TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Love Season 3 - It was great!
    It was, but fuck... what do you reckon the future holds?

I personally find that show, the characters and their choices incredibly interesting. Great to stop it while it was ahead though - "ahead" in the sense that quality gate hadn't completely failed yet, even though it was starting to get very thin on the ground plotwise... and another season would have sucked balls, I think.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I think those two crazy kids are gonna be aaaalright! I mean obviously it's no fairy tale, but Mickey had been really good at keeping her shit together in the last season, and Gus has managed to own up to and confront his own issues. The future's looking bright, and after everything that happened in S1-3 I think they can work through whatever life throws at them, as well as through each other's crazyness.

Death of Stalin is the real deal. Best movie this year so far. Great decision to keep it British absurdist deadpan.

Level 10,000 achieved
    If I didn't really care for In The Loop, is it safe to say I won't like Death of Stalin either? That style of comedy just doesn't do it for me.

Recently watched:

Free Fire - a movie set in one location, an abandoned factory, about a shady gun deal that spirals ever further out of control. Very entertaining. Good cast, including Brie Larson, Armie Hammer and Cillian Murphy, but Sharlto Coopley is the one that really steals the show.

It - Kind of an odd one. As a horror movie it's not very scary at all, but I found myself very entertained nevertheless.

Smokey And The Bandit - Yeeeeeeehaw! I hadn't seen this one since I was a kid, but it still holds up as good time, despite much of the humor not having aged well.

I don't know In The Loop so couldn't say. My intuition is they're different since the forner looks like its played as a comedy whereas Death of Stalin is played, well not exactly as it was, but a comedy version of what it was.

Also, two of the main characters, Kruschev & the Dep'y Sec General, were Steve Buscemi and the Arrested Development dad, who play it just like you'd imagine, American exasperated & bumbling, repectively. I said it was Brit style, but it's not exactly. It mixes US and UK humor. I'd say give it a try.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    If I didn't really care for In The Loop
    Oh laaaawdy! What?!

Just watched "Creep 2".

The first movie lived up to the "creep" name, as the serial killer in it was just plain creepy. And is an excellent movie which follows the found footage style, with the twist being that the video was part of the killer's video collection. The sequel somehow pulls off what many horror sequels fail in, which is recapturing everything that made the first so good. It's dead on equal to the feel and quality of the first. I THOROUGHLY enjoyed it. Excellent movie, that would not be everyone's cup of tea due to the found footage style, but I love those types of moves. So for me it was excellent, with a great twist ending.

10/10

Somehow a 3rd movie is in the works apparently. I'll be sure to watch that, when it's released.

Next up - The Cult of Chucky
    Last edited by icemann; 11th Apr 2018 at 13:18.

BANNED
    quiet place was decent.

demagogue - watch In The Loop, I'd give it 9 lubricated horse cocks out of 10.

Chakat sex pillow
    And get on with The Thick of It once you're done with that, because some politicians are about as useless as a marzipan dildo.

And just watched "Cult of Chucky".

That a horror movie series started in the early 90s would still be getting new entries that aren't prequels or reboots is amazing. Plus it still has Brad Dourif doing the voice acting. And it's not turned into complete crap by this point which is double amazing. Movie itself starts strong but then gets a bit average, though the gore is just over the top. More over the top than even The Walking Dead at some bits. I did not like how Chucky was able to be in multiple dolls simultaneously. That's a bit too Matrix Reloaded for me. And Brad's actual real life daughter was playing the main character. That's just meta. Decent actor too. And it had the original actor who played "Andy" in the first and second movies. Wow.

These movies are just complete fan service through and through. And that is not a bad thing at all. Ends on a cliffhanger so be another sequel in a year or 2 which I'm cool with.

6 and a half / 10.

Just got back from the movies where I went to see "A Quiet Place".

Excellent acting, very original concept which creates a unique angle for the movie as it's super quiet with only sign language used most of the time. Good CGI for alien though it did remind me a bit of the demagorgon from Stranger Things, and some edge of your seat moments. Best movie that I've seen Jim from the office in. Yep I know he has a real name, but he's Jim to me.

