TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

My main problem with The Bourne Legacy was that it very much felt like half a story only. The point where the film ended in no way felt like an ending to me. I don't mind open-ended films (if done well) or endings like Fellowship of the Ring, because you still have arcs that clearly come to an end, but Legacy just didn't seem complete to me - which is a shame, because I liked it reasonably well otherwise.

I think it was supposed to have a sequel, but bombed.

Classic, 'must-see' comedies are hit or miss for me. I love Blues Brothers, Office Space and The Big Lebowski, but I didn't like Dr. Strangelove, Ferris Bueller and today I watched Animal House and that goes into the latter category as well. I really didn't find it very funny and I found the characters unlikable. To be honest I also thought the movie was a little iffy in the way it treated the female characters, often done by the characters you're supposed to root for.

Humor is very subjective, that much is clear. With modern comedies, I prefer the Apatow/Rogen/Franco etc. brand of humor, and the Pegg/Frost/Wright type of humor (not all British humor though, I like Monty Python okay but really don't like Bottom or The Young Ones) over Will Ferrell/Adam McKay or Adam Sandler stuff.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'm 100% with you on the first paragaph, Harvester. Never got the big whoop about Dr. Strangelove, didn't even realize Ferris Bueller was supposed to be a comedy(I mean I get that it's a light hearted teen-movie, but is it actually supposed to be like "ha ha" funny?), and I also recently tried watching Animal House and turned it off in 15 minutes.

I do like McKay/Ferrell stuff tho, Taladega Nights and Anchorman particularly. And I used to love Bottom as a teenager, tho I'm not sure it would hold up if I tried rewatching it.

Just a mix of Hype Backlash and Seinfeld is Unfunny, probably.

Give me any of Adam Sandler's comedy movies up to and including "50 First Dates". After that they go down hill. "Reign Over Me" was my favorite of his serious films.

Watched the first episode of season 2 of Westworld. Am I the only one rooting for the humans in this? Deloris annoys me.

Show is starting to have a Battlestar Galactica vibe to it. Still good viewing. Hopkin's not being in the show is a great loss felt.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Other stuff I've been watching:

Sully - Pretty good!

Atomic Blonde - Some very nice action scenes wrapped up in a plot I didn't care about.

Collateral - No, not the Tom Cruise movie, the recent mini-series from Netflix and da Beeb!

A pizza-delivery man is shot dead in London and police officer Kip Glaspie (Carey Mulligan) is called in to investigate what turns out to be a complex web of LIES AND DECEIT! It's good, gripping stuff, tho the B-story about a Labour MP (John Simm) and his ex-wife (Billie Piper) doesn't contribute much and probably should've been cut.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Watched the first episode of season 2 of Westworld. Am I the only one rooting for the humans in this? Deloris annoys me.

Show is starting to have a Battlestar Galactica vibe to it. Still good viewing. Hopkin's not being in the show is a great loss felt.
    I feel the same way, she isn't actually very likeable at all.
    Maeve at least has got her "they took my daughter from me" argument going for her, but even then the fact that she just got a hold of a tablet (with seamingly admin rights) and just upped her "intelligence slider" annoyed me as well...
    All in all I haven't been very impressed with the series, I had seen the original 1973 film, and been looking forward to the series ever since it was announced. However it ended up not being quite what I was expecting, so going into season two I was already off to a rough start.

So: In the Loop is pretty funny, although I think Americans do The Office style comedy better, but I could appreciate it.

It got bonus points for me because I did a few political types of jobs in DC, and I can get the kind of frenetic energy of that scene, although I never really fit in. We laughed at those kinds of things then, but I didn't like how everybody's a mooch there. (Much different than NYC, where people from different games mix all together... Actually Breakfast at Tiffany's was a snapshot of that, speaking of it. But in DC there's only one game in town, everybody's playing it, and it's not even a very interesting one.)

But to answer henke, In the Loop isn't like Death of Stalin. DOS is much more like a scripted 80s comedy.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Oh, ok. I'll watch it when it comes on Netflix!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyph1208 View Post
    I feel the same way, she isn't actually very likeable at all.
    All in all I haven't been very impressed with the series, I had seen the original 1973 film, and been looking forward to the series ever since it was announced. However it ended up not being quite what I was expecting, so going into season two I was already off to a rough start.
    Season 1 I really liked. As a gamer, it offered a glimpse into a possible future for the medium. I even liked how things branched off the way they did over time. Season 2, feels like Battlestar Galactica. And that's the best analogy I can make, as often your hearing lines like "what is emotion? what is existance?" etc etc. After BG I'd heard enough of that. I'm still excited to see where everything goes.

But I do miss the gamer angle as that is now gone entirely. There was a large aspect in the first season about role playing, ways of doing quests etc. That I really enjoyed, and I miss it's passing.

