TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    Well that's total nonsense and anyone who says this can from henceforth be totally and completely ignored as they are obviously an idiot of the absolute highest order.

And why would you watch a 30 minute review?

I see these reviews or "reactions to" films that are 30 minutes or more long. Who has that time to watch what someone else thinks of a film ffs? Much less when 95% of these reviewers are idiots.
    The first 15 is non spoiler, the remaining 15 is spoiler. So a 15 minute review for those who haven't seen it, like myself. I'm fine with that.

FKA Buccura
    I saw A Wrinkle in Time tonight. For it's target demographic I think it's quite good, I'm just very much not in that demographic and haven't been in a long time. I don't regret seeing it, but it's not something I plan to see again.

Level 10,000 achieved
    King Arthur: The Guy Ritchie One - This was pretty fun! Much more over-the-top fantasy than I expected, when Arthur activates his Excalibur-powers it basically turns into a spectacle-fighter. I also like how it presents it's fantasy-world without bothering to explain everything(oh yeah, there's a monster-octupus-lady in the basement who can grant wishes, NBD). Solid performances by Charlie Hunnam and Jude Law. Though the scenes where everyone is talking fast and the camera keeps cutting back and forth in time feels like Ritchie trying to recapture that Lock, Stock magic and it just doesn't really work. Overall tho, very enjoyable! 7/10

The Outsider and Mute - Ok I couldn't be bothered finishing either of these. What's up with Netflix original movies lately? Last fall they were doing real well. Okja, Meyerowitz Stories, and Gerald's Game came out in quick succession and it felt like Netflix was hitting it out of the park, but then the major disappointments began showing up, starting with Bright. It's not like they're lacking talent either behind or in front of the cameras, yet it's all coming up meh.

edit: ok, had to remind myself what else they'd released so far this year and it's not all bad: https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/eve...o-f/2900-1843/ I did like Polka King, A Futile And Stupid Gesture, The Ritual and even Cloverfield Paradox well enough. No cinematic masterpieces, but decent enough.

Still Subjective
    Yeah, Mute was dumb as f. Half of it was okay because Rudd and Theroux are great actors. The rest was rubbish.

I thought The Outsider was a series. But anyway, if you say it's naff...

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    The first 15 is non spoiler, the remaining 15 is spoiler. So a 15 minute review for those who haven't seen it, like myself. I'm fine with that.
    It never ceases to amaze me what people waste their time on.

Seems every film has a corresponding 45 minute YouTube "explainer"or some such.

And people actually want to listen to that Chris Stuckman effort.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yet you listen to the Crate & Crowbar podcast. Why is it ok to listen to people talk about video games but not movies?

Still Subjective
    Firstly, I listen whilst I do other stuff. Chores. Makes them much less boring.

So I'm not watching, which fixes you in place.

But games are interactive. I don't mind short video reviews, but A30 minute review of a film seems really excessive and likely to contain multiple spoilers too. C&C are careful about spoilers.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I think exploring what makes a movie work or not work is just as interesting as the same discussions about games. I generally don't read/watch/listen to reviews of games/movies before I've seen them, so as not to have anything spoiled or my view on it swayed, but I do like checking the reviews out afterwards to see how others experienced/interpreted the thing.

I do prefer the podcast format rather than video as well, The Canon and Thirith's podcast being faves, but as for youtube shows I will occasionally check out RLM's reviews.

Now, I generally like reviews of good movies, but I love reviews of bad movies. The Flop House and How Did This Get Made? podcasts are some of my faves, and if there is one youtube series I watch religiously, it's RLM's Best Of The Worst.

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    Firstly, I listen whilst I do other stuff. Chores. Makes them much less boring.

So I'm not watching, which fixes you in place.

But games are interactive. I don't mind short video reviews, but A30 minute review of a film seems really excessive and likely to contain multiple spoilers too. C&C are careful about spoilers.
    Well not all of us are like you. In my case, I largely stopped watching TV ages ago (besides for the news), so youtube is my "television" now so to speak. We all used to watch random stuff on TV that'd go on for ages. Youtube is no different. I quite enjoy watching reviews of movies, tv shows and games. Gives you some insights and good opinions on things.

