TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Chakat sex pillow
    The first episode is a statement of intent for the show - how technology (specifically the kind that enables video sharing and social media) can be weaponised, and the kind of political pressure public opinion can push onto hapless people, via increasingly dark satire. It's the ideal way to be introduced to the show's atmosphere, and its observations remain on point, even in current-day political discourse in this forum. The Kavanaugh shitstorm has Facebook to thank for some of its momentum, after all.

Still Subjective
    The series should be watched in order.

Why?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Watched the Netflix-film Cargo yesterday, and today I watched the 7 minute short film it was based on. Turns out the film is basically just the 7 minute short + 98 minutes of useless padding.

So here, just watch the short.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Why?
    If I say, it'll spoil it.

Do it. You'll appreciate it.

Well, it's obviously too late for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    If I say, it'll spoil it.

Do it. You'll appreciate it.
    Go ahead, spoil it (in SPOILERS). I know the plots of most if not all the episodes anyway, and I've watched all of the first two seasons and some of seasons 3 and 4. I have a faint idea what you might be referring to, but nothing that IMO would make watching the episodes in sequence essential.

Ok, having watched every episode of Black Mirror now, I can say I think the first episode is the worst one. Ironically, we're talking about Callister being "hamfisted". Hmm..... The first one is literally going on a ham.

Of the three epps from season 1, Fifteen Million Merits seemed more poignant and also The Entire History of You. Both better.

From season 2, The Waldo Moment stuck out because it reminded me of Trump somehow.

Season 3, Men Against Fire, San Junipero, and Nosedive stood out as best. I actually think Nosedive could have stood up as the whole series pilot had it been made first.

Season 4, Arkangel and Hang The DJ were the best for me.

Are there more in production? I wonder if this is an eternal spring, or if will run dry.

My daughter just texted me that a friend told her it's about a show that with just one push, we are there. I think with much of it, we ARE there.....

Yeah, the reason they are so scary is that most of it is happening right now. Fifteen Million Merits, for example, was inspired by prison programs where inmates would ride bicycles to generate power, but then it takes that concept and shows us how a lot of modern people's lives are about getting on that treadmill, earning merits, and consuming entertainment. And whether you're for it or against it, you're still part of the program.

The technology on the show merely amplifies already existing human tendencies. There's not a lot on the show that couldn't happen with much less high tech.
    Last edited by Starker; 10th Oct 2018 at 03:47.

Chakat sex pillow
    I'm waiting for that bright spark in someone's marketing team to combine FaceID with in-app advertising that forces you to look at the screen and finish watching a commercial before it lets you continue using the app/streaming the data you wanted, and how we as a civilisation are going to deal with that brilliant idea.

We as a civilization will hack it almost immediately, of course.

Chakat sex pillow
    I'm sorta intrigued by approaches to that. FaceID incorporates machine learning that works with its mapping of your facial structure that can help it recognise your mug through glasses and hats and whatever, the data of which I assume is stored locally instead of some secure cloud thing that'll be busted open in some random hackathon for shits and giggles - if that's correct, it makes unauthorised entry possible only through network backdoors or social engineering attacks (or simply just swiping someone's phone and pointing it at their face as they glare at you).

It still strikes me as less secure than Touch ID (or, indeed, a simple PIN), which at least had the benefit of capacitive sensors that wouldn't work if the finger being applied belonged to someone who's shuffled off of this mortal coil.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Go ahead, spoil it (in SPOILERS). I know the plots of most if not all the episodes anyway, and I've watched all of the first two seasons and some of seasons 3 and 4. I have a faint idea what you might be referring to, but nothing that IMO would make watching the episodes in sequence essential.
    Ok.

There are loads of easter eggs that are chronological. You won't see them if you don't watch in order, or at least you won't fully get them.

I also think the first episode of the first series is one of the best episodes.

People focus on one thing. Well it seems Americans do.

But it's about much more than that. It's about society.

Moderator and Priest
    This. I watched this.

So Walking Dead will be on soon. I hope they end it after this season.

Doctor Who's back on, but I'm done with new who. Too different now. I'll forever love the oldies.

[edit]
    Just watched "The Founder". Wow. Sure it's a 2 hour advertisement for McDonald's, but a very interesting story none the less. Man the original creators got COMPLETELY screwed over.
    Last edited by icemann; 11th Oct 2018 at 10:25.

Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    I also think the first episode of the first series is one of the best episodes.

People focus on one thing. Well it seems Americans do.

But it's about much more than that. It's about society.
    Not American, and I got the point of the show.

Chakat sex pillow
    ...and only tangentially related, but in the same domain as a recent Black Mirror episode (you know, the black and white one about an incredibly persistent sentry robot, directed by the guy who directed Hannibal's best-looking episodes), Boston Dynamics continue to scare the everliving bejeezus out of us with their leaps in technology.

And better news: it can do parkour now, too.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 12th Oct 2018 at 13:01. Reason: fuck off, refsrc tags

Oh Metalhead. Bad dogs! Bad!

They never said anything about those dogs in the whole show.

I imagined that, at one time, every wealthy home and every business wanted one of these things for security purposes. They were probably touted as the ultimate guard dogs for your warehouse or your home to protect your family. No one could escape these things, and even if someone did somehow manage to get away, the guard dog stuck them with jagged RFID chips to track the criminal down.

Then something went wrong. Software glitch maybe? Who knows, but now there is no distinction between friend or foe.

Sad at the end to see what they were trying to get out of that warehouse.

