TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What have you watched lately?

I really enjoyed Oculus + the ending. Though with the constant time jumps, that really threw me off.

Level 10,000 achieved
    A live-action remake of Jin-Roh popped up on Netflix yesterday, just like that. So I watched it. It's called Illang: The Wolf Brigade now, for some reason.

The story is about North and South Korea reuniting, and as they do so a terrorist organizaiton called Sect arrises to try to put a stop to the reunification. In response a "Special Unit" is formed to fight Sect, and also within the Special Unit there's a unit called The Wolf Brigade. After a Special Unit soldier kills a young girl who's a Sect member he feels guily, seeks out the girl's sister to try to set things right. Look, the story is kind of unweildy, and at two and a half hours the whole thing is kind of a flabby mess. On the plus side, it's directed by Jee-woon Kim (who also did "The Good, The Bad, and the Weird", and "A Bittersweet Life"), so at least you know it has some nice action scenes, and it's also gorgeously shot and lit.

It's been ages since I saw Jin-Roh, the anime it's based on, so I can't really compare it. Tho IIRC I wasn't a huge fan of the anime either.

Also seen:
    Hardcore Henry - this was fun and inventive, tho light on plot.

Hold The Dark - Very cool ambiance(pun intended because I'm very clever), but overall it's just... ok.

Kodachrome - On my "Best Netflix Originals of 2018 - Bad Dad category" list, this is second after Kristen Bell/Kelsey Grammer double-header "Like Father", but ahead of David Spade-vehicle "Father of the Year".

Operation Finale - A movie about Israelis hunting down Nazi war criminals. Fine performances, but this is also a Netflix Original, so of course it has that certain sheen of blandness seemingly required of all of their movie productions.

I've been watching a lot of these Netflix Originals recently, will have to do a Best of 2018 list at some point. Spoiler: none of them are great, except "Annihilation".

Level 10,000 achieved
    Just came back from seeing A Star Is Born. It was great.

Next week going to watch Halloween on Halloween. Reviews have mostly good of it too. So should be cool. When H20 came out I had the pleasure of watching that in the cinema on actual Halloween. That was awesome.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Daredevil S3, ep 9. This is bleak. o_______o

Level 10,000 achieved
    For some spooky Halloween-viewing I watched Errementari.

Which, eh, didn't really turn out to be spooky at all. It was pretty fun though. It has a theatrical and sometime silly Sam Raimi-kinda vibe to it. Slapstick comedy where people fall head-first into beartraps, demons with faces for butts, etc. Good stuff.

I watched Hereditary for Halloween. It's genuinely creepy but don't expect any jolts out of your chair like you see in jump-scare movies. It's just as much a family drama as it is a horror movie, and the dramatic scenes are well done. The acting, sets and cinematography are excellent and it has a hauntingly creepy score. The girl in the movie gives other creepy girls like Esther from Orphan a run for their money.

I liked it but I think the hype surrounding it where they were talking about 'scariest movie ever' is a lot of hyperbole. 8/10

Today being Halloween, just had to go to one of the few remaining drive-in's left over here to go and watch "Halloween". Despite the name it's treated as a sequel to the first movie and skips all the sequels.

How was it? Well. I'd watched several reviews and they were all over the place. Angry Joe said it was boring and average and James Rolfe loved it and said that he wished we got a new Halloween movie every year.

Went and watched it myself and I loved it too. It's straight up slasherflick. You don't see movies done like that anymore, but here we are. Wow. Very authentic and faithful to the original. So Michael's back to being a straight up human. No supernatural mumbo jumbo. 100% human. Cool . Sadly for me the trailer I watched prior to seeing it ruined 75% of the best bits. Damn US trailers grrr.

Beyond that, loved it. They even broke a particular horror movie rule I don't see get broken that often. That was a surprise when it happened. Excellent movie. Great acting all round, especially from Jamie Lee Curtis. She should be in more movies these days. She's still got it.

10/10

Ok, I'll mention that I just binged on Suits on Netflix for the sake of asking a question. Does anyone know why Netflix is missing the last 6 episodes of season 7? Do they have some agreement with USA Network to stay a full calendar year behind first runs of the show or something? I was frustrated by the sudden stop. I'd like to know if those last six episodes are going to come around.

Also, how is season 8 going without Patrick and Meagan?

