TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    and while I'm not about to put it in my Superhero top 3...
    You know what, just for the hell of it. If I were to construct a Superhero/Comicbook Hero Top 3, it would go a little something, like this...

1. The Dark Knight
    2. Batman Returns
    3. Batman Begins

Tho if I could only pick one entry per franchise:

1. The Dark Knight
    2. Blade
    3. The Avengers

I mean I gotta watch Infinity War a few more times to really make up my mind, but at the moment I'm leaning towards the first one still being the best one. Or maybe Civil War should be in there? (No, it shouldn't.) Or Guardians? (also no)

Oh shit, maybe Darkman should be on there! Too late, the list has been made!

Chakat sex pillow
    The entire Nolan trilogy is your top 3? And Blade is in the top 3 when you have the option to discount 2/3rds of the trilogy? You're blowing my mind here man.

Anyway, mine as of right now regardless of any parameters except maximum superosity:

1. The Dark Knight
    2. Logan
    3. Superman (1978)

And if we're doing a top 5, I'd slam X2 and Guardians of the Galaxy in there. (Seriously, Bat Begins and Bat Returns were not great and 'enh, good if overhyped' respectively.)

Infinity War was pretty good, overstuffed but also darker than the last two Avengers movies -- which were okay biff bam boom spectacles but never quite had any stakes I cared about. This has stakes aplenty, and yeah, dat ending.

My reaction to the after-credits scene: 'Fucking hell, half of the universe is gone, but Nick Fury is still around? Get the hell out of my universe, Nick Fury!

*5 seconds later*

*sigh of relief* 'Oh, man. There is a god after all.'
    Last edited by Sulphur; 30th Apr 2018 at 03:17.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    The entire Nolan trilogy is your top 3?
    No, you're thinking of The Dark Knight Rises, not Batman Returns. Batman Returns is the Burton one where Burton got super-Burtony. And Michelle Pfeiffer was amazing as Catwoman. And Danny Devito was AMAAAAAAAZING as the Penguin. And Christopher Walken? Come on. Dark and theatrical and wacky, I liked it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    And Blade is in the top 3 when you have the option to discount 2/3rds of the trilogy?
    I don't know what you mean by that, Blade 2 was also pretty great. Blade 1 was great tho.

Logan might make my Top 5 as well.
    Last edited by henke; 30th Apr 2018 at 04:17.

Chakat sex pillow
    Ah right, the one where Catwoman is licked to life by a herd of cats. It might make it onto my top 10 because of its pure bravura insanity.

As for Blade, well it gets points for being 90s trench coat edgy and campy as all get out, but I wouldn't include it in a top anything. Except for Wesley Snipes' haircut, that is. So sharp you could cleave a rock in two with it.

Blade 2 was my favorite of the Blade trilogy. First was good, but the 2nd just nailed it. 3rd was a real let down. Awful.

My fav Batman's:

The Dark Knight
    Batman (the late 80s one)
    Batman Returns

And watched episode 2 for this season of Westworld. Man there is A LOT of time jumping going on. It's hard to keep track. Feels like season 4 of Lost. Was just as hard to keep track in Lost. Deloris needs to go down.

I look on Dolores and her little band, as like what if Wreck it Ralph was R-Rated. Like if Kratos in God of War had realized he was in a video game and rebelled. You'd have thought the higher ups would have built in some kind of kill switch (as any programmer would have). But then again, this whole thing was Ford's doing. From what I can recall from season 1, where even if they thought they were rebelling against the system, they were all in fact following Ford's programming/script he'd given them. I have no sympathy for her at all. She's a defective AI that needs to be shutdown and wiped clean (code wise). If you talk of mistreatment etc, then do that very thing against your creators then who is the better one?

I'm all for AI rights and all. I was all behind Data on Star Trek Next Gen. When it's an android specifically designed to be a NPC in a RPG though. That's different. Though I'm looking at it from a games development perspective, where if one of my NPCs in a level got defective and suddenly rebelled. I'd be shutting that down, finding the code responsible and wiping that clean. Or wiping it all and starting from scratch. More a product/program following a script. Show has me in two minds though since I'm all behind Maeve since she's broken free of her programming into something different. When she (Maeve) encountered Dolores that was a great bit in the episode. My impression is that she's of the opinion Dolores is still following a script that she is not aware she's following or that she's just deluded.

Dolores's join me, how could you not? Argument is completely flawed.

And that's my thoughts on the episode.
    Last edited by icemann; 1st May 2018 at 06:46.

DOLORES

Spanish name, not difficult. Please.

Chakat sex pillow
    I always thought Dolores was a lovely name. Doesn't lend itself very well to a shorter form, but that's part of its charm.

Gotta say though, yeah, she's not being very relatable now. (Though of course she doesn't have to be, and ideally shouldn't be.) It's a pretty one-note performance in terms of character which isn't a great change from how it was in S1, which also makes me hope that the show's just doing misdirection again. After all, Maeve is apparently still operating on her script but Dolores isn't, and yet the two seem to be acting in ways that belie that. The opening that showed Dolores parroting what she was taught didn't really contrast with her actions in the episode.

