TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Watched the finale for season 2 of Westworld. Wow. So much happens. So many questions answered only to be replaced with new ones.

If there is a season 3 of this show, then it's going to be COMPLETELY different to before. Some great twists. All in all though, if they ended it here I'd be fine with that. Some questions are better left unanswered. Overall a great finale.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Spiderman: Homecoming - Awwww yeah, this is the best Marvel movie I've seen in a while! Possibly the best Spiderman movie as well.

Thor: Ragnarock - I was expecting it to be weirder, coming from Taika Waititi, but it's still very much a by-the-numbers Marvel movie. It's still good though, but not as good as Spiderman.

Elle - This was intense and interesting and good, although it does threaten to turn into a TV Soap at times, when it's trying to pack a dozen storylines into one movie.

Moana - I've listened to some of the songs a lot previous to seeing it, being a fan of Lin-Manuel Miranda's work, and I'm glad to say the movie lives up to the soundtrack!

Toy Story - I think I've only seen Toy Story 3 previously in this series. By today's standards the 3D animation is pretty rough in this, Pixar's first big feature, especially on the human characters. But the voice performances of the toys really do a lot to turn them into believable, lovable characters. Very good!

OVERALL SUMMARY OF MOVIES: THEY'RE GOOD

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Great and fairly unpredictable film, with a great cast. I haven't watched any of Martin McDonaghs other movies, so I don't know if I have been missing out.
    The movie does a great job of creating interesting multidimensional characters each with their own good and bad traits. As a viewer you are forced to consider, and then reconsider several of them as the plot progresses, something I think is hard to pull off in a good way within a 2 hour movie, yet I think this one at least mostly succeeded. I was left with as many questions as answers in the end, but that is how it had to be.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Split - Damn this was good! I went in not knowing much about it (except for the final twist, because of course the internet had ruined that surprise for me). Never a dull moment in this one, I was captivated throughout. That Shaymalan's career has been real up and down, but with this one he knocked it out of the park.

Patriots' Day - This one's about the Boston Marathon bombings. I didn't think the bombings themselves would have enough drama to sustain a entire movie, but I wasn't aware of just how crazy the ensuing manhunt got. I'm sure a lot of it is heightened, but a very thrilling movie anyway.

XXX: The Return Of Xander Cage - Well, it's as dumb and over-the-top as you'd want, but unlike the Fast & Furious movies it doesn't have the character drama to make you care about any of it, and as a result it kinda gets boring long before the end. Shame.

Moonlight - Ok, yes, this was pretty damn good. Oscar well deserved.

People Places Things - Jemaine Clement-starring dramedy about a divorcee cartoonist. It's enjoyable, but I seriously watched almost the entire thing before I realized I'd seen it before. So, uh, not super-memorable.

Cadillac Records - It's about Muddy Waters and Howlin Wolf and Chess Records and all that jazz. I mean, blues. Good cast, good tunes, good drama. Yeah, it's a good one.

Cars 3 - Well, this was pretty unremarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Patriots' Day - This one's about the Boston Marathon bombings. I didn't think the bombings themselves would have enough drama to sustain a entire movie, but I wasn't aware of just how crazy the ensuing manhunt got. I'm sure a lot of it is heightened, but a very thrilling movie anyway.
    I was very positively surprised by this film.

Not a huge fan of Peter Berg's movies, usually. I've found them to be either mediocre action comedies (Hancock) or mediocre rah rah America political action thrillers (The Kingdom). So when he released a movie called Patriots Day, of all things, I was just expecting more of the latter.

Turns out this was far more restrained, almost like a police procedural. And, as you say, very thrilling.

Still Subjective
    The Man from Uncle.

Not bad.

This video inspired me today. They've updated Conway's Game of Life to be continuous, with more complex & interesting rules, and at a higher resolution and it looks something like this. There's a Reddit thread on it here.

Chakat sex pillow
    I've not posted anything about seasons two of Legion, Westworld, or The Handmaid's Tale in a while, because this is the year of the sophomore slump. And from experienced showrunners, no less. At least one thread winds through all three of these, and that's over-indulgence. Messy and simultaneously over- and under-cooked is the theme, and I'm not a fan of this sloping off into pretentiousness (Legion) or uninspired homage (Westworld) and running in circles towards a net loss in momentum (Handmaid's). There are good things in all of these, though, and of the lot, The Handmaid's Tale managed to maintain its decorum and consistency to a degree, even if it remains a tedious exercise in finding and losing hope. And speaking of that, let's hope season 3 of each learns from the successes of the past and the mistakes of the present and welds their lumbering structure into something more compelling.

Meanwhile, two shows that don't have that problem: The Expanse remains a fantastic watch and benchmark sci-fi TV for this age even if its arc this season is all crests and troughs (what crests, though!), and Atlanta was an amazing, surreal, razor-sharp work of comedy that cuts deep for what was supposed to be 'Twin Peaks with rappers'.

LittleFlower
    I watched 2-3 episodes of Elementary on TV. I thought it was a mediocre series. But I actually liked it better than I thought. It's not just Lucy Liu. So I downloaded series 1 - 5, to watch via my little media-player. That's 120 episodes. And in September/October, season 6 will be available.