Watched Bohemian Rhapsody last night and it was great.
    I quite like Queens music, and you are treated to plenty of their hits in the movie (incl an almost full length remake of their 1985 Wembley Stadium Live Aid 20 min. concert at the end).
    The movie focuses by far mostly on Freddie, his talent, sexuality, partners etc. with the rest of the band members being mostly there because... well... They were part of the band... Freddie was a great and very charismatic artist, but a tiny part of me feels its a bit of a shame when considering the personalities of all of these people and potential for storytelling lost. Most Queen fans probably know that eg. the lead guitarist Brian May, as a teenager, built his own electric guitar with his father in their garage using wood from an old fireplace mantle, and an oak dining table (Worm holes plugged with matchsticks). fitted it with home built or modified electronics, a home built and designed tremolo system from an old hardened steel knife, etc.
    A guitar he would go an to almost exclusively use during Queens "reign", and still uses to this day (where he btw now also holds a PhD in astrophysics)... Maybe (probably) including stories like those would make the story much more messy, I dunno.

If I had to give any critique, the movie, at times, paints a bit of a glossy picture of Freddie and the band as these perfect genius and ingenious musicians, just pulling what would go on to be absolute masterpiece classics, out of their asses and being, if not solely responsible, then at least very much responsible, for the large amount of donations given at the live aid concert etc.
    Last edited by Tommyph1208; 1st Nov 2018 at 05:19.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by uncadonego View Post
    Ok, I'll mention that I just binged on Suits on Netflix for the sake of asking a question. Does anyone know why Netflix is missing the last 6 episodes of season 7?
    That must be very frustrating and I can only imagine it's to do with USA Network rights as you suspect. It's probably not much consolation but they're up to date on the UK version of Netflix through to season 8 - perhaps a holiday, physical or virtual is in order?

Quote Originally Posted by uncadonego View Post
    Also, how is season 8 going without Patrick and Meagan?
    It pretty much continues the trend about the show being about the characters and less about the cases that they may be involved with. Obviously the tone has changed with two of the main characters not being there but it probably was due a bit of a refresh anyway and I'm finding it enjoyable enough - far better than I'd expected given how integral those characters were to the show originally.

Still Subjective
    I, on the other hand, started watching The Good Wife on Amazon.

I cannot watch Suits anymore. In comparison it's so, so vapid. Season 8 is really dull imho. Without Mike it's much weaker.

It already went downhill since they stopped caring about his memory. The start was interesting because it was like a lowkey superpower. Now it's just posing and not even good posing. And Lewis would get thrown out the window in RL.

The Good Wife, on the other hand, is great. Really great.

How far are you with The Good Wife? We've seen the first two seasons and enjoyed a lot of it, and the cast is great, but IMO they make a major misstep with Kalinda in S2 and they bring in an antagonist for her that is just painful to watch.

Still Subjective
    Finished it yesterday.

Want to expand on the Kalinda comment? Which antagonist?

It's Blake Calamar, the other investigator brought in by the new partner in the second season. IMO Scot Porter, the actor, is a price example of good-looking bland; he neither has a sense of menace nor does the sexual tension work. Archie Panjabi has to carry the entire weight of that silly, protracted storyline. So what we get is a long storyline that would require some sort of ambiguous chemistry between the two characters, but instead it's long, boring and consists almost entirely of posturing. Bleh.

I watched "I Am Legend" of Will Smith.

Chakat sex pillow
    Ideally I'd want to bounce some thoughts around for a few days before talking about a show I just watched, but in the case of Maniac, I don't think there's going to be more for me to say in a couple days' time. Fair warning - there's loads of soft spoilers below, but I'm tagging the more explicit ones.

It's a show that's as ambitious and fractured as its opening suggests: a portentous voiceover about creation, and the universe, and how everything is connected, that then cuts to a retrofuturistic vision of the world of today if we'd never moved away from the grey, grungey, monolithic mainframe tech and lurid neon of the 80s. The opening episode did very little to make me sympathetic to its premise, which was two people dealing with mental issues of their own - paranoid schizophrenia and anxiety-depression issues respectively - and whose worlds collide in a shady pharmaceutical trial.

But it gets better. Let's talk about the good stuff: the set design is fantastic, with shades of Blade Runner and Alien and [random 80s movie] shot through the 'real' world scenes, the cinematography is great, and Cary Fukunaga's (whose name should be familiar to people who've seen True Detective) direction teases out some great performances from Emma Stone and Jonah Hill while bouncing them through some surreal genre-bending that's very enjoyable on its own terms. While the show's mostly Cary exercising his formidable stylistic chops, they let Jonah Hill loose often enough that I couldn't help but laugh (at his ridiculous mullet, his ridiculous braids, and an amazingly terrible Icelandic/Swedish-Finnish-Italian-German accent respectively), and Justin Theroux gets to do a fantastic impression of a broken embarrassment of a man. The gooey centre of the show, however, remains the connection that Jonah Hill and Emma Stone's characters share - and it almost works.

