not the show). Totally didn't get it as a teenager, but now I did like it. A while ago I had a similar experience with re-watching No Country For Old Men.

I do think that the Coen Brothers aren't the most compassionate of film directors. Without the sympathetic Marge character (excellent performance by Frances McDormand) it could be argued that Fargo is a downright cruel movie. This is not the first of their movies in which I've noticed this.

Have you seen A Serious Man? By far my favorite Coen film, with Burn After Reading a close second.

I did a sweep of Coen movies last year. This is my provisional ranking from first down. Every single one of them is worth watching.

The Big Lebowski, No Country for Old Men, Miller's Crossing, Blood Simple, A Serious Man, Fargo, Bridge of Spies, Inside Llewyn Davis, Burn After Reading, O Brother Where Art Thou, Raising Arizona, Intolerable Cruelty, Barton Fink, True Grit, The Man Who Wasn't There, The Hudsucker Proxy, Hail Ceaser.

You’re counting films written but not directed by them as well, then? (I’m referring to Bridge of Spies.)

Honestly I was just going down some random website's list of "Coen Bros films". It actually felt wrong putting Bridge of Spies down but I was just going by the list, as if it knew something I didn't, so I ran with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Have you seen A Serious Man? By far my favorite Coen film, with Burn After Reading a close second.
    I really liked A Serious Man. Burn After Reading not so much, but if it should hit Netflix or is broadcasted on TV, I'd watch it again. Maybe I wasn't in the right mindset for it, just like I didn't like Fargo at all before and didn't think much of No Country For Old Men, and now I like both of those movies.

Chakat sex pillow
    So, Star Trek: Discovery. You may not have a great story or even any Trek values, but a complete lack of self-consciousness means you can carry off some awesomely dumb story decisions with verve.

This may be the first time I've seen a Trek show where I've needed to turn my brain off completely to enjoy it, but it's also the first Trek show that's fun because of its commitment to breakneck split-second storytelling, consequences be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Honestly I was just going down some random website's list of "Coen Bros films". It actually felt wrong putting Bridge of Spies down but I was just going by the list, as if it knew something I didn't, so I ran with it.
    Also the list is missing The Lady Killers: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0335245/

Also, I just watched the Netflix original "I dont feel at home in this world anymore" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5710514/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    ... Good stuff and oddly relatable

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    So, Star Trek: Discovery. You may not have a great story or even any Trek values, but a complete lack of self-consciousness means you can carry off some awesomely dumb story decisions with verve.

This may be the first time I've seen a Trek show where I've needed to turn my brain off completely to enjoy it, but it's also the first Trek show that's fun because of its commitment to breakneck split-second storytelling, consequences be damned.
    What was wrong with the episode? I just watched it expecting something horrible. What I got was another good episode. All in the eye of the beholder I guess.

I thought the big plot twist that the captain had been the mirror universe version of him all along was fine.

Chakat sex pillow
    Well, let's see. Randomly introduced obstacles, cue inspirational speech, random technobabble solution seconds later. Mirror universe Lorca is fine, sort of inspired even; dispatching him through a gaping plot device that almost certainly means he'll return isn't. 'Emperor' Georgiou's quick takedown due to her patent lack of smarts, followed by her trust in Burnham's plan that was literally 'pretend you're my hostage and we'll rush these heavily armed rebels via my being coquettish with Lorca, then figure out how to turn off the containment field in the middle of the ensuing mess so we can blow up your entire ship; oh, and you're probably going to die from that'. Landry going, 'is the containment field on?' and then neglecting to check it just before they're vapourised.

I was expecting at least two mic drops there - one being Georgiou trying to slice Burnham's head off after Lorca dies and telling her that no one blows up her ship, and the second being Landry giving the Disco the middle finger by turning the field back on just in the nick of time. That neither of these happened was disappointing, but then, adding insult to injury, Burnham goes and reels Emperor Georgiou back in with her, which means at least one of the writers was hoping for a redemptive arc for Burnham through her. Ick.