Negatives: This is the sort of the movie that you could REALLY rip apart if you put real thought into it. For example it's revealed at the end that the aliens can be killed via bullets/guns. So how in the hell did nearly everyone on all of the Earth get killed? That makes no sense. Unless the alien that did get it's head blown off was only vulnerable to bullets thanks to that sound wave from the hearing aid. If they are vulnerable to bullets and other things, then couldn't the army have just sent in elite snipers with silencers to take them out? Or why not just create a trap where you put a bunch of speakers in a room filled with bombs. Start up sound from the speakers, wait for the alien(s) to run into the room then BOOM. Dead alien(s).

And if a horde of the aliens showed up from the shotgun blast, then how come no extras showed up when they lit off the fireworks? If you were to compare sound levels, the shotgun blast would be no where near the level of sound that the fireworks would have created. How in the world did the aliens kill all the birds when their only land based?

I still enjoyed the movie immensely anyways.

8/10.
    Last edited by icemann; 13th Apr 2018 at 10:23.

I got the impression their armor was impregnable to small arms fire. Their armor doesn't normally open up and even when it does, they aren't slouches.

Think of the antlions from Half-Life, but now they're bulletproof except for a tiny spot on them that can only be seen sporadically. Also every shot you fire attracts a bunch more. Also no HEV suit. Gordon still can't talk.

What have you watched lately?

Went to see A Quiet Place myself today.

Obviously, there had to be one guy in the cinema loudly eating crisps/chips the whole way through.

Ah damn. Everyone in the audience when I went was super quiet. A refreshing change.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    Went to see A Quiet Place myself today.

Obviously, there had to be one guy in the cinema loudly eating crisps/chips the whole way through.
    Didja tap him on the shoulder and say, 'Buddy, did you maybe miss the title of the movie?'

No, I did the British thing of getting incredibly cross but not actually saying anything.

I'd have so shooshed them. I was preparing myself before going into the cinema. People don't like being shooshed I've noticed.

I will say that overall cinema behavior has improved a fair bit over the past decade. Used to see people smoking, getting into fights with other cinema goers (who had shooshed them), people being rude or super loud, using those red laser dot pens etc etc. Where as now, not much going on.

[edit]
    Watched the finale for The Walking Dead season 8. A great finish to a season with highs, lows and quite a bit of filler. They should really end it here on the note the finale finishes on. Unless they find a cure to the zombies or something, I don't see the show getting better. But time will tell I guess.
    Last edited by icemann; 16th Apr 2018 at 09:44.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    No, I did the British thing of getting incredibly cross but not actually saying anything.
    Stoicism is its own reward sometimes. :salute:

How was the movie, barring the crispocalypse?

A couple of expository scenes that were a bit too on the nose, a distinct feeling that since Alien Hollywood has lost all skill at movie creature design, but otherwise pretty damn good.

Much like something like Alien or The Terminator the concept is pretty simplistic and schlocky, but the execution lifts it far above average. The “everybody must keep quiet” theme means there is a lot of focus on character, which gives you more reason to care than in your standard genre movie.

The Alien wasn't designed by Hollywood, though, but by a Swiss dude with decidedly bad dreams.

Employed by Hollywood, still.

Still Subjective
    There were some asshats talking and messing around when we saw Tomb Raider. Eventually they were kicked out. But it took an ungodly time. They were far from us and the people in front of them only grew a pair when the management came in because they'd been alerted. People like that should be banned for life.

Hell yeah. Sadly that never happens.

I don't get why people like that go to the movies, make heaps of noise and don't expect to get shooshed or told off. You get those types everywhere, like on public transport etc. Can't stand them. Only stupid people are breeding I tell ya.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I watched The Bourne Legacy last night. That's the Bourne-less Bourne movie. Maybe it's because I was never a huge fan Bourne-head to begin with, but I think this might just be the Best Bourne! It was very captivating, good performances by Renner and Weisz, and it had me hooked from beginning to end.

Page 167 of 209 FirstFirst ... 67117122127132137142147152157162163164165166167168169170171172177182187192197202207 ... LastLast