Which brings us to the not so great stuff. There's a thread of feeling that the show mines from Emma Stone's story that feels genuine and completely earned especially when combined with her powerhouse of a performance in these scenes, but I couldn't say the same for Hill's character or his schizophrenia, which is left ambiguous (and features spontaneous popcorn kernels, bizarrely enough) and unacknowledged for much of the run-time because it needs to be mired in a trope-y familial loyalty subplot. The show's at its best when it goes completely unhinged and blurs genre boundaries, yet keeps it sane with the through-line of Hill and Stone finding their way back to each other somehow; everything else has an undercooked mealiness to it, from Theroux's oedipal issues, to Sally Field's overbearing mother figure, to the entire GRTA computer meltdown and subsequent third-act crisis that unspools from this - as plot critical as these apparently are, there's a tonal problem in that they're almost all played for laughs, which completely undercuts the urgency the crisis is supposed to generate. And for all that stylistic heft and set design prowess, it doesn't seem to be relevant to the message in any deep fashion; it's apparently there just because the show takes place in a mirror dimension where low-fi tech and kooky shit can happen.

Anyway, the human element still manages to bring it all together before it wraps up, but at the risk of a certain amount of on-the-nose sentimentality (especially with Hill's character deciding to do the right thing at the end, and Stone stealing him away from an institution he was forced into yet seemed to be getting helpful therapy from (which is the right way to shoot for a happy ending, but the wrong way to send a message about dealing with schizophrenia), and Stone's character needing her father to lecture her on what friendship is, in a scene that cheapens the subtext by making it text).

In the end, it's a show I liked well enough despite (or even because of) all its weird, messy, blackly funny ways, but couldn't escape the notion that the show never really earned the ending they went with. Which is fine; I'm happy they tried, and they got some beautiful moments on the way to that ending, and that's by far the more important thing.

Oh and P.S.: Grace van Patten had a very minor role in the show as Olivia, but I'll be damned if she didn't seem like she could be Sansa Stark's American sister, but infinitely more likeable and lovable in every frame she was in.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 4th Nov 2018 at 15:26.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielee View Post
    I watched "I Am Legend" of Will Smith.
    Starts great, turns to crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    It's Blake Calamar, the other investigator
    Oh, yeah. He's probably the worst thing in it. Persist though, it's really good.

I recently watch the whole series of Prison Break.

Good side to working in the uni world is you get lots of free time (whilst still earning decent cash). Today got up around midday, so the midday movies were on (as generally happens on Thursdays). Lately they've been putting some decent movies on at that time slot, where prior there was always boring stuff on. It's become a good source of movie discoveries that I'd either watched before and forgotten, or movies I'd not seen before.

A week or so ago they had the movie "Other Peoples Money" starring Danny Devito, that I'd definitely not seen before. Good movie.

This week's movie was "St Vincent", starring Bill Murray, Meliisa McCarthy and a heap of other people. Great movie. Can't say I'd even heard of it before. Definitely recommend it. Certainly finding that as I grow older and mellow out, that I'm enjoying drama films far more than when I was younger. Changing tastes I guess.
    Last edited by icemann; 9th Nov 2018 at 22:16.

El Shagmeister
    The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina was fun. Castlevania was also fun.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I've also been watching Castlevania S2, it's my current Saturday morning show. S1 was great, S2 is... merely good.

but anyway "THE BALLAD OF BUSTER SCRUGGS" IS OUT! New Coen Brothers movie, an anthology of 6 short stories, on Netflix. It started off good, and I figured "ok, they're starting off with the good stuff, right?" but no, IT ONLY GETS BETTER! The Zoe Kazan and Tom Waits segments were my faves.

Just seen Bohemian Rhapsody. It's not a good movie, and not a biopic, more like homage-musical? If anything, it reminded me again that Queen's music is just timeless, even with my rock days so long behind me. Basically, any excuse to listen to Queen loud in a venue is always a good one.

Still Subjective
    Blow, with Johnny Depp.

I'm into inspired by true stories atm. Thinking of giving Moneyball a go, and The Big Short (though that's not on free streaming here).

If anyone has any recs I'd appreciate the.

Also, Heathers. I don't think they'd get away with it now. Shame I can't find Pump Up The Volume on free stream.

Also also - Say Anything, AND THEN Grosse Point Blank, which seems like an amazing sequel. It's like a two part John Cusack biopic!

Also The Titan. Meh.

Phenomena a.k.a. Creepers. Well that was fucking weird.

Page 176 of 210 FirstFirst ... 76126131136141146151156161166171172173174175176177178179180181186191196201206 ... LastLast