Hell, I remember watching that hour or so long deconstruction of the Star Wars Prequels with the guy in flowery shirt whose in the above video in henke's post. It's entertaining. Who cares how long it goes for.

Saw the new Tomb Raider last night. Very average, and thus very disappointing. The sad part is, Vikander makes a great young Lara Croft, she was really good (and I don't just mean good looking). But there really needed to be more action, more stunts, more climbing and bow shooting, more heart pounding sequences. There's some of that, but then the portion when they actually got inside the tomb was so dull and boring I almost fell asleep. And it went on way too long. It's amazing how many traits this movie shared with some of the Indy Jones flicks, yet they are classics and this is just pedestrian.

Anyway, I hope the movie sells well enough to do a sequel. They have the actor they need, now they just need half a story and a good director to put it all together. I'm not talking Oscar material here, but we shoud be able to get something exciting like Die Hard or Bourne Identity or Heat, something on that level.

Or for a far better movie with Vikander in it, go watch Ex Machina.

Yeah but as a gamer, I really want the Tomb Raider part to be good too.

Just watched "Life". Excellent movie with never a dull moment. Top notch acting by all actors, great special effects and CGI. Had me on the edge of my seat throughout. I don't have a single negative thing to say about it, though I recall from earlier reviews I watched ages ago that some weren't big fans of it. Saying that the movie nicked much from other other sci-fi horrors.

Me I'm a huge fan. And the ending. God damn. All life on Earth is doomed. I did NOT see that coming. Great movie.

10/10

BANNED
    "If I can only imagine", pretty good, better than Tomb raider.

Still Subjective
    The problem with this Tomb Raider wasn't the action for me. Sure, it wasn't amazing (though that water bit was pretty good).

There wasn't enough mystery in it for me. Not enough puzzle/contraption solving. The Angelina ones did a better job of that afair.

Still Subjective
    Red Sparrow

3/5 but better than I expected.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Game Over, Man - eeehhhhhhhhh. Honestly I wish Netflix had spent the money on just getting all the Workaholics seasons streaming instead.

Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid - ehhhhhhhhhhhh this is mostly just remembered for the soundtrack Dylan wrote for it(including Knocking On Heaven's Door), besides that it ain't much to write home about. Dislikeable, uninteresting characters all around. And for a Peckinpah movie the action scenes aren't even that good. The one in the middle in the small house is ok, but that's it.

War Dogs - eeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHNNNNNNNNGGG

Love Season 3 - It was great!

Moderator and Priest
    Just got through watching Annihilation. I didn't know what to expect walking in. The book is so damn weird, putting it literally to the screen would be like filming a fever dream, but to make it more linear and easy to follow would be to lose what made the book so interesting in the first place. Somehow, they managed to find a happy medium. It doesn't follow the book exactly, changing and omitting some big parts, but it captures the spirit of it quite well. It starts out easy to follow, laying out far more about the characters and the setting than the book ever does. It gives you something to hold on to as it becomes more and more surreal the deeper into Area X the movie goes.

Losing the crawler and the underground tower that's not a tower was something of a disappointment, but really, most of that would probably play out pretty cheesy on the big screen.

Just finished season 2 of Jessica Jones. I don't care too much about the story, but dug JJ for the characters and the various psychological themes. S2 fell flat in this regard, I felt the characters being a little 1-dimensional this time around (aside from Jeri, the attorney lady perhaps).

Watched Far Cry 5: Inside Eden’s Gate yesterday (https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...n-amazon-prime). Meh.

