TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

SShock2.com

Right, I'll have to see the Warcraft movie now, so I can whine about all the details they got wrong later. But I'll casually wait until it's on some free TV channel, I won't throw any more money at Blizzard, I'm already sending them a heap of cash every month so that my undead warlock can be horribly mocked and belittled by 13-year-olds who are way better at the game than I am.

Still Subjective
    Ant Man and The Wasp

I fell asleep.

Twice.

But I was just really tired. It was pretty good.

I went and watched that last night. Excellent movie overall. Nothing outstanding but its definitely entertaining.

8/10

Still Subjective
    Did I mention MI: Fallout?

Also pretty good. The previous was better though.

Three Identical Strangers.

All I can truly say is: Holy Shit.

BANNED
    I love AMC's A list.
    before that I had movie pass.
    so
    Sicario
    American Animals
    Incredibles 2
    superfky
    ant man/wasp
    the first purge
    Jurasic
    equalizer
    sorry to bother you
    mama mia
    fallout
    chrsitopher robin
    darkest minds
    dog days
    and today I get to watch crazy rich asians

Red Sparrow
    Lots of spy-thriller clichés here and also Jennifer Lawrence being naked just for the sake of it... Skin transplant torture freaked me out

I binge watched the first two seasons of Twin Peaks. I'm now half way through the 2017 season. It's sooooo fucking weird.

Be interesting how you find that second half. My favorite was the first episode of that season, with the guy being payed to stare at the enclosed box, and later the resulting chaos.

Yeah, I'm still trying to connect the dots with some parts of the show.

If you've seen the particular episode that focuses around a particular explosion then I'll bet that completely weirded you out. Did for me.

I saw that episode and I'm having waking nightmares from that thing crawling out of the egg in the desert, then crawling into that girls mouth.x.
    I get the feeling that the whole thing is about a portal that was opened up to some alien world but is also like opening Pandora's box. It's less comedic than the first seasons and I'm getting bored with Agent Cooper's amnesia.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Brawl in Cellblock 99 - It starts with a man loosing his job as a mechanic. In order to support for his family he goes back to his old criminal life of running drugs. He falls in with the wrong people and winds up in jail. This movie is like a journey into hell. It is the most violent and fucked up thing I've seen in a long time. It's as if Lars Von Trier made an action movie. A day after seeing it I still have a sick feeling in my stomach from some of the scenes. Great movie though.

Quote Originally Posted by mxleader View Post
    I saw that episode and I'm having waking nightmares from that thing crawling out of the egg in the desert, then crawling into that girls mouth.x.
    I get the feeling that the whole thing is about a portal that was opened up to some alien world but is also like opening Pandora's box. It's less comedic than the first seasons and I'm getting bored with Agent Cooper's amnesia.
    My thoughts there was that it opened up a way in from some kind of demon/hell dimension (aka like in Event Horizon kinda). They don't really explain what happened to the girl after that. My thinking is that that was the beginning of where that demon spirit thingy that would possess people started. Which you do see the face of it/him going into the egg if I remember right. Maybe it then followed on her family bloodline from sibling to sibling. A complete guess.

Yeah, that kind of makes sense. I'm confused as to why agent Cooper and Diane drive off to that spot and end up in another place. Then he wakes up and she's gone. Then he seems to bounce around in time or something. Or maybe he ends up in a different dimension. There is also some point to the numbers on the telephone poles and he seems to feel that he needs to make something right by returning Laura Palmer home. Anyway, the show seems to bounce around between aliens, demons and the twilight zone.

I think he was jumping between parallel universes at that bit.

And I just watched "Black Panther". Bloody hell. Can the Marvel movies do no wrong (besides occasional average sequels) ? This is an excellent movie, and it is damn refreshing to get a super hero movie with an Africa focus. You don't see that happen almost ever. Yes it's somewhat predictable and does follow the general super hero movies tropes, but meh so what I really enjoyed it.

10/10

If only the DC movies could be this good, this often. Wonder Women was about the only one in recent memory that was great on that end.

Still Subjective
    I recently watched Man of Steel again. I really like it. I think it's the best DC film in this set, yes better than WW.

But the best DC film of all is still Batman Begins.