Chakat sex pillow
    Two seasons focused on human beings being ridiculous fucksticks to their own creations? Yeah, hard pass. The show knows its main gambit is the dawning of machine consciousness, which it wisely chose to focus on with the opening of season 2. At this point, it's literally one episode in, so I'm going to refrain from judging how good or bad or where it's going because this is obviously a catch-up and set-up episode for the rest of the season. What I will say is it feels good to see them remain as confident and assured in their vision as last time.

Also, props to Djawadi for bringing some unsettling electronic undertones to the score - System Shock 2 is a long way behind him, but he's still knocking out some excellent shit for the impending machine apocalypse.

Wow... Djawadi worked on System Shock 2? I had no idea. Do you know which particular pieces he contributed? (A quick glance at Wikipedia told me that several composers were involved in SS2.)

Anyway, we're still on Westworld S1, about two thirds into the season. I'm greatly enjoying it, but at the moment I find the puzzle-box elements frustrating, because they don't play all that well with the main themes of the series. I'm hoping they'll try (and indeed manage) to bring the two together as the series goes on.

Chakat sex pillow
    Eric Brosius says he did the moody orchestral pieces -- here.

S1 did feel lumpy because of what you're calling out, and that hasn't changed (yet). It's got its own compelling pull though, because unlike Lost et al., you know the explanation will be forthcoming - it's just unspooled slowly, with a good amount of craft. Now it's not a massive revelation or anything, but it's an angle I feel the detail-oriented would enjoy picking apart.

What I was lacking from the series were more uncanny valley moments... It seems it would be an interesting subject to explore in the series, but yet it is almost completely left out except for a few great moments like
    when that group of robots are rotting around a campfire in an infinite loop because the robot that was supposed to bring the firewood went off a cliff.
    Or when visiting Old Bill the decomissioned bartender in the basement below HQ
    I felt it was sort of a cheap trick to just let everyone be as human as possible (because hey... they are all played by human actors) and then later use that as an excuse for plot twists like "Oh, we got you there huh! I bet you didn't know X was actually a robot all along"

From memory they had code in place for what to do if a condition was not met etc etc. All that stuff comes down to how well designed the quests were. They cover that in the first season I'm pretty sure.

It's more or less the same as coding / scripting an event in a game, and whether or not you put checks in place of x not happening etc. Half-Life 2 was going to have stuff like that in there (and had it as seen in that 1 hour development video released in E3 long ago), but it didn't make the final cut.
    Last edited by icemann; 26th Apr 2018 at 06:37.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    From memory they had code in place for what to do if a condition was not met etc etc. All that stuff comes down to how well designed the quests were. They cover that in the first season I'm pretty sure.

It's more or less the same as coding / scripting an event in a game, and whether or not you put checks in place of x not happening etc. Half-Life 2 was going to have stuff like that in there (and had it as seen in that 1 hour development video released in E3 long ago), but it didn't make the final cut.
    So because a place like Westworld presumably would have great developers who deliver systems with no flaws, the uncanney valley isn't an interesting topic to explore in the series? I'm not sure I agree with that...

Avengers Infinity War.

If you've enjoyed a decent portion of the Marvel movies, go watch this. It's easily in the top 3 Superhero movies of all time, live action or animated. It does a good job of utilizing every previously established character that appears and Thanos' personality and motivations get a decent amount of exploration (for the genre at least).

So because a place like Westworld presumably would have great developers who deliver systems with no flaws, the uncanney valley isn't an interesting topic to explore in the series? I'm not sure I agree with that...
    I imagine they, in the writers' meetings, didn't want to undermine their golden egg at the center of the whole show, the engine powering the concept. There's probably a game theory concept that explains it.

Uncanny valley stuff is a valid topic. I was just addressing the example you gave as season 1 covered quite a bit the designer aspect behind it all, and the need for good quest makers who could create intricate story lines.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
    Avengers Infinity War.
    I will say this, considering the ridiculous amount of characters to juggle in this movie it's amazing that none of them were given short thrift.*

top 3 Superhero movies of all time
    I'm not sure I'd go that far, but it's a fun ride, that's for sure.

* Well, Ant Man only got a shout out and the Hulk was artificially throttled, but at least we got the Hulk Buster suit instead.

Still Subjective
    Infinity War.

It was alright. It wasn't boring. There were some good action scenes in it to be fair but at some point the CGI does get a bit OTT.

And it makes no sense going into hand to hand combat with aliens when you're supposed to have uber Wakanda weapons.

I watched the first few episodes of Jessica Jones.

No wonder this show was so popular and well received. It's like a love letter to basic bitches.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Avengers Infinity War.

If you've enjoyed a decent portion of the Marvel movies, go watch this. It's easily in the top 3 Superhero movies of all time, live action or animated. It does a good job of utilizing every previously established character that appears and Thanos' personality and motivations get a decent amount of exploration (for the genre at least).
    I also just saw it, and while I'm not about to put it in my Superhero top 3, I agree with everything else you're saying. That ending! Daaaaaaamn!

Page 168 of 206 FirstFirst ... 68118123128133138143148153158163164165166167168169170171172173178183188193198203 ... LastLast