Moderator and Priest
    I just finished binging my way through The Haunting of Hill House. That was a lot different than what I thought it would be, and it works out all the better for it.

I loved the original 1963 take of the book, thought the 1999 version was one of the worst things ever put to film. Going by the trailer, I figured the series would try to land itself somewhere between the two, leaning on jump scares over tension, but better crafted. It ended the total opposite of that, being more of a psychological character study of a family torn apart by two months of horror during the summer of '92, how the father came to cope with the fallout, and how it effected the lives of his children as adults. The first 5 episodes are dedicated to one of the 5 kids, showing their perspective on the events of the past, and in the present as they all come together to mourn a new tragedy in the family.

It's crafted very much in the vein of modern slow burn horror stories, being more concerned with the family itself, parsing the spooky supernatural stuff out sparingly for maximum effect.

...though that's not to say it doesn't ever lean on the tried and true tropes of the genre. There are a couple three jump scares thrown in for flavor, one that blindsided me so thoroughly, it just about knocked me out of my chair.

If I have one complaint about it, it'd be the ending. It shouldn't have tied up on a bittersweet note, with the remaining members of the family gaining hard earned closure, and moving on with their lives. The whole story felt like it was building up to a mule kick to the solar plexus, but it decided to pull it all back at the last second. The house needed to win, top to bottom.

Chakat sex pillow
    I'm watching it too, but I'm feeling a bit wary because it's written and directed by the guy who did Oculus. That film could have been relatively smart and well-executed horror, but unravelled before the third act, and the finale predicated itself on the characters doing stupid things (as per usual). So what's your non-spoilery take on the ending for the show?

Also, I'm at the third episode and I like the cinematography mostly, especially the use of match cuts to link the past and present in this one (even if they don't always quite link up - how does opening a door to a room in the house match with opening the door to a fridge, hm?), but can someone please tell 'em to stop that gradual, slow zoom in on a character's face for each new scene? It's distracting and annoying, and even matched by a slow zoom out in places for extra urgh sauce.

Moderator and Priest
    There's really only one thing I thought the ball was dropped on. It's not a deus ex machina, but given that it's treated somewhat as a background event throughout the show, mostly mentioned, rarely shown, never really focused upon, it's sudden importance at the end loses a lot of its impact. You'll know what I'm talking about when you get to it, I'm sure.

Beyond that, the story is fine. Really honestly, so is the ending. None of the family ever act out of character, doing random stupid things primarily to further the plot. If anything, it subverts your expectations by having them all do things that actually make sense, given the circumstance. This nice streak of people not acting like total idiots doesn't fall apart by the end. The two siblings who do the wrong things were the most effected by the house in the past, and are severely emotionally compromised in the present. When it comes to the ending, it's not the structure or reasoning exactly, so much as the tone of it. My problems with it are entirely subjective, I'll admit, but I don't think it ends the way a good horror story should.

Thanks to Monster Madness month over on Cinemassacre, it mentioned a thriller movie from the late 70s called "Tourist Trap". Looked to be a really weird movie. So had a watch and yep its most certainly that. Went in expecting a movie that was all over the place, and got that. For a B-Grade thriller it has some good effects for it's time, but man you really need to be a B-Grade horror/thriller fan to enjoy this as it is just odd.

Plot kept me going as for a good chunk of it your not 100% sure who the killer is, and the supernatural stuff going on with the dolls / mannequins is great. The ending makes zero sense at all. She kills the main murderer behind it all, and then suddenly shes driving down the street in a jeep that's suddenly working again and has it filled up with mannequins. Huh?. According to Cinemassacre the guy who did the makeup and effects for "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" (the 70s one) did the effects and stuff for this and it REALLY shows. The main bad guy looks VERY similar to leather face. Only 2 of the actors from this have I seen in anything else. Definitely seen the murderer in something else.

A movie to watch once if you like B-Grade stuff, but only once as the fun with it is in not knowing what's going to happen, who the main killer is, and the dread from all the weird shit going on.

5/10 from me. I suspect the main majority of people would give it a 3 or 4, but I love B-Grade stuff.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    There's really only one thing I thought the ball was dropped on. It's not a deus ex machina, but given that it's treated somewhat as a background event throughout the show, mostly mentioned, rarely shown, never really focused upon, it's sudden importance at the end loses a lot of its impact. You'll know what I'm talking about when you get to it, I'm sure.

Beyond that, the story is fine. Really honestly, so is the ending. None of the family ever act out of character, doing random stupid things primarily to further the plot. If anything, it subverts your expectations by having them all do things that actually make sense, given the circumstance. This nice streak of people not acting like total idiots doesn't fall apart by the end. The two siblings who do the wrong things were the most effected by the house in the past, and are severely emotionally compromised in the present. When it comes to the ending, it's not the structure or reasoning exactly, so much as the tone of it. My problems with it are entirely subjective, I'll admit, but I don't think it ends the way a good horror story should.
    Sounds good. Oculus was also generally better at depicting a sibling relationship, so it's good to see that they've focused more on what they're good at. It has the knock-on effect of making those things that go bump in the night scenes more unsettling when they do happen, because the contrast is more stark when the bulk of the runtime is relatable familial tension. And as a bonus, you tend to care more about who the scary stuff's happening to because of all the time spent on the characters (in theory, anyway - horror and long-form serialisation still strikes me as a formula easily prone to fatigue at some point).

Page 175 of 206 FirstFirst ... 75125130135140145150155160165170171172173174175176177178179180185190195200205 ... LastLast