Be either Dark Knight or the original Tim Burton Batman for me. Can't decide. Their both awesome movies.

Just finished the first season of Taboo

It is a semi-historical account of the struggles to control the Nootka Sound, a critical port on the west coast of Vancouver Island, the gateway to China and the very lucrative trade in sea otter pelts. And tea.

I also recently finished another Canadian "historical" series called, Frontier, featuring Kahl Drogo (Jason Momoa) as a bloodthirsty fur trader bent on revenge against agents of SATAN in the guise of the Hudson's Bay Company.

Frontier wore thin after a few shows. The villains are irredeemable, committing acts of treachery and cruelty which not only challenge historical fact but credible story telling. Protagonists teeter between supernatural cunning and infantile blundering, getting stupidly captured once or twice an episode, only to escape brilliantly. In one case, our heroes hide out in the one building the bumbling red coats neglect to search. After two desperate nights they make their break, under cover of FULL fucking daylight.

Luckily they can sustain repeated life altering injuries, like a musket ball to the hip, a knife to the entrails, an organ rupturing beating or a sustained face pummeling. A few dabs with a filthy rag and they are good to go. Who knew our ancestors were so tough?

The costumes are not quite as bad as the BBC's retelling of Robin Hood, (with merry men in digital camo) but pleather and microfiber make jarring appearances. Exactly where street urchins get the money for haute couture leather jackets is never explained.

The plotting is convenient, the dialogue is stilted and the accents are often cringe worthy.

It's sad because the actual stories of the war between the HBC and the North West Company were real drama, with historical consequences for North America. No need for fake history.

Taboo is an entirely fictional history as well but the execution is far better. The sun never shines on 1800's London apparently. And the muck never ends. Every one has a patina of oil and grime. Even aristocrats have dirt encrusted nails. Keep some wet wipes handy. The dental prosthetics are brilliant (or the casting director worked overtime). So many shades of ivory. The costumes are spot on and James Delaney's hat is as bad ass as Tom Hardy's depiction.

But while the protagonists are multi dimensional the villains are flat and demonic, horse faced aristocrats and bloated lackeys. The gore and brutality are relentless, verging on unnecessary. Again it is fortunate that Delaney is immune to sepsis and bone fractures.

I still recommend it though. I just hope season two comes with subtitles so I can catch more than a third of the dialogue the first time around.

Ridley Scott's involved in Taboo, isn't he? With him, I'd be surprised if the series didn't at least look very good.

Level 10,000 achieved
    You know who else is involved in Taboo? A GUY FROM FINLAND! (THATS RIGHT) Directed like 4 episodes! Whatevs! No, not whatevs, I meant to say awesome! FINLAND! FINLAND! FINLAND!

I haven't seen the show tho.

I'll watch it - if the series features stilts. Otherwise it's Fake Finnish.

Scott is a producer. Oh, Taboo looks fantastic. The attention to detail is amazing. It's a slow grind but it gets there. The acting is superb. The writing is somewhat uneven.

You definitely need to see it.

I am being a bit hard on it and that may be a more personal than I would admit. My buddy, who is a Ridley Scott fan boy, thinks it's neigh perfect but then he thinks Frontier is wonderful, when it really is pretty bad. I give him no quarter.

There are no stilts (thought you wrote slits at first - none of those either). There is a grubby brothel, of course, and a "molly house", inhabited by transvestites and homosexuals in flaking pancake makeup. Will that do?

To be honest, I've somewhat avoided Taboo to date because the previews made it look like a production designer's dream - which isn't bad in and of itself, but it often (and not least in Ridley Scott productions) tends to go hand in hand with a clearly reduced focus on writing. It also looked like it wanted to appeal to the fans of Peaky Blinders, a series I enjoyed quite a bit for a season or so but then got tired of. Seeing how I've already got more series to watch than I have time, I didn't put it particularly high on my list. Perhaps I should give it a chance, though.

(Oh, and the moment I use the word "slits" in the sense that you possibly thought I was using it, I hope someone'll come and bludgeon me to death with a pair of stilts. That person can, but doesn't have to be, a Finn.)

Page 172 of 209 FirstFirst ... 72122127132137142147152157162167168169170171172173174175176177182187192197202207 ... LastLast