For shorter series, I have a rule that I don't watch more than 1 episode per night. E.g. I did that when I watched Dark (German netflix series) or Stranger Things or Mr. Robot. I think binge-watching is dumb. But when a series has many episodes, I allow myself to watch 2 episodes per night. (A couple of years ago, I watched the original Law&Order series, seasons 1-12, that's 240 episodes). I don't watch TV every night. So even if I really like a series, I might be watching 5-10 episodes per week.

Elementary seasons 1 to 6 will have 141 episodes.
    I'm set for the next 17 weeks !
    I will not have to be be looking for something else to watch, until December. Nice.

Started watching the handmaids tale. Its brilliant. Its like a cross between children of men and 1984.

SShock2.com

Quote Originally Posted by Thriftweed View Post
    the handmaids tale
    Yes. I thoroughly enjoyed watching season one, perhaps because it was pandering to what I already believe, but nevertheless, very enjoyable. Not had the time yet to start season two, but I've recorded it, I just need a bit of spare time. I think there might be a reason it works so well in the current social/political climate, but I don't want to give any spoilers. Just watch it. Published in 1985. If you're old enough to remember that age, extrapolate in an awful direction.

Moderator and Priest
    The new Ducktales is rad, yall. RAD!

But is the theme song just as awesone?

Level 10,000 achieved
    GLOW Season 2 - Some of the drama early in the season felt a bit contrived and out of character just to set things up for later, but besides that a really solid season. Even better than the first one. Great performances by Allison Brie and Marc Maron.

The Dark Tower - Decent, but forgettable.

Altered States - William Hurt plays a scientist who uses mind-altering substances to alter his physiology and turn himself into an APEMAN! A weird, slow acid-trip of a movie.

Captain Phillips - Like a real-life Die Hard. Good stuff.

Logan Lucky - Wonderful performances and interesting characters. I liked Adam Driver more in this than in anything else he's done.

Kingsman: The Golden Circle - I watched this the day after seeing Logan Lucky, and BOTH MOVIES features characters who spontaneously start singing "Take me home, Country Roads"! I thought I was loosing my mind, man. Anyway, just as over-the-top and fun as the first Kingsman. Great actionscenes set to great music. Elton John is great as Elton John.

Batman: Gotham by Gaslight - It's steampunk Batman hunting Jack The Ripper. You'll never guess who the Ripper is. I did not see it coming.

American Honey - This is kind of an ambling plot-less thing that gets by on it's characters and performances. I liked it.

I think I watched Altered States during a phase about twenty years ago when I suffered from insomnia, which got so bad that once or twice I had hallucinations (I was fully aware that they were hallucinations, but it was still worrying when I saw that giant spider on the wall with black-and-orange striped legs.) I'm still not sure whether that was the best time to watch Altered States or the worst - or both.

On a totally different note, yesterday I watched the Jane Austen adaptation Love and Friendship by Whit Stilman. Very funny and well performed; other Austen adaptations lean into the romance much more heavily, but this one is first and foremost satire/comedy, which works brilliantly. One of the characters is the funniest idiot I've seen in a comedy in a long, long time, pretty much stealing every scene he's in.

Still Subjective
    Yeah, it was quite good fun.

Saw How it Ends and Warcraft. They were okay. 3/5

SShock2.com

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    Warcraft
    As a player of WoW, I do want to see the movie, but as a lover of movies, I will probably hate it. Can you please elaborate a little bit about your experience watching it? Was it horrible? Do you play the game? Did they get things wrong/right?

Still Subjective
    I played Warcraft aaaages ago. The RTS I mean. And just for a bit so I don't really remember it.
    I played WoW for a couple of months when it it was at peak popularity - because a friend was really, really into it. It was fun but too much of a time sink.

I think as a WoW fan you'll appreciate some things others won't, including me. As a film lover, meh. It's so so. It looks very CG but it's quite nice looking CG.

SShock2.com

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    time sink.
    That is the one reason I do play it.

So, as far as videogame movies go, it's not Uwe Boll-bad?

Still Subjective
    I've never seen a Boll film so I can't say.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I liked the main orc guy in the Warcraft movie. I liked the way he was animated and performed, but besides that I hardly remember anything about the movie. So, not super-memorable. See it if it pops up on a streaming service, I say.

Warcraft is decent if unspectacular. It's certainly miles above crap like the Uwe Boll video game movies and the Mortal Kombat movies. Like the Prince of Persia movie, it's competently made and not a total mess.

Personally, Warcraft is my favourite movie based on a computer game, although that is showering it with faint praise.

By contrast, my sister - who isn't particularly au fait with games - much prefers the Assassin's Creed and Prince of Persia movies, fwiw.

Mortal Kombat then Silent Hill for me.

And the Warcraft movie runs off the Warcraft 3 retconning of the previous 2 games plots where the orcs are concerned. So now their invading purely down to the burning legion's demonic influence, rather than them doing what they do because that's what orcs do.

I'll take the FOR THE HORDE!!!! original version of them any day.

MI Fallout. Surprisingly good.

Page 171 of 206 FirstFirst ... 71121126131136141146151156161166167168169170171172173174175176181186191196201 ... LastLast