Still, much better than Mute.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Just finished season 2 of Jessica Jones. I don't care too much about the story, but dug JJ for the characters and the various psychological themes. S2 fell flat in this regard, I felt the characters being a little 1-dimensional this time around (aside from Jeri, the attorney lady perhaps).
    Yeah, I thought S1 was fairly middle of the road with some high points, but S2 took all of S1's flaws and made them the show's entire fabric. It's messy and undercooked despite being too long, with relationships and motivations that are barely justified by the plot -- there's a lot of 'character X should do this because it makes sense from a high-level point of view where we want to go', but the justifications are almost always weak or not fleshed out. Combined with most of the first half treading water, it became tedious to watch at some point.

Also, I get that it's a feminist-centric show, but some of the early episodes seemed unnecessarily focused with jokes based on slapping the male ego around - this is fine, but too many in a short span of time makes it look like cheap shots for the sake of it. Restraint is a valuable thing; they already have powerful women doing things the men aren't good at, so playing that up would be better for humour instead of a bunch of glib one-liners next time.

Edit: I can't help but feel some of the problems are partly to do with the directing, too. Some of the tonal/character issues could have been reconciled with a slightly different approach by both the actors and the directors; it bears the hallmarks of a too many cooks production.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 26th Mar 2018 at 04:13.

Just watched "The Karate Kid" (1984 original). Some movies age badly. Others are timeless. This is one of those timeless movies. Absolute classic.

As a victim of bullying in school growing up, this was one of my inspirations to always stand, face and fight back against the bullies regardless of the outcome. Due to movies like this one, I went to karate as a kid and learned to defend myself (as much as you can against that many people). You never forget those moves. Life skills and life lessons to live by.

10/10 movie.

Ready Player One

Apparently I'm on top of things for once.

As a fan of the book, I was worried it was going to be a letdown that would give me ample opportunity to nitpick and complain about poor adaptation (yes, I'm one of those people). It actually didn't. At all. In fact, pretty much everything is different. I wouldn't say it's a better story for the changes, but it's a better movie for them. The characters are pretty much the same (though they randomly rename Shoto to Sho for some reason) and the story progresses loosely the same way, but the fine details are different. For example (minor spoilers, but it's in the trailer and the book's been out for years now) instead of the first key being acquired by playing Joust with a lich in a hidden D&D dungeon, there's a chaotic "unbeatable" death race that everyone already knows about.

Tonally, the movie is more optimistic. A lot more people come out of it alive than they did originally, that's for sure. The brighter tone causes things to get a bit cheesy at times, but if you're expecting anything serious from a movie about video games that uses Van Halen's "Jump" as its opening credits, you're mistaken.

So, is it a good movie? Yes. A great one? No. It's certainly fun though, and it's easy to get lost spotting all the pop culture references crammed into nearly every frame. I'm actually glad I saw it in the theater- it gives the fight scenes a lot more impact and spectacle than they might have otherwise, and character spotting is fun with a massive screen in front of you.

Should you run out and see it? If you were already thinking about it (or were already a fan), go ahead. You won't be disappointed. If this is the first you've heard of it and you're mildly interested, I'd say wait for the blu-ray/streaming release and watch it then. If you think Spielberg+bombardment of pop culture doesn't sound like your cup of tea, it probably isn't.

Still Subjective
    Game Night.

3/5 could have been better, had a few laughs.

I finally watched the new Blade Runner some time ago. I didn't have great expectations, as too many years have past, but I can't say I liked it either. Yes, there's tons of good craftsmanship that went into making that movie, but that's what you get when you hire the Villeneuve / Deakins combo, they're best of the best.

Sadly the third member of that combo (Jóhannsson) is absent, replaced by Zimmer, who did basically what others did in their departments: a robotic emulation based on bullet points they got in their briefing files. For a moment I didn't feel there's a reason for this movie to exist, except for to emulate the old style.

I like Gosling, I think he's a decent actor, but he didn't have a chance to do anything with script like that. His one "humane" moment feels fake as hell, like most things in the movie. FWIW, I didn't expect them to recreate the spirit of original BR. With their track record, I expected to see something new. Unfortunately this movie has no soul, at least that's how I'll remember it.

Page 166 of 206 FirstFirst ... 66116121126131136141146151156161162163164165166167168169170171176181186191196201 ... LastLast