The episode also had a lot of what felt like filler, with the time jumps and exchanges in both past and present not illuminating anything we don't already know. Brother in law's still an asswipe. William/the main in black groks that Westworld's a pure business opportunity (like he did in S1) but shows signs that he doesn't quite believe in its potential, which we already grokked from the Man in Black's actions. Narratively, it's establishing little while the rest is treading water. I don't think we really needed two episodes to catch us up on what happened previously, but okay. I'm still here. Let's see where this goes.

IN OTHER NEWS
    , people have been able to create brain matter from stem cells that shows signs of neural activity. This is going to be ethically ponderous, but in terms of pure possibility, of where we could get to from here, we're living in amazing times.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 1st May 2018 at 06:04.

One bit of interesting info in the episode of note is that all the business bits you saw in that episode were all set after the "past" events of season 1.

So far I'm still liking season 1 better. I hope this isn't like Lost where the 1st was by far the best season.

Chakat sex pillow
    It should already be fairly obvious when those bits occurred since William's in them.

Damon Lindelof didn't write this Westworld adaptation, so I have no fears of it turning into Lost. Jonathan Nolan wrote the short story that became Memento, and co-wrote some of his brother's best movies, so I'm not worried about whether this will turn out to be worth the time in the end.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 1st May 2018 at 07:08.

What the f*** was with the "We're not here yet! part?
    Like... Am I supposed to believe this stupid story that the Westworld coorporation developed hundreds of years worth of AI and robot technology, bridging all manner of gaps in the process, without anyone outside of that secret operation knowing? Without significant parts of it being built upon other research and tech? Discoveries and advancements made by the collective effort of all science within both private and public sectors over many many years...?
    I mean, that IS how advancements are typically made... Pushing the ball ahead one tiny step at a time...
    Now here we are in WestWorld S2E2, Logan babbling about how he's fed up with startups begging him for cash, "AI, AR, VR..." Basically current day tech... Then he proceeds to have his mind blown by these 100% authentic human like robots... Yeah right..

Is quite the leap. Like jumping from cars to T.A.R.D.I.S's in one generation.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    You know what, just for the hell of it. If I were to construct a Superhero/Comicbook Hero Top 3, it would go a little something, like this...
    I personally feel that the Batman movies tend to be overrated, except the 1966 one which is IMO usually immensely underrated and LEGO Batman. Not that any of them are bad.

My current contenders for The Other 2 of My Top 3 Superhero movies are (in no particular order):
    Thor Ragnarok
    Hancock
    The Crow
    Black Panther
    Guardians of the Galaxy

Avengers Infinity War is in my Top 3 for being both a worthy payoff for 10 years & 18 movies of build up and a great compromise between staying faithful to the source material and being accessible to a far less invested audience.

The Crow I've always seen as a sad movie. It's completely a superhero movie, but just considering Brandon Lee's death etc. To go out making the best movie you've ever done. Gah. Kinda poetic.

Just don't watch the sequel.

Chakat sex pillow
    Oh, also, Best Superhero Movie (Sorta) No One Puts on These Lists: Chronicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyph1208 View Post
    What the f*** was with the "We're not here yet! part?
    Like... Am I supposed to believe this stupid story that the Westworld coorporation developed hundreds of years worth of AI and robot technology, bridging all manner of gaps in the process, without anyone outside of that secret operation knowing? Without significant parts of it being built upon other research and tech? Discoveries and advancements made by the collective effort of all science within both private and public sectors over many many years...?
    I mean, that IS how advancements are typically made... Pushing the ball ahead one tiny step at a time...
    Now here we are in WestWorld S2E2, Logan babbling about how he's fed up with startups begging him for cash, "AI, AR, VR..." Basically current day tech... Then he proceeds to have his mind blown by these 100% authentic human like robots... Yeah right..
    There's nothing saying they weren't halfway there yet, or any arbitrary number of steps either way. AR and VR don't really occupy the same sphere of tech, though naming AI was a bit sketchy, yeah.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 2nd May 2018 at 13:36.

Chakat sex pillow
    Oof. Legion. Tilted into the sort of horror it's been threatening to do since season 1. It's been a weird, trippy ride with astonishing visuals and a great soundtrack so far. Hawley's been listening to the same things I have, from Bon Iver to the National, and found some appropriate excuses to put them front and centre along with the visuals.

This week's standout isn't the fantastic Velvet Underground track though, it's Jeff Russo's calmly apocalyptic cover of Don't Come Around Here No More. The entire final sequence was masterfully done. Chills, man. Chills.

Just watched the first episode of the series "Cobra Kai". I am a HUGE fan of the original "Karate Kid" movie. Not so much the sequels, except for the first 10 minutes of the 2nd one. I went into watching this with VERY low expectations.

And I was about to say that Youtube produced this, but on checking the wikipedia page I see that it was produced by Sony and the executive producer for it was Will Smith. GOD DAYAM.