It's all gloriously stupid. Which is to say: I enjoy it, but not without making some large disclaimers over its quality.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 29th Jan 2018 at 13:46.

I definitely mind Michael (and, I think, the show) equating the two Georgious enough so that it doesn’t really seem to matter all that much that the mirror universe one is quite happy to slaughter and eat sentient beings. That’s almost ridiculously evil. I’d expect better from a supposedly intelligent, logical character like Michael. Her having the emotional urge to do what she does is fine; her actually doing it, and seemingly without much of a second thought, is decidedly less so, as far as I’m concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyph1208 View Post
    Also the list is missing The Lady Killers: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0335245/
    It was on the list I was looking at. My list is not missing it so much as I just haven't seen it yet so can't venture an opinion.

I would watch films but I fall asleep a lot so, sorry dethtoll, I continue to mess up your thread with tv.

I am watching Series 6 of the utterly excellent French 'Engrenages' a.k.a. Spiral. It's rare for me to find that a season 6 is as riveting as season 1. And it has to be excellent for me to watch something with subtitles.

For those who don't know it, "The show follows the lives and work of Paris police officers and the lawyers and judges who work at the Palais de Justice."

Knowing nothing about how the justice system works in France, I've found it fascinating and illuminating.

I just imagine instead of DUN DUN the key sound effect is HON HON.

Oh and I almost forgot to pull out this old chestnut...

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Barney the purple dinosaur is now a gigolo. 8(

2 episodes into season 11 of The X-Files.

First episode was fine. Second was quite average, with a distinct drop in quality + was quite stupid overall. I hope this does not become a trend. I also hope that they go back to doing actual X-Files, rather than it all being about the over-arching plot to the season. When the show was at it's height, we would get something like 90% singular X-File episodes and every now and then one about the government conspiracy stuff. That's what I want to see.

The Belgian cult classic Man Bites Dog was recently released on iTunes. I heard a lot about how shocking it's supposed to be and how it's a deconstruction of the media's and viewers' obsession with violence and such. So I rented it to see what all the fuss was about.

It's pretty shocking alright, the callousness of the violence especially. The mockumentary nature and the grainy, bad quality black and white style of shooting makes it worse, not better.

However, it didn't totally work for me. I've seen many user reviews on IMDb that said they were laughing all the way until the gruesome rape scene and then felt guilty for laughing. But I didn't really find the movie funny and just hoped the main character would die, and wouldn't mind if the "film crew" died as well. And I felt sorry for the victims. But I didn't feel implicated by watching the movie.

In general I don't really like movies that try to make me feel implicated for watching them, that doesn't work on me. If I paid to see a movie, I'm watching it till the end and no director can make me feel guilty about it and pass it off as a profound artistic statement. Nor do I feel I'm too desensitized and there's something wrong with me to be able to stomach such a shocking movie. I felt the same thing with Funny Games. Michael Haneke went on and on in countless interviews about how the only correct way to watch his movie is to turn it off, or else you "need" the violence in your life. That line of reasoning always seems like a bunch of crap to me, and I felt the same thing here.

But yeah, it's shocking. 6.5/10

Anyone else seen it, and if so, what did you think about it?

Still Subjective
    Altered Carbon - first 3 episodes.

I never read it so this is all refreshing to me. I'm also really glad to have a sci-fi series to watch again. Star Trek Discovery was okay but I far preferred The Expanse (FO DA BEWT!).

I've quite like it but I like the cast, especially Kinnaman. I've read there have complaints about "White washing" but afaik the sleeve in the book isn't asian. Oh well.

Re: Man Bites Dog - never seen it but a couple of friends are big fans. Can you take anything seriously when it's a satire? It is a satire, right?

Page 162 of 210 FirstFirst ... 62112117122127132137142147152157158159160161162163164165166167172177182187192197202207 ... LastLast