Anyways. As I was saying, went in with very low expectations. Well this first episode knocks it out of the park. This show is excellent. Love the change (for the first episode at least) over to former bully from the movie, and showing how his life has turned out since then. If your a fan of the movie then you need to watch this.

I'm hooked.

Nowadays you just don't see stuff come out that has the karate angle. In the 80s and 90s sure. But now no. This is a great refreshing change, with some 80s nostalgia.

Never was a big fan of Karate Kid, but this got me curious, especially the idea of exploring the other side, as it were, and yeah, it's a pretty great show. It's even more about the conflict between different philosophies than the movies were and I especially liked how it takes the winning is everything mentality and runs with it through all the consequences it brings.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Recently watched:

Dunkirk - more like DULLkirk! Ok, it wasn't bad, but it's probably my least-fave Nolan movie.

Deadpool - I rewatched this. Y'know, it's really good, but I think a lot of that hinges on the wackyness being offset by some really dark stuff. From what I've seen of the trailers for the sequel I'm sensing less dark stuff, and as a result I don't think it'll be as good. I hope I'm wrong.

The Professionals - Old western movie about some mercenaries who get hired to rescue a woman who's been kidnapped by a Mexican rebel-leader. Pretty good. The editing is snappier than most 60's movies and the story moves along at a good pace.

Manhunt - I was pleased to see John Woo's latest popping up on Netflix. Been looking forward to this since I saw the trailer which promised a return to the slo-mo guns-akimbo bullet-dodging style of his late 80's stuff. There's a shootout in a farmhouse in the middle of this where it really does live up to the old stuff. As for the rest of the movie around that scene? Eh, it's ok. The story jumps around so much it's kinda remarkable how much sense it makes, and there's MGS-worthy melodrama and a ton of characters, most of them with dramatic, tragic backstories which are SHOCKINGLY revealed at regular intervals throughout the movie. If you like old-school Woo, definitely check it out! If you're not, at least treat yourself to this highlight reel.

Hey btw did ya hear that Woo wants to remake The Killer with Lupita Nyong'o? I don't know man, his directing powers have constantly been diminishing since the mid-90's and I just don't think there's any way this could live up to the original. I'd rather he just embraced his current B-movie status as made a movie with Scott Adkins. That would be dooooooooooooope!

Episode 3 of Westworld S2 watched. Liked this more than the second episode. Some things are more clearer now.

Moderator and Priest
    On May 29th, I'll be watching the new season of Arrested Development, cuz HELL YEAH, YALL!

Also, Cobra Kai was great. Dunno how good it'd be for people who weren't fans of the original Karate Kid, but, yeah, it was great for me.

Finished going through "Cobra Kai". This is a great show to binge on. Loved every episode. If they do a second season I'll happily binge on that too.

Feels like the season of revivals. First we got Twin Peaks season 3, then Ash vs Evil Dead and now this. It's a good time to be in your 30s .

I watched Anon, a Netflix original movie from Gattaca director Andrew Niccol. As a movie it's kind of meh, not terrible but nothing special either, story's kind of muddy and its critique of privacy issues / the modern surveillance state is a little on-the-nose.

Visually, I found it interesting. It's very similar to Gattaca. Vintage cars with different engine sounds are supposed to be futuristic cars, and there are a lot of concrete buildings and interiors with sparse/no decorations that do a decent job of looking futuristic and dystopian. I found the movie nice to look at and therefore worth watching. But that's just me, I have no problem watching mediocre movies as long as they're visually stimulating. The naked women on display were also visually stimulating HURRDURR

Watched some more of it mostly because of Tennant's acting, which was quite entertaining although it didn't give anywhere near as much to work with as his other, better known role.

Onto Iron Fist. It's pretty bad too....Danny is a boring protagonist but at least he isn't grating to the ears the way Jessica Jones was. It also continues the Netflix trend of the villain being the most interesting characters: Madame Gao is a fantastic adversary.

Turns out Power Ranges was on Canadian Netflix so I said "sure, wouldn't watching some throwback action!"

Instead I got very little of that. They decided to make it this long, drawn out emotional drama about them discovering the power of friendship and sacrifice or somesuch....and they don't even get into their costumes until the final sequence of the film.

So a 1 & 3/4 hour film, and we get all of about five minutes of actual Power Ranger action.

Give me the 90s seasons of the show any day. Plus Kimberley (pink ranger) was hot.

[edit]

Watched the 4th episode for Westworld. Now we're getting somewhere. This episode was very good and introduces some new elements (transference of one's mind into one of the hosts) that were quite fascinating. The scenes with Ford with the former owner of the company were brilliant and later quite chilling. And the episode ties together a particular plot thread of this season finally. So many unanswered questions that it is good to finally get the answer to 1.
    Last edited by icemann; 16th May 2018 at 13:22.

Page 169 of 205 FirstFirst ... 69119124129134139144149154159164165166167168169170171172173174179184189194199